“Fantastic in every way” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Grizzly Bear Ranch

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Kaslo
Grizzly Bear Ranch
GreenLeadersPlatinum level
Exeter, United Kingdom
“Fantastic in every way”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 September 2012

We spent 3 nights (9-12 September) and will never forget it.
Unbelievable river and scenery, great people with perfect attitudes.
Accommodation and food also excellent.
I thought that the rafting would be a wet and cold experience but thanks to the equipment provided it was neither - just spectacular - I recommend it to anyone.
Saw 3 grizzly bears, 1 beaver and dozens of bald eagles.
Leaving GBR is sad, especially if you share it with great guests as we did, and it leaves you wanting to return.

Room Tip: The cabins all seem excellent, we had the Eco Cabin which was great.
  • Stayed September 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank mickw952

Business
Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (44)
London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 July 2012

No apologies for repeating earlier reviews but this really was just a wonderful experience. My wife had wanted to see 'the bears' during our trip to Canada and after some research I came across the GBR. Well it sounded Ok on the website but would it meet my high expectations? Well it didn't, it exceeded them. The cabin was fabulous with a view of the river and mountains beyond. Kristin's cooking was healthy, tasty but make sure she serves up her 'spare rib recipe' - it's delicious! Lilly, our guide was fabulous and a very unique lady who loves the countryside and wants to share it with you. Julius was only there for a short time during our stay but reallly is quite a character and we had some great discussions over dinner. What they all have in common is a love of the natural environment they live in and the animals who they share it with and during your stay, they want you to be a part of that.

I would suggest if you have a diet that requires a full English breakfast every day and you want to see lots and lots of bears then stay in the UK and visit a local zoo. If you want a wonderful experience, comprising great accommodation, considerate hosts, excellent food (but don't forget those spare ribs) and seeing all the animals, including bears in their own natural environment with qualified guides, then go to the GBR as you will never forget the wonderful experience they offer.

Room Tip: We loved the Eco cabin, with a porch looking directly over the river - perfect
  • Stayed June 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank bruce3086
Brisbane
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 June 2012

I have just read the last few reviews and I feel very emotional as it has bought back such wonderful memories. This is the most special experience we have ever had on a holiday. I totally agree with all the previous comments.

Julius, Kristin and Lily looked after us superbly. They made us feel like we were very special. They are very skilled and competent and we always felt completely safe and well looked after. Our safety was paramount however they still provided us with the best opportunity possible to get as close to the bears and other animals that live in this wonderful part of the world.

What makes this holiday so special is the people. Julius, Kristin and Lily are amazing interesting people who very generously let their guests into their lives and are happy to share the most amazing and interesting stories.

Meal times were wonderful. Kristin's cooking is amazing and the atmosphere while all the guests sat around and got to know each other and Julius and Kristin was great fun.

We really appreciated that we had to look hard to see the bears and other animals as they were in their natural environment and we were coming into their world.

I had anticipated that our stay at the Grizzly Bear ranch would be good and it exceeded my expectations. We have just returned from a month in Canada and Alaska and our stay here was the highlight.

It is well worth the effort to make the journey to this wonderful place.

2 Thank ParkwayTravellers
Sunbury-On-Thames, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 June 2012

My wife Sarah came across GBR's website late last year and we immediately knew it was the place we were looking for. We were not disappointed.

We've just spent a superb four nights at GBR. Julius and Kristin are great hosts and we were in food heaven with Kristin's cooking. There were plenty of lovingly prepared and tasty dishes.

We stayed in the Eco cabin which is perfect for couples. Considering we were out in the wilds, the shower was hot and powerful, and we were glad of the wood burning stove (Kristin had to teach us soft city types how to make a fire).

Spring-time bear spotting can be a bit hit and miss but this made each of our black bear sightings all the more thrilling. The grizzlies were either still high up in the mountains or knew the Brits were coming and stayed out of the way. We definitely want to return later one season when the bears are heading down to the rivers and lakes to fish and fatten up for the winter.

Another high point was the boat trip where we had the lake almost to ourselves, spotted a few eagles, and our guide Lily found us the most idyllic beach for our lunch stop.

If you are looking for unlimited bear sightings, or you are someone who is particularly fussy about what they eat, then GBR is not the place for you. However, if you want to go in search of bears in a beautiful isolated locations, are prepared to eat what is put in front of you (although special dietary needs are met with no fuss), enjoy good company and have an open mind, GBR is definitely the place to visit.

Thanks Julius, Kristin and Lily!

• Stayed June 2012, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Ian L
Oreland, Pennsylvania
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 June 2012

I originally stumbled across the website for Grizzly Bear Ranch last year when looking for bear viewing places on the coast, and it looked like exactly the kind of small and personal, non-commercial place we would like. Then when I then checked TripAdvisor, the unanimous 5-star rating from reviewers convinced me to change direction inland and make reservations immediately for spring bear-viewing. My husband and I have just returned from our trip there and if I could, I would give the Ranch a 6-star rating because they exceeded all my lofty expectations based on previous reviews.

It takes a bit of an effort to get to the ranch location, but the drive and scenery are beautiful from any direction and each mile passed brings you closer to nature and a true, authentic get-away. The land is gorgeous, the cabins are clean and nicely furnished, and the bed was very comfortable. The river that runs along the property lulls you to sleep each night. The food was exceptionally delicious and each meal was better than the last. All these things combined together create a basis for a perfect review based on tangibles. But it’s the intangibles that make the place so special, and I can't adequately describe the sense of wonder of being in a place like this.

The lovely owners treat you like honored guests and make you feel very comfortable. The other guests in our group were wonderful, easy-going people and we had so much fun spending time with them and becoming friends. The owners and the guide were knowledgeable, capable, and dedicated, and we learned a great deal about bears and also the entire surrounding environment while on gentle hikes, car and boat tours. All wildlife viewing is done with complete respect for the animals. We saw bears, elk, eagles, and other wildlife, but truthfully I would not even have been that disappointed if we had not, because it felt like a privilege to be part of the entire experience. There is definitely a reason why 47 people before me gave the Ranch the highest rating, and I wholeheartedly agree.

Room Tip: We stayed in the eco-cabin which was right on the river and had a very nice view from the porch. I...
liverpool
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 June 2012

We were at GBR the same time as Sarah M who wrote the previous review. There's not much more I can add but wanted to say that Kristin and Julius were the best hosts you could hope for. We were made to feel so welcome and after one day felt like we had known them for ages, I cried the day we left as I knew how much I was going to miss everything about this place. It is very special and not just because we got to see bears close up in their natural habitat, everything about this place is special - the hosts; their dogs; the cabins; the setting; the bears (especially the bears!); Kristin's cooking and not forgetting Lily the bear guide. I get emotional every time I think about our time there and hope so much I get to go back.

Room Tip: All the cabins are lovely so you can't really go wrong. The new cabin is set back from the rive...
Milton Keynes, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 May 2012

What can we say about Grizzly Bear Ranch that has not been said so eloquently in previous reviews.
To sit on the rear balcony of the Volga cabin, overlooking the churning waters of the snow melt as it tumbled downstream, felt like we had arrived in a place as close to perfect as we could ever hope to find in this world.
To pick up the details of the cabin, to become totally enthralled by the story of how Kristin and Julius’ lives brought them to be living at Grizzly Bear Ranch in the Selkirk Mountains, a story so absorbing I read it from cover to cover before our first evening meal.
And the food, well Kristin’s cooking skills excel, so tasty, created and eaten with Kristin, Julius, the guides and guests in the beautiful, cosy cabin that is Julius and Kristin’s.
To go to Grizzly Bear Ranch is not just to get a holiday snapshot of bears, but to truly learn about bears. Julius and his guide Lily are so knowledgeable about these magnificent animals and they make sure that by the time you leave, you have lots of bear knowledge and hopefully a few shots of bear sightings as a reminder of a precious encounter.
Days out bear viewing with Julius and Lily were adventurous, sometimes heartbeat raising, travelling around the wilder parts of the mountains in comfortable vehicles on our searches and to be able to ask Julius of his life as a war correspondent and some of his other ‘moments’ in life....like learning to fly!!
It would be so sad if you could not set aside 4 days of your life to meet Kristin, Julius, the guides and absorb yourself in the peace of living in the ranch at a speed that enforces relaxation from the stresses of modern life

If there was money in our account we would go back in a heartbeat....

Room Tip: All the cabins are unique and you will love any of them
1 Thank Sarah M
Also consider these accommodations in or near Kaslo
Kaslo Hotel
#3 of 3 in Ainsworth Hot Springs
Ainsworth Motel
Ainsworth Motel
#1 of 3 in Ainsworth Hot Springs

Been to Grizzly Bear Ranch? Share your experiences!