“Historic Inn with fabulous food and delightful service”
Review of Bel & The Dragon

Bel & The Dragon
Ranked #1 of 3 Cookham B&B and Inns
Loughton, United Kingdom
“Historic Inn with fabulous food and delightful service”
Reviewed 2 December 2013

We stayed overnight at this lovely historic inn while attending a birthday celebration in their restaurant. We were really taken with the exceptional hospitality and service culture which appears endemic amongst all the staff. The food, which is of a very high quality, is locally sourced and delicious. The bread at breakfast was baked on the premises and almost out of the oven. The dinner served for 50+ people was amazing, and despite the number of guests, the food was hot, plentiful, super tasty and served with a smile. Our room was small but charming and interesting with a very comfy bed. Great shower (decent size, shower head etc) and high quality towels.
Generous hospitality provided to guests with complimentary single malt whisky on the landing and sloe gin in the room! If we are ever need a room in the area again, I will definitely look to try and book again.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled with friends

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (23)
Lewes, United Kingdom
Reviewed 5 November 2013

This is the best pub hotel I've ever stayed in. I travel and stay away a lot with work, so much so that I am a Hilton Diamond member(to those who don't know, that means I'm away, a lot), so I get to see a lot of hotels. The Bel & Dragon is lovely, the heritage building has been lovingly restored, it tastefully marries it's antiquity with understated designer style. My room was comfortable and charming, it had a delightful little ensuite child's room (the doorway is only 4'6" high, the bed the same in length) with a selection of children's books to read, which would be great for a family with a small child. The bed had a good decent mattress. The food in the restaurant is really superb, a real pleasure, and the staff are attentive and discrete. I'm here in November so it's dark when I return work, but it looks like the surrounding area is also lovely, there is the River Thames a few minutes walk, and it's ridiculously picturesque even at this tie of year, it looks like there are probably some lovely walks along it. The complimentary whisky on the guest landing is a real treat, proper 12 year old malts, and good ones too! Cheers!

• Stayed November 2013, travelled on business
1 Thank Adam G
Bedford, United Kingdom
Reviewed 17 October 2013

Had a lovely stay - room was very comfortable and clean, small but well-appointed shower room and the added bonus of a bottle of damson vodka in the room and a choice of two malt whiskies to sample on the windowsill halfway down the stairs!
Dinner was excellent and breakfast delicious but the overriding quality of Bel and the Dragon is the fantastic service – the staff are knowledgeable, charming and efficient and nothing is too much trouble.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled with friends
Leeds UK
Reviewed 10 September 2013

I stayed here on a business trip, as I am bored bored bored of the chain hotels and their identikit rooms and lacklustre service.

The room I had was small, but with incredible decor, it is plain but perfect. The feature of my room was the large shower and exceptional bathroom.

The quality of the fixtures & fittings is first class, and just the little things, like properly fluffy towels, high quality bedding and being able to open a window are literally a breathe of fresh air.

Lost a star due to there not being allergy free bedding in the room, it may have been available, but as I didn't notice until late at night, I had to deal with it. Its a shame I'm allergic, as the bedding wash incredible quality.

A lovely stay, and I'll be back when on business, and won't be over sharing about this hotel, as it's small and I want to make sure I can get in!

Room Tip: A little quirky, but a wonderful change from the usual grim business hotel
  • Stayed September 2013, travelled on business
1 Thank Mooseman100
London
Reviewed 9 August 2013

I recently spent a night at this wonderful country pub and restaurant. My daughter took me for a birthday treat. We knew the chef from our visits to Claridges in London, and wanted to experience his food in a country setting. We were not disappointed. It was the best slow cooked belly of pork I have ever eaten. Every dish was fabulous, the breakfast amazing. The rooms, only five in total, are beautifully decorated, and the bathrooms bang up to date. There is even complimentary Sloe Gin in all the rooms. The gardens are very relaxing, and because the weather was so good, we were able to have dinner outside on the terrace. We will certainly return soon.

Room Tip: One of the rooms has a perfect little hobbit room attached for a child, it is magical
  • Stayed July 2013, travelled with family
Sheffield
Reviewed 30 July 2013 via mobile

I had eaten here before several times and liked it very much but this time we booked in to stay the night for a friends surprise birthday dinner. They have made many changes. The restaurant is more open than before with lovely decor and it feels comfortable and homely. The service was excellent and staff were really friendly and very helpful. The food was good but quite pricey. We were most impressed with our twin room which immediately felt warm and inviting and despite being at the back and only having a view of the roof. The bathroom was amazing with a huge walk in rain shower and white tiled walls and floor. It has obviously been recently upgraded. Breakfast had a wide choice including a few hot dishes and lovely bread. Highly recommended!

• Stayed July 2013
Also consider these accommodations in or near Cookham
Cliveden House
Grovefield House
Grovefield House
#1 of 3 in Burnham
Chequers Inn Hotel and Restaurant

Been to Bel & The Dragon? Share your experiences!