“Over Priced- Not Family Friendly”

WesternBay Boqueron Beach Hotel
Ranked #5 of 5 Hotels in Boqueron
Yonkers, New York
“Over Priced- Not Family Friendly”
Reviewed 23 June 2014

No Internet Service in Room, Ice has to be picked up in Lobby small bucket. TV is old & have only 10 channels to view with only 5 or 6 channels viewable. Continental Breakfast is Coffee, Tea, Juice & Toast. I had 2 rooms with no views. After Hour LoungeDisco connected to Lobby playing music until 5am in the morning which kept us awake all night. On a positive note walking distance to Public Beach & Downtown with small shops & pubs, lots of security.

Room Tip: Would not recommend to a family, over-priced, bad accommodations & non family like environment.
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank Jim V

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (9)
Fort Lauderdale, Florida
Reviewed 12 June 2014

The telltale omen: Upon check-in, you receive a list of rules that include no food or beverages from outside in public areas, no drying clothes on the balcony (i.e. wet bathing suit), and no visitors in the rooms or pool area.

Americans who are grown-up enough to decide who can visit them in a hotel are in for a shocker here: You are not allowed to bring a guest to your room. Because I was visiting this sold out resort town on a peak weekend, I thought I might have friends meet up with me in the room for a drink before we hit the town. Denied! Each guest must wear a wristband 24/7 to access the room. I would have been permitted one additional wristband, for a guest I would have to specify in advance, for the four-day weekend. Having a different guests on different days would not be permitted.

WARNING: You are not advised of this policy with your reservation or confirmation, which may take a couple of weeks to arrive in your e-mail inbox because the hotel has email issues. You will already be on the hook for a one-night deposit at this point. This "hotel" is not cheap. Check-in time is 3:00, and whether on not rooms are available, you may not check in early.

With limited options, I checked into my interior room. It appeared clean, but was like the inside cabin on a cruise ship-- small and dark with one small window along the ceiling. Feeling the depression set in from my ill-advised choice of accommodations, I set out for the easy 5-minute walk to the heart of town.

I visited a nearby sold-out hotel if the no-guest rule was a typical local policy to which I wasn't accustomed. It is not, so I called the number on every guest house, hotel, and apartment rental sign I came across, and after a slew of "sold-out" disappointments, I secured a a two-bedroom apartment for 8 just for me, at a place with a friendly, upbeat staff that reflected the festive spirit of Boquerón. I checked out of Boquerón Beach Hotel as soon as I had the fortune to find the other room.

The fact that I left without staying my costly, paid first night is the best illustration of the poor attitude and value at this property. Although an expensive mistake, I knew I could only be happy when I was situated elsewhere. The town and its people are warm and wonderful, and I had an amazing weekend after putting this episode behind me. If this is the only option in town, stay in another town.

Room Tip: Interior rooms are dark and have one small window. You may not have a choice, and you will not be p...
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled solo
9 Thank mqdj

Travellers are raving about these Boqueron hotels

Nashville, Tennessee
Reviewed 5 March 2014

I just came back from a family emergency trip and this was the only hotel in the area that had availability. I arrived at night, and my requested king size bed room was unavailable, so they put me in double. That is ok. you have to wear a bracelet like if you had been admitted to ER. My room was dark, smelly, and there were spider webs, internet didn't work, not hot water in shower. The continental breakfast included coffee, sandwich white bread and bottled orange juice. Again, I was there for an emergency not for vacations, so my focus was somewhere else. BUT on Sunday night there was a party in the adjacent pub. Loud music until 330 am and then party continued in the street until 430am. Since the pub is part of the hotel there was no point in complaining. If I had known this, I would have slept in my car in the funeral home parking lot.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled solo
2 Thank Natalia P
San Juan, Puerto Rico
Reviewed 22 February 2014

Don't even consider this hotel. Rooms were dirty. We never had hot water. Room smelled awful. Food was just terrible. Pool area looked abandoned although the pool water was clean. Total rip off. I would rather go camping than paying a dollar for this hotel.

• Stayed February 2014, travelled with family
2 Thank edwin r
Reviewed 15 February 2014 via mobile

From the beginning bad experience, the entrance was blocked and the employees saw it and said nothing. 0 customer service... staff was very rude and no notable hotel management skills. No hot water in the room!!! The continental breakfast had only bread, cornflakes and orange juice.. nothing more not even coffee!!! The elevator s inspection were due, last one from 2011!!!! Very bad experience. ...

Stayed February 2014, travelled with family
Austin, Texas
Reviewed 9 October 2013

Short planed stay is OK. Have stayed here before and good for spending one night. Beaches are close by and are all different in many ways. Miss Rose, the front desk clerk was very professional and friendly. Made the stay feel comfortable. We had met her on a previous stay. Ask for her if you need assistance. Not a 4 or 3 star hotel but practical for a short stay

Room Tip: Bring bug spray.
  • Stayed September 2013, travelled with family
Reviewed 4 October 2013 via mobile

Upon the arrival all seemed okay but once we got to the rooms we saw an outdated tv with only 5 channels working. The hot water did not work and it turned out the front desk forgot to tell us you have to let it run for 8 minutes before the hot water cones out. All the restaurants recommended by the front desk were closed even the pizza place had to search in the internet for a pizza place since she didn't know. The continental breakfast was literally donughts muffin and bread. For the price of this rooms just stay elsewhere. The pool was in poor condition.

Stayed October 2013, travelled as a couple
Also consider these accommodations in or near Boqueron
Combate Beach Resort
Cofresi Beach Hotel
#4 of 5 in Boqueron
Holiday Inn Mayaquez & Tropical Casino
Parguera Plaza Hotel

Been to WesternBay Boqueron Beach Hotel? Share your experiences!