“Chef's Day Off?”

Cuisines: Chinese
Dining options: After-hours, Delivery, Reservations
Dining options: After-hours, Delivery, Reservations
Reviewed 10 June 2014

Having used the Chef Peking for 40 years in its various re-incarnations at Maidenhead, Cookham and Henley, I stopped using it after the poor, stale food served to us at a disastrous £3000-plus private party for 50 business friends in 2001.

2014 saw me willing to re-try. I took a party of four to the Cookham outlet, and, perhaps foolishly, ordered the £25 per head fixed menu, which I assumed would be pretty jolly good at that price. Suffice to say that it will be another few years before I re-open my Asian food experiment programme with this profitable group..

I may have too high an expectation, as I spend quite a bit of time in the Far East, where one dines so well (for so little). A maxim used by Asian diners is 'Never try an empty restaurant' - had I acted on that , I would not have entered - we were the only customers for the session.

This is a good spot for MSG enthusiasts and for anyone who revels in dried pre-shredded crispy(??) duck in dry pancakes. (Used to be skilfully prepared from a fresh side of duck, at the table.) I would complain about the tiny portions, had the food been enjoyable, but as it was, I was grateful that they had put us on ration.

Why not complain at the time? Because I am English and I was entertaining old friends. We don't do that. Had I been alone, I would have sent some dishes back for replacement with newly-cooked, or required a significant alteration to the heavy bill.

Service was fine- but why not? That's all the front-of-house people have to get right.
I only once had a more disappointing Chinese meal - knocked up by an Armenian in Crete. That was predictable!

Notwithstanding, I am impressed to see that so many of the reviews are so positive, and I suppose that many reviewers wrote from long experience of critical culinary appreciation. Shame my own trial-run bore such unripe fruit.

As good (or poor) as the Llandrindod Wells take-away.....

3  Thank plateman65

Reviewed 20 May 2014

Lovely food, often too much; extremely pleasant personal service. it is lovely to be welcomed with our favourite bottle of wine on its way. Lots of new dishes to try from time to time. never fdails to cheer us up after a ahard day!

1  Thank Barbara10sep
Reviewed 16 May 2014

Been visiting The Peking Inn for years with my family now and they have NEVER disappointed! The food is always superb with friendly and prompt service! The staff are great - really nice people. We have tried other Chinese restaurants in the surrounding area and have yet to find one that competes with the overall experience. Would highly recommend!

Reviewed 13 May 2014

It is the only Chinese restaurant around, the food is fine without being great , the service is ok
Without being special and the prices are a little higher than what they should have been in my opinion.
But still it is the only Chinese restaurant around and it is not that bad.

Reviewed 19 April 2014 via mobile

My wife booked a table for 9 pm as an impromptu night out after the birth of out son. She advised them we would be bringing our 3 week old baby son who would be asleep in his push chair. They confirmed that this was fine and a table would be available for us at this time, we were on a tight schedule due to baby feeding times. When we arrived we were advised no table was available. The staff were rude and advised we took a 10-15 min walk and a table would then be ready. We returned 20 mins later only to be told no table would be available.... No apology only that if you book a table on a Saturday this can happen!!! Result= ruined Saturday night. My Q...what was the point in booking? Ans....no response! This restraunt appears to be too money focused. The food is average but the service/staff are terrible. Personally will never return, shame as have been using this Restraunt on and off with the family since childhood. No more!

1  Thank Jellis8832