“The manageress needs to go on a customer service course”
Review of George & Dragon

George & Dragon
Price range: US$18 - US$29
Cuisines: British
Good for: Business meetings
Dining options: Dinner, After-hours, Reservations
Description: Great British pub serving great British classics.
Reviewed 9 December 2013

I have never been so insulted while being apologised at.

Although clearly marked as pre-order received in her diary, the manageress denied we had pre-ordered our Xmas meals. At no stage was the word sorry mentioned. We were offered a free round of drinks and 20% of the meal but only after we were publicly called liars, even then she did not apologise. She even asked us if we were going to order or were we going to go away.

My mum had come over from Portugal and this was supposed to be a special meal as we are not gong to have Christmas Day together but all we are left with is a sense of anger at the incredible rudeness.

9  Thank Sally-Anne C
Ian B, General Manager at George & Dragon, responded to this reviewResponded 10 December 2013

Dear Reviewer,

Thank you for taking the time to post a review, although I must admit I am surprised at its content as I personally dealt with your complaint.

As I explained to you we had not received your pre-order, far from hiding anything from you I had my Husband and Bar Manager check all emails that had been received as I was talking to you. We have had over 350 people booking tables with us over the festive season and I have received the majority of other pre-orders through email without issue. Secondly with a party over 6 people and especially on a Saturday night we would have requested a deposit from you at the time of receiving your email conformation, a second reason why I was confidently able to confirm we had not received it.

I use trip advisor myself and my Husband and I try to respond to all comments left by our guests whether they are positive or negative as feedback is an important part of helping improve our business.

I however feel most strongly on the suggestion in your review that I was rude or discourteous to you as I do not believe this was the case. I made a genuine offer of complimentary drinks and a 20% discount on your food bill, this was not done out of trying to cover up a lost email, it was done as I wanted to try to give you an enjoyable evening after a difficult start.

Regards

Elle Betchley

Reviewed 4 December 2013

Food was very good and didnt have to wait long for it to come. Excellent value for money. Staff all very friendly. Will go again. :-)

Reviewed 3 December 2013

My husband and I had meals in this pub on Tuesday and Saturday last week. Both meals were delicious. On Saturday I had limited time to eat and the meal was served very promptly. We don't live in the area so we can't go regularly but if we did I would.

Reviewed 28 November 2013

The George and Dragon has had a chequered history and not one we would frequent in the past. However, the new owners are really trying to make this a place to consider in Risborough. Tonight four of us enjoyed well executed meals. Flavoursome and well presented. The downside was the long wait for service, nearly 45 minutes until our order was taken. Then we had the indignation of being asked to leave our table at 10.00pm, because they needed to clean, and move us to the bar area. This was not acceptable as the bar was noisy, with the sports channel blaring out on the TV. We were also told last orders for food was 8.30pm?! We paid and left, probably won't return because of the lack of thought towards restaurant customers. Shame as Risborough is crying out for a good traditional restaurant venue. The George and Dragon is offering the food, not the service.

1  Thank Posh68
Ian B, Owner at George & Dragon, responded to this reviewResponded 4 December 2013

Dear Reviewer,
Thank you for taking the time to post a review after your evening with us. I was sorry to read that you did not enjoy your evening.

I understand that you had booked a table with 3 friends at 19.30, you were seated by our Bar Manager Ben, I know that he served you with some drinks and left you with the menus. During the next quarter of an hour, the restaurant became quite busy with walk in guests, the waiter knowing you were happy with your menus and drinks, took some other orders that were un-booked, this did put pressure on the kitchen, it meant that the waiting on staff took longer to take other orders. I have spoken to them and this was an oversight. In reference to you being asked to move through to the bar, this was unacceptable and I apologize to you, this is not our policy and it should not have happened.

I hope that given the explanation above you will give thought to joining us again, especially as I was pleased to read that despite these setbacks you did enjoy the food.

Kind Regards

Ian

Reviewed 22 November 2013

Firstly served beer with plastic sheet in glass. Dinner took three quarters of an hour to come half if the meals were missing ie no veg no tomatoes no onion rings. Rare steak cooked to death. No sorry manager arrogant.

2  Thank Tringterri
Ian B, Owner at George & Dragon, responded to this reviewResponded 23 November 2013

Dear Reviewer,

Thank you for taking the time to post your review. We were sorry to read that you didn’t enjoy your meal. Having spoken to the team today, I understand that you were informed of the delay to the side vegetables and onion rings by our waiter, he was the gentleman you mistaking mistook for a manger. His first language is Greek and therefore his accent when dealing with could have been misconstrued, he may have also been slightly uncomfortable as he had been forced to ask your table to keep the noise down due to complaints from other diners.

However I was pleased to note that several of your party must have enjoyed there meal as there was a generous tip left.

Regards