“Staff bent over backwards for us”

Grand Palladium Lady Hamilton Resort & Spa
Ranked #1 of 3 Hotels in Lucea
Toronto, Canada
“Staff bent over backwards for us”
Reviewed 10 February 2012

I just returned from a stay at the Grand Palladium Lady Hamilton, I went with my husband, parents and siblings and a couple of their friends, so in total there was a group of 9 of us. My parents have stayed at this resort in the past, and I can tell you that based on my experience they truly have a great appreciation for loyal guests. I stayed in one of the junior suites as did my brothers and their friends, and my parents and their friends each stayed in a beach front bungalow. Upon arrival we were greeted with a glass of rum punch, and the rooms we had requested were ready for us, we arrived at 11am and they were ready despite the fact the check in time was 3pm, as soon as we got to our rooms we discovered complimentary champagne, a platter of fresh fruits and a plate of hand made chocolates and pastries, not to mention that the junior suite was beautiful (despite the fact that they call it a suite it is their most basic room, but I wouldn't call it basic at all) the staff was all very friendly to us during our stay, I noticed that some people were complaining about waiting for food and drinks, but my mom always says 'they are on island time', I get the impression that Jamaica is not a destination you want to visit if you expect people to move quickly, lol. I just didn't think any of the waits were a very big deal, I don't know about other people but when I am on vacation I don't really feel the need to rush and I will say some of the servers were so quick and amazing, I have to mention one server that we had at the Poseidon restaurant for dinner in particular (I unfortunately just can't remember her name), she was so friendly and attentive, after checking we were enjoying our beverages, she said she would keep them coming if we liked, of course we all said yes, and she made sure we were each brought our next drink when we had just a couple sips left of the last one, and I dont mean she would bring the whole table a round of drinks at once, she was paying close attention to what we each needed and would bring each drink individually, this was very much appreciated on a hot, humid night when ice melts very quickly. So many of the bartenders were so friendly, and I couldn't believe how many of them remembered my name so quickly, we really enjoyed Alexander, JJ, Lincot and Mercilyn at the pool bar, and Aldane and Shaun from one of the other bars. We enjoyed the food at all of the restaurants, we ate at the Italian twice, the first night was better than the second but both nights were good, the Indian restaurant was amazing, despite the server having to run around so much the service was very good, as someone who works in the service industry I pay very close attention as to what is going on, and I dont think a lot of people realize that the servers in the Indian restaurant have to go out of the restaurant, to the little bar that is behind the Italian restaurant to drop off their orders and go back to pick up their drinks, and if the Indian and Italian restaurants are both open on the same night, and people are waiting for tables at this bar it gets extremely busy and I think they do a great job of managing their time well, we also ate at the Mexican restaurant, which I would say was closer to real mexican, it wasn't just texmex, and the Creole restaurant was very nice as well. I will say that at all of the restaurants the servers checked many times that we were enjoying each course, so there was ample opportunity to inform them of any problems. I also believe that these restaurants are designed expecting people to order multiple courses, not just entrees, we all usually ate an appetizer and soup, and our appetizer would be on the table as soon as we were finished with whatever we had grabbed from the salad bar. While we were on our stay we did experience an incident that was not the hotels fault, but I couldn't believe how well they handled the situation, on our third day of our vacation there was a brief but intense tropical downpour, it was raining incredibly hard, a lot of leaves and small bits were knocked off trees, because of this the drainage system in our villa backed up and our room and my brothers room that was next to us ended up having water pouring from the ceiling, this happened in all seven rooms that were in this row, when it began to happen we were all at one of the bars, when we got back to the room the maids were trying to clean it up as best they could and the maintenance guy was looking at the pipes, we went up to the front desk to inform them of this and they immediately relocated us to a new room, which ended up being an upgrade to one of the beachfront bungalows (these are their best rooms) and they washed all of our clothes that got wet and returned them within a couple hours, the next day we recieved a letter from the manager apologizing and saying that we would recieve a refund for one night, 2 free lobster dinners and 2 free 50 minute swedish massages, the front desk called us to follow up on this, my husband and I were very grateful and booked our lobster dinner and our massages, they followed up with my brothers and my brothers told them they really appreciated the gesture but were not big fans of lobster, so the front desk told them they would be happy to do something else for them and ended up sending each of them a large bottle of Appletons rum, they were very pleased with that. I would like to thank Channa Lee for all of her help with that! and would thank all of the guest services staff for making sure our vacation was amazing. As far as resort activities go, Andre and Dwayne (Sinker) at total water sports were so friendly and patient and knowledgable for anyone who is interested in Scuba Diving (especially first time divers).

One last thing I will say, and I thought about this based on some discussions I had with people at the resort, as Westerners most of us expect people who are visiting our country to understand our customs and not neccessarily follow them, but not infringe upon us following them, but I don't know if many of us extend that courtesy to others when we are visiting their country, I think that a lot of people who made certain complaints about people on this website should think about that.

Room Tip: Jamaica side has more kids, lady Hamilton side more adults
  • Stayed February 2012, travelled with family
11 Thank ShanonLeith

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,376)
  • Polish first
Woodstock, Ontario, Canada
Reviewed 10 February 2012

This was our first trip...and...first trip to Jamaica.We were part of a group of 13 that went down for a wedding Fed1st-Feb 8th 2012. We fell in love and are already planning on going back, however we will not return to GPLH. We stayed in Villa 29 and it was beautiful and quiet as it was near the adult pool and small beach. When we arrived, we had to wait 2hrs in lobby to get our rooms. When we got the rooms we had no towels or wash clothes to shower and no mini bar items. We left tips and notes asking for certain items for first few day to no avail, We had to hunt down our own towels and sugar for our coffee maker. When our reg maid worked we had fabulous service Donna was attentive and very honest! Sadly she did not have control ovver the min bar, that was someone else. We had to get bottles of water and pop from our friends and the store as the mini bar service was horrible, untill we complained 2 days b4 we left, as excursions kept us so busy, we were unable to get customer service in on hours. The wedding was another story of complete disgust! It was a same sex commitment ceremony (not legal in anyway). The "brides" made the resort aware of this and were told "NO PROBLEM". upon arrival the "brides were informed that the wedding would b an additional $1600.00. to have it there. We had clergy as part of the group and didn't need any of the hotel services as it was only a commitment ceremony. Well....the day of wedding, the hotel posted staff at the honeymoon suite of the "Brides" with orders to the "lesbians" from marrying! instead of doing a 5min commitment service on the beach-front of their unit on the beach ,very ,very privately (no one else other than staff was around) we were surrounded by security and forced to do the ceremony on the balcony of their suite. we did this and made the best out of a "crappy" situation. After the ceremony we attempted to walk around and take pictures. We were followed everywhere by staff and security!!!!! water sprinklers kept suprisingly turning on as we tried to take pictures, and finally the officiant paid one of the staff members to plz turn sprinklers off long enuf to take pictures,and suprise they did! After the wedding there was a definite coop against our group, my husband and I felt it, so i can imagine how much more intense this would have been for the other non-hetro members of the group! the hotel attempted to try and make some good to us bcuz of the B.S. cookie tray (4 cookies from the buffet) t-shirts and champagne or at least we were told. We had stuff delivered to our room, only to have the stuff stolen along with many items of ours. This happened late the last night there and I was only able to report this on our way out of resort. I spoke with several memebers of customer service our last 3days there trying to get some satisfaction and got none. We even offered LHGP a chance to reedem themselves if we tried them again, and they were not willing to give us any kind of a discount or any means of compensation. There were so many other issues, to numerous to write about. I just highlighted, some of the major issues, So for those planning on LH think again. All restaurants are not open like stated in their ad. We were forced to eat mostly buffet food bcuzz of excursions and timing, lets say that our meals on the plane were better! Cept for BABAS Steak house fantastic food, but u can never get in. we tried four times made it once. Sanja and William Brydges

Room Tip: tip if u want good drinks and fast servic. we wud stand forever waiting for a drink, but if bartende...
  • Stayed February 2012, travelled with friends
1 Thank Sanja B
hereford
Reviewed 10 February 2012

After reading some negative reports prior to our holiday we left for Jamaica with an open mind, we needn’t of wor ried. We had the most amazing time & would definitely return. We stayed here 17-31st January, it was our first visit to Jamaica & we would thoroughly recommend it. On arriving at Montego Bay airport, everything was very well organised, the airport is larger than your usual Caribbean & there is quite a long walk to customs, but on the plus side there are plenty of shops for you to pick up souvenirs when departing at the end of your holiday.
Transfer to Grand Palladium is approx’ 45 minutes , on arrival at the hotel check in was very organised & we were on our way to our room in less than 10 minutes. We had mentioned when booking our holiday that it was our wedding anniversary during our stay & thus at check in were upgraded to red wristbands, which gave us special privileges such as, being able to pre-book any of the restaurants, so definitely a good idea to mention when booking.
We were situated in block 40, the furthest away from the main amenities, but still only a 5 minute walk along the covered walkways. We didn’t get a seaview from our room, but who really needs that, you are only in your room to sleep & shower. On arrival at our room, we were amazed at it’s size and it had the most amazing double Jacuzzi bath, we had also been left a plate of cakes and a happy anniversary message from management.
The hotel is the largest we have ever stayed in and we were a little worried that this would maybe be disappointing, how wrong we were, the hotel is beautifully laid out & it doesn’t give you that feeling of being large, just very grand. The gardens are immaculate, as are all the buildings. Everywhere is constantly being cleaned & freshened up with a new coat of paint, we watched the pools being cleaned every day.
There are 3 beaches & 3 pools to choose from, so you can venture somewhere different every day, don’t forget to relax at the spa, where the pool & Jacuzzi & steam rooms are all 8included in your holiday cost, a wonderful bonus.
We had our breakfast every day in the Blue lagoon buffet overlooking the infinity pool, where there was always an excellent selection of food to choose from. For lunch we mostly ate at the Poseidon restaurant near the beach , although the jerk chicken hut is also here & is a very popular.We only ate at the main buffet twice during our stay, as we sampled all the restaurants, some more than once, they were all excellent, had varied menus with plenty to choose from & amazing salad bars, with fresh salmon every day. Our only complaint during our whole holiday was the service in Bubba’s steak house, we ate there twice, it is obviously the busiest restaurant & seems to have more staff than any of the others, but from the bar service through to the waiters & management team it is totally disorganised, don’t get me wrong the food is excellent, the T bone steak was the best we’ve ever had. We did complain on our second visit, so can only hope that this is rectified, as it reflects badly on the rest of the complex.
The staff at this hotel are probably the friendliest we have found on any Caribbean island, they were always cheerful & happy and willing to chat to you, we couldn’t single any one member because they were all wonderful & all worked very hard to ensure that you had a good holiday. We didn’t find the need to tip to get a better service, this just wasn’t necessary.
We did take 2 trips during our stay, an all day to Dunns river falls, this didn’t include lunch, so took some rolls & fruit from the breakfast bar, definitely a good decision as other people on the trip had to pay $15 for a mediocre lunch. I f you are thinking of doing this trip, take beach shoes with you from home, otherwise you will end up buying them there for a ridiculous price. We also did the Jeep safari trip, we was good fun, driving through an orange grove & picking & eating oranges was amazing.
Hope this gives a good overview of our time in Jamaica, feel free to message me with any questions.

Room Tip: If you want peace & quiet, ask for block 39 or 40
9 Thank helenyazor
New York, NY
Reviewed 9 February 2012

My boyfriend and I, along with two friends,stayed at the Lady Hamilton Grand Palladium at the end of January for five nights. We checked in late in the afternoon on a Friday, were greeted with a cold towel and glass of rum punch and were checked in within ten minutes, no problem. We were taken, along with our bags, via cart, to our suites in Villas 35 and 36.

THE ROOMS

Both couples were booked into suites which have a separate living area and a bedroom with a king sized bed. The rooms were very large, relatively clean, and well appointed - fine furniture, two flat screens with a good assortment of channels, large closets with plenty of storage space and hangers and a safe. Not the most comfortable beds but adequate. The bathroom included a stand up shower and a jetted tub. We never used the jetted tub for a couple of reasons, the biggest of which was it looked old and dirty. I'm sure it had been cleaned but no one had taken the time to really scrub the tub floor so it looked less than appealing. There were many paint scratches on the walls, the waste basket in the bathroom was rusty and old, the shower door didn't seal well when closed so if you weren't careful water would get everywhere during a shower. These issues didn't distract from our trip but, with a little care and maintenance (and not the kind you can call the front desk or housekeeping about), they could be fixed.

Also, beware - suites are advertised to have sea or pool pools. We were on the ground floor of Villa 36 and had neither. Very disappointing, especially when we had paid for a suite upgrade.

THE GROUNDS

Beautiful and well maintained. There was always some sort of landscaping and maintenance going on. Very clean also.

THE FOOD

We ate at the buffets a lot which were always had a good selection of food...always tasty. With the exception of the Indian restaurant we actually preferred the food at the buffets to the a la carte restaurants. I'll speak to this in detail separately but the real reason we didn't like the a la carte restaurants, again with the exception of the Indian restaurant, was the service. It was appallingly slow to get anything - water, drinks, appetizers, entrees - we never had dessert because by the time we were done with our meals it was so late. This wasn't a matter of needing to wait for exceptional food preparation either - the food was bland, usually luke warm and not extraordinarily presented. As well, at one point there were more staff members in the Mexican restaurant than diners and we still waited almost an hour and a half for our entrees. The buffets are a much better bet.

We did however have an amazing final meal in the Indian restaurant, our favorite of the whole trip. Marvin, our waiter, was great - so attentive, speedy and friendly to boot. The food was phenomenal, well presented and, thankfully, we even got to try dessert. Kudos to Marvin.

SERVICE

This is where this resort is lacking. I have visited Jamaica twice before and have stayed in over a dozen all-inclusive resorts. Typically you can't pass a staff member walking down the sidewalk without getting a 'good morning', 'how are you?' or at least a 'hello'? Not all but a majority of the staff members at the Lady Hamilton seemed more annoyed to see guests and to have to serve them than happy that guests were there at all - this is front front desk, to bartenders, waiters, bellmen, etc. Nothing was ever presented with a smile and, many times, staff (especially in the restaurants) were very harried and aggressive. It's not the kind of environment that is conducive to relaxing and feeling welcome. Several of the other guests that we encountered on our trip and spoke with echoed the same sentiments. Guests should be made to feel special, not like a nuisance. There needs to be more more stringent customer service training at this resort.

Overall, we had a lovely trip, however I will choose another resort if and when I vacation in Jamaica next based primarily on the less than stellar attitudes of the staff at the Lady Hamilton.

• Stayed January 2012, travelled with friends
4 Thank TravelfromNYC
Saint Clair, Pennsylvania
Reviewed 7 February 2012

My wife and I stayed at the Lady Hamilton from October 3rd to the 9th of 2011 for our honeymoon. First let me debunk some myths. There is no free room upgrade for honeymooners, and the red "VIP" bracelet is useless if you go off season, because the resort is empty enough you can walk into the restaurants with no or minimal wait, no need for reservations. I'm sure this is nice during peak season. We stayed n a 1 bedroom suite because of a higher chance of ocean view... Not worth it in our opinion. Even with honeymooner "VIP" status, we hardly had an ocean view. It consisted of about a 10 foot long view between villas. Luck of the draw I suppose, but we saw families checking in at the same time who got better views. So again,"VIP's"... no. This was the first time we have ever been to the caribbean region and the first time to an all inclusive resort. We read all of the reviews on here and elsewhere online and thought, we aren't snobs like a lot of people on here and will probably think it is amazing as we are used to staying in Econolodges and Sleep Inns. I can not emphasize enough that this was a big let down. The resort is beautiful, the pool amazing and the staff pleasant, but that's about it. Our favorite meal of our stay was at Boghali, the Indian restaurant, and the breakfast buffets are decent. Poseidon was also good. For people who rave about the jerk shack... maybe you've never had real jerk, or have been indulging on the local smoke of choice a little too much, but it was definitely sub-par. We took a day trip through the on site travel agent to Negril for only $50 for both of us, much cheaper than the taxi service, and we got real jerk chicken there, and there was absolutely no comparison. The trip was worth going just to see how beautiful Jamaica really is, especially 7 mile beach, which is incomparable to the Palladium's beaches. The snorkeling around the palladium is very good however, but that's because there is rocks, coral, and grass around all of their beaches. The bars were enjoyable, made mostly again by the pleasant staff who are willing to concoct any drink you can think up. I am not a big drinker any more, but banana coladas with rum cream...out of this world. We tipped both our mini fridge stocker and maid every day. Leave a note in the fridge with a couple bucks and you'll get what you want. The maid was nice except on our last day. Our room was never cleaned, and our towels never changed. I made a call to the front desk and they said someone will be right over to take care of it. 2 hours later, I made another call, same response and apology. We had been to the beach and pool and wanted to shower... We decided to just go get dinner and surely it would be done by then. Nope. When we got back our room was in the same condition we left it. I made one more call to the front desk, by this time I was very perturbed. A few minutes later, I heard room service outside our door. It was the maid for next door... I was able to get some towels from her and, by this time, toilet paper as well. We could finally shower. Hooray!!! Shortly thereafter, a gentleman came to our room with towels, a day late and a dollar short... We had one memorable poor experience at one of the buffets, the one by where the Italian restaurant is. We decided to get a late breakfast. My wife doesn't drink juices, and she asked for a Coke. They would not get her one. Period. The bar was "closed". It literally just closed. The bar tender had just started to clean up. I had to go to him and ask for a Coke and all I got was a roll of the eyes and a Coke, this was totally unnecessary. I could understand if it was closed for a while. But it literally had just closed. Overall I will do my own break down of our honeymoon to the Grand Palladium Lady Hamilton.

First Impression - 5
-Great View, beautiful resort.

Room - 4
-5 stars... definitely not, but it did it's job well. Bed was comfy.

Food - 2
-At one point I compared it to high school cafeteria food, and just wanted real food when we got back. Not even joking here. We enjoy our food, but aren't food critics or snobs, but this was just a huge let down. The wait was also long for some items.

Service- 2
-Most everyone was nice, and accommodating, except our last day of room service and Coke experience. These can not be excused.

Extras - 4
- The travel service offered here is very extensive and priced extremely well. Just look here before taking a taxi. Lots of on-site activities.

Spa - Can not rate. We did not utilize it.

Location - 3
- The town of Lucea is a nice little town. However you are removed from it, and there is nothing immediately around the resort. It sits practically in the middle of Montego Bay and Negril. We had to wait quite a while for our transfer to the resort from the airport, as not many

Cleanliness - 4
- Resort was kept well maintained. Saw a few large roaches, outside, not in our room, this is the tropics people.

Beaches - 3
- Nothing spectacular, but we didn't expect them to be. They are enjoyable, mostly quiet beaches, that are rocky and not great for swimming.

Entertainment - 4
- We only went to see the steel drum band on stage and live reggae band at the bar upstairs.

Pool - 5
- What more can I say, largest pool in the carribbean, kept clean and maintained.

Final Impression - 3
Didn't live up to the hype or our expectations which weren't high to start. We simply wanted an enjoyable honeymoon, we got that, but it certainly could have been better with minimal effort on the resorts part. This place could be spectacular instead of just average.

Conclusion -
We will not be going back to the Grand Palladium, or probably any all inclusive due to what we experienced here, and reading reviews from people that say this is an above average resort. We will however be returning to Jamaica, particularly Negril. We so wish we had stayed in Negril and just bought local food, which is so much better. We would have saved money and had a much better time, on a superior beach. We work hard for our money and saved for a long time for this honeymoon, and it was just a let down in as many ways as it was nice.

Our advice, skip the Grand Palladium.

Room Tip: You can request a room via e-mail one week before your arrival, but it probably doesn't do a lot...
  • Stayed October 2011, travelled as a couple
4 Thank dsrtfox1942
Wheeling, West Virginia
Reviewed 5 February 2012

We were a group of eight (4 couples) who have just returned from our first trip to Lady Hamilton grand palladium. This resort is very big but if you need a golf cart to take you around it is very easy to do. We stayed in villa 28 which we loved.The pool here is amazing. There are 3 beaches but sunset cove was our favorite. It has the watersports there and also the jerk chicken shack which is fabulous. The only negative I would say would be the lack of help for the bartenders and how only a few bars are open late with a resort this large. Definatley try the Posiden seafood resturant.

6 Thank lan33
Sioux Lookout, Canada
Reviewed 4 February 2012

My wife & I stayed at GPLH from Jan 19 - 26 2012. The entire resort was very nice. There are three smaller beaches so you options each day to enjoy the sea. The food was great and went to 4 a la cartes. Tons of choices at the buffets as well
This was our first trip to Jamaica, but have travelled to Mexico, Dominican & Cuba. The GPLH is clearly a 41/2 star resort.

Room Tip: Choose apt #33. THE THIRD floor gives an excellent view of the sea facing Lucea. Most rooms will req...
1 Thank bob d
Also consider these accommodations in or near Lucea
Grand Palladium Jamaica Resort & Spa
Iberostar Rose Hall Suites
Secrets St. James Montego Bay
Secrets St. James Montego Bay
#11 of 63 in Montego Bay

Been to Grand Palladium Lady Hamilton Resort & Spa? Share your experiences!