The Bull Inn
TripAdvisor
TripAdvisor
The George Inn(Chardstock)
  • Restaurant
All reviewsthe pubgin cured salmonhear every movementmassive showershoulder of lambyoung teamlarge glasshakethe barnincluded in the room ratehand cut chipspieopen fireplacelovely bedavoid roomlow ceilingssunday roast
Reviewed 29 May 2013

I stayed here mid-week in April with my two year old daughter and overall had a really good stay. The pub has a really nice ambience which is just right for the setting and the landlords are very welcoming and friendly. The room I stayed in was beautiful with nice views down Charlbury's main streets, beautifully furnished and nicely appointed. What really made it for me were the nice service touches: the landlady -- upon discovering I had left a nearly empty bottle of milk for my daughter in my room -- took it upon herself to put a miniature fridge in there in order to store it which was very thoughtful and they were very helpful in storing the huge amount of childrens' paraphernalia I brought. The English breakfast is second to none with the best bacon and mushrooms I have had for a long time and generous servings. Only two very small gripes which stopped it from being a five-star experience: the bed was a bit on the small side for a double and the room was a little bit noisy on the second night as it is immediately above the front bar, but on the second point I would imagine there isn't much that can be done about this. In general, highly recommended for Cotswold walkers or tourists.

• Stayed: April 2013, travelled with family
Reviewed 15 May 2013

We booked a table for 9 of us on a Saturday evening. Two of us were vegetarian; as the standard menu only offers one vegetarian (pasta) dish, we had asked in advance what vegetarian meals they would be able to cook us. The chef could only come up with one alternative. The service was slow, the olives we ordered never arrived. The wine was very expensive. When we got our main meals we were shocked by the small size of the portions. My vegetarian dish must have covered 4 table spoons. The risotto that came with the chicken was undercooked and went back to the kitchen. The food was tasty but very poor value for money. Would never return.

• Stayed: May 2013, travelled with friends
4  Thank Nicole S
Reviewed 4 May 2013

Went here as a result of an entry in the GM Ball book "Forty Classic Cotswold Pubs" and weren't disappointed. We arrived at 1.30 and it was quiet but the food and the ambience were great. Friendly, helpful staff and a really nice time. Would go again.

Stayed: May 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 18 March 2013

We had a great family lunch at The Bull Inn in Charlbury this weekend. Lovely old Cotswold pub, appropriately updated inside. Staff very friendly; proprietor very hands on and keen to make the experience as enjoyable as possible. We were there on a Sunday and the roast dinners were not only ample but really good quality - well cooked and well presented. Mid range prices but good quality and overall a really pleasant dining experience. And Charlbury is a really picturesque Cotswold vollage/town to stroll around.

• Stayed: March 2013, travelled with family
Reviewed 17 January 2013

It’s rare for me enjoying eating out, being a chef, but had a lovely meal with my parents this lunchtime. All the starters were lovely, very tasty and well balanced. They were all my favourite type of starters that like to cook, so was in heaven! I tried all the starters, and could have eaten more! My mother was very happy with her duck main, and my father really enjoyed his pheasant. The pheasant sauce was excellent, just how I make it. The highlight of the meal was the rhubarb crème brulee. Absolutely spot on, being nice and creamy, and not over cooked in a bain marie. A perfect brulee crunch too. Both my father and I could have eaten another two more brulees each! Great friendly service too. Sandy was lovely. I thoroughly recommend eating here.

• Stayed: January 2013, travelled with family