“Great vacation”

Ranked #1 of 3 Hotels in Lucea
mississauga
“Great vacation”
Reviewed 13 December 2013

We arrived on November 30, at the grand palladium, we were greeted with a welcome rum punch drink which was much needed. This is a very large property the beach area by the jerk hut was the best. The staff was amazing always willing to help which proves my point wherever you travel too and treat people with respect you are treated the same way. I was a little disappointed in the jerk hut, I know they have to tone down the heat to accommodate the majority of the guest, they had the hot sauce its not the same. My one complaint for this resort is that the shows at night were very bad. Having said that I will visit this resort again the STAFF WERE AMAZING, and please give the servers a little tip they work so hard.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled with friends
1 Thank Coojoy
FiestaJamaica, Manager at Grand Palladium Lady Hamilton Resort & Spa, responded to this review, 16 December 2013
Greetings!

Thank you for taking the time to share with us your review based off your stay here at the Grand Palladium Lady Hamilton. We are elated that your vacation with us was a wonderful one and that you enjoyed all that our property has to offer.

It was our pleasure hosting you and we welcome you to visit again in the near future. Please feel free to contact us if there is anything that we can do from this end. Until your next stay, best wishes from our Palladium Family.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,369)
  • Polish first
Caerphilly, United Kingdom
Reviewed 11 December 2013

We arrived at the Lady Hamilton with high expectations (even after reading the bad reviews as we took these with a pinch of salt). 1st impression left us thinking that it was a little run down and in need of a touch of paint in certain areas and a general tidy up. Unfortunately some of these bad reviews were true! Day 2 after viewing the whole resort and experiencing the evening at an Al carte restaurants we soon changed our opinions.

The rooms

They are very large but could do with a little more storage areas for clothes, the bathroom is huge with a walk in shower, separate whirlpool bath, huge vanity area with a good hairdryer (the girlfriend was very impressed), the downside was that you could hear running water coming from the shower drain constantly and for a few days you could smell the drains, but if you kept the door shut this wasn't a problem.

The resort

The resort is quite large and there are plenty of areas to sun bathe that never seem to get crowed as long as your up by 10am for the best spots but there was always somewhere to sun bathe. Our personal favourite was the adult pool by the coral cove beach, which was a great place to watch the sunset. Always somewhere to eat in the daytime, although they don't advertise when the restaurants are open in the daytime, but there is a book that tells you the times at guest relations. There is everything you need on site; excursions (worth shopping round for best price as they all vary in the resort), shops, spas, gym, activities etc...

Restaurants

I'll rank these in our preference

Bubba's (steak) - Like any good steakhouse, Fillet, T-bone, rib eye, chicken as you would get in any good restaurant

Jamaican - some very good local cuisines and very very tasty, recommend the curry goat, Jerk chicken and snapper

Indian - excellent flavours with a Jamaican twist, joint 2nd

Lotus Flower (Chinese) - again very good

Italian - was average, probably a bit disappointed overall

Mexican - had a bad experience, my meal was ok but they had issue's in the kitchen had to wait 1 1/2 hrs for meal.

Poseidon (fish) - we didn't try this as the opening times clashed with others we wanted to try, people in resort we spoke said it was good though

Buffet - typical buffet, really good for lunch and breakfast, didn't differ much for evening meals from what was at lunch apart from a different theme,

The Jerk hut - really good jerk chicken and rice on the beach.

Activities
Always something to do, kayaking, windsurfing, tennis, crazy golf etc....

The reason we only rated this hotel as a 3/5 was because we had no water for 2 days, no air conditioning for the last 3 days, needs a bit of TLC in areas and we had our phone charger stolen 7 days into the holiday, with a very poor investigation into who stole it.

Overall we did have a really nice holiday, very relaxed and plenty of happy memories. It goes to show that you don't have to let little 'situations' (as they have no problems in Jamaica!) spoil your holiday. Yeh Man!!!

Room Tip: sea view is a must we wee in 2735
  • Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple
4 Thank kevin c
FiestaJamaica, Manager at Grand Palladium Lady Hamilton Resort & Spa, responded to this review, 12 December 2013
Dear Kevin C:

Thank you for sharing your reviews and most importantly your positive feedback regarding your recent stay with us. We are very happy to know that you enjoyed the overall facility and that we were able to make your vacation a memorable one.

Your positive feedback will be shared among our staff in areas mentioned as this encourages them to continue doing well in a effort to ensure that our guests are completely satisfied.

Once again, we thank you for taking the time out of your busy schedule to write and share your experience. We hope that you return in the near future so that you can once again enjoy the Palladium service.

Best regards,
Kingston, Jamaica
Reviewed 10 December 2013

I am still in shock that a supposed five star hotel treats people with such scant regard! My weekend was hell from the moment we arrived at the hotel! We booked a group travel with reservations from June, hence when we arrived in November, it would be no secret that a group was on its way, right? Well, we arrived over two hours before check in and 3 hours after check in, we were all loitering in the lobby, awaiting our rooms or awaiting transportation via the 'jimny' to our rooms which really weren't THAT far away by foot so if only we knew, after travelling for over five hours! We were in disorganized queues for over an hour as other guests from at least one other large group plus other guests simply boarded the scantily available rides as soon as they came with no method to the madness whatsoever, despite the fact that seemingly a supervisor was to be there overseeing the smooth transition. After FINALLY getting to our room, it smelt like a cesspool truck had exploded in there! So we had to turn the a/c off and open the doors to let in fresh air! That was a general complaint by others traveling in the group. My two year old picked up a blue 'candy' off the floor and bless the Lord he took it to show mommy, only for me to discover that it was an ALEVE from the 'freshly cleaned room'! The mini-bar simply had two red stripe beers, two bottles of water, two small sodas and a regular 16 oz diet coke/sprite and the bath robes were non-existent in our Junior Suite. Then I took my two year old to the kids section to go on the slides and unfortunately he took off his slippers as was expected...little did I see or know that the grass below was water-logged with what seemed like stagnant water! They had to use caution tape to bar off the area the following day, which remained there even when we were departing, so he didn't get to enjoy the slides afterall. The lines to the buffet were ridiculous despite there being two buffets beside each other (one of which was closed and seemingly being renovated or at least having the WINDOWS cleaned). I ordered juice one particular day and was finished eating before the drink finally arrived (I ate very slowly). On the second day of our stay, my baby fell ill and my husband took him back to our room only to be greeted by drilling and hammering in the room directly above ours as though we were on a construction site! After some two hours, hoping it would stop, we called front desk and were put through to someone who promised to get back to us...they never did...the drilling and hammering ended about another hour and a half after the call. It was so loud that people on the other blocks could hear and we were near to the gazebo where weddings were taking place! Needless to say, we also got headaches as a result of the noise. The beach was filled with sharp rocks both on the shore and in the water well before reaching knee depth.

On the good side: the pool is lovely (overcompensation for the beach or lack thereof maybe); the food was more or less good but lacked seafood on some days; the variety of fruits and pastries was good; the entertainment is broadway quality! The sports bar is really good (minus the broken tiles on the floor begging to be tripped over) and had to compensate for Black and White which is the club where the teens should hang out, but nothing is there to hold their attention. Back to the good things: oh, sorry, that's it.

Room Tip: Rooms closer to the main area will decrease your walk or wait on transportation, but rooms to the fa...
  • Stayed November 2013, travelled with family
3 Thank Keisha K
Dear Keisha K:

We have read your reviews and found it very disheartening that your vacation experience did not meet your expectations.

Please allow me to extend our sincere apologies for the challenges and discomfort you encountered in particular cleanliness of the room among other areas of concern. Your comments are not taken lightly and has so far been brought to the attention of our management team so that the necessary corrective action can be taken to prevent any further recurrence.

We sincerely regret that your experience was not at all positive, however we have also taken note of your positive feedback and appreciate the time you have taken to give your reviews. Rest assured that we will take the necessary steps to address these issues and we hope that you will allow us another opportunity to make it right.

Best Regards,
Waterdown, Canada
Reviewed 9 December 2013

I rarely do this- most of my reviews are positive and show the side of Jamaica that I truly love and enjoy going back to.
The resort itself is very nice, lots of bars and restaurants. 5 beaches, the largest pool in Jamaica and plenty to do. The rooms were well appointed but the pillows were flat and very hard- never got a good night’s sleep and if I was to do it over I would take a pillow from home as some suggested. I read a lot about theft and we did experience this with a few small items missing, nothing big but still unsettling. One day I returned to my room to find a security guard at the door with the maid’s trolley and no maid, I knew our maid as she had cleaned our room each day and we had talked a bit in passing. The guard went into our bathroom while I was getting some stuff for the beach and when we returned later that day we noticed some cigarettes and food items missing.
Having spent many vacation in Jamaica at resorts ranging from 2 to 5 star I understand there is a "Jamaica" speed of service- I am normally good with this as the staff are usually pleasant and try to service everyone as quickly as possible. This resort was probably the worst service I have experienced to date starting with breakfast right though dinner service. The morning coffee would arrive at the table 20mins after you ordered, in most cases just in time for you to leave- there was always lots of staff on however it just seemed that they didn’t know what they were to do. You could wait 10 minutes at the Infinity bar at night for anyone to acknowledge you and then wait another 15 mins for your drink. There seemed to be no incentive to provide good service. That being said I found the bar service at the smaller pool bars to be pretty good but these were usually less busy and the bartenders had time to have a laugh or two with you- it was the larger nighttime locations that really lacked in the service you expect from what is considered a 5 star resort. It seemed to be the same for all guest as while waiting it was the common discussion between most of us.
As I have mentioned I am a regular visitor to Jamaica, actually born there but I would have difficulty suggesting this resort over others I have stayed at. With improved service this would have been a great vacation as the resort was great- hopefully with enough feedback the management can work with the staff to improve the guest experience.

Room Tip: We stayed in the 26# Villa's which were close to all restaurants and the main pool area.
  • Stayed November 2013, travelled with friends
3 Thank borninja
FiestaJamaica, Assistant Food & Beverage Director at Grand Palladium Lady Hamilton Resort & Spa, responded to this review, 12 December 2013
Dear borninja,

We appreciate the time which you have taken to share your vacation experience while at our Resort. I would like to express you how sorry we are to hear that we could not fulfill all your expectations. Regarding the service, we try through trainings and briefings, to provide our guest what they require and deserve.

It was a pleasure to host you.

Best wishes.

Victor Caride
Assistant Food & Beverage Director
Reviewed 7 December 2013

We stayed in the resort in nov 2013. During out stay we noticed cats walking on the property of the resort especially around beach area - Sunset cove beach. 2 out of 5 of us contracted parasitic infection by just walking on the beach. This problem was reported on this site before but it looks like the management of the resort doesnt care about safety of their guests. I sent an email to corporate office before posting on this forum but received no response.

• Stayed November 2013
7 Thank bobddd
Liverpool
Reviewed 6 December 2013

We have just returned today from our holiday and we had an amazing time. The hotel was always very clean and the grounds are wonderful.

The staff were all very friendly and we will certainly miss Clive (casino bar) and Kimberley (buffet resturant) they truly looked after us.

I would highly recommend the catamaran trip that leaves the hotel, the crew were very informative and we had an amazing time, wish we had done it in our first week as we would have done it again in our second!

Please check out the Jamaica show in the theatre it is amazing! The cast work really hard.

My only negative point is that the air con in the sports bar definatley needs to be on as it was way to hot in there and we would have liked to spend more time in there.

We hope to return some time soon.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple
3 Thank LiverpoolHotChick
FiestaJamaica, Manager at Grand Palladium Lady Hamilton Resort & Spa, responded to this review, 9 December 2013
Dear LiverPoolHotChick:

I have read your feedback and would like to take this opportunity to thank you for sharing your positive comments with us. We are indeed happy to know that you had a great time and that you enjoyed the facility.

We appreciate the time and effort you have taken to share your comments as this is one of the ways in which we improve out products and services.

Again, thank you for choosing Grand Palladium and we look forward for your return visit in the near future.

Best Regards,
Fredericton, Canada
Reviewed 6 December 2013

Well this was our wedding, It was our first time south and we chose the Grand Palladium Lady Hamilton resort in Lucea Jamaica. It was wonderful. The pool was beautiful, the beaches were small compared to what I am used to but still very nice. One of the beaches *coral beach* had THE BEST snorkeling, and let me tell you I was a little nervous of the water, considering the size of the waves but at coral beach the waves were minimal. We saw crabs, fish of various sorts, sting rays (smaller in size). Everything was fairly clean, there was one incident with a little bit of mold growing on the couch but when it was mentionned to staff they had it cleaned. The food at the buffet was terrific, did not even really have to go to any of the sit down restaurants unless you really wanted to. Our wedding day turned out spectacular, everything was just right ! A bit shout out to OMESHIA she is wonderful and I hope she enjoyed our canadian gifts LOL! We took most of our family since it was our wedding and everyone enjoyed the trip tremendously. They had activities everyday, from beach volleyball, to competitions, to performances. I would definitely go back!!!

Room Tip: It depends on what you are looking for, but if it is a romantic getaway I would choose the ones that...
  • Stayed March 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank Carolyn B
FiestaJamaica, Manager at Grand Palladium Lady Hamilton Resort & Spa, responded to this review, 6 December 2013
Dear Carolyn B:

We have read your reviews and we are delighted to know that you had a great time while you were here on your very special occasion. We are very happy that you found our staff to be warm and friendly and that the service and facility was to your expectations. Rest assured that your positive comments will be shared with our staff in particular Omeshia.

We want to thank you for taking the time to share your reviews and we really look forward to hosting you on your next vacation in the near future.

Best wishes
Also consider these accommodations in or near Lucea
Grand Palladium Jamaica Resort & Spa
#1 of 1 in Ironshore
3.5 of 5 bubbles 5,920 reviews
Iberostar Rose Hall Beach Hotel
Secrets Wild Orchid Montego Bay

Been to Grand Palladium Lady Hamilton Resort & Spa? Share your experiences!