“Sadly not as good as it should be....”
Review of The Crown

The Crown
Ranked #2 of 3 Cookham B&B and Inns
Reviewed 23 June 2012

Having visited numerous times for a drink, I decided to have lunch here with my wife. I had the fish & chips and she had a salad. She also ordered a side order of fries. The oil was old so the batter on the fish and chips were very poor. The rest was of a very basic pub food quality.

My wife has dined here four times now and in her words "I think less of the food on each visit - and this is the last time".

We are very local and really want this place to be good - I can only hope the pub dosen't rely on its location for success as this will be short lived.

• Stayed: June 2012
2  Thank FilletSteakandChips

Reviewed 16 June 2012

An excellent lunch. Staff were friendly and welcoming. The food was very good. There were three real ales on tap plus a good selection of wines. It's been refurbished so you can now see the chefs busy in the kitchen. We will return.

• Stayed: June 2012, travelled with family
Reviewed 9 June 2012

I didn't expect much when I booked a stay at this village pub. Boy was I pleasantly surprised! The staff were friendly, prompt and helpful. My luggage was carried upstairs for me, my every wish was accommodated, and everyone was warm and welcoming. The room itself was newly renovated with very stylish furnishings and a beautiful modern bathroom. The shower was wonderful, large and with great water pressure. There was a flat-screen tv, and a hairdryer was provided to me upon my request. The food was great -- I had a delicious hamburger, which I was able to bring to my room from the bar below -- and the full English breakfast was plentiful and delicious, served by friendly, prompt staff.

My only complaint was the occasional slamming of doors by other guests, and the din of customers in the bar below -- to be expected in public house accommodation, and easily dealt with by use of ear plugs. Otherwise, my stay here was extremely relaxing at a reasonable price. Would I stay here again? Absolutely.

• Stayed: May 2012, travelled solo
Reviewed 21 May 2012

We had lunch at The Crown to celebrate our wedding anniversary. As we live in Cookham we had watched the refurbishment move along so were intrigued to see inside and to try out the new menu. Initially the restaurant was appealing but we soon realised that the tables hadn't been cleaned properly and there were crumbs on the sofas and floors. The table flowers looked a little sad, however, the serving staff were very courteous and welcoming. One of the chosen meals was salmon which was delicious served on a nice hot plate. The other cold meal was OK but presentation was lacking. After the meal we asked for a Costa coffee, only to be told that the machine had broken! The waitress offered an instant coffee instead! So we decided it was time to end the lunch and asked for the bill. All in all, worth a visit. Good menu, although no tiger prawns unfortunately! We think this may continue to be the preferred pub to visit for outdoor dining and for a cold drink in the summer.

• Stayed: May 2012, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 15 May 2012

I can't stress enough how poorly run this hotel is.

I checked in to be led to the wrong room 2 times, then had to wait 30 mins for the key to my room, Internet code and jug of milk. I had to go to get it myself.

The fire alarm went off at 5.45am as a result of someone having a shower! The owners were nowhere to be seen, so the alarm continued until 6.45am when the chef turned up to cook breakfast. To make things worse, the fire brigade did not turn up so if there was a fire the place would have burned down!

If you need a receipt to claim work expenses forget it, they don't have a printer! was promised it by email but nothing has arrived, surprise surprise.

The Uk is full amateurs running hotels/pubs and I'm afraid the owners will become a statistic soon of establishments changing hands.

• Stayed: May 2012, travelled on business
2  Thank Rhodri S
Reviewed 14 May 2012

We stayed here this weekend just gone for Rock the Moor and were delighted to find the rooms stylishly and comfortably done. The pub was packed, and despite the act the staff was rushed off their feet serving and preparing for the concert, they were efficient, friendly and very helpful. Breakfast was delicious and we will definitely be coming back soon.

• Stayed: May 2012, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 27 April 2012

Had a fantastic meal at the new 'Crown' on Cookham Moor. It has been closed for a few months for a complete makeover but reopened this week. They have done a fantasic job. Lovely old picturesque building (flowers and tables everywher outside)in a great location and now just as good inside. The new chef cooked an excellent meal and the prices were reasonable. Don't drink wine but wide range of real ales and lagers. It was packed and think it will stay this way. Friendly, efficient service. Will be back as the menu is fantastic. Saw the new rooms and they look good and comfortable but I only live 400 yards away!

Room Tip: Book early it will be packed. Nothing else to choose from in Cookham apart from B & B or at twic...