“Nice place, but inconsistent service”

Grand Palladium Lady Hamilton Resort & Spa
Ranked #1 of 3 Hotels in Lucea
Reviewed 18 June 2014

My husband and I traveled there for 6 days in early June with another couple, so adults only this time. We are in our early 30s and thought the resort sounded great for us. We read mixed reviews before arriving, but we are all pretty easy to please people, so we figured we'd just go with the flow. Each other's company was the best part of the trip, but here's how the Grand Palladium Lady Hamilton faired: Now that we've been there, I do not regret my trip since I had fun, but will not be returning to Jamaica. Vacations are always a learning experience about what you like. Here is my straight forward review...

Pros:
-Pool was beautiful and had plenty of space available always. We never had to reserve beach chairs or even wait for the built in chairs in the pool.
- Our room was beautiful and got cooler than I've experienced at other resorts. We slept VERY well. We also enjoyed our big tub. We tipped the maid $5 per day and she did a nice job and left us extra water when we asked for it.
- Layout of the resort. I like big resorts where I don't feel enclosed, since we don't leave it much. There were a lot of options of places to hang out, have drinks, or get food, depending on our mood. Most of the resort is pretty and well taken care of, but it's SO BIG that some places are run down.
- Food. Our favorite as a group surprised us and was the Indian restaurant. We only had one day there was a wait for a restaurant, so we just ate at the buffet instead for dinner. Otherwise, we all found food we enjoyed with different palates at the nice restaurants and buffets.
- A few of the waiters... we had exceptional service at some of the restaurants. Some of them were SO good, it's too bad that some were the exact opposite, which brings me to cons.

Cons:
- Rudeness from a few of the staff. I have always gotten to know the staff of resorts when I go and get to know some by name and are sad to leave them, but we were turned off by a few that were rude, which made me cautious with the staff in general. I felt like I was never sure whether I was going to get someone who was helpful and appreciated our business there, or whether I was bothering them by asking them to make a drink or get me change. I'm okay with staff that just act indifferent... not everyone has to be in a great mood at work all the time, but there were a few that were just rude and that was the worst part of the vacation. One sniped at me for ordering the same drink shortly after my husband because we should've "ordered them together". Another threw his hands up in the air and gave us the "are you an idiot?" look when we didn't understand him right away. He wasn't even busy and then took a long time to make our drinks. Etc, etc. No one flat out disrespected us, but just gave us attitude like we annoyed them for ordering a drink or something. We ALWAYS tipped in the beginning of the trip, even though most people don't there, and it's not like we were wanting better service. We tipped because we think they deserve it. But by the end, we stopped tipping "just because" and only tipped when people were deserving. The staff that helped us with using the kayaking were also hit and miss... one rude, one nice. The rude one yelled at the people in front of us to not take too long and then let someone he was chummy with butt in line in front of our friends.
- Jamaica is not for us. We had some rude drivers (counting tips before he opened the compartment to get our luggage out at the airport, scary driving, etc.). The catamaran trip to Margaritaville in Montego Bay was underwhelming. Margaritaville was overpriced and margaritas were not good and the atmosphere was fake and uncomfortable. Bad choice on our part. Snorkeling and catamaran ride were not as beautiful as one I had in the Dominican. It's pretty there in Lucea/ Montego Bay, but I prefer Dominican or Mexico in terms of the people and scenery.
- Drinks. I like beer, wine, or mixed drinks, so I'm not picky. It took awhile to realize from our whole group, though, that the reason we did not care for most of the mixed drinks was that most are made with the dark rum they make in Jamaica. We switched over to other things, but it narrowed down our choices quite a bit. I eventually got sick of Red Stripe and the basic red or white wine. I ordered the white rum when I could, but the bartenders didn't seem to like it and often didn't have it.

Hope it helps. We seriously doubted a lot of the Trip Advisor reviews before we left, thinking some people are just picky. Now that I've been there, some reviews seem valid and some don't. I guess it really depends on your personal experience and what you value. Again, I don't regret going, but would never return to that resort or Jamaica based on that one experience.

Room Tip: Villa 34 (3413) was a great location for us on the Lady Hamilton side. It was not too close to the...
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled with friends
3  Thank krismac15
FiestaJamaica, Manager at Grand Palladium Lady Hamilton Resort & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded 21 June 2014

Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to let us know how your vacation was spent with us. Thank you for highlighting the high and low points of your stay, we will forward them to the respective departments.

We would love to have the opportunity to host you again an exceed your expectations this time.

Reviewed 18 June 2014 via mobile

I never ever write reviews because I'm usually pretty easy to impress. We stayed there last week and it was the worst experience ever. Definitely not a four star resort. The resort itself is beautiful but the staff is the rudest I have ever seen... They act like they are doing you a favor and huff and puff if you ask them for anything. The lady hamilton restaurants (only offered during dinner) have lines out the door and they do not even turn on the air conditioner... They also expect the men to wear long pants and dress shirts!!! It's sooo hot in there you don't even feel like eating. The breakfast and lunch is buffet only and it's terrible!!!! We had to wait to eat at the buffet because they allow all of the employees to eat there as well. I think this is sooo unprofessional especially when paying guests are waiting. It just feels like the staff is taking over and running the place and there is no management. Do not ever go here especially with kids!!! It is sad because the resort is beautiful .... They have these transport vehicles with employees driving around and they honk at you if you are walking to your room and in there way!!! Only staff I loved are the entertainment team... But they don't have much to work with and do their best!!! DO NOT BOOK THIS PLACE... Go somewhere where there is a little respect from the employees. Also, they never changed my sheets. Just kept making the bed with the same sheets. We paid for the upgrade to two room suite... Not worth it!!!

• Stayed: June 2014
2  Thank kay P

Dear guest,

Thank you for sharing your comments about your experience with us. I am sorry for the situations you have encountered.

Regarding the dress code in the “a la carte” long pants are required, despite this short pants are allowed in the Italian and Indian restaurants. In the buffets our guest can wear shorts or Bermuda and T-shirts. It’s true that last week we had some inconveniences with the a/c in the restaurants, however they have been solved.

We are sorry to know you felt bad attitude from some our staff as we are constantly training them. For your information our Human Resources department is focused on monthly customer service training programs in order to be able to exceed our guest expectations. Sorry if some of the employees you meet were not as friendly as the rest of the staff.

It is hoped that despite those negative issues, you can give us another opportunity to serve you and show you our usual flawless service. We look forward to welcoming you back soon.

Reviewed 18 June 2014

My Fiance and I stayed here June 7th through 12th 2014- The resort is huuuge the staff is super friendly my room was very comfortable ac works with the sliding door many people aren't aware and thinks its faulty but its not its actually a very brainy idea if you ask me conserves electricity - room was cleaned every day fresh towels provided extra pillows in closet fridge restocked constantly upon request - when I got there I didn't approve of my view I wanted more ocean they found me 3 other rooms to choose from bell boy drove me around to each one saw in me in and made sure I was happy with it - food although in small portions with the exceptions of the buffets was very tasty drinks were good -beaches and pool areas immaculate -we were totally relaxed - shows were a nice fresh way to just lay back and listen to nice music and enjoy the local talent - this place is absolutely beautiful and I would definitely go back hopefully soon ;)

3  Thank VeroniCa S
FiestaJamaica, Manager at Grand Palladium Lady Hamilton Resort & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded 19 June 2014

Dear Veronica S:

We have read your reviews and was very delighted to know that you had a great time while you were here on vacation with us. We truly appreciate the time you have taken to share you experience with us.

It was our pleasure catering to your personal liking and was happy that you were satisfied with the service offered.

Again, we appreciate your feedback and we look forward to hosting you on your next vacation.

Best regards,

Reviewed 17 June 2014

20 of us went 26th may 2014, as my daughter got married here, she took a chance and planned a 4pm wedding knowing that there are usually storms at that time, at 3 pm the wedding planner decided to hold the ceremony inside, absolutely brilliant never ruined a thing, all the restaurants are lovely although all service is on Jamaican time! But who's in a hurry? Plenty of sun beds, lovely and clean, we went with thomsons and our rep couldn't be more helpful, we did loads of trips but my favourite was boat down Martha brae river, it was heaven..don't miss the Sunday night entertainment we couldn't stop laughing, we had a great time Thank you Jamaican ......Bev, Kayleigh, Shane and family

Room Tip: We stayed in villa 29 right next to adult pool and central with everything
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank Bev T

Dear Bev T:

It is indeed a pleasure reading your reviews on the wonderful time you had while you were on vacation here with us at Grand Palladium Resort & Spa.

We really appreciate the time you have taken to write to us and share your reviews as this will help us to improve our product and services.

We were extremely happy to have served you and we look forward to your return visit so we can make it another grand vacation experience.

Warm regards,

Reviewed 17 June 2014

Our visit there was June 12th to the 15th. Thank God it was a short trip. The resort was huge.Room was nice (1 bedroom suite).AC did not work properly. Got warm in the middle of the night. Resort is big so a lot of walking to get around.They have very limited food and what is out is either cold or been sitting there too long. Staff were not helpful unless you were tipping. Always have to ask twice to get any kind of help or response. This resort seems to cater to the Timeshare patriots. They must have different wristbands to know the difference. No air conditioning in the restaurants/Sports Bar/Lou's Bar. For an all inclusive resort, food is not available 24/7. Sometimes you felt as if the staff was avoiding or ignoring you. when you need or want something they were either out or malfunctioning. No one to walk around the beach or pool area to refill drinks or take any kind of orders. This is what I have experienced and expected at an all inclusive resort. Total fail here. Only visited this resort because I was there to attend a wedding. PS: A friend that traveled with us almost swallowed a piece of glass that was in her wine glass and they gave her a free dinner. LOL!!! It's an all inclusive resort :)

1  Thank Ladyj1765

Dear guest,

Thank you for taking the time to let us know how your vacation was spent with us. We are sorry to know that we didn’t meet your expectations.

Sorry but we don’t share your opinion about the limited food, with 2 buffets offering different theme nights daily, and 7 a la carte restaurants we want to believe that there is adequate variety for everyone.

Regarding the A/C in the restaurants, for your information we already took the necessary steps to correct the matter and this situation is already improved.

Yes we do offer 24/7 food & drinks after the Sports Bar finish at 07.00 am we offer a continental breakfast at the Infinity terrace until 10.00 am

We apologize for your negative impression of our staff, just let me add that our staff is continuously congratulated on their work by many customers… However we will certainly be looking into the observations which you have made with a view to taking corrective action.
We look forward to having you again in any of the Palladium Resorts and that we have the opportunity to exceed your expectations.

Reviewed 16 June 2014

We were there from June 5th to the 12th as a couple.

Room was nice (1 bedroom suite), I've noticed on other reviews some rooms the AC did not work, in ours it did. Also be prepared to see little lizards in your room, we had one.

As this resort is big, be prepared to do a lot of walking. They also have golf carts with chauffeurs.

Check-in was quick, they took us to our room right away, our key did not work for the 1st day but by the second day maintenance came around and fixed it, don't leave your "Do not Disturb" sign in the key slot as the people before us in our room is what they did and a little piece of paper got stuck and the key did not work, put your sign on the door handle instead.

The beaches are just average, but the adults only beach was far better and clothing is optional.

Food was very good at the à la carte restaurants but try to avoid the buffets for dinner if you can. They have very limited food and what is out is either cold or been sitting there too long. The dessert table consisted of only 3 different kinds of desserts.

For the à la carte restaurants they do accept reservations which is what we did every evening. The Italian, the Seafood and Indian are on terraces so men are allowed to wear shorts as long as they're not beach shorts. For the other restaurants as they are inside men do have to wear long pants.

The staff is a hit and miss, some of them are happy to serve you some others are couldn't care less.

A lot of security surrounds the resort, we've been to different resorts and security has never been this tight.

All in all we had a great week as your holiday is what you make of it but I will return to this resort and will not recommend it as well.

2  Thank hotmama41

Dear Guest,

Just to mention that we offer 8 to 10 different types of desserts along with 5 to 7 different fruits depending on the season. Also we offer specialties like crepes on the French night, Churros in the Mexican, etc..

Please be assured that comments like yours are helpful to us in evaluating our service, with a view to addressing issues. We would be grateful to host you again, to show you our usual warm hospitality and service standard, as the experience you had is not typical of our guests.

Reviewed 16 June 2014 via mobile

Just spent 18 days at grand palladium with couple friends at had an amazing time! Despite a few room malfunctions the resort is an amazing spot. I stay at this resort every six months and absolutely love it. Beautiful scenery and the beach is fantastic. The food and service is great , hard to get into restaurants without reservations. The staff are so nice and friendly. The entertainment team make the trip enjoyable, all so friendly and fun! All the games and dancing in the daytime, more drinking games should be added to daytime activities by the pool tho. Also the staff should be aloud in disco at night they get ppl up dancing and make the energy so much better and fun. All together my trip was fantastic and will be returning in October .

Stayed: June 2014, travelled with friends
2  Thank Stacie026

Dear Stacie026:

Thank you for sharing your experience with us. We are truly happy to know that your vacation experience met your expectations.

Your comments were shared with our team as this is one of the ways we grow, improve and motivate our staff to continue to strive for excellence.

Again, thank you for choosing Grand Palladium as your resort for a great vacation and we look forward to hosting you as one of our repeated customers.

Best regards,

Also consider these accommodations in or near Lucea
Hilton Rose Hall Resort & Spa
Hyatt Ziva Rose Hall
Hyatt Ziva Rose Hall
#3 of 6 in Rose Hall
Holiday Inn Resort Montego Bay

Been to Grand Palladium Lady Hamilton Resort & Spa? Share your experiences!