“Small but perfectly formed”
Review of Bell Hotel

Bell Hotel
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Charlbury
Reviewed 21 October 2012

We stayed here for 2 nights as we had a wedding on the Saturday night. The Bell only has 4 rooms and we had paid for a Kingsize room and although we were a little disappointed at the lack of space getting in and out of the ensuite bathroom it was as promised "a home from home" feel, relaxed, comfortable and cosy.
The rooms are decorated in a fairly modern way although the ensuite could do with updating to match the actual room decor and the bar downstairs as we struggled to have a comfortable shower it was either too hot or too cold, but it serves its purpose for what we needed and is the only reason I rate it as very good and not excellent.

We paid just over £90 for the 2 nights.

The breakfast was very yummy and we ate the night before and found the food fantastic, the staff are a credit to the establishment, friendly and attentive.
A great place to stay if you are attending a wedding at Deer Hall Park just 3 mins away in a taxi.

• Stayed: October 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank kellylou81

Reviewed 17 October 2012

Have called into the The Bell many times. Always nice police service by barmaids. Nice and clean bar and lounge area and open on time!!! Have had a nice meal here to. Good standard of staff and service.

• Stayed: October 2012, travelled solo
1  Thank oleJersey
Reviewed 16 October 2012

A mixture of good and not so good. Nice location in a quiet village with a choice of 3 other pubs all within 2 minutes walk. Lovely room with a very comfortable big bed (we had room 11). Clean enough but not spotless, some surfaces obviously hadn't been wiped and there was a bit of mould in the shower - this might have been due to lack of ventilation with the en-suite window painted shut. Very friendly and helpful staff but no sign of an owner or manager and they seemed to lack a bit of organisation. Asked for a bacardi and coke but they had no bacardi, then a malibu but they didn't have that either. Good beer, fortunately! At breakfast there was a choice of 4 cereals but 3 had run out when we got there; after a wait they found some more bran flakes and sent out for a box of rice krispies but were unable to offer cornflakes. Cheap 'value' brand cereals were a disappointment, whereas the fruit juices and ingredients of the full English were good quality. We enjoyed our stay but some room for improvement.

Room Tip: Rooms in the separate annexe were more modern with slightly better facilities.
  • Stayed: October 2012, travelled with friends
1  Thank gwynee
Reviewed 6 October 2012

Varied menu, good quality food and decent choice of real ales. The place was busy when we visited (on a Sunday around 3pm) but service was decent, and we all really enjoyed the food. Good value too, would definitely come back.

Stayed: June 2012, travelled with family
1  Thank Howard_Wright
Reviewed 26 September 2012

On reading recent reviews I felt compelled to comment on my recent experience of The Bell. Myself and my partner stayed for a long weekend and we were made to feel welcome by the friendly staff and felt very much at home and relaxed in our comfortable and beautifully decorated bedroom.

We only ate dinner at the hotel once due to other activities during our stay but we pleasantly surprised. The quality of the food was fantastic and most of the main courses were around the £10 mark.

The main drawback was the location. Charlbury is a beautiful place, however it is very small. Although there are some great walks in the area, there is not much else. If you want entertainment you will have to visit elsewhere. This was not a problem for us, as we were happy to drive 10-15 mins to local towns with plenty to do.

There may be a few little tweaks needed here and there, but nobody's perfect! Overall I would highly recommend.

• Stayed: September 2012
2  Thank Markplay1951
Reviewed 19 September 2012

We stayed at The Bell on 7th September, and before putting a review on Trip Adviser, I emailed the person I'd booked through at the Bell. Ten days and still waiting for a response! It took me 7 tries to book the room, with promises that people would phone back and take messages. We had stayed at The Bell for our honeymoon 33 years ago, and it was far better then! It didn't in any way live up to the (fairly recent) Trip Advisor reviews, apart from very good food. We arrived at 6 on a Friday evening, and had to wait for the person serving at the bar to be free before he could show us to our room. The room, which apparently had had a royal visitor earlier in the year, had the handle missing from the bathroom door, which couldn't be shut. There were no chairs or seats in the room, so the only place to sit was the bed. Although the evening meal was excellent, the wines we chose weren't available, and we had to select from the list of wines that were already chilled. We asked for extra teabags before going to bed, and because they weren't immediately to hand, were told they'd be delivered to our room - they weren't. When I asked again in the morning, I had a limited choice of decaffeinated or herbal. We weren't offered any choice at breakfast - full English or components of it, and the coffee was instant. There were staff working, but nobody apart from our waitress came to ask if we were all right or had had a good stay. When I checked out, I was asked if we'd enjoyed our time there - I said that we hadn't, and prepared to elaborate, but the member of staff who'd asked just said that they were sorry! I have stayed in places for the same cost which were better value for money, offered better choice and service and cared about their customers more.

• Stayed: September 2012, travelled as a couple
3  Thank Pypers
Reviewed 18 September 2012

Website got us excited about staying in this little hotel ('fine dining'...tempting photos). We were disappointed....they did not meet their own promises...lack of attention to detail being the main problem. The rooms are very well decorated, but lacked the promised tea, coffee, water & biscuits...when you need something you have to wait at the pub bar along with the regulars ordering their pints, to ask for what you need for your room. We had no teacups, but did have 2 filthy dirty saucers. No shower gels or toiletries in what was otherwise a great bathroom. No alarm clock/radio in the room. No telephone in the room. No Wi-Fi in the room. Very limited TV channels available on a miniscule wall mounted TV. Had twin room, shared with sister...the duvet was so tiny on the single bed that I couldn't keep covered up during the night. Lots of dust, especially on the heated towel rail, felt the room needed a damn good clean. The promised 'lots of fluffy towels'...was 1 towel each.
The room was next to the family room, with an adjoining door that allows the two to be combined into a suite...and it really needs some sound proofing, there was indeed a family next door...an all-night crying baby and an early morning 'can we play now daddy' toddler..with parents who were clearly past caring about the noise....one of the worst nights sleep I can recall..hence we were up extremely early the next morning & anxious to get some hot coffee (not the Nescafe sachet in the room) & something to eat.
We were told that breakfast started at 8am (Saturday morning) & this info was repeated in the in-room literature. We were downstairs at 7.57am & found the pub in total darkness...had to switch on the lights ourselves. Found another couple waiting and more soon turned up. Ended up going into the kitchen & calling until someone showed up, looking rather put out...he said breakfast is at 8.30 on Saturdays...no apology for the misinformation we had all been given. He made a phone call & about 15mins later a flustered girl showed up & started asking people what they wanted to drink (tea / coffee) promising to get the drinks going & then to go round & take breakfast orders.....she then got sidetracked for ANOTHER 15 minutes arranging a check-out for another couple, while we all waited....hungry & annoyed. BUT I had my eyes on the shiny barista machine & the coffee cups printed with LAVAZZA....my fave coffee & I longed for a top cup of coffee, which would render all forgiven.... remember their website desribes the place as "FINE DINING"....can you imagine my horror when I watched the young lady tipping a couple of teaspoons of instant coffee granules into a coffee pot for me??? THAT WAS THE LAST STRAW & TOTALLY UNFORGIVEABLE. I cannot recall the last time I was served instant coffee anywhere...even McDonalds does better.

Room Tip: Avoid the twin room or the family room (unless you book the two as a suite). We were kept awake by t...
  • Stayed: August 2012, travelled with family
1  Thank LOUISE H
Also consider these accommodations in or near Charlbury
The Holt Hotel
Travelodge Burford Cotswolds
Cotswold Gateway Hotel
Cotswold Gateway Hotel
#5 of 8 in Burford

Been to Bell Hotel? Share your experiences!