“Great Sunday Lunch”

The Kings Arms
Ranked #8 of 18 Restaurants in Cookham
Price range: US$5 - US$32
Cuisines: Bar, British, Pub, Gastropub
Good for: Special Occasion Dining, Groups, Bar Scene, Local cuisine, Child-friendly
Dining options: Brunch, Dinner, Lunch, After-hours, Accepts American Express, Accepts Discover, Accepts Mastercard, Accepts Visa, Buffet, Digital Payments, Free Off-Street Parking, Free Wifi, Full Bar, Highchairs Available, Outdoor Seating, Parking Available, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible, Wine and Beer
High Wycombe, United Kingdom
“Great Sunday Lunch”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 June 2014

Had a Father's Day lunch here today and was very impressed with both the food and the service. From the greeting when we arrived to the end of the meal the welcome and the service was excellent on what was a very busy day. Couldn't fault the food and everyone enjoyed their meal. Would definitely re-visit.

• Visited June 2014
1 Thank Traveller1411

Reading, United Kingdom
“Does the chef know what gluten is?”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 June 2014

We have just come back from a Sunday evening meal at the King's Arms. When we arrived we were greeted by an unsmiling but efficient member of staff who I presume was the manager. We were then served throughout the evening by Coady, who was great and has earned the only one star I'm giving it.

I do not eat wheat, and therefore enquired about gluten free options. I wanted the lamb shoulder with dauphinoise potatoes, or the sea bass with mash. Coady went to the kitchen to find out. He came back and reported that on a menu of 15 or so main courses, the only thing that I could have was salmon. I did not want salmon, so he went back to the kitchen to ask again. He then told me that the sea bass was finished, and if I had the lamb it would have no sauce and I could only have boiled potatoes. I, somewhat incredulously, declined this, and asked if I could perhaps have a steak, again he went to the kitchen. I could have steak, but it would not be seasoned, and it would not have any butter, at which Coady, rather puzzled said, maybe you could just have plain butter, not seasoned (since when does salt and pepper involve gluten?). I then asked if I could have a garden salad with a lobster tail. He went to check and said that I could have salad but that it would have no dressing. Perhaps some olive oil - I enquired. This seemed to be ok. The salad arrived, it was tasteless, boring and without any olive oil. The saving grace was the lobster tail which was lovely.

We looked at the desert menu, there were a few things that tempted me - creme brûlée, cheese, ice cream, but I was told that the only thing on the whole menu that I could have was the sorbet. Now, I understand that the creme brûlée was served with shortbread, and the cheese with biscuits, but surely the chef could have offered these without the biscuits??? We did not order pudding!

In 15 years of following a gluten-free diet, this is the worst service I have experienced in a restaurant. I understand that chefs need to be cautious, but it would have been perfectly possible and relatively easy to offer many of the dishes on the menu, tailored to accommodate me. As for the non gluten free options, my partners roast beef was not that great either. We will not be going back.

• Visited June 2014
1 Thank Eira P
London, United Kingdom
“Well Done”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 June 2014

We were a party of 20 people eating from the menu; not easy for the waiting team nor the kitchen. They came up with the goods; excellent quality of food and service with smiles despite the pressure they were under. Of course we had to wait, but the food quality, the atmosphere and those smiles made up for that; besides we were there to enjoy ourselves. We did. Recommend.

• Visited April 2014
St Albans, United Kingdom
“Good food . . .”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 May 2014

This old pub has been modernised to "gastro-pub" with mixed results. The decor and ambience are lovely. Obviously the venue of choice for the well-heeled commuter residents. The food was very decent to very good depending on choice (there were quite a lot of us so won't go into the individual meals), but the service was very slow despite it being early on a chilly Saturday morning with few other customers. If it had been a warmer day with customers in the garden they may have had a very long wait. I gave a "very good" rating as it is definitely above average, but still wish that Tripadvisor would add "good" as this is what I feel this establishment deserves.

• Visited May 2014
Maidenhead, England
“Perfect Sunday Lunch”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 May 2014

The Kings Arms is a great place to eat in Cookham, a pretty village beside the River Thames. The food and service are both excellent and the ambience is good too. The interior has been divided into smaller areas. The cuisine is fairly traditional, really what you'd expect in an English village. Word of warning, though: you do need to book and you can do this easily on line. There is a good choice of places to eat in Cookham but I wouldn't go anywhere else. This was my 3rd recent visit and I'm hoping to be taken there on Fathers' Day.

• Visited May 2014