“Absolutely fantastic in every detail”
5 of 5 bubbles Review of Arai Ryokan

Arai Ryokan
Ranked #8 of 100 Hotels / Ryokan in Izu
Rutherford, New Jersey
“Absolutely fantastic in every detail”
Reviewed 1 August 2012

This was probably the most wonderful single overnight stay my wife and I have had in 30 years of traveling together. This place is everything it says it is and more. The pictures are beautiful and unbelievable, but they just don't do justice to the place.

How can a 2-dimensional photo get across what it's like to sit in an open, airy lobby in a beautiful, well-preserved antique of a building amid the sound of rushing streams. The streams rush through the building! There are covered wooden bridges (from which you can view the streams and the koi below) that connect various parts of the building.

The building itself and the grounds are exquisite (our room overlooked the rushing river), but that's not the whole story.

First, I should probably tell you that this is only my fourth onsen/ryokan, so I'm not a real aficionado. It's also the most expensive night of my five-week trip in Japan. I'm not normally a big spender, so I'm not an expert on luxury ryokans. I know you can spend more (our room, with dinner and breakfast for two, was ¥44,200, which didn't include alcohol).

Still, I can't imagine what would have made this experience better.

We arrived to find our name on the sign board --the only one not in kanji. Our personal maid, Hanada, stood waiting for us dressed in a beautiful kimono (we hadn't told them when we were coming so I'm not sure how she knew to be there). Before we could say a word, our luggage was out of the taxi and in our room. We were brought to the genkan, given slippers (ones that actually fit my size 12 feet!!), invited to sit on the lobby couch, handed hot towels, and immediately served powdered green tea and a sweet.

After this pleasant start, we registered, and Hanada took us to our room with our handbaggage --what a beautiful walk -- and showed us around the room. It was large, beautiful, and thoughtfully appointed. There's a little entryway with stocked refrigerator, a genkan, a large main room with low table and tatami chairs, fan & TV, and calligraphy alcove.
There's a separate dressing room and closets. And on the other side of the room there's a corridor-like room (often seen in Japanese houses) with windows overlooking the river. It also had a sink, a mirror, drying racks for towels, and two chairs and a small table (for when you get sick of sitting on tatami mats).

Hanada didn't speak English, so another employee who did came in and helped orient us to the ryokan, explaining all the baths, and our choices concerning meals, and answering anhy questions we had. They told us they serve breakfast at 8 or 8:30. We chose 8. But then when they realized we were leaving on a 9 am train, they offered to serve us at 7:30. Once we were settled in the room, Hanada invited us to sit down and then served us a different kind (not powdered) of green tea.

The baths were great--we each tried the same two of the four (one indoors and one outdoors). The setting of each was beautiful and tranquil.

Meals were incredible: multi-course affairs served with impeccable care, on beautiful dishes that were carefully picked out. I can't begin to explain all the different courses. I've had excellent ryokan food as well as a kaiseki dinner before, but I do think this was the best I've ever had in Japan.

And Hanada our made was so gracious and sweet and accommodating. I'd never had a ryokan maid like this, so I don't know if what she did was standard. But even though she knew no English (other than 'my name is') and we knew little Japanese, she patiently tried to explain things to us and help us, always smiling brightly and speaking and acting with great formality and politeness, bowing to us each time she closed the sliding door. In so many ways she and the other ryokan staff members were so thoroughly thoughtful, always anticipating our every need and desire.

I could really go on and on about the food, but I don't really know what everything was called, and I know there are some photos up, so you can get an idea of it. But really, there were two things that made this an outstanding, exquisite experience: the service and thoughtfulness of the staff (they literally thought of things we wanted before we did), and the sheer physical beauty and tranquility of both the building and the natural setting.

I can't imagine a better onsen/ryokan experience!

• Stayed July 2012, travelled as a couple
4 Thank brianhh13

Business
Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (3)
  • Thai first
toronto
Reviewed 6 April 2012

I was here one night with my husband, and we truly enjoyed our stay. The service is five star, there is an specific attendant who'd serve you throughout the stay. Both dinner and breakfast are excellent. The building is historical, which means the decor and the onsens are old. Internet are available in the lobby only, and it's slow. But that might be the exact reasons why you can relax. There are rooms right by the river, across the bamboo forest. You can soak your feet at the balcony, listening to the waves and counting stars. For the public, there are four onsens, one small outdoor, and two family onsens. All of them are free for the guests. During our stay in April, we never had to wait or share with other guests, which were nice. However, the area is in the middle of nowhere, and there isn't much to see, but it's not like you have a lot of time for sightseeing with the onsen soaking and elaborate meals. I wouldn't come back to this part of Izu. But would definitely recommend this ryokan should you decide to visit.

• Stayed April 2012
3 Thank coccet
London
Reviewed 22 October 2009

Stayed here on honeymoon and it was truly stunning. The building itself is amazing, intricate gardens, ponds, streams and lovely trees in a fantastic location next to the river and opposite the bamboo walk. Had a private onsen in the room and within the grounds had some amazing onsens, including a private small and large family one, traditional and outdoor onsen.

Service was excellent and the food was even better! Would loved to have stayed longer bu the price at cUSD 600 (inc breakfast and dinner) a night means that it couldn't happen.

Will save up and try and be back to celebrate a wedding anniversary sometime

• Stayed October 2009, travelled as a couple
5 Thank kinezos
Singapore, Singapore
Reviewed 13 December 2008

My sis and I put up in Arai Ryokan, which is in Shuzenji, Izu, on 6 Nov 2008. The ryokan's service is excellent where you will be greeted with your name on the "Welcome Board" and the staff at the entrance. We were first led to a room and briefed by an English-speaking staff who also provided us a plan of the ryokan.

Not only is Arai Ryokan a heritage structure, it is also rich in art and literery history. We were pleasantly surprise that one famous Japanese writer penned his great work during his stay in Arai Ryokan and right in our room!!!

We had a personal maid serving our dinner and breakfast in our room. The dinner was exquisite, all dishes were beautifully layout and a feast to the eye. Our breakfast was just as sumptous which last us for the entire day.

The ryokan itself is an attraction with beautiful garden, cafe, bridge and art pieces. Unfortunately, the guide was on leave else we could pay for a tour of Arai Ryokan, a living museum. Our room looks out to a garden with maple leaves within reach. I could imagine the sea of red leaves in late autumn.

Another highlight of the stay at Arai Ryokan is its Tenpyo spa, which is a heritage structure, soaking in the original old onsen is so liberating and like reliving history. There are an open-air spa, 2 family spas and a smaller but old spa.

While Shuzenji (the place is named after a temple with the same name) is a transquil place, Arai is the quiet sanctuary for reflective and peaceful moments away from the hustle and bustle of the world.

Overall I would say this is the best ryokan/hotel, I'd ever stayed. Although we paid about 24,000 yen per person per night, it's worth every cents.

• Liked — Everything
  • Disliked — Need to take a cab, else have to walk about 10 minutes from the bus-stop
  • Stayed November 2008, travelled with family