“Great location...great disappointment...shame!”
Review of The Beachouse

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Korolevu
The Beachouse
Reviewed 13 August 2014

We stayed at the beachhouse for 3 nights (1 night and then 2 nights) during our very recent stay in Fiji...and our experience of the place is not really a positive one. Which is a shame because it is a very great location and I was really excited about going here after reading all the reviews - the beach is amazing and the set up is quite nice but the staff made the big difference....

The staff:
- At the bar: We went at the bar during happy hour and got charged drinks with very weird pricing on the first night, anyway only $1 more expensive in the total than we thought so we won't complain. The next day the barmaid managed to forget to do our cocktails like 4 minutes after we ordered! the barmaid was wandering around the restaurant and we had to ask again...she had forgotten but didn't forget to charge our room...how much we will find out at checkout.

- At the restaurant: This was probably the nicest area, smiley, really nice, they charge your room, give you a receipt and all is good. They stored my food is their fridge, this was really nice

- At the reception: Probably the worst part...
> tours & activities advice...zero: on arrival we checked in (fijian time obviously) and then we came back and asked about diving the day after with sharks. We were expecting that they would help us with tours, activities like any other backpacker we've been to before...but not really, we had to grab a brochure in the restaurant to bring them the phone number of tours we were interested in, they would dial and pass you the phone and you do it yourself. No advice at all what so ever on what you could do, which one is the best company around etc. All the shark dive companies were booked out and they had nothing else to offer us. That was quite disappointing, given they work and live here they should know what's good around here...not really willing to share apparently...read the blackboard we were told.

> Billing...zero: That's probably one of the worst part, so everything you consume (drink, dinner etc.) gets charged to your room in a hotel fashion. Except that most of the time you are not given a receipt that you sign so not sure how much you are being charged etc and no verification if you are the room holder or anything. As a result I believe some dishonest people use this at their advantage. So when we checked out there was incorrect number of drinks charged to us and breakfast that we didn't even ordered...
On top of this we had booked with Wotif and we were asked to provide a wotif voucher as a proof that we paid as they were asking us to pay for the nights we had already paid, but they had my name in the system when we arrived so surely they had received my wotif booking...I had to write down on a piece of paper my booking reference number, how much we paid, dates etc.

> Checkout...Fijian Time: We get it...we stayed there for a week and we were quite patient, we had anticipated the checkout wouldn't be a 5min drop the key and go, so we had organised ourselves to get to the reception early to deal with the Fijian time and not miss our boat in the morning...still it took 20minutes to start doing the checkout and back and forth on the incorrect charges to our room...no smile, no "Bula" nothing like we've seen in other hotels. The reception of this hostels is just the worst we've seen in our trip. And this is what really put us off.

The place:
> Garden Room: we stayed the first night in a garden room, which is absolutely beautiful, is a charming little bungalow of good size, towel provided, individual so you are not touching any other bungalow, a nice garden bathroom. This was really lovely and we really enjoyed this.
The negative in the room was the mattress, it was very very very hard and makes the sleep really uncomfortable and you wake up with a sore back. But apart from this it was lovely. (we were unfortunate though to have a baby in the bungalow next to us...so woke up early)

> Hibiscus Room: we stayed the 2 last night in the Hibiscus room which is more expensive I believe because it has the aircon and a single bed on the side (which we didn't need), there was an offer on Wotif so we booked this more expensive one thinking it was the same as the Garden room but better...big mistake! So yes it is massive, it is very clean (although they hadn't cleaned the bathroom and had to request towels and bath mat to be changed), the bed is huge (mattress is as hard as the garden room) etc. but it is not an individual bungalow, it's upstairs of sort of a house and downstairs are the "travellers room" so it actually gets noisy with people going in and out of those rooms laughing etc. (there are 4 travellers room downstairs and 2 Hibiscus upstairs). The rooms description says it is "fully screened"...not! There are big holes as a result we had a rat crossing the room and I woke up with over 20 mosquitos bites on my arms and face (despite using repellent). This was really unpleasant and I start a new work soon my arms looking like nothing nice.

> The Bar & Restaurant: This is quite a nice set up, from the outside table you have view of the beach, there is a nice grass area with hammocks etc. really peaceful and enjoyable around the pool.

> The guest Kitchen:...stay away, the guest kitchen (if you find it...we had to ask) is behind the car park, there was only one light working so I cooked half in the dark, it's not really clean and the fridge doesn't get cleaned regularly, as a result rotten food and horrible odours stay in there. You can only eat at the table in front of that kitchen, next to the cars and with barely not light, it's not a nice set up to enjoy your dinner...indeed they ask you to not bring your food in front of the house (at the front tables or next to the beach), the plates are coloured so they can easily identify you. You are clearly encouraged to not use this kitchen, which makes you wonder why they have one and why they advertise they are one of the only place that offer this option. (another place not too far has bungalow with individual kitchen for cheaper might be a better option if you want to cook your own).

> The food: they have a restaurant like any other places in fiji it's quite average and hit and miss. We had the BBQ which was really average and completely overpriced and then we had grilled veggies which was lovely and cheap.

> The setup: This is really lovely though, the bar/restaurant, the pool are all facing the beach. we were there on rainy days and still I believe the beach in front is beautiful. You have hammock everywhere on the side of the beach so you can stay there relax and watch the sea. From there you can go snorkelling or just swimming.

> Afternoon tea: That is awesome! Everyday at 3.30pm they offer free hot scones with tea and they are very yummy, be there on time because it's all gone in 5min so good.

Overall: I wish we were there on sunny days to enjoy better the set up. The place is very nice but the service and staff was very very poor and that completely put us off. It is a real shame as it has great potential but when you are in a resort like this (backpacker style) isolated from big cities you would expect they could guide you more on what to do around and not let you find your own way constantly asking.
I hope they put themselves together to improve this. They know it's popular but it's not a reason for being rude and not helpful with their customers, it's a "budget" (expensive) resort that still requires service.
Saying this, there was very nice staff around the resort and we cannot deny this.

I don't believe we would come back except for the beach and front setup as this was lovely but we were kind of put off with the whole service and reception thing. (which are the main people you deal with during your stay...so quite important)!

Room Tip: Go for the Garden Room they are lovely little bungalows fully screened (didn't get bitten on tha...
  • Stayed: August 2014, travelled as a couple
3  Thank benenuts

Reviewed 8 August 2014 via mobile

I am currently writing this review from the Bamboo hostel in Nadi and I want to go back to the beachouse ! The location is so beautiful and everyone is so friendly. Day trips are very cheap 55fj$ to go shark snorkelling, fishing and a village trip lunch included. The food at the beachouse on the other hand is not very nice and the kitchen didn't seem clean enough to cook in. The free breakfast and afternoon tea with scones were great. Wifi is slow and so is service but you have to remember you're on Fijian time, relax and take it easy :)

• Stayed: August 2014
Reviewed 31 July 2014

The Beachouse is a known backpackers lodge, and as such I knew there were certain things that I couldn't expect, however, I never thought that I shouldn't expect BASICS found in all other backpacker resorts in Fiji. For starters I wasn't able to bring a towel, so I had to ask for one. I was assured I would get one, but after asking several times for five hours I was told to wait. At about 6 pm our surf lesson was over (btw, one of the instructors was not very professional AT ALL, let me just say he misinterpreted my kindness with wanting something else and went as far as slapping my behind and complimenting me on it), and still no towel. When I asked again I was told there were no more towels left. Finally they gave me a towel: a stinky BO towel that i had to use if I didn't want to freeze. The next day I asked for a clean one (no "sorry" for the dirty one) and was asked to give a 20 dollar deposit out of which I would only get 15 back.

Food service was slooooow, having to get up several times and inquire, in many cases people would have to go get their food from the kitchen as the organization was so poor. Many pizzas were also raw after waiting for an hour.

We slept in the dorm, which was full of empty dirty sheet beds as they do not change sheets unless someone is going to sleep there and just leave the last guest's dirty sheets. If you ask for more blankets (it gets cold at night) you will be denied them.

The communal bathrooms were below cleanliness standards and there were puddles of water all over.

Finally, I had a problem with my credit card (the magnetic band got ruined) so I was told to go to an ATM 5 km down the road (a 20 dollar taxi return). I asked for the chip mechanism: NO. I asked for the old mechanism in which they copy the card number: NO. Asked to use paypal, but was not allowed to use their computer. The lady at the front desk just WOULD NOT help me out with my problem AT ALL. Finally my friend was able to pay for me.

All in all I had a good time because the rest of the guests there were really cool and nice people. Also, very much enjoyed the weaving class with Master Mali and the jungle trek. The beach is also nice, although it was often at low tide and couldn't fully enjoy it.

I really do not feel like ever going back.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled with friends
5  Thank amrada87
Reviewed 12 July 2014

This was a great place to make our base for our weeks stay in Fiji. Lots of things to do for the students in their kick back time. Everyone was friendly and accomodating.We did find the evening meals limited to selection and over prized as you had to travel to eat else where.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled with friends
1  Thank Lesley P
Reviewed 12 July 2014

The Beachouse Resort at Korolevu was the find of the century. It caters primarily for the younger set (backpackers) most of whom are very friendly and once again warmly welcomes day guests. So being a family here definitely puts you in the minority, but don't let that put you off.

You can enjoy a 1hr massage here for as little as $35FJD with the delightful Suzanna or just chill in one of the many beachside hammocks on offer until you hear the sound of the drums signalling the daily ritual of complimentary scones & tea served at 3:30pm to all present (including day guests).

Beachouse also offer great food at super cheap prices. You can enjoy a hearty breakfast of bacon & eggs for as little as $9.95FJD and hearty lunches for about $10FJD. They also have their daily Happy hour where Fiji Bitter/Gold will call your name at $5.95FJD a bottle.

The Beachouse is easily my pick for the best on the Coral Coast in terms of quality & price. They also offer free unlocked WiFi to everyone, not just house guests.

Beware of falling coconuts:

Rumour has it that more people die in Fiji from falling coconuts than anything else, but I’ll let you be the judge of that. So, be selective in which hammock you choose, because however unlikely, you DO NOT want to be on the receiving end of one.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled with family
2  Thank Groeneveld
Reviewed 6 July 2014 via mobile

If you want to pay top dollar for backpacker accommodation this is the place to go! Sharing the room with a rat was one of the attractions as well as a swarm of wasps in the outdoor bathroom. The hard bed with stained sheets that I was to scared to actually think to much about..... Was there 5 nights (4 to many) tried to organize an island trip which never happened! Was bored the whole time and ended up with hammock rash as there was nothing much to do if you weren't a regular there and apart of the " in crowd". I did find a few of the staff to be lovely but that doesn't really out way the rat I'm sorry. Iv travel a lot and I'm not a 5star traveller but I'm sad to say that this experience is enough to say that I will never return to Fiji.

Stayed: May 2014
1  Thank Kristy A
Reviewed 21 June 2014

We stayed two nights at the beachouse, the owner did offer for us to leave and have a refund but we had trouble with the booking company wotif and beachouse communicating with each other to confirm that we would be refunded. Not wanting to move on and not get money back, it took until 10pm to get it sorted and by then it was far too late. The owner was out but none of his staff had the authority to make the decision. They are trying to advertise it as more of a family destination but in reality it's just a backpackers filled with young 20 something's getting trashed every night. The rooms were clean enough although there were rats in the garden room and the beds are like concrete- you will need one of those $20 massages! The grounds were beautiful it's a shame there isn't a spot outside each room so you can enjoy it in peace. White sandy beach leaves a lot to the imagination. All in all much better value at anywhere else but here. The staff and service were far from the amazing Fijian service we have been experiencing elsewhere. Each time we approached reception from the first moment we arrived we were made to feel like we weren't welcome and everything was a problem. About the only good thing about this place is the free wifi and even then it didn't really work cause that's all the hungover backpackers did all day

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled with friends
4  Thank Jude H
Also consider these accommodations in or near Korolevu
Mango Bay Resort Fiji
Naviti Resort
Naviti Resort
#2 of 4 in Korolevu
Fiji Hideaway Resort & Spa

Been to The Beachouse? Share your experiences!