“Absolutely amazing holiday - ignore the negative comments!!!”

Grand Palladium Lady Hamilton Resort & Spa
Ranked #1 of 3 Hotels in Lucea
Essex
“Absolutely amazing holiday - ignore the negative comments!!!”
Reviewed 28 August 2012

We stayed at this resort for 2 weeks from 10th July and had the most amazing time ever. We've been to several other international destinations including the carribean before so have plenty to compare to and I just dont understand the negative reviews here!!! All I would say is if the type of things you worry about is the number of face cloths you get then stay at home and be miserable!!!!

The only rude people we encountered were actually guests, the staff were all amazing - so friendly, helpful and entertaining it was untrue. Those who have written on here about rude staff were probably the guests we witnessed who think its ok to shout across a bar "Hey give me a drink" - not even a please or thank you and they wonder why they dont get a positive response?

The food in all the restaurants was great, we didnt have one bad meal and yes men have to wear long trousers in the ala carte restaurants but this is the same in every single 4 or 5 star hotel we have ever been to. It does seem a bit strange that men cant wear a shirt and tailored shorts but can wear jeans and a football shirt, but again this is the same in all quality hotels, so I really dont see why some people are so surprised by this.

The pool was wonderful with great music, the beaches also were lovely and the jerk chicken at the hut and beach restaurant was out of this world.

We loved the infinity bar, and each of the shows there every evening was brilliant, from the great singers to the steel band with the amazing dancers. Drinks were great throughout all of the bars in the hotel, again I dont understand how some people have commented they were weak??? These people must be serious drinkers!!!!

Thank you so much to all everybody at the Grand Palladium Lady Hamilton for making our holiday so special we will definitely be back as soon as we can!!!

• Stayed July 2012, travelled as a couple
14 Thank 722Kim

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,356)
  • Polish first
Manchester, United Kingdom
Reviewed 26 August 2012

On arrival at the hotel, my husband and I were given a glass of rum punch as we waited in the queue, great I thought, as we had had a long journey and it was very humid. This is only one of a few things that I can say I enjoyed......
When we were called to reception, we gave our details, they asked if we were Honeymooners, we smiled and said yes. They told us that our room was not ready and for us to go away and come back in 1 hour, which I thought was disgusting.
We went back to reception and was issued with a red band each, which lets the other staff around the hotel know you are celebrating something special and you are supposed to get VIP treatment, Yeah right, what a joke, it means nothing as you will find out later on in my report.
I will just bullet point issues as we go as I would not have enough room on here to express in all my disappointment.

1) Waited for over 1 hour for our room to be ready, which it was not. There was no welcome pack that honeymooners get on arrival, which consists of a banner on the room door, a plate of cut fruit cling filmed and a half bottle of rum, flowers and chocolates.

2) Once in the room, my husband went to check the mini bar, thinking we could sit on the balcony and enjoy the sea view we had. NO CHANCE, not even a bottle of water in the warm fridge. My husband called reception to let them know, he was told someone would be up shortly to fill the fridge. We waited in the room thinking they would not be to long. 2 hours later, still no sign. My husband called again, to be told they were aware and someone would be dealing with it. 4 hours later still nothing. We ended up going to bed angry and upset.

3)Another issue was with our balcony light, it was not working, we reported it on the second day, on the 4th day it was reported to reception, on the 5th day it was fixed.

4)We booked a trip to the Martha Brae rafting, we had an early start the next morning, we decided to have a early night so we were back in our room for 9.30pm, only to get a call from reception at 10pm to say it was not going ahead. They did not give any reason, we went to the rep the next morning to get our refund only to find out he knew nothing about what had happened.THERE WAS NO COMMUNICATION.

5) We were offered a complementary meal, but as its an all inclusive anyway, how does that work??????????? plus we could not have a choice of what we wanted from the menu, it was what we were given.........

6) I wanted to surprise my husband with a romantic meal on the beach, lobster, champagne, flowers, waiter service. I told the rep I would confirm when I came back and pay with my card, as the weather had not been to good in the afternoons with heavy rain. I was told no problem! The cost being $195, I decided to go to the Palladium rep to cancel about 12 noon only to find nobody at the desk. Later I told my husband of what I had intended to do, but the rain was heavy and decided to go to one on the a la carte restaurants.
We had been seated for about 5 minutes when a woman came to our table, arms folded screeching "you can't eat here you have to eat at the beach". She said that because I had not cancelled by 2pm then I still had to pay for the meal, I did explain I did try to cancel but there was nobody at the desk. She was loud and was insisting that if we did not go to the beach, we would still be charged for the meal, they would charge it to our room. People were looking at us it was really embarrassing, I did not know what to do. My husband took charge and told her we are not paying for anything we have not had, and we had tried to cancel. My husband then told her to go away and to go and speak to her manager, or for the manager to come speak to him. She did come back and say we did not have to pay, but by this time we were so angry we did not finish our meal and just headed for the bar for a strong drink. I just wanted to cry....

7) My husband went to use the gym, I went back to our room to get the things we needed for the beach, towels, sun cream, snorkelling equipment etc. I opened the door to our room only to find we had a leak from the celling running down the wall. I nearly slipped on my backside and tweeked a muscle, taking painkillers for a few days. I had to put a few towels down on the floor. I called the maid who was on our floor, she called to reception, the phone rang for 5 mins but no one picked up. She had to go and find someone who could help. She turned up with a woman wearing paint stained overalls. She got some ladders, took the panels of the ceiling and spent about 40mins doing what she had to do to stop the leak, with the maintenance woman not knowing what caused it.

8) My husband and I spent most of the day snorkelling, swimming so when it came to dinner time we were ready for a hearty meal. We decided to go and try the steak house All dressed up looking forward to a nice rare stake, a glass or two of red, we arrived at the steak house only to find it was closed. We were really disappointed as we had paid a lot of money to have the choice of what we could eat and when, only to find out 3 out of the 6 a la carte restaurants were closed with no explanation as to why............

9) We had been chatting to this couple who recommended the Chinese restaurant one evening. So this one evening we decided we would try it. We were greeted by the maitre'd, asked for our room number, then was asked to take a seat at the bar and wait for our room number to be called. We did this at 5.50pm, I had a cocktail and my husband had a beer. We were chatting to other people at the bar, after a while I noticed other people who had come in the restaurant after us were getting seated before us. The time by now was 7.30pm so I asked my husband to go and check to find out what the problem was. He came back saying she had forgotten about us and we can follow her now. Well you can imagine the smoke coming out of my ears. My husband was trying to calm me, but it seems everyday their is something!!! Their were empty tables in the restaurant which made it even worse, and when the starters of soup did come, it was only warm. I could not eat it, and after this we decided to leave, and once again head for the bar...........

10) On arrival, like I said earlier wearing a red wrist band means you are suppose to be treated as a VIP because you are celebrating something. When we went into the buffet or the restaurants, my husband had to ask for our drinks to be topped up. It's like 2 drinks is the limit, any more and you have to ask. This is NOT 5 star treatment, having to ask for drinks, and having to wait for 2 hours for food, having to constantly remind reception of any problems. I think they must have pulled the other 3* out of a sticker book.

11) The beach is quit course under foot, they have signs on the beach warning you of sting rays but not of the sea urchins which their are a lot of within the coral, some quite large.

12) Beware the bulldozer on the beach at night while you are trying to have a quiet drink on the balcony or sleep. The time this thing comes out is unconscionable hours.

13) The trucks that fly around the resort do so quite fast is an issue, we had to move out of the way or get run over and because of this a lot of the paving is cracked. So beware wearing heels ladies.

It is the only time I will ever go to this resort, and with it being our honeymoon we were extremely disappointed. I would advise anyone celebrating anything special not to waste their money on this place.

Oh, one last point. If you are arranging to get married in Jamaica, DO NOT USE THE LADY HAMILTON. I witnessed 2 weddings and the decor on the beach was minimal and so unromantic. I myself am a Wedding Planner and know only too well what couples require to make their day really special, but its not what the Hamilton offers.

My husband and I will be going back to Jamaica as it is a lovely island, warm and friendly people, great food and music, but it will never be at the Grand Palladium Lady Hamilton resort after they totally ruined our honeymoon.

Room Tip: Stay in a RIU........
  • Stayed August 2012, travelled as a couple
10 Thank elaine C
FiestaJamaica, Assistant Food & Beverage Director at Grand Palladium Lady Hamilton Resort & Spa, responded to this review, 31 August 2012
Dear guest,

We appreciate the time which you have taken to share your vacation experience while at our Resort. Let me extend my apologies for the inconveniences that you have outlined and the facts that you described, we take good note of them and we will analize them and we will make sure to fix them if that was the case. I am sorry we were unable to meet your expectations.

Best regards,
Victor Caride
WOLVERHAMPTON
Reviewed 26 August 2012

This is a review on the wedding not the hotel.if you havent got a big wedding party travelling with you forget it ,the wedding coordinators dont seem bothered.Our coordinator contacted us a month before the wedding & emails went back and forth with arrangements for room requests,flowers,buttonholes,music etc.7 of us were travelling and we met another 2 out there.
pros: lovely surroundings by the wedding gazebo and plenty of photo opportunities.
we had seen larger weddings with decorated evening venues but this was too big for our party so we asked if we could pay to reserve a part of miss lous(only suitable place) and have it decorated table arrangement etc to make it a little special as theres not much else to do in the evening for a small wedding.was told definately not, this could not be done as there was less than 15 people so we turned up to an undecorated evening with 2 scrappy pieces of a4 paper cellotaped to the table 'reserved',oh it felt so special...not !! that was our evening ,not one to remember.
room requests were never passed from coordinator to relevant dept so 1of the rooms we had requested as 2 double beds,this wasnt given, leaving it rather awkward for the people in that room due to ages and sexes to share a kingsize and a sofa bed.we met with coordinator 2nd day of holiday and she ran thru details and asked us to go back the day before wedding to take in place settings and favors for meal.we did this but to be told it was her day off and to come back day of wedding,then found out she didnt get in til 11am and i was due in salon at 10.30.my bouquet was delived on the day,very nice but the buttonhole she told me she was taking over to groom never turned up.i had picked my late fathers favourite piece of music for wedding and said to coordinator on a number of occasions not to cut the music,i wanted the whole piece played,this was asked via email, meeting at hotel and just before wedding told not to worry only for it to be cut.she decided the music wasnt being played loud enough so stood at the top of the aisle and screamed down to dj half dozen times to turn it up!! classy.dj obviously hadnt been told that we had a sand ceremony,this is good to stretch out the ceremony at a cost starting from $80.as soon as vows were said dj obviously thought we were going to sign register and started to play music just for the officiant to shout over him to make him aware we had the sand ceremony next.we werent told of the running order of the ceremony so had to be ushered out by the officiant as wasnt sure if it was over.we were told a buggy would turn up to take us to reception in 15 minutes so time for photos and we made our way to meet buggy 35 minutes we were left in baking sun until a dirty buggy turned up.unfortunately by the time we got off my dress was filthy.meal was great,we went to the oriental and they couldnt do enough for us ,they were great and our cake was beautiful.
Our day could of been made really special if the coordinator had listened to our requests,items turned up as promised ,being able to travel from one place to another without getting dirty,the time taken to make things special our wedding evening was the biggest disappointment just being stuck in miss lou's being told there was nothing else just felt like any another night on holiday. i was disapointed seeing other weddings over there that were given the opportunity to celebrate in style due to the larger party numbers but we were offered nothing than a regular night in miss lous.

Stayed August 2012, travelled with family
1 Thank COJO1
West New York, New Jersey
Reviewed 24 August 2012

We were there Aug 5-12 2012 ...
The fact that they have the ordacity to rate this resort a 4star is crazy to me. 1st of all ... they dont have room service. If you decide to stay in to rest and get hungry dont bother to call room service because they dont bring it. They all dont have poolside food service. They prefer you only eat in the restaurants so they dont have to deal with rodents ... I guess the 200 cats they have roaming around the premises dont eat rodents. The final thing that really ticked me off ... MEN MUST WEAR PANTS TO EAT DINNER IN THE RESTAURANTS!! Not dress shorts .. PANTS!!! Really ... I paid $5,000 for 3 people to stay at this resort and my husband and son cant even wear whatever he wants for dinner.
And I'm not even going to get into the attitudes most of the workers had ... terrible

i wouldnt recommend this resort to anyone!!!! anyone I like anyways!!

Room Tip: meet your housekeeper and tip her well at the beginning ... guarranties you'll have clean tow...
  • Stayed August 2012, travelled with family
9 Thank zucajose
FiestaJamaica, Director of Sales at Grand Palladium Lady Hamilton Resort & Spa, responded to this review, 31 August 2012
Dear zucajose,

First of all, thank you for taking the time to share your comments based on your recent vacation spent at our Resort. Being a 5 star hotel, a dress code is required to, at least, use the restaurants a la carte during the dinner. At the same time, we have a buffet for dinner every night where we don't demand long pants.

Best regards,
Victor Caride
chadderton
Reviewed 22 August 2012

I have to say this place is the best place on earth i would highly recommend this hotel to anyone who said they are going to jamaica the people are so friendly and are always making sure you are ok and have everything you need.
The hotel rooms are of a large size and very homely, they are very cool when you walk in as there is a/c and a fan the maids are extremely good with what they do in the rooms the way they are presented is out of this world.
The swimming pools are very clean and very refreshing on a hot jamaican day the bar man Lawrence IS COOL and will make u a drink what ever you want and is very friendly and makes you have fun and get involved.
Their are a group of staff members named POP (people of palladium) all of them who work around the activity centre around the pool are amazing and great to get along with they will get you involved with everything they do from the activities theycarry out in the daytime and also the shows they do at the night. They also get you involved when they are in theinfinity bar get you up dancing they have very long days but still make sure your having a great time.
The thomson tour guide is also very friendly and will help you with anything you need to know about the trips, he also made the welcomemeeting very interesting and fun. The only thing is the hotel is set back a little from some attractions however this didnt bother us as there is a tour guide on the coach telling you different facts about jamaica which makes the trip more interesting as you got to learn more about Jamaica.
The restraunts are really nice thepeople are friendly andon the ball. the make sure you are enjoying the food and also make sure that you aren't without a drink. The restraunts are cool and majority of them do have a/c.
The beaches areout of this world they are really niceespecially sunset cove we really enjoyed it down there.
Our hotel room was near everything the adult pool and themain pool so we was really impressed with our location on the resort. However if you are feeling a little hot and don't feel lik walking then there is a bellboy who will drop you off or pick you up anytime of the day/night.
We have really enjoyed our time staying at the resort and didnt want to come home howerever we are excited to visit the hotel again and will be doing soon.

• Stayed August 2012, travelled as a couple
17 Thank tom6smith
FiestaJamaica, Manager at Grand Palladium Lady Hamilton Resort & Spa, responded to this review, 31 August 2012
Greetings!

Thank you very much for taking the time to share with us your review based on your recent vacation here at the Grand Palladium Lady Hamilton. We are elated to read about the time that you have had here with us. Being a 5 star All Inclusive Resort, we pride ourselves in the level of service which we offer to our guests as our aim is to meet and exceed their expectations.

We are pleased to know that you have enjoyed our exquisite meals and the dining experience which you have had at our a la carte restaurants. You also loved the exciting entertainment package that we have right throughout the day. We do have a friendly team who will constantly keep you on your feet and having a good time.

We would love to have you visit our property again in the near future as it was our pleasure having you stay with us on this visit.

Best Wishes
Toronto, Canada
Reviewed 20 August 2012

Just back from a weeks stay at the lady hamilton (aug 12-19 2012)
Rooms- clean spacious but smells moldy (out of the hotels control so I didn't consider that in my rating)
Pillows are like rocks and smell sour like they had been wet and not dried properly. The kicker was the hotel offered a "pillow menu" of amazing pillows for rent. Slightly annoyed by this as its not cheap to stay. if you want an amazing room with a view ask for villa 3404. Its last on the building and perfect back terrance looks out onto to the great little beach "sunset cove"

The staff is either really polite or really rude. We were so grateful for the great service we got at the indian a la carte restaurant that we tipped 20 dollars. :) -great food by the way a def must try (and their pickled mango and chutneys were aaaamazing!)

One staffer said to my husband that he should leave the wife in the room and head down to the disco to "creep on a young ting". Unprofessional. My sister and I were subjected to many conversations about our body parts in the local language (which I understand perfectly) the guys at the water sports are the worst. Aside from the unprofessional attitude of some bad apples the staff that was pleasant were incredibly so. I think if the palladium wants to really beef up they would be a little choicier with the staff they select. My biggest recommendation would be to teach staff the art of "sorry don't have option a...but id be pleased to provide you with option b" this never happened once during our stay.

They need to adjust their closing times for the infinity bar. (Stunning rooftop bar above the pool) there are quite a few younger couples who want to stay up and enjoy the stunning view but the second the last note plays from the (amazing) live band the bar is shut down and then the staff stands around waiting for people to leave. They literally converged in a grumpy looking cluster and stared at the groups of people until we felt obliged to ask if they were waiting for us to leave...
Not everyone wants to go to the casino-sports bar or disco (all playing loud music and doesn't leave you with a stunning backdrop) just a suggestion

Food is ok. Typical buffet food. Hard to nail but it was ok. Would have been nice to have authentic jamaican food instead of the watered down version that was served in the "jamaican corner"
Tried all the restaurants.like I said earlier the indian was the best. Otherwise... Meh. The steak house was super smokey. Not sure why.in our opinion theseafood spot by sunset cove was the worst for lunch. My husband was seved rotten ground beef in his wrap and when he told the waitress it was bad she smiled and said "oh?" (See suggestion about staff training above)
The jerk hut serves incredible jerk chicken (not authentic jerk but roasted to perfection) its at the sunset cove beach and starts serving at I think 1.
Better santitary measures would be suggested. Hand santitizers should be prominently displayed with a couteous note about consideration for all those who are sharing the resort and the importance of clean hands when in a buffet setting. As it stands there are tiny little dispensers with no sineage I wouldn't have seen them if I hadn't have gone looking for them.
Pools are fantastic. Stunning really. And always was able to get a great spot. It was so large that we never had to walk far for a great spot in the sun or shade. The beaches warn of stingrays (a bit nerve wracking for parents but bring water shoes and the kids -and you won't be so nervous- we saw one during our whole trip) the adults only beach had a whole bunch of them- and sea urchins too so tread carefully)

Vegetation is lush and well groomed. Just like in the pictures. Great music is played pretty much over the whole resort the vibe is very relaxed.
For the star rating I feel that you should not be left wanting for anything..little details like ipod docking stations..comfortable fresh pillows or better beds.. or even upgrading the linens.. are costs that I think are minimal in an operation as large as this. To charge for those kinds of extras really is just a bit tacky in my humble opinion. Its a bit like a child playing dress up and That's what I would expect from a lower star hotel.
Overall its a stunning resort but with the right human resources and finess added to the smaller details it could be a world class resort.

• Stayed August 2012
15 Thank SinoeD2
Manchester, United Kingdom
Reviewed 18 August 2012

this hotel is amazing. my daughter (14years old) said it as the best holiday she has ever been on and she has been to the like of kenya cuba egypt etc. the entertainment crew are mint and are dead good with kids and have a laugh with them. eg they chucked my daughter in the pool and chase the round and stuff. its always full of famous people like we met 3 2 footballers and a cricketer (micah richards manchester city) (daniel sturridge chelsea) chris gayle west indies cricketer) weather was gorgeous always hot!!! i recomend it 100% its a worth while holiday.

• Stayed May 2012, travelled with family
7 Thank ellie D
FiestaJamaica, Manager at Grand Palladium Lady Hamilton Resort & Spa, responded to this review, 23 August 2012
Greetings!

Thank you for sharing with us your review based on your recent vacation here at the Grand Palladium Lady Hamilton. We are elated that you and your family had such a wonderful time here at the Resort. We are glad that your daughter has had a great stay and that our entertainment staff was able to make it memorable. We do have an amazing team of ladies and gentlemen who are there to ensure that each guest is happy regardless of age. At The Grand Palladium, there is something for everyone.

It was our pleasure hosting you and we welcome you to visit us again in the near future to once more have a vacation nothing short of Grand!

Best Wishes
Also consider these accommodations in or near Lucea
Grand Palladium Jamaica Resort & Spa
Iberostar Rose Hall Suites
Holiday Inn Resort Montego Bay
Hotel Riu Montego Bay
Hotel Riu Montego Bay
#1 of 1 in Ironshore
Iberostar Rose Hall Beach Hotel
Secrets Wild Orchid Montego Bay

Been to Grand Palladium Lady Hamilton Resort & Spa? Share your experiences!