All reviews afternoon tea university campus hotel management sandwiches an apple brasserie restaurant new wing old house the main house macaroons coffee machine garden wing beautiful room no air conditioning waiting staff sunday lunch walk in shower
Reviewed 4 April 2017

My wife and l on a whim came to Wivenhoe House on the recommendation of a friend. We stayed in the Wyvern Suite and we had a lovely one night stay. The staff, the decor, the food and grounds were a joy to experience. We think that this place is a hidden gem. We will return for longer soon.

Date of stay: April 2017
Trip type: Travelled as a couple
OJQBrown, General Manager at Wivenhoe House, responded to this reviewResponded 21 April 2017

Dear Zari

I am so pleased you enjoyed your recent visit, and even more pleased to read that you will be back! Best rates can be found on our website.

Regards for now,

Reviewed 23 March 2017

Me and my sister came to this hotel a few months ago because I had booked us both a spa day and had a lovely experience. The bedroom was nice and cosy we had a garden view room with a balcony looking out onto the rugby field and gardens, unfortunately we arrive quite late so couldn't make the most of the balcony. We thoroughly enjoyed our dinner the waiters/waitresses very attentive towards us. Loved the idea of having the hotel on university grounds with uni students running the hotel. I would say that the room was a little bit small but very enjoyable all in all.

Date of stay: June 2016
  • Trip type: Travelled with family
OJQBrown, General Manager at Wivenhoe House, responded to this reviewResponded 6 April 2017

Dear Kate,

Thank you for your review. As we do not have a Spa (yet, watch this space), I assume you were somewhere local?

Very pleased you enjoyed you stay, however, perhaps next time you may consider a slightly larger room, which will give you a little more comfort.

Kind regards for now.

Reviewed 21 March 2017

I stayed three nights in this hotel while on a business trip to the University of Essex. The staff comes primarily from the hospitality school, and they do a great job.
The check-in was fast yet the women not as friendly as the rest of the people I ran into.
A young man, Victor (?), showed me to my room. He forgot to take my bag, but he was very friendly, enthusiastic and made me feel at home.
The room was big, a rain-forest shower head, clean, comfortable bed with extra pillows and a great view in the morning overlooking the countryside and campus.

I ate breakfast everyday and also two lunches. Everyone in the restaurant was friendly and responsive. A special thanks to Titus from Lithuania who treated me as royalty.
My last morning, I needed to get out of my room to work on a report. There is a nice parlor off the reception with excellent access.
A great hotel at a great price. I highly recommend it.

Room tip: Ask for a room in the new part of the building: bigger with a view overlooking the university. Very picturesque/bucolic.
Date of stay: March 2017
  • Trip type: Travelled on business

Dear Chris,

I am so pleased you enjoyed your stay whilst on business at the University.

Thank you for the mention of the students from the Edge Hotel School, who work alongside us whilst they study for their degrees in Hotel Management. They are learning, but on the whole do a great job, and get a lot out of it.

Great to hear that you enjoyed your breakfasts and lunches in our brasserie too.

Hope to see you if you return tot he University.

Regards

Reviewed 20 March 2017

Hidden away on the edge of Colchester is this 'gem' which offer overnight stays, meals and afternoon teas, the last of which is served in an old fashioned dining room which adds to the experience. The service was friendly and efficient.

Date of stay: March 2017
  • Trip type: Travelled as a couple

Thank you for taking the time to post your review, it is much appreciated.

Reviewed 17 March 2017 via mobile

Regularly spend weekends in Wivenhoe and continue to be wowed by this beautiful hotel.
Firstly. Thank you Bev - for sorting out our room; our stay was incredible.
The room was spectacular - the service fabulous
5 stars ❤❤❤❤❤

Date of stay: February 2017
Trip type: Travelled as a couple

Dear Gillie,

It is always a pleasure to welcome you back, i am delighted to read we continue to meet (maybe exceed) your expectations. Great to read that Bev looked after you do well.

See you again soon?