“Stayed the week of the 28th of April thru the 2nd of May”

Grand Palladium Lady Hamilton Resort & Spa
Ranked #1 of 3 Hotels in Lucea
Salem, New Hampshire
“Stayed the week of the 28th of April thru the 2nd of May”
Reviewed 4 May 2014

We enjoyed the entire trip. Meet a group of ladies from MI. Enjoyed the Catarman boat ride, Dolphin swimming and the private beach. LOVED the jerk chicken at the The Jerk Hut.

The staff was wonderful. We were greeted and asked for an upgrade....and got it. $30.00 a night and we had a great suite.

The food was good.

Weather was perfect.

We enjoyed watching the games at the PUB....until a LOVELY LADY from Texas had a melt down because the BRUINS game was on and she was not having it. She complained and abused the staff....I was shocked and thought OMG this is one of the bad reviewers.

The restort was great. We would recommend it to anyone looking to have a great time.

Our family enjoyed it from day 1 to day 5.

Thank you.
NH Family

Room Tip: Ask for the upgrade when you arrive.
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled with family
3 Thank Sandra D
FiestaJamaica, Manager at Grand Palladium Lady Hamilton Resort & Spa, responded to this review, 13 May 2014
Dear Sandra D:

It is indeed a pleasure reading your reviews on the wonderful time you had while you were on vacation here with us at Grand Palladium Resort & Spa. We have also taken careful note of your concerns regarding our staff.

We were extremely happy to have served you and we look forward to your return visit so we can make it another grand vacation experience.

Warm regards,

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,369)
  • Polish first
Royal Tunbridge Wells, United Kingdom
Reviewed 3 May 2014

We stayed here for 2 weeks in September 2013 (I am a bit late with my review but promised myself I would do it). We decided on this hotel after reading the reviews. We had the most amazing time. We enjoyed beautiful sunshine until about 1pm everyday and then rain showers in the afternoons but we can't complain as we are early risers on holiday so enjoyed the morning sun and then enjoyed afternoons in the bar or down on the beach playing table tennis or crazy golf. The food is some of the best we have had on an all inclusive holiday. You must try the jerk chicken hut for lunch and the steak restaurant in the evening. We went to the Steak restaurant 2 times during our stay as it was so good, portions amazing and service outstanding! We were impressed to discover that Champagne was included in the all inclusive a few days into our stay (we should probably apologise to the hotel for the amount we ended up drinking). Also included were internation spirits, we literally could not believe our luck. It really is a beautiful setting and a lot to explore here. The people are just amazing! Our final night here was a friday and we went along to the jamaican party, it was my other half's birthday so we were really up for it anyway. It was just superb and the dancing was incredible. Some of the moves were something you'd see in a stunt film. It was also nice to hear a real steel drum band play. This really was the most perfect holiday and I would recommend this hotel in a heartbeat. Thanks for an amazing stay!

• Stayed September 2013, travelled as a couple
6 Thank Emma N
Dear Emma N:

Thank you for taking the time to share your reviews with us. We were very delighted to hear about the wonderful time you had while you were on vacation here with us at Grand Palladium Resort & Spa.

Saint Louis, Missouri
Reviewed 30 April 2014

We stayed for 6 nights from 4/23 to 4/29. It was a girls trip - there were 4 of us, we had two rooms.
First - the good:
The food was really good - the food in Mexico really gets to my stomach after the first day or so. I did not have the problem in Jamaica. I was happy with the food itself.
The views from the resort were beautiful.
For a single king bed room - we were worried it would be small, but the size ended up being fine.
We did a spa day on Friday and it was the best service of the trip at the resort. The facilities were great - we did the private pool, steam room, then 50 minute massages. This was definitely my favorite part of the trip.
It was nice that all the signage and such was in English! We weren't used to that going to Mexico so much :)

As far as the other stuff---

Customs was a nightmare to get thru. Which I understand, every country is different. The apple rep at the airport was great but our shuttle driver was not. We got off the shuttle and just kind of stood around not knowing what was going on. He finally flagged down a hotel rep (which is weird bc I'm used to being bombarded by resort people.) They could not find us on the sign in sheet. One person told us to get back on the shuttle to go to the sister property. The other one told us to get off, unload our bags and just try and check in. So we say ok. Then the apple rep ASKS FOR HIS TIP. I'm all about tipping but couldn't believe he put us on the spot for this.

We go to check in. We wait. And wait. Finally of course they tell us we are at the sister property Lady Hamilton. The good news is- it's an upgrade to the original resort. They tell us to take the shuttle.

So we walk back up front with our bags. We do this but the guy up front just tells us to walk. With ALL of our bags. Whatever. So we walk to the other resort and check in finally. Come to find out, our rooms- it's not two beds. It's one king bed and a sofa bed. We can get two beds but would have to change rooms on Friday. Not worth it. We will deal with the single king bed.

I ask if we can get wifi in the room. Of course the wifi is down and we can only access it from the lobby. Ok whatever again.

They gave us our keys and supposed paperwork to the property. We get to our rooms and have hope because they are nice. But by this time it's after 5pm. We have been up since 2:30am and just want snack bar food. We throw on our swimsuits and cover ups and have no idea where to go. No map in our paperwork they gave us.

So we wander around. Finally concierge (who was on the phone the whole time but finally put the phone aside to talk to us while still being on the phone) told us that the only place that didn't have a dress code was the sports bar.

We go to the sports bar and sit there for 20 mins and no one comes to wait on us. It is deathly hot, not open air but not air conditioned. We end up going to the bar to order drinks. The guy takes our order then leaves to bus tables. OK. So we wait. Finally get drinks and decide to just go back and change so we can have a proper dinner at a restaurant.

On our way to go change, we stop a resort employee to ask if there is any place to eat with no dress code other than the sports bar. He looks at us and says we are all dressed fine for the buffet. We just can't be fully exposed in our bathing suits. Great!

So we walk back to the buffet and they refuse to serve us bc of our attire. We tell them how bad our day has been and no one has told us where stuff is and no one waited on us at the sports bar yada yada. They basically say- sorry we're not sorry but we have a dress code.

So we went back to our rooms literally just to visibly take our bathing suits off just so we could eat at the buffet.

This is all just the first day. I had sent an email to my travel agent. We are hoping this is just Murphy's law and everything will be great tomorrow.

Thursday I received a note from my travel agent that they had contacted Apple - that night as we were getting ready for dinner, we received a call from the front desk. Did not know if it had anything to do with our complaint. They asked if there was anything they could do for us -- we told them we were getting ready for dinner but were not allowed to make reservations -- was there any way we could make a reservation? The person told us yes, they would go ahead and make a reservation for us so we didn't have to wait. Great! Then we told them about the wifi not working, and they said to just go to the front desk and they would take care of that also. Things were looking up!

We go to the front desk - they had no idea what we were talking about, but did go ahead and get us the wifi. We had to pay for it of course, which was fine, but just a little odd that the person who called us didn't give the front desk a heads up we were coming. Then when we go to the restaurant, same story - they had no idea about any kind of reservation. Told us reservations weren't allowed, and luckily the Mexican restaurant we wanted to eat at was almost empty anyway, so reservations didn't matter at that particular moment.

We sat down and the restaurant was only 1/3 full. Someone greeted us (not friendly, didn't even crack a smile) and then we just sat there. Took forever for our drink order to be taken and another 15 minutes or so after that for our dinner order to be taken. We were trying to make eye contact with our server to come take our order and she finally looked over at us and said "I'm coming." No apology, not anything, just she would get to us. It was honestly really awkward because we felt like we were imposing on her and we didn't want to act rude back and fuel her fire. So we just tried to smile through it. This whole dinner took one and a half hours. FOR MEXICAN. Can you imagine waiting that long to eat Mexican? It's a limited menu - like a catering menu - how on earth can it take that long? The food was good, but I'm not sure it was worth the wait nor the lack of service. Especially when the restaurant was not even busy.

This was basically the norm the entire trip - service was not friendly at all - we were so relieved/happy when a server would greet us with a smile. Or if we were able to get our drinks BEFORE we actually got our food.

We did the Chinese restaurant Friday night and our server was pleasant. He even cracked a joke when he came up to us, so we were immediately relaxed. But again, it just took way too long. It was almost 2 hours before we were out of there. It was the typical multi-course meal - for my appetizer, I ordered a spring roll. One spring roll. It took 20 minutes for that to come out. For one spring roll. Again, it was good, but gosh, not worth that long of wait.

Saturday we woke up to no working water. Could not use the faucet nor use the toilet. When we called the front desk, they just said that yes, they knew there was an issue. OK. The buffets were packed for breakfast as a result - I assume because no one could do anything in their rooms. And they ended up running out of glasses and mugs, so we finished our meals before we got anything to drink.

Saturday at the pool was really awful. They had a DJ and were doing live entertainment, which I could appreciate. But then they start a twerking contest, which results in resort staff and guests dry humping by the pool. I wish I got video. There were a few people literally laying on the ground next to the pool with people riding them. Multiple people riding them. Yet, I couldn't walk into a buffet at 5pm on the first day because you could see my bathing suit straps under my strapless dress?

We had "naptime" every day from 5-7pm where we took a nap and then got ready for dinner for the night. On Saturday during this time, we woke up to a knock at the door. I answered it half awake and a little confused and there was a man holding a plate. Obviously, I didn't order anything. He just hands it to me and says-- It's for you. It's a fruit plate.
OK thanks? Again, at this time, I'm not sure if this is their way of a peace offering. It would have been different if they acknowledged our complaint and offered their apologies, but no one ever did. No one ever said sorry. He just handed me the fruit plate, but we were sleeping, and the plate was too big to fit in the fridge, so I had to leave it out on the table. And did I mention our room had ants? Needless to say I kept the fruit as far away from the bed as possible.

Saturday night, we ate at the Italian restaurant and it was by far the best tasting meal of the whole trip. Great service as well, and we showed our appreciation for it with our tip. We did have to wait almost 45 minutes to get seated, but by the time we were seated, the food seemed to come out in a reasonable amount of time.

Sunday, we learned our lesson and decided to spend the day in a far corner of the pool, away from all the action and anything we may not want to witness. That worked better for us. Our two friends never got clean towels for their room though - they called the front desk and told the housekeeper, but never got any towels.

Sunday night we tried to go to the seafood restaurant for dinner. It's really frustrating that you cannot make reservations. It was 8pm when we got there and there were 15 tables ahead of us, one of which was a party of 37. I really hated that they didn't have set times you can eat. You're on vacation. The last thing you want to do is sit there and wait 2 hours for a meal just to wait another 2 hours to eat the meal! We tried the steak restaurant after, but it was the same story - 18 parties ahead of us. So we just ate at the buffet and made it an early night.

Monday we made our own fun and just enjoyed our beverages in our tucked away corner of the pool. We noticed in the middle of the day that our room had not been serviced, so we called to make sure it did. When we got back from the pool later that afternoon - they had serviced us, but didn't leave clean towels. They finally showed up at 11pm that night - but I guess it was worth getting woken up to clean towels, because our other two friends still never got theirs. They went two days in a row without clean towels. I also didn't mention that the shower leaks really bad. It's a poor design - and the resort knows this because there is a sign on the door that says to be sure to lay a bath mat outside the shower door. Water gets everywhere - outside of the shower and basically floods your bathroom floor. Definitely a slip hazard, so immediately, after a shower, once I dried off, my towel went on the floor because by this time, the bath mat was 100% soaked through. Unless you shower in the back 6" corner of the shower stall, water gets everywhere outside of the shower on the bathroom floor. I tell you this if you are wondering why we simply can't reuse our towels from the night before. If we could, we would. Our friends finally just ended up using the resort robes to dry off.

Monday night they call us one last time and this time acknowledge our unfavorable complaint and tell us we can come to the front desk at any time if we need anything. At this point, there's honestly nothing they can do. Unless they have a staff that follow us and wait on us wherever we eat, there's nothing to save us from the bad customer service at this point. We aren't even asking for a lot. Just a smile from anyone.

Tuesday morning is our last day. Our airport shuttle is scheduled for 11am. We get a call at 9am asking when we'd like to be picked up from our rooms to the lobby with all our bags. We tell them 10:30am. 10:30 comes, and we wait at the bottom of the stairs with our stuff. It's 10:35 and no one has showed up. We still need to go through the checkout process, so we just start walking with all our bags. We get up to the lobby and they ask what room we are coming from, so we tell them. We said someone was supposed to come pick us up but never showed up. They said they called us at 10:30 to see if we were ready, but since we didn't answer, they didn't come. WHAT? You called me to confirm at 9am. Why would you need to call back AGAIN an hour and a half later to triple confirm? And if we don't answer the phone, don't you think it may be possible that we could be waiting outside or in the lobby for you? What do you have to lose by driving yourself to us? He basically blamed it on us for not answering our phone. Just an awesome way to end the trip.

If you extract all of the customer service from this - what would I truly think of the resort? It was just ok. The rooms would have been fine, but the AC never could quite work. It was so hot and humid in our rooms it warped our passports, even just being in the safe. Plus the ants. I have noticed some ants in Mexico before, but they were worse here. We ended up just spraying the counter with hairspray and I wiped it down with an OFF wipe, and that seemed to help. Then they swarmed our toilet, so I had to spray that with hairspray as well.

The beach wasn't that great to be honest. It was too small and confined - there were no long strips of beach to walk on. We walked the resort every morning, and hoped to do so on the beach, but it wasn't possible. And it was hard and rocky.

We read the reviews of the Grand Palladium and they were so positive! I was blaming myself for not doing more research - that maybe we all agreed to the resort in haste. But the girls insisted that THEY had gone on trip advisor and looked around and read nothing but good reviews.

So, that's my long story. This was my 7th all inclusive vacation, and I can safely say, I won't be back to this one. We're really happy to be home. Unfortunately.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled with friends
4 Thank Caryl S
FiestaJamaica, Manager at Grand Palladium Lady Hamilton Resort & Spa, responded to this review, 2 May 2014
Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to let us know how your vacation was spent with us. Thank you for highlighting the high and low points of your stay, we will forward them to the respective departments.

Please be assured that comments like yours are helpful to us in evaluating our service, with a view to addressing issues. We would be grateful to host you again, to show you our usual warm hospitality and service standard, as the experience you had is not typical of our guests.

Jose Torres
F&B Director
Devon
Reviewed 29 April 2014

We stayed at the Grand Palladium Lady Hamilton from the 17th April for 11 nights and wish we had stayed longer.

Airport - when we arrived at the airport in Jamaica the queues were horrendous and not controlled very well at all - we had about 3 flights arrive around the same time - going through immigration etc was very easy!

Check-in - On arrival we had a nice glass of rum punch waiting for us (or just fruit cocktail) - check in was very fast indeed and reception staff very friendly. The bell boys take you and your luggage to the rooms in the little buggies that they drive around.

Rooms - We stayed in Villas 35 which was ideal as very close to everything! We stayed in a suite - was lovely! So clean, nice and cool and best of all....a hydro-massage bath!! We had 2 balcony's as it was a corner room - one large living room area and one large bedroom - the rooms are very spacious! Bathroom was big also, separate walk in shower which was ideal! And ladies....and some men....do not fear...they have hair dryers and they dry your hair very quick! Every room has a safety deposit box and a mini bar which is re-stocked daily (only with what you have used).

Food - There are 2 main big buffet restaurants, and Italian, Mexican, Steak House, Indian, Asian, Jamaican - the a la carte is first come first served...no reservations which can be a pain as you need to get there around 6:30 to guarantee a table - we tried a couple times around 7:30-8:00 and had a 10-15 table wait so we would advise if you want to eat in the a la carts that you arrive early. The food in in buffet restaurants was superb, I'm a vegetarian and don't eat meat and there was always something there! Although the food could be kept hotter as most of it is just warm. They keep things well topped up too and the waiters/waitresses were very friendly and keep you topped in water/beer etc through the meals. There is also a sports bar where they serve food pretty much all day! Lovely nachos and cheese that you can help yourself too anytime...oh and icecream!

Entertainment - The entertainment was fab - they work very hard to make sure the guests enjoy! The POP night (Saturday night) was the best show for us - although they are all good!

Trips - We went on the Splash of reggae, Southern adventure with a tipple and Beach chill out-ricks café! Would recommend all 3! Had a great time on all our trips - the only one that included lunch was the splash of reggae, personally I didn't like the food but my husband did!

Bars - all bars are brilliant and easy to get served - although a cocktail list would be fab on all of them as you don't know what your ordering - I was fine as I stuck to pina coladas and strawberry daiquiri....obviously with rum!

All in all we had an excellent holiday and would highly recommend to anyway...we will be back one day!!

Also please remember to save back 20 dollars per person to enable you to leave Jamaica! Also we were advised by Thomson to use Jamaican Dollars....I wouldn't recommend that - everything is in American Dollars every where you go...even on trips! So take American dollars :)

• Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
11 Thank Kelpy
Dear Kelpy Devon:

We have reviewed your comments and was very delighted to hear about the wonderful time you had while you were on vacation here with us at Grand Palladium Resort & Spa. We are even more delighted to know that our staff in particular made your vacation a fulfilled one.

We are happy to know that you enjoyed the overall facilities and in particular the food. We will share your comments with those you mentioned. We really appreciate the time you have taken to write to us and share your reviews as this will help us to improve our product and services.

Best wishes
Halifax, Canada
Reviewed 28 April 2014

Our family of five recently stayed at the Grand Palladium Lady Hamilton - April 12th - 26th. We have 3 children - ages 8, 5 and almost 3. We could not say enough about the service we received while at this resort. A special shout out to Shane, Garcia, Deneil, Faithlyn, and the hostesses at the Jamaican restaurant...to Neesha, Alexia, Paula and the hostesses at the buffet...Pedro at the Oriental...I know I am missing many people and I apologize but we have nothing but great things to say about the food and the service. To all of the cleaning team of building 27 - our cleaner was Sandra/Sharon - but all were very welcoming and helpful - thank you. We could not go to any shows because our kids were too tired by even the 830 show!!! But - my daughter and I enjoyed watching the dancers practice almost every day. They were more than welcoming to have a 3 year old watch them - even when she shouted their names and waved! They were so awesome to my little girl and to me - thank you to all of the dancers - Javier, JJ, Nordia, Rolando, Duran and all of the group for making us feel like it was ok to be at your rehearsals. The beaches were wonderful. We were a little skeptical because of some of the reviews but my husband and boys thoroughly enjoyed the snorkelling on both of the beaches. The resort also has a Raggs theme for kids - my kids did not watch Raggs but now love the characters! I heard the normal complaints from others and read the reviews - I don't think any place is ever going to meet everyone's expectations BUT this one certainly met ours. We have gone to all inclusives over a number of years with our kids and this was one that we loved. THANKS to the People of Palladium.

Room Tip: We loved building 27 - it was very close to the pools, beaches, restaurants and spa (which we unfort...
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled with family
3 Thank MacNeils2014
Dear MacNeils2014:

It is indeed a pleasure reading your reviews on the wonderful time you had while you were on vacation here with us at Grand Palladium Resort & Spa. We have also taken careful note of the staff you mentioned and we will definitely share your comments with them.

We are extremely happy that we were able to exceed your expectations and the service to our guests can only get better. Thank you for taking the time to write to us and share your reviews as this will help us to improve our product and services.

Reviewed 28 April 2014

We stayed here in March for our honeymoon and were so pleased with the whole resort - its beautiful, the staff are great and the food amazing!

We normally eat at the buffet for breakfast then one of the al-a-carte restaurants in the evening (Creole restaurant was amazing!). The only restaurant that I wouldn't go back to was the Indian, it wasn't bad but it just wasn't up to the standard of the others.

Pools are lovely, loads of sunbeds, however the adult pool does get busy early on.

Room was brilliant! Huge bed, always clean and the maid made special effort with the decoration in the room every day. Shower is the best ever!

Only downside is that the wi-fi in the rooms is too expensive - I wouldn't pay the money for it.

I would recommend the hotel to anyone!

Room Tip: Lady Hamilton side is close to everything - any block here is fine.
  • Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple
3 Thank Mas L
FiestaJamaica, Manager at Grand Palladium Lady Hamilton Resort & Spa, responded to this review, 16 May 2014
Dear Mas L:

We have read your reviews and would like to thank you for taking the time to share your feedback with us. We were very delighted to hear about the wonderful time you had while you were on your honeymoon here with us at Grand Palladium Resort & Spa.

We have taken careful note of your comments and we will certainly share your reviews with our team.

Best wishes
Reviewed 27 April 2014

Excellent resort. Food was great, lots to choose from. Many different buffets and a-la-carte restaurants. Main Pool is huge!.Adult pool is nice if you want a break from the crowd at the larger pools. Lots of activities to do. Access to food almost 24hrs a day. Most of the staff was very polite and helpful. Very private resort which was nice. Private beaches. No hecklers on the beach. Only downfall I felt was seeing how the resort was so nice and private, you sacrificed being close to town. But if you do want to go into town. (Negril or Mo Bay) ask for Cecile. Awesome guy. he was our driver into Negril for my brothers Bachelor party. Showed us an awesome time. He later came back by the resort later to drop off a wedding present to my brother. Will definitely return to this resort.

Room Tip: Good footwear, since the resort is so big. and most of all..... ASK FOR CECILE when doing a trip int...
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled with friends
6 Thank Matt G
Dear Matt G:

We have read your reviews and would like to thank you for taking the time to share your feedback with us. We were very delighted to hear about the wonderful time you had while you were on vacation here with us at Grand Palladium Resort & Spa.

We really appreciate the time you have taken to write to us and share your reviews as this will help us to improve our product and services. We will share with our staff your comments regarding your stay.

Warm Regards,
Also consider these accommodations in or near Lucea
Grand Palladium Jamaica Resort & Spa
#1 of 1 in Ironshore
3.5 of 5 bubbles 5,920 reviews
Iberostar Rose Hall Beach Hotel
Secrets Wild Orchid Montego Bay

Been to Grand Palladium Lady Hamilton Resort & Spa? Share your experiences!