My husband and I traveled there for 6 days in early June with another couple, so adults only this time. We are in our early 30s and thought the resort sounded great for us. We read mixed reviews before arriving, but we are all pretty easy to please people, so we figured we'd just go with the flow. Each other's company was the best part of the trip, but here's how the Grand Palladium Lady Hamilton faired: Now that we've been there, I do not regret my trip since I had fun, but will not be returning to Jamaica. Vacations are always a learning experience about what you like. Here is my straight forward review...
-Pool was beautiful and had plenty of space available always. We never had to reserve beach chairs or even wait for the built in chairs in the pool.
- Our room was beautiful and got cooler than I've experienced at other resorts. We slept VERY well. We also enjoyed our big tub. We tipped the maid $5 per day and she did a nice job and left us extra water when we asked for it.
- Layout of the resort. I like big resorts where I don't feel enclosed, since we don't leave it much. There were a lot of options of places to hang out, have drinks, or get food, depending on our mood. Most of the resort is pretty and well taken care of, but it's SO BIG that some places are run down.
- Food. Our favorite as a group surprised us and was the Indian restaurant. We only had one day there was a wait for a restaurant, so we just ate at the buffet instead for dinner. Otherwise, we all found food we enjoyed with different palates at the nice restaurants and buffets.
- A few of the waiters... we had exceptional service at some of the restaurants. Some of them were SO good, it's too bad that some were the exact opposite, which brings me to cons.
- Rudeness from a few of the staff. I have always gotten to know the staff of resorts when I go and get to know some by name and are sad to leave them, but we were turned off by a few that were rude, which made me cautious with the staff in general. I felt like I was never sure whether I was going to get someone who was helpful and appreciated our business there, or whether I was bothering them by asking them to make a drink or get me change. I'm okay with staff that just act indifferent... not everyone has to be in a great mood at work all the time, but there were a few that were just rude and that was the worst part of the vacation. One sniped at me for ordering the same drink shortly after my husband because we should've "ordered them together". Another threw his hands up in the air and gave us the "are you an idiot?" look when we didn't understand him right away. He wasn't even busy and then took a long time to make our drinks. Etc, etc. No one flat out disrespected us, but just gave us attitude like we annoyed them for ordering a drink or something. We ALWAYS tipped in the beginning of the trip, even though most people don't there, and it's not like we were wanting better service. We tipped because we think they deserve it. But by the end, we stopped tipping "just because" and only tipped when people were deserving. The staff that helped us with using the kayaking were also hit and miss... one rude, one nice. The rude one yelled at the people in front of us to not take too long and then let someone he was chummy with butt in line in front of our friends.
- Jamaica is not for us. We had some rude drivers (counting tips before he opened the compartment to get our luggage out at the airport, scary driving, etc.). The catamaran trip to Margaritaville in Montego Bay was underwhelming. Margaritaville was overpriced and margaritas were not good and the atmosphere was fake and uncomfortable. Bad choice on our part. Snorkeling and catamaran ride were not as beautiful as one I had in the Dominican. It's pretty there in Lucea/ Montego Bay, but I prefer Dominican or Mexico in terms of the people and scenery.
- Drinks. I like beer, wine, or mixed drinks, so I'm not picky. It took awhile to realize from our whole group, though, that the reason we did not care for most of the mixed drinks was that most are made with the dark rum they make in Jamaica. We switched over to other things, but it narrowed down our choices quite a bit. I eventually got sick of Red Stripe and the basic red or white wine. I ordered the white rum when I could, but the bartenders didn't seem to like it and often didn't have it.
Hope it helps. We seriously doubted a lot of the Trip Advisor reviews before we left, thinking some people are just picky. Now that I've been there, some reviews seem valid and some don't. I guess it really depends on your personal experience and what you value. Again, I don't regret going, but would never return to that resort or Jamaica based on that one experience.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- The resort is bathed by the calm turquoise waters of Jamaica's north coast, in a small bay on a privileged enclave on the coast. The design is a perfect harmony between modernand luxurious facilities of a first class hotel and the attractive natural environment of the area characterized by the turquoise sea and the relief of the landscape. The complexalso houses an ultramodern Spa, which is equipped with the most advanced facilities and offers guests a wide variety of therapies and services. Near the village of Lucea and approximately 30 minutes from Montego Bay and its airport. Within the complex is theGrand Palladium Jamaica Resort & Spa has a total of 540 guestrooms in 15 villas ofthree levels with 6 Suites and 30 Junior Suites per villa. The Grand Palladium Lady Hamilton Resort & Spa has a total of 516 rooms distributed in 13 villas of three levels with 6 suites and 30 Junior Suites per villa and 48 two-story cabins with 4 cabins suites (adults only) each. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Expedia, Hotels.com, Odigeo, TripOnline SA, HotelsClick, Ebookers, Cancelon, Evoline ltd, 5viajes2012 S.L. and getaroom.com so you can book your Grand Palladium Lady Hamilton Resort & Spa reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Grand Palladium Lady Hamilton Resort And Spa
- Grand Palladium Lady Hamilton Hotel Lucea
- Grand Palladium Lady Hamilton Resort & Spa Jamaica/Lucea