“A Good Place to Eat”

Price range: US$18 - US$29
Cuisines: British
Good for: Business meetings
Dining options: After-hours, Dinner, Reservations
Description: Great British pub serving great British classics.
Reviewed 3 December 2013

My husband and I had meals in this pub on Tuesday and Saturday last week. Both meals were delicious. On Saturday I had limited time to eat and the meal was served very promptly. We don't live in the area so we can't go regularly but if we did I would.

Reviewed 28 November 2013

The George and Dragon has had a chequered history and not one we would frequent in the past. However, the new owners are really trying to make this a place to consider in Risborough. Tonight four of us enjoyed well executed meals. Flavoursome and well presented. The downside was the long wait for service, nearly 45 minutes until our order was taken. Then we had the indignation of being asked to leave our table at 10.00pm, because they needed to clean, and move us to the bar area. This was not acceptable as the bar was noisy, with the sports channel blaring out on the TV. We were also told last orders for food was 8.30pm?! We paid and left, probably won't return because of the lack of thought towards restaurant customers. Shame as Risborough is crying out for a good traditional restaurant venue. The George and Dragon is offering the food, not the service.

1  Thank Posh68
Ian B, Owner at George & Dragon, responded to this reviewResponded 4 December 2013

Dear Reviewer,
Thank you for taking the time to post a review after your evening with us. I was sorry to read that you did not enjoy your evening.

I understand that you had booked a table with 3 friends at 19.30, you were seated by our Bar Manager Ben, I know that he served you with some drinks and left you with the menus. During the next quarter of an hour, the restaurant became quite busy with walk in guests, the waiter knowing you were happy with your menus and drinks, took some other orders that were un-booked, this did put pressure on the kitchen, it meant that the waiting on staff took longer to take other orders. I have spoken to them and this was an oversight. In reference to you being asked to move through to the bar, this was unacceptable and I apologize to you, this is not our policy and it should not have happened.

I hope that given the explanation above you will give thought to joining us again, especially as I was pleased to read that despite these setbacks you did enjoy the food.

Kind Regards

Ian

Reviewed 22 November 2013

Firstly served beer with plastic sheet in glass. Dinner took three quarters of an hour to come half if the meals were missing ie no veg no tomatoes no onion rings. Rare steak cooked to death. No sorry manager arrogant.

2  Thank Tringterri
Ian B, Owner at George & Dragon, responded to this reviewResponded 23 November 2013

Dear Reviewer,

Thank you for taking the time to post your review. We were sorry to read that you didn’t enjoy your meal. Having spoken to the team today, I understand that you were informed of the delay to the side vegetables and onion rings by our waiter, he was the gentleman you mistaking mistook for a manger. His first language is Greek and therefore his accent when dealing with could have been misconstrued, he may have also been slightly uncomfortable as he had been forced to ask your table to keep the noise down due to complaints from other diners.

However I was pleased to note that several of your party must have enjoyed there meal as there was a generous tip left.

Regards

Ian and Elle

Reviewed 13 November 2013

staff very helpful and friendly,food excellent and at the right price, room comfortable clean and very well equipped can't fault the place well done all look forward to my next stay with you keep up the good work.
cheers
steve cooke

Reviewed 5 November 2013

2 visits here recently and the food was just fabulous First visit my steak was cooked to perfection. I believe they get their meat from the local butchers. As a result decided to try Sunday lunch which in most pubs I find disappointing with meat being rather bland and stringy,
Not here the meat was absolutely delicious and so tasty rounded off with good quality roast potatoes , Yorkshire Pudding and veg
All this with a good quality ale or 2 to wash it down with and we will definately be back

Ian B, Owner at George & Dragon, responded to this reviewResponded 6 November 2013

Thank you for your great review, we are delighted that you enjoyed your meals with us at The George & Dragon and we look forward to seeing you again soon.

Ian & Elle