“Just what we were looking for...”
Review of The Bull Inn

The Bull Inn
Ranked #1 of 3 Charlbury B&B and Inns
Reviewed 6 February 2009

A pub with rooms in a picture perfect cotswold village with a warm welcome, log fires, cosy rooms with lovely touches (towelling dressing gowns, toiletries, tea/coffee facilities, roberts radio etc) at half the price others in our party paid at a 'posher' establishment in the vicinity.
Excellent breakfast.

• Stayed: December 2008, travelled with friends
1  Thank Apuleius
There are newer reviews for The Bull Inn

Reviewed 4 November 2008

We found The Bull to be very friendly, clean and comfortable. Our room was spacious and warm. We did not eat in the restaurant, however, the breakfast was well cooked & set us up for the day visiting the local area. Its location near to the station was ideal (approx 10 minute walk). The owners were very friendly and helpful. We would not hesitate to stay there again on a future visit to the area.

• Stayed: October 2008, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Westy65
Reviewed 11 September 2008

After seeing the web-site of the Bull, I was sure it would be a charming place - I love and am proud of the English countyrside and the 'institution' of the B&B.
However, what greeted us was far from charming....!
The place itself was fine - a country pub with some rooms upstairs. Myself and a girl friend were staying, after a day time event nearby, as we did not want to drive back to London later that Saturday.
We returned to the pub in the evening, had a nice meal (service a little surly by the owner, but the waitresses were really sweet and we just wanted some nice food before getting some sleep), and retired to our room.
On walking in we were immediately confronted by the cold (it was the weekend where we all finally turned our heating on!) I went down to the bar to ask for a heater (the radiators were stone cold) - the owner was extremely rude. He said they had none and that he was NOT turning on the heating - I had not even asked him to! I was quite shocked by that and thought perhaps I needed to prove that the room was not warm enough for a comfortable night's sleep. So I asked him to come up and check - his colleague came up. She checked the room and went away saying she would try to find us a heater. She never returned! By this time it was sometime after 11.30pm. I found myself putting on all my clothes and a robe and having to nip back downstairs to ask what had happened (there were still people in the bar - it was quite embarrassing!) The owner wanted nothing to do with it, and I eventually established that there was a spare duvet somewhere, so his colleague brought one up (yes, there were no heaters, which fact they did not bother to come up earlier to tell us....)
Unfortunately, wearing clothes and sleeping under 2 duvets was very uncomfortable and was not keeping the cold away from our extremities! By 12.30am, the pub was closed up and we saw no other option but to drive back to London afterall. I left a note with my number on so they could call me and take payment for the meal.
They did not call.
I phoned on the Monday, was told in no uncertain terms that they had charged our credit card anyway. When I protested, the owner accused us of being (I quote) "precious", asked me if we could not deal with a little cold and that his was not a 5* hotel!! I have never experienced anything like it! The room cost over £80 so was not cheap.
I told him I would be posting a review on TripAdvisor at which point he threatened me! His intimidation, despite being very upsetting, has not deterred me.
As you might expect, I have taken this up with the Tourist Board, but in the meantime, will be deterring anyone else from giving this man their business.

• Stayed: September 2008, travelled with friends
10  Thank Vix14London
Reviewed 2 September 2007

This was our first visit to The Bull to stay overnight and we felt it offered good value for money.

The rooms are a decent size, pleasantly decorated and appear just as they do on the website. The bathroom was clean with a small shower and lots of hot water. There was a bit of wear and tear in evidence, but nothing that detracted from our stay. At £75 per night, it's good value. It can get a bit noisy with the pub below, but things were quiet shortly after 11pm.

We found the staff very friendly and the food served was delicious - great breakfast included in the room rate.

If you are looking for a pleasant, unspoilt village from which to explore the Cotswolds, Charlbury is a great spot. The Bull Inn gives a nice "country inn" experience without breaking the bank. Fab food and beer - we will be returning for Sunday Lunch very soon!

• Stayed: September 2007, travelled as a couple
1  Thank marysj
Reviewed 21 August 2007

Great rooms above a country pub. Rooms are small, but well appointed with comfy beds, warm blankets, bathrobes, DVD player and free DVDs. The food is very good. We had a good breakfast in the lovely pub downstairs as well as dinner. I would go back.

• Stayed: July 2007, travelled as a couple
    • Check-in / front desk
Also consider these accommodations in or near Charlbury
Bell Hotel
#1 of 1 in North Leigh
Feathers Hotel
Feathers Hotel
#2 of 6 in Woodstock

Been to The Bull Inn? Share your experiences!