“The hotel is for honeymoon...”
Review of Arcana Izu

Arcana Izu
Ranked #1 of 101 Hotels / Ryokan in Izu
Hong Kong, null, Hong Kong
“The hotel is for honeymoon...”
Reviewed 14 August 2013

1. Value:
Very expensive! I paid 90,000 yen for one night... I will not stay here anymore, because it is too expensive... Most importantly, I would like to check out at 145pm, but the staff said I was not allowed to do so. Okay, I paid 90,000 for one person stay and was not allowed to check out late. Very rigid...

2. Room: River Wing Suite
My own onsen!!!!! How incredible!!!!
Free wifi
Bose sound system
Modern decor

3. Bed/ Sleeping quality: Not too bad

4. Onsen / Bathroom: While having a bath, you can view natural scenery (rainfall, hills and trees) and listen to my own favourite music, not too bad.

5. Views: Natural scenery (e.g. rainfall, hills and trees)

6. Location: Very remote! I had to spend 3 hours from Tokyo to Izu and the transport fee really cost me a lot.

7. Staff: Quite good customer services

8. Restaurant: the meals were awesome

Room Tip: River wing suite >> the balcony was awesome
  • Stayed August 2013, travelled solo
4 Thank Benpang

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (5)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
Bangkok
Reviewed 25 April 2013

It was a pleasant 2 hour drive from Tokyo. Along the way, you get to view Mt.Fuji from the expressway. The moment you pull into the Arcana driveway, someone is there to welcome you. They took our luggages and valet our car for us. Immediately, they bring you to your rooms, and all the check in process will be made inside your room. We booked 2 river terrace rooms with the clear view of the gorge below us. It was an amazing retreat. Soaking in your own private rotenburo on the balcony of your room, you can enjoy the view of the white waters of the river and the greenery surrounding the hotel. Occasionally, you even see hawks swooping down from above. It was a majestic sight. When you check in, they would ask you when you will prefer your dinner. The inclusive dinner is French style. I have to say that it is extravagant, but it took away 3 hours of our precious time to enjoy the room and the private outdoor bath. By the 4th course, we were already full because of the intervals between each courses. We were so glad that we got our desserts because we can go rest within the comfort of our rooms. Breakfast the following morning is excellent, but I secretly wish for a more rustic and simple style breakfast. It was like reliving the dinner experience from the previous night. Warning: VERY EXPENSIVE!

• Stayed April 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank TeeBkk
London
Reviewed 31 March 2013

A piece of paradise only 2 hours from Tokyo. This is a 5 star hotel with 5 star prices but worth every bit of it - cannot fault it - beautiful setting - modern but super stylish, private onsen on the terrace outside the room, michelin star quality food, amazing and charming service. Treat yourself!

Room Tip: I had room 9 - outlook is just sublime but I think most rooms have similar views.
  • Stayed March 2013, travelled solo
Long Island City, New York
Reviewed 1 November 2012

Arcana is the perfect solution for travelers looking for a relaxing and luxurious retreat from the bustling metropolis that is Tokyo. In less then two hours from Tokyo station you can be in the riverside resort in the mountains. I was on my honeymoon in Japan and we built in the two nights at Arcana to be our respite from the constant site seeing we would be doing in Kyoto and Tokyo. Immediately upon arrival at Arcana we were struck by the architecture. It is a very new and modern facility. The rooms are very well designed and are kept immaculate. Large floor to ceiling windows facing a river and mountain-side offer incredible panoramic views while at the same time maintaining privacy. The service is also very attentive and friendly. The staff don't speak fluent English but they speak well enough and are accommodating enough that it didn't seem to be a problem. The two highlights of the property are the private onsen and the dining. Each room has its own private outdoor onsen bath that looks out over the rippling river below. For an American on a honeymoon this was an Onsen experience that we were much more comfortable with and is very appealing when compared to some of the larger communal baths found at other ryokan. The restaurant at Arcana is first rate French cuisine. The Japanese do French so well and Arcana is a good example. The meals, dinner and breakfast, are long, extravagant and simply delicious. The restaurant also has a giant glass window set behind the open kitchen that is lit up at night. It is a magnificent backdrop to the meal. The town and sites around Arcana are ok but there is much more exciting stuff to see in Japan. This place should be enjoyed for the natural beauty of the landscape and the great facility and dining. The one downside to Arcana is that it is very, very expensive. Although a stay at Arcana includes a fabulous dinner and substantial breakfast, it was still one of the more expensive resorts I have stayed at. With that said, it was well worth it for 1 or 2 nights and fit in very well for our 10 plus day trip to Japan. If you can afford it, I highly recommend.

• Stayed October 2012, travelled as a couple
2 Thank markefried
Mystic
Reviewed 17 October 2012

This is a place where you can relax so thoroughly that the very idea of stress makes you laugh. You can partake of a kaiseki meal that ranks right up there with the best. Stare out at tree tops over a racing small river. Dip into the onsen on your room balcony. Eat. Stroll about a bit in the village or hike up into the hills. Have a massage. Nap. Repeat. It's a good situation for tired, busy adults. Arcana plays out quietly, effectively, without undue fanfare. It actually knows how to do a slow fade into itself. The views are good and the rooms are pretty good. The onsen is constantly beckoning. But the dining is the real centerpiece here. French-Japanese fusion without a hiccup, taken in at a long counter of guests watching the proceedings, interacting with the chef and his assistants, or looking past them to the green outdoors. It's only after Arcana unwinds you that you realize you are in a very small and limited town, right next to less magical living. And that's charming too. Only be prepared: very, very expensive.

• Stayed October 2012, travelled as a couple
Bangkok, Thailand
Reviewed 19 January 2012

We stayed at Arcana for our New Year vacation for 3 nights. We booked 3 rooms. I and my friend had the River Terrace Suite and my sister had the best room in the place The Suite ( there is only one The Suite , you understand and since she's paying for the trip I let her have it. )
After a 6 hour flight form Bangkok and a 3 hour private van ride from Narita we were exhausted we we arrived but the staffs all made us feel so welcome we started relaxing the minute we stepped foot into the hotel.
And when we saw the room .OMG. It was AMAZING. My roon has this huge panoramic window and you could see/hear the stream running quietly just a few feet below .The opposite side of the stream was a heavenly ( but forbidden ( forest that looked lush even in winter .)
All rooms have private On-Sen which is great and even though the On-Sen is outside you feel complete privacy. All you can see are trees and amazing view of the stream . It's an amazing feeling to get naked in almost 0 C and bathe in an On-Sen. I didn't feel cold as the water was so warm and my skin didn't dry up because of the mineral in the water.
There is a french restaurant called Lumiere which serves food all day and the breakfast was amazing .I can't even describe it. The way all the elements were presented on the tray. Omelete , Brioche , ham, yogurt with honeycomb and even creme brulee . It was spectacular . Dinner was a full 10 course affair . Lunch was usually something simple like seafood pasta , hamburg steak , beef/pork curry served with salad and bread.
I'm usually a really fit guy but I scoffed it all down without a care in the world .The town itself is pretty dead. There are some minor tiny grocery store and a 7/11 which took 15-20 minutes to walk to so that was my daily exercise ! There is no TV in the room as you don't really need one but free wifi is provided throughout . mini bar is free and is restocked everyday .
The bed was large and comfortable. The service was impeccable .
All in all it was a perfect vacation.I know the room /food etc were really expensive but after all the stress we had to go through during the Great Flood of Thailand we wanted to splurged on a vacation and we absolutely picked the right place.
I will definitely come back.

Room Tip: If you have plenty of cash to spare go for The Suite . It has its own fireplace and it's like a...
  • Stayed December 2011, travelled with friends
3 Thank kade9
Hong Kong, China
Reviewed 24 December 2011

Been here for a day so far. Wonderful spa / Ryokan with Wedtern style rooms.

Our room had a private onsen out on the balcony. Views from the room are beautiful with wibdow opening to the forest and the Kano river below flowing with wonderful sounds of the water.

For Japan rooms are excellent in size and nicely appointed.

The restaurant Lumiere presents exquisitely prepared French cuisine with all tables looking out to breath taking big window out into the forest.

Hosts are attentive and very polite. They are making our honeymoon a wonderful experience.

Pricy for sure but wonderfully relaxing.

• Stayed December 2011