“Great Vacation”

Grand Palladium Lady Hamilton Resort & Spa
Ranked #1 of 3 Hotels in Lucea
Reviewed 16 August 2012

I have just returned from from a two week stay at the Palladium. I was a bit concerned prior to travelling due to the the mixed reviews... I have come to the conclusion that the negativity is from fake posters from rival hotels or rude, ignorant holidaymakers complaining for the sole intention of seeking compenstation...(if you cant afford it dont book it!!)
We arrived and the transfer, check in and bell boy service to the room was very efficient. Our room was in Villa 26, clean and tidy, some of the finishing left a bit to be desired but nothing to moan about. The maid service was excellent...Paula looked after us and always had the room cleaned by the time we returned from breakfast at 8.30. She even changed the clothes on my daughters dollies! We tipped her $5 every other day and she was always appreciative. We had one issue with the toilet not flushing and the maintenence man arrived within five minutes and repaired it straight away.
The main pool was huge...cleaned every morning and lots of activities orchestrated by the POP team.. a group of youngsters that work incredibly hard and with great enthusiasm. The swim up bar was very popular and the staff did incredibly well as I wouldnt have stood for the rudeness of some clients demanding their Bubba Kegs (huge mugs) to be filled with rum..NOW!
The sunset cove beach was quieter and fairly sandy...no need for beach shoes. The watersports were great, with snorkalling, kayaking and the use of pedalos all free, When snorkalling the fish were plentiful at only a couple of feet, much to the delight of my daughter. The Poseiden restaurant above the beach was beautiful, fantastic views and service with great food, and the jerk chicken hut at the beach is a must.
We never had any issues at the restaurants and was always seated within ten minutes, for both buffet and al a carte. Jamican, Asian and Mexican were oustanding, the steakhouse and Italian were good and the Indian a bit poor...but we are spoilt in England with excellent curry restaurants.
Overall we had a fantastic holiday... excellent service from Thomson (upgrade to premium economy) Rooms were 4 star, scenery 5 star, service 4/5 star and restaurants 4/5 star. Definately a good four star hotel... remember that the staff work there it is there job.... if you start a sentence with please and a smile you will get better service than sentences that start with I want...now!
Ignore the negativity from certain people... we did and had a great time and would go back next year.
I forgot to mention that the SPA was excellent.. very reasonable by English standards, my wife had a manicure for £18 and was impressed with the quality, my daughter had a partial braiding for £25 and it was fab..... she thinks she is keeping it in for school.... she can think again!!

Room Tip: Villa 26 is a tad noisy as it overlooks the pool but the views are breathtaking and well worth it.
  • Stayed: August 2012, travelled with family
18  Thank James1970_3
FiestaJamaica, Manager at Grand Palladium Lady Hamilton Resort & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded 18 August 2012

Dear James 1970_3:

Thank you for sharing your comments. We are glad that you enjoyed your stay at our Resort. Our staff are indeed some of the friendliest people that you will come across. I am happy you enjoyed our massive pool, the largest on the island, and also the various a la carte restaurants that we have.

We invite you to visit so you may experience the improvements that have been made. Thank you for having stayed with us.

Best regards.

Write a ReviewReviews (5,433)

Traveled Aug 5th to 12th 2012

We are not even back 24hrs and omg my family is missing this place like mad!

This resort is absolutely fantastic!

First impression:

Grandeur, Majestic, Heavenly and oh sooooooooo beautiful!!!
It was out of this world fantastic!

The rooms:
Very clean. We had 2 rooms overlooking the Las Brisas beach, by the adult pool, building #29..Close to everything... These room you don't need to leave your room key in the slot for the air condition to work.. It was great!!

The pool:

oh my god, how amazingly humongous!! it doesn't matter how many people there are in the resort, there will always be lounger chairs available, beds to lay on in the pool and ample space for swimming. It was huge!

Negril Buffet:
This is the main buffet and where we ate 5 days of our 7 days of our stay. It was fantastic. All who worked there, were very nice and welcoming. The food was terrific and plenty of variety.

A la carte:
We tried the Indian and the Italian. Both were horrid, but the Indian one was worse.. Food was warm, not even hot. The wait was always always loooong... It is first come first serve and we waited about 2.5 hrs just to be seated. When you are seated the wait was also long. At the Indian restaurant we didn't even wait for dessert.

The beaches:
We were in front of Las Brisas, it was nice, small and quaint. Lots of algae though and little fishes swimming up to your feet, and mosquitoes by the lounge chairs, So I didn't stay too long over there.
Sunset Cove was the best, the Jerk Hut was located there and it was hell amazing, the water was better here and as usual plenty of lounge chairs for everyone. This is where you can do your water sports.

There are other beaches, but we loved it at the people and was content on spending the majority of our time there.

Staff:

Petrina works at the front reception at the check in counter. She is an amazing person and will try to accommodate all your needs as best as she could. Yes, she is fantastic!! Thank you Petrina for everything!

Jason works at the Negril buffet and is always happy to serve us. He is also fantastic!

Annette, our maid is what can I say, fantastic... hehehehehehehe, we had 2 rooms and she did an amazing job in our room every day!

Entertainment:

It was ok. Not fantastic. Alot of audience participation. We saw 2 shows max. It was kinda boring and same old same old.

The Gym:
My hubby and kids used this and I just watched them... hehehehe Its spacious and enclosed with glass. So you can still see the lovely surroundings.

The spa:
Us girls went there to get braids done. $2 per braid. It was cool. The spa is also beautiful with pool, jacuzzi.. Lots of $$$ for services at the spa. I thought it would be cheaper...

Excursions:

Dunns River Falls, ocho rios
Margaritaville, Jetski, 7 mile beach, shopping, Ricks Cafe, Negril
Zip Lining, Negril
Margaritaville outdoor waterpark, shopping, Montego Bay

This vacation was one of our best vacations. This resort I would definitely go back!!

Room Tip: Building #29, Junior suite, ocean view, small beach and adult pool is outside your balcony.
  • Stayed: August 2012, travelled with family
6  Thank Tess G
Reviewed 13 August 2012

I just returned to NY from my stay at the G. Palladium in Lucea, JA.Overall it was great experience. The resort is beautiful-extremely big which maybe a turn off to people who do not like to walk. They provide a trolly service but I think they need to increase the frequency of times they drive around. My friends and I were impressed that every room had a jacuzzi and a mini fridge which was restocked everyday( even though the fridge could be colder).
I found the staff to be very pleasant for the most part- especially Kemare,Anneisha and Romaine-wait staff in the Negril Restaurant who all went above and beyond their assigned duties to make our stay a memorable one. The Front Desk staff-Kimberlee, Jevon, Dominique, Kenisha & Jessica were all very friendly and always professional. Koodos to the entertainment staff who worked long hours daily to keep the guests fully entertained-suberb nightly shows. The food was delicious for the most part but I think they need to have a better variety. My biggest complaint was about the Bartenders at the Infinity bar. We waited for a very long time before John, one of five bartenders decided to grace us with his presence. He proceeded to make one of the three orders and then walked away to the back. When we tried to complain to the supposedly Supr-Romaine, his behavior was worse than his staff. He not only removed his name tag but also kept laughing ,never apologized or even trying to offer any explanation as to why one side of the bar was being tended by four of the five bartenders. These four bartenders ruined our last night at the resort. I sure hope something is done about those guys-they're a big turn off. I'm sure my 8 friends and I will go back there but next time it will be on the Lady Hamilton side of the resort. It's a fun resort-definitley recommend it.

Room Tip: I recommend the Lady Hamilton side-it's quieter, closer to the beach and the jerk hut and the re...
  • Stayed: August 2012, travelled with friends
6  Thank LovieStokes

Dear Loviestokes:

Thank you for taking the time out to leave your review. We are always grateful to receive feedback about our staff and property as we work assiduously to assure our guests have memorable vacation experiences.

We guarantee that all comments have been considered and forwarded to relevant departments to take measures.

It is a pleasure to have had the opportunity of hosting you. We look forward to seeing you in the near future. Please do not hesitate to contact us; if there is anything at all we can do from this end.

Best Regards.

Reviewed 13 August 2012

Never judge a book buy its cover this hotel is pretty but thats it! for starters THIS IS NOT MONTEGO BAY someone does not know their geography!!!! Check in took about an hour and our rooms didnt not become available until a day later! the rooms are moldy! The all around service is crap! i wouldn't stay here ever again even if its free!..... on topppp of that the food is nastyyyyy!

Room Tip: turn back before you waste your money
  • Stayed: August 2012, travelled with friends
6  Thank moody41223
FiestaJamaica, Assistant Food & Beverage Director at Grand Palladium Lady Hamilton Resort & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded 18 August 2012

Dear guest,

Thank you for your feedback, and your comments are greatly appreciated. Let me extend my apologies for the inconveniences that you encountered

Victor Caride
Assistant Food & Beverage Director

Reviewed 12 August 2012

I would highly recommend all-inclusive packages at this resort. The resort receives high marks for appearance, pools/beach areas, food, cleanliness, service, and location. Please do not forget to bring cash to tip the workers generously (we did not realize how heavily they rely on tips).

The only part of this oasis that makes it hard to "get away" is the huge wealth disparity between the resort and the communities that surround it. If you get the opportunity to leave the resort, take the time see Jamaica for its own beauty.

• Stayed: May 2012, travelled as a couple
3  Thank Gajalbar G
Reviewed 12 August 2012

Gorgeous resort with breath taking views! Honeymoon villa was amazing.... Room 3024 was excellent! The views make this place amazing. I slept to the sound of the ocean waves lapping. Steps from the ocean on one side and steps from the adults only pool on the other side. Ice machine right next to room, too! Remember to pack tall cups or thermos as you can get any drink filled in it.
My biggest disappointment was the food. I am not picky at all, but please know the food is cafeteria like and burgers charred, medium rare steak at Bubbas steakhouse was so raw I was sick for most of my vacation. The lobby receptionists were down right rude and could care less if you were waiting. We were supposed to meet someone at a particular desk and time.... Never showed! What bothers me the most is that you'll see this in many reviews and yet it hasn't been addressed. I would not recommend people to choose this place over a Sandals resort. Sandals treats guests much better and the food is much better. I lost 9 pounds at an all inclusive resort in one week, that speaks volumes. Saved hard earned money to go and came home sick and feeling sad about a most unromantic week. Beautiful, yes. Luxury..no way mon. Investigate other resorts better than I did :(

Room Tip: Spend money and get a honeymoon villa. Right on beach and easy access to adult pool.
  • Stayed: August 2012, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Sadinparadise

Thanks for your review, we really appreciate you take the time to let us know about your holidays with us. We appreciate your positive comments about our facilities. At the same time, I would like to apologize for the inconveniences that you have outlined. . I am sorry we were unable to meet your expectations. As a 5 star Resort it is our duty to ensure that our guests receive quality service and are satisfied.

Best wishes,

Victor Caride
Assistant Food & Beverage Director

Reviewed 12 August 2012

We travelled from Birmingham airport, with Thomson's, on Wednesday 25th July, returning home on Thursday 10th August.

The first thing to say is that we had a good holiday. The hotel staff would always give a smile, were friendly and helpful when asked. During the entire 2 weeks we were never offered drugs – other than alcohol!

We stayed in block 38 room 33 – a room we would recommend! It had a great view over the bay towards Lucea. It was cleaned daily by Hyacinth. We had no issues with bedding and towels or restocking of the fridge.

Check-in was completed in a quick and efficient manner – prior to our arrival at the hotel we had completed the information sheet provided on the transfer bus. This meant that we were only detained 5 minutes at the desk itself and we were then taken, by the bell-boy, to our room. The room was clean and cool on our arrival. Actually it was delightful following the long journey!

The adult pool and the ‘relax’ pool were both very nice. We didn’t use the main pool but it looked equally pleasant. ‘Sunset Cove’ and ‘Coral beach’ were also very good, neither required water shoes, although they did make entry and exit of the water easier. Both beaches offered good snorkelling. Didn’t use ‘Las Brisas’ beach as, following a rain storm, half of it had been washed away. This exposed even more rocks and stones, making it even less appealing.

The Spa area was a pleasant place to relax in, however, during our second week a number of children descended upon the pool area, despite a sign indicating that this was ‘An adult only’ area. We didn’t partake in any of the treatments as they were very expensive.

All the food we tried, throughout the resort, was edible, but the evening buffet meal lack variety on occasions. However our biggest gripe was the lack of service at these venues, during these times.

Breakfast was a different issue – on many occasions we had to use a knife or fork to stir our hot drink. On two consecutive mornings we were forced to eat cereals with a fork - once at 7.00am when the buffet had just opened. Often there were no glasses available for Fruit juice or Smoothies - indeed, often there were no Smoothies available as they had run out. The best part of the breakfast buffet provision was the contribution made by the ‘Omelette King’ in the Negril buffet – ‘omelettes to die for!’

One morning we witnessed 10 or more families forced to wait at the front of the buffet venue, unable to be seated as tables were not ready. The reason for this delay, a lack of clean drinking glasses – really???

We tried the majority of the ‘A La Carte’ restaurants which were fairly mediocre to be honest. The one except ion being ‘Bubba’s Grill house’. The steaks were out-of-this-world!

Finally, our biggest disappointment surrounds ‘Miss Lou’s’. It served a lovely cup of coffee and a good range of spirits were available. However, the seat cushions were often wet due to guests having come straight from the pool with sodden clothes. The ‘Jazz band’ went for volume over quality, and finally, some evenings ‘Miss Lou’s’ felt more like a crèche than a piano bar! Shame!!

We undertook a single excursion to ‘Dunn’s River Fall’s’, booked through the Thomson rep at the resort. The Fall’s were very good, well worth the long drive. However, the trip felt rushed, we didn’t stop for lunch and we were expected to change on the minibus.

I want to repeat that we did enjoy our holiday, met some lovely people whom we shared a lot of fun with, but this hotel has problems that are not insurmountable but bring into question the ‘5*-rating’ as described within the brochure. In our opinion the current provision is what we would expect from a poor ‘4* hotel’. Management where are you?????

Room Tip: Block 38 Room 33 - great view, close to spa and main building, nice and quiet!
  • Stayed: July 2012, travelled as a couple
8  Thank cycling_gnome
Also consider these accommodations in or near Lucea
Hyatt Zilara Rose Hall
Hyatt Ziva Rose Hall
Hyatt Ziva Rose Hall
#3 of 6 in Rose Hall
Holiday Inn Resort Montego Bay

Been to Grand Palladium Lady Hamilton Resort & Spa? Share your experiences!