“Just okay...”

WesternBay Boqueron Beach Hotel
Ranked #4 of 4 Hotels in Boqueron
Reviewed 21 February 2012

My group stayed here for a couple of nights for a business trip. The room was quiet and clean, but nothing fancy. Just beds, a lamp, a dresser and a small TV. No wash cloths or face towels are provided - only large towels. Was a little alarmed that there was no deadbolt or chain on the door. I asked the lady at the front desk about this, and she stated that none of the rooms had security chains.

I didn't really mind the fact that I had to borrow a hair dryer and iron from the front desk. I also didn't really mind wearing that "mandatory" paper security bracelet. My problem was that I had NO HOT WATER either night. The woman at the front desk told me to let the water run for 10 minutes at a low volume, and then increase it to full volume. Didn't work! Besides, why should a paying customer even have to tinker with the plumbing in the hopes of getting hot water. It should just work. For $30 more dollars a night I could have been at a resort 20 minutes away.

I thought about checking out after the first night, but I was with a group and this hotel was very convenient to the site that we were visiting. Also, as someone mentioned, they charge your credit card in full at check-in. I had a strong feeling that I would be given the runaround if I asked for a refund.

My stay here was not bad, but not really good... it was just okay. Tolerable. Wouldn't stay here again unless nothing better was available. Live and learn.

• Stayed: February 2012, travelled on business

Reviewed 11 January 2012

We stayed here for a couple of nights. The beds are hard but the rooms are clean, shower worked well. Great location to walk to the beach and downtown Boqueron. We stayed here for the Three Kings Holiday and that's a wild party! It's located just as you come into town so your not right in the middle of town. That keeps the noise down. The staff was awesome! We were on the 4th floor which had a nice view. A small refrigerator is in the room.

• Stayed: January 2012, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 27 December 2011

They didn't have king size beds available but they didn't say anything found out when I fot to the room. The toilet was damaged so ee had to ask for another room. When we got to the other room the fridge didn't work and there wasn't any hor water. Bad experience after another.

• Stayed: December 2011
Reviewed 4 December 2011

Excellent location, walking distance to the beach and to the "poblado". Great pool area and the rooms were very nice!!!

• Stayed: November 2011
Reviewed 24 June 2011

I live in PR and had stayed here about 5 years ago but was hesitant after reading the horrible reviews but this was the only place available. We were pleasantly surprised. The staff was very friendly and willing to please. We got an upgrade to a room with a balcony. Okay, the hotel only has a view to the street rather than the open expanse of Bird Santuary but it's a quiet street and fun to see the daily goings on. The place was exceptionally clean, new mattresses, pillows, quiet, but that also depends on the weekend one goes since this area is a hopping place (Key West style) but the hotel is away from all the loud action and you can easily walk to it even at night. The beach is also in walking distance and some really good restaurants in a quiet area. Some things can be improved, shower soap dish rusted away and not replaced also can serve local bread for the continental breakfast instead of slice bread, but across the street you can get a great breakfast for $3.50 in a quaint old cafeteria. The street in front of the hotel great for early joggers as you try to identify the birds in the area. And no rugs in the room, just all tiled, love that. The pool okay for cooling down and stays open until 10pm so you can have a moonlight swim. My husband took his cameras and laptop and had no problems as he left them in the room at times. Will definitely return

Room Tip: Definitely the rooms with balconies are best
  • Stayed: June 2011, travelled as a couple
3  Thank laneni_4
Reviewed 16 July 2010

Not a nice place to stay at all! Rooms were not clean, there was a plastic knife between our sheets, sheets looked dirty (even the clean ones we got from the front desk). Unexpierenced staff gave us a room (no windows) with one bed even though she saw three persons standing in front of her desk. We paid 150 dollars, for 20 dollars more you can stay in for example the Hilton Caribe! So if you have the chance to drive further I would certainly do!

• Stayed: July 2010, travelled with family
1  Thank Coever
Reviewed 16 July 2010

We checked in and within 15 minutes checked out. The bathroon was FILTHY, the rooms were not what I expected, the pool is so close to the street that there is NO privacy at all. At the front desk they sell mosquito repellant bracelets, so use your imagination on that one.
I'd recommend it for Frat parties NOT for families.

• Stayed: July 2010, travelled with family
Also consider these accommodations in or near Boqueron
Combate Beach Resort
Cofresi Beach Hotel
#3 of 4 in Boqueron
Howard Johnson Inn Downtown Mayaguez PR
Rincon of the Seas Grand Caribbean Hotel

Been to WesternBay Boqueron Beach Hotel? Share your experiences!