Long awaited return to Wivenhoe House. Second visit for another one night stay. Great deal on a wonderful room in the main house. Fabulous accommodation, way beyond expectations. Really comfortable and relaxing after a long trip South. Surprised to see the grubby marks on the door but guess wear and tear inevitable. Did not detract in any way from the quality of the accommodation provided. Probably the best hotel room I've experienced in the UK. Great Apple Mac and TV combination, Inclusive Wifi. Super quality, beautifully presented and excellent bathroom. Really comfortable bed. No aircon, no problem it's about time we enjoyed a proper summer and some warmth. Modern fan provided air movement which was fine for me.
Disappointing that Signatures restaurant experience wasn't available but enjoyed a good meal in The Brasserie. Pigeon starter was tasty, slightly over and just warm but still enjoyable and not really worthy of complaint. Rib eye was cooked as requested and no complaints. Attentive, professional, relaxed, and friendly service. Like the feel of the Brasserie, modern, functional but comfortable and pleasant restaurant.
Cooked English Breakfast was OK but not special. Not really the standard expected for the restaurant and hotel. Good service but let down by mediocre cooking. Two fried eggs combined into a mass of bubbled egg white with no visible yolks. Quickly spotted by waiter and replaced but similar provided as replacement. Not the end of the world but surprised at the standard of breakfast on this occassion which lowered my overall review, for this visit, to very good
Overall experience was high due to accommodation and evening meal.
For me the Wivenhoe House is still an excellent place to stay. I will return at the earliest opportunity.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Re-opened in June 2012 after a £10 Million refurbishment, Wivenhoe House Hotel is a 17th Century country house, which is also home to the Edge Hotel School. Students at the school work alongside professionals, as they study for their degree in Hotel Management. There are 40 rooms, 16 in the main house and 24 in the more modern garden wing. The brasserie offers breakfast lunch and dinner daily, and afternoon tea is served in the drawing room daily. The panoramic views over the wooded parkland tot he University of Essex, are stunning. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Hotels.com, Expedia, Priceline, Odigeo and SpeedyBooker.com so you can book your Wivenhoe House reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Wivenhoe House Hotel Colchester
- Wivenhoe Hotel Colchester
- Wivenhoe House Essex