“Horrible Vacation - Below Average at Best”

Grand Palladium Lady Hamilton Resort & Spa
Ranked #1 of 3 Hotels in Lucea
Monmouth Junction, New Jersey
“Horrible Vacation - Below Average at Best”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 June 2014

After spending hours of researching resort destinations, we booked at the Grand Palladium Lady Hamilton. This was the most miserable trip that I have been on in my life. This was not an inexpensive trip, however; I have been on many All-Inclusive trips and expected to receive what I paid for. The accommodations are outdated and run down. The first day that we arrived and were assigned a room, we went there to find that there was no air (all night). We reported it and it was not addressed until the next morning. The same night the bathroom shower flooded, the sink backed up as well, I asked for a refrigerator because my finance' is on insulin that needed to stay in the refrigerator and the refrigerator in this room did not work at all. We opted to get ice from the ice machine to keep the meds. cold, but the ice machine was not working. There was suppose to be beverages in the refrigerator and nothing was there, not even bottled water. There was a toilet brush in the bathroom with feces all over it.

After making many complaints known to the front desk and guest relations, we were told that we would be moved the next day. We waited all day for a room. I called 9 times to ask if there was a room ready and was told that they would contact us. I made one final call at 2:15 pm and was told that there was a room ready finally.

We were there for only 4 days and spent one with all the problems above and the 2nd waiting for a room. Which when we finally received it, again, no beverages in the refrigerator (which is the "mini-bar"), not even water until that night after calling 11 times. I even volunteered to go and get it myself it they told me where to find it. In addition, in the 2nd room we attempted to use the Jacuzzi which was filthy! After I cleaned it and ran water, it backed-up with black soot and grime. I called to see if it could be fixed and their way of repairing it was by removing the stopper (not sure how one is supposed to contain water in the Jacuzzi if there is no stopper).

There were cracks, holes and broken pieces of ceramic throughout the property, including our room, the steps and grounds. In fact, I slipped on the broken step leaving our room, but thank God I did not get hurt. There was no elevator to rooms on levels higher than the ground. This was very upsetting to me since I wrote to a Guest Relations Representative there prior to our arrival and explained that we needed a refrigerator for the meds and that my finance' is in need of a hip replacement, and could not do a lot of walking. We ended up on the 2nd floor, which is not typical of a 2nd floor here in the states (all concrete there).

The accommodations at this resort are not in anyway acceptable for guests. I feel ripped-off, I had a miserable time and most of all, I disappointed my finance' by trusting the resort and for a pleasurable experience. I advised the resort prior to my arrival that I would be visiting the resort as an option for a wedding there in October. Things went so bad that now my finance' does not want to have a wedding at all. I cried to Guest Relations and explained the grief that they caused us, even after we arrived home.

What a horrible trip and disappointment! I contacted the resort with my complaints, as well as social media vehicles, the American Society of Travel Agents and the World Travel & Tourism Council.

Please, please, please do not fall for the photos. Don't waste your money. Go to Secrets Resorts. They will show you how it's done. Unless you like below average.

Very Unhappy Guest

• Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Jane D

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,357)
  • Polish first
Chorley, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 June 2014

Having come back today from a two week break at the Grand Palladium Lady Hamilton, i have mixed feelings but on the main good. It was our third trip to Jamaica having previously visited the Riu Tropical in Negril. We travelled with a baby and a three year old.

Good Points - Pool - lovely and big, and the pool boys keep on top of keeping it clean. Nice to place to relax, drink or do activities.

Food - Breakfast and evening meals in the restaurants are mainly very good standard. My only gripe was running out of various foods. The Al la carte restaurants stick to long pant dress code for men regardless of the fact that the air con didn't work during most of our stay. If Fixed your meal will be enjoyable. The waiters and bar staff seem really friendly.

Things to do - The hotel grounds are vast we enjoyed the mini golf, football, archery, basketball, waking to the sunset or cove beach. Swimming in the sea, playing outdoor chess to name a few.

Staff - If the management read this there are some gems amongst the staff here, who made our staff so much more, a lady in the Xaymaican restaurant pushed our baby around whilst we ate dinner and Priscilla who seemed to serve drinks at everybar was really friendly. Foxxi & Sunshine amongst the entertainment team fussed over the children in such a nice way.

Negatives - Standard of rooms are not as good as others ive stayed at with a main problem being a severe lack of drawer space and at times a damp feeling on sheets (i put that down to humidity).

Thomson Rep & Thomson Choice of trips - Didn't find the rep that useful and when i asked about the excursions i felt i was lied to. A trip to Dunns River took 2.5 hours due to four pick ups when she CATERGORICALLY said it was direct.

Overall we enjoyed the stay and when we return to Jamaica in the future it is likely to be back at the Grand Palladium Lucea

• Stayed May 2014, travelled with family
5 Thank Gareth H
FiestaJamaica, Manager at Grand Palladium Lady Hamilton Resort & Spa, responded to this review, 19 June 2014
Dear Gareth H:

We have read your reviews and appreciate the time you have taken to write and share your experience with us. Most importantly we are happy to know that our staff contributed in making your vacation a memorable one.

However, while we strive for a perfect vacation we regret any inconvenience that may have occurred during your stay.

Once again, thank you for sharing your reviews and we look forward to hosting you on your next vacation in the near future.

Bicester, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 June 2014

Stayed here 19th May for 2weeks as it had been recommended by someone who went 2 years ago. On arrival the entrance still looks as beautiful but when you've been here a few days you notice how lazy some of the staff are they do not clean or pick up glasses instead they chat on there phones around the grounds loitering about. Maintenance is also shocking they took the treads off the steps to our room in block 33 on one afternoon and just left them off until the next day also at the adult pool the staff stepped over a Palm branch rather than move it so we moved it in the end. I think this hotel could be great again but the manager needs to get a grip of its staff .

Room Tip: We were in 33 which overlooked the adult pool which was very central to everything
4 Thank theresa b
Dear Theresa B:

We have read your reviews and was happy to know that you had a great time while you were on vacation here with us at Grand Palladium Resort & Spa. We have also taken careful note of your comments and this will be shared with our staff.

We really appreciate the time you have taken to write to us and share your reviews as this will help us to improve our product and services.

We hope you will not be deterred from doing business with us. We were extremely happy to have served you and we look forward to your return visit so we can make it another grand vacation experience.

Montreal, Canada
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 June 2014

The resort is way to big thefore fels very impersonal. The air condiitoning in the room was weak, there was barely and running cold water in the bathroom sink. We called to have it looked at but no one ever came.
The staff is very friendly and the food is amazing.
One night during a wedding, I sat on the edge of the main pool (Did not go into the pool) 5 mins later I felt an intense burning on my bum, long story short I recieved extreme chemical burns on my backside and was in pain the remainder of the trip. I had to go to the medical center for treament however it didn't provide much relief. Lost money on an excursion because I wasn't able to sit without extreme pain. The hotel has yet to respond/acknowledge my injury. I filed 2 incident reports and was told I would be contacted but I'm still waiting. I was also suppose to be informed by head of security what chemicals were used, still waiting for an answer. If I would have touched my eyes,I would for sure be blind. When people see the pics they are appalled, and for sure according to the hotel nurse I will have scars.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Dani3236
Kilmarnock, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 June 2014

we have just returned from 2 weeks and generally thought it was ok. There are however some issues which the staff need to sort out.
Room was in block 35 and was ideal. The room had all the usual bits and pieces but only 2 beers ! in the mini bar- they were having a laugh. Housekeeping was a hit and a miss- either room was done at 9.30am or 4.30pm. Not much good when its the rainy season and you have been washed off the beach at lunchtime.
We only used the buffet which was adequate, not a lot of choice at times and not always the warmest food.
Bar- the brochure completely leads you astray with how many by including all pool bars. The infinity bar is large and really the only proper bar. Miss Lus is really a coffee bar, and the Sports Bar is best avoided unless you are a 20 something American wearing a baseball cap and a vest!

If you are travelling with Thomson's /First Choice avoid their trips- they are over priced and under value. You can use the travel shop in the resort or the reps there for better value. The hotel is away from anything and everything takes 1-2 hours at least to get there. The rep told us they you did not have to reserve for the speciality restaurants and it was just turn up- you need to be there before at least 6 and be prepared to wait and as they are queued out. They kept on closing one or other while we were there to allow wedding receptions to take place..
I believe that management from the Spanish Parent company are at the hotel at the moment trying to improve standards. It is not he standard of other palladiums that I have stayed at
Staff always speak and really friendly . There is the usual issue with bar staff re serve if you are not tipping and waitresses will avoid your table if you haven't .
Jamaica has a drug history so be prepared for tourists walking about reception with joints spaced out and staff not bothering thinking is just a laugh..

After all that would I go back ? yes.. but once management take it up to proper 5 star standards as at the moment it isn't..

2 Thank j0hnfrances1
Dear Johnfrances1:

We have read your reviews and was very delighted to know that you had a great time while you were here on vacation with us. We truly appreciate the time you have taken to share you experience with us. However, we have taken careful note of your comments regarding the service from our staff and also your dissatisfaction with some areas of the facility.

We have since then shared your reviews with our heads of department and rest assured that your concerns will be addressed.

Again, we appreciate your feedback and we look forward to hosting you on your next vacation.

cumbria
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 June 2014

,stayed here from 25th may to 8th june 2014.Check in was an absolute shambles,took us 1hour and 40 minutes just to get to the check in desk,nobody seemed to know what they were doing,6staff on the desk and only two had any idea as the other four kept asking them for something.Upon reaching check in and dealing with all the details,we were asked if we could go and have a drink or dinner as our room wasn't ready,this is after we had been travelling for about 14 hours,standing in a queue for 1.40 mins in the hottest part of the day in the reception area which is not air conditioned and very humid.The room we got was no 1404 which as rooms go was really quite nice,clean spacious, massive bed,but starting to look a little worn.The bars are really not what I would expect from an hotel of this supposed standard,the infinity bar is the best but the staff tend to look after the dollar tipping guests.The sports bar(now theres a joke) has several pool tables tv tuned to basketball and stinks of food being cooked,not a place to have a good evening.The bar in the entertainment area is a waste of space and very shabby and ill lit.Food in the main dining room was always lukewarm but there was something for everybody.The a la carte dining was fairly goog but a little on the slow side but we weren't in any hurry.The entertainment at night consists of where are you from,childish games,eg bring me a bra or a shirt etc and a dancing troupe,which lasts about an hour though it seems much longer we only went twice which was once too many.The pool is magnificent clean well looked after.The beach is very rocky, wear shoes to go in the water.Trips out take a long time because nearly everything to visit is over two hours away,so a bus journey of two hours each way is to be expected,All in all its not a very bad resort though it is gigantic in size and takes time to find your way around.

Dundas
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 June 2014

Wow where do I start. Our trip was 2 weeks, which consisted of a wedding and family vacation for the first week. Our 2nd week was our honeymoon. Every aspect of our trip was fantastic. I can not say enough good things about this resort. Everything from all services we received were excellent. The wedding took place on the beach, our wedding co-ordinator was fabulous, the attention to detail and her caring spirit, made our day. The grounds were beautiful for picture taking. Our wedding dinner at the Riggitoni reastraunt was excellent, from the kitchen staff and our great waiters, a big thank you for making our day special. Our house keeper and gardner, thank you for the extra care and attention, and we enjoyed or fresh coconuts every morning. The entire staff were fabulous. We reading some reviews, I just don't understand the negativity. I know from personal experience, their are people you will never make happy. My advise to anybody traveling here......treat these folks with the respect they deserve, you will be treated like royalty and make some great new friends. Thank you Grand Palladium Lady Hamilton, for making our wedding day and family vacation and honeymoon, a truly great memory. To the staff, our personal Thank you

Room Tip: Villas 28 and 29 are central to everything will great veiws
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled with family
4 Thank Mitch K
Dear MItch K:

Thank you for sharing your reviews with us. We are extremely happy to know that you had such a wonderful time and most of all your very special day went flawless. We will certainly share your comments with our staff in particular our wedding department.

We do emphasize excellent customer service and we provide all the necessary training to ensure that all our guests a completely satisfied.

Again, thanks for sharing all these positive reviews and It was our greatest pleasure to serve you. We look forward to hosting you on your anniversary.

Best wishes
Also consider these accommodations in or near Lucea
Grand Palladium Jamaica Resort & Spa
#1 of 1 in Ironshore
3.5 of 5 bubbles 5,843 reviews
Iberostar Rose Hall Beach Hotel
Secrets Wild Orchid Montego Bay

Been to Grand Palladium Lady Hamilton Resort & Spa? Share your experiences!