“Unforgettable”

Grand Palladium Lady Hamilton Resort & Spa
Ranked #1 of 3 Hotels in Lucea
Reviewed 8 August 2014

My husband and I stayed at the grand palladium lady hamilton from 20/7-3/8. From the moment we arrived everything was wonderful. We were greeted at reception by Ingrid who had had correspondence with my husband prior to arrival; just to say hello! How nice that was. Our room was fantastic 3230. Top floor with views of the sea and both coral beach and sunset cove. It had a living room and a bedroom both had their own individually controlled air conditioning and their own TV sets. The bathroom was huge and the jacuzzi bath a lovely addition.

I had worried prior to arrival due to all of the negative reviews about the cleanliness of the hotel and I had contacted thomsons to enquire about changing. Thomsons assured me they would not send guests to hotels that were not of a good standard. However, based on the information I had read before hand I decided that if a few items bought at home would alleviate problems then I would take them with me. I brought with me a can of bug spray, fabreeze air fresher and 2 damp traps. I placed 1 trap in the wardrobe to hopefully avoid damp clothes and the other in the bedroom. I sprayed insect spray the instant I arrived and placed air freshners around the room (all bought from £1 land so well worth a fiver) The traps did collect water and I had only one occasion when my clothes felt damp, we never saw a bug but I don't think that was down to spraying as after the first spray I forgot about it for the remainder of the holiday. The fabreeze, to be fair was only needed on one occasion and this was an occasion when both air conditioning units were on so i understood the SLIGHT smell of damp when we walked into our room. Speaking of the airconditiong, ours worked great. So good that it was turned off in the bedroom at night!

Sharon, our cleaner was fantastic, our room always cleaned, towels always in abundance and always a smile and hello when we passed her on the stairs.

The fridge was stocked daily and kept everything cool enough.

The hotel is very impressive and all staff we encountered were very friendly. The pool areas were clean and the only exception to this was first thing on the odd morning when cups and food were around sun beds. This was quickly cleaned by staff without having to ask. Therefore I don't believe it to be fair to say areas are not clean but I would emphasis that it is guests who left it the previous night. The only negative thing I would say about the hotel is the general state of repair. At this moment in time a missing paving stone, chipped stairs (although I was exceptionally careful when walking up and down them), exposed electrical wires and the odd broken sun bed did not have any impact on the quality of my holiday, however, it would be a reason not to consider the hotel again for fear of these problems being worse.

We ate at all of the a la cartes and each of them was fantastic, we used all 3 buffets with our favourite for breakfast being blue lagoon, so peaceful a lovely way to start the day. We also used the sports bar which was also good. I liked not having to pre book a la carte the day before I was happy to decided on the day what I fancied. The only suggestion I would make though is that although I didn't mind queuing to make a reservation there were 2 occasions where we queued for 20 minutes to then be told no more reservations were being taken, this was of course at the steak house, but there is a plain black board outside; it could be that the word full could be chalked onto this, eliminating unnecessary queuing and then upset/angry guests. We were annoyed but some guests were getting quite angry.

Overall our holiday was amazing. And it was due to the staff, food and view that this was the case

Tricia.

5  Thank trishten96
FiestaJamaica, Manager at Grand Palladium Lady Hamilton Resort & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded 11 August 2014

Dear Trishten96:

We have received your feedback regarding your recent vacation here at Grand Palladium Resort & Spa. We are happy to know that you had a wonderful stay and that we were able to exceed your expectations on your vacation.

Your comments were well appreciated to us as this is one of the many ways we grow and improve our products and services.

Again we thank you for your feedback and we look forward to your return visit so we can make it another grand vacation and anniversary experience.

Best regards,

There are newer reviews for Grand Palladium Lady Hamilton Resort & Spa

Reviewed 8 August 2014

Ok, so after reading some of the reviews here i went on this holiday with great concern at what we would find, as it turned out we had absolutely nothing to worry about. My friend and i (both age 32) travelled here on july 23rd 2014 for 2 weeks, we were meeting up with 2 other friend from home who arrived 1 week before us. I will try and cover every aspect of our stay.

ARRIVAL......On arrival we saw that the place looked great, were greeted with a welcome drink by friendly staff, checked in quickly and driven to our room with no delays. The driver carried our cases to the room and was very pleasant, a little tip for the staff never hurts and is always appriciated. We stayed on the lady hamilton side of the resort, if you prefer an environment without kids then i would reccomend staying on this side as the adults only pool is situated here, perfect setting if ya like to have a smoke and a drink away from the family scenes. . When we saw the room we were really happy, it was beautiful, Huge king size bed, massive pull out sofa bed, hydro massage bath was fab, shower was big enough to dance in if you felt like it, the place was spotless, the room was huge, the safe worked well and the view from the balcony was amazing with a spectacular sunset in full view around 6.30 every evening (room 3221 in block 32) if this sounds like something you might enjoy please request this room, its in perfect position on the back side of the building and is meters away from the sea, there is a beach, pool and bar within a 2 minute walk. Dillis our maid did a great job and was very friendly, the fridge was stocked daily with beers water and pop, a little tip left in fridge would get you a few extra beers if you wanted them.

THE FOOD ........I found the food to be excellent, the buffets varied every night with different themes, jamaican, japanese, italian, mexican, american etc, there was loads of choice, excellent salad bars, lots of breads, fresh fruit, deserts, pastas, omletts, burgers, ect were made to order. The staff in the buffets were very attentative, water was filled as soon as it was empty, other drinks were brought to the table for you, some evenings had welcome cocktails at the door. The a la carte restaurants were excellent, i would say the steak house was the best of them, the italian was maybe of a lower standard than the rest but still perfectly enjoyable, the asian and indian were both great as was the craole and the sea food place although they were a little slower. Overall we found the service good, these places get very busy and its very hot so any slight delays were accepted, If you dont want to queue then eat at the restaurants early. 24 hour food was available at the sports bar, these were basic snacks but were great after a late night out. All in all very enjoyable and we all came home a little fatter.

THE POOLS.....Very well maintained, the main pool is enormous, the water temp was great, pools were dotted all around the complex so choice was great and we found the adult pool most to our liking, the bar here was open till 10pm and the staff were amazing, Juanetta in particular made our stay amazing, she was always smiling behind the bar and knew us all by name, we talked a lot and she would have drinks ready for us whenever we wanted them. The pool bar beer was off for a few days so she had someone come down from another bar with a tray of beers for us. The jacizzis didnt work but that was no big deal when your surrounded by paradise.

THE BEACHES.......Coral beach (next to the adult pool so it was mostly an adult beach) was closest to us, the snorkeling here was amazing, lots to see, the sunbeds were comfy, the sea is warm and turquoise, the sun is hot, the breeze is cool, the weed is plentiful and the beer is cold, i really dont know what else you could ask for. Paradise cove was the colsest beach to this, it was bigger and had all the water sports activities here, canoeing, paddle boarding, pedlo and snorkelling were all available here. Also the jerk hut, this served jerk pork, jerk chicken, seafood paella and bread rolls daily, it was delicious, if your feeling upto it its close enough to swim to from coral beach if you want to swim round for dinner. there are lots of small beaches situated around the resort so you could be at a differnt one every day and not get bored. They were kept clean and tidy and looked absolutely beautiful. Towels were available from 9am every morning.

THE GROUNDS.................Just beautiful, yes the place is huge so theres a lot of walking to be done if you feel like it, its a really lovely place to walk around so i loved it, alternatively theres lots of pools and beaches dotted around so you never have to walk far if you dont feel like it. The gardeners do a fantastic job and are friendly and helpful, Its these guys you need if you want a coconut from the trees along with the other fruits and again a little tip goes a long way.

THE STAFF.........I have to say the staff here have been fantastic and really helped to make our holiday special, they were friendly, helpful and always greeted us on sight, we were here for a couple of weeks so got to know quite a few of them. The complaints i have read on here about rude staff can only have been made by rude customers (there seemed to be a lot of these) These guys work long shifts in very hot tempratures and for us were always polite and professional, and as mentioned before a little tip for there service was always gladly paid and greatfully recieved. I would like to say a special thank you to Juanetta, the bar staff from the adult pool, Greg, the night security at the adult pool, Otneil and Leon, the life guards, John from maintinance D.J the day security around our block and Omar and Ryan the night security at the beach for making our stay so amazing, we chatted a lot and loved meeting these guys, they asked us lots of questions about england and we asked them a lot about jamaican culture, they were always happy to see us and i hope to see them all again some day. The staff here are always happy to help with anything at all you may need, (and i mean anything) :) I can not thank them enough.

THE WEATHER ...........................what can i say, its HOT HOT HOT in paradise! The showers are seldom but we were happy to have them. There are lots of reviews complaining about the heat in bars and restaurants on a night but if you dont like the heat just ask yourself this, what on earth are you doing in Jamaica???

THE BARS.........There are lots on resort and we enjoyed them all, the nightclub is open late and is fun, the casino is open till 2am, the sports bar 24 hours, infinity bar is the main one and is great, make sure you sit on the right side of the bar for a lovely outside breeze, they also have a regular reggea band live at night along with other entertainment wich was chilled out and really nice. The adult pool bar was open till ten, i would have like this open till 12 but ya cant have it all ways!
Beer was chilled, cocktails were delicious and plentiful and the bar staff were very efficient.

THE SPA..........The spa was amazing, we all got full body massages and they were excellent if a little pricey, the spa its self was fab, lots of different temp pools, steam room, sauna, treatment showers ect, the staff here were very good at their jobs and i would reccomend the massage to anyone

ENTERTAINMENT.........Night time entertainment on stage was fun and were great dancers but it got repetative as we were there for 2 weeks, they were active with the audiance and had people laughing but i think this is the one area that i would say needs improvement

All in all we had a really fun relaxing stay, we met people from all over the world and loved every minute, The Jamaican people are absolutely amazing,
So for all the bad reviews please keep an open mind, and remember, if someone cant find any food they like across approx 10 different eateries the problem lies with them not the resort, the same goes for those complaining about rude staff, people will only respond to the way they are treated and we had absolutely no problems at all, being friendly, respectful and polite costs nothing. The pools are plenty and the beaches are beautiful, the resort its self is stunning and the one fault i had with the room (the phone didnt work) was fixed within hours of my request.
For thos complaining about all the walking, why book into a resort with almost 1000 rooms? for us it was a plus that the place was so big, we explored and found lots of things to keep us entertained so we never got bored. Also there is a bus service available to trolly you from place to place if you need it, just be willing to wait a little while if the drivers are busy and realise they have a lot to do.

So thank you to everyone at the Grand Palladium Resort and Spa, we had an amazing time in Paradise, you guys are doing a fantastic job and i am pretty sure you will be seeing us again at some point.
Michelle, Nicola, Cheryl and Kev :)

Room Tip: 3221 on block 32 for a beautiful sunset every evening! cant reccomend this enough.
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled with friends
6  Thank honestly44
FiestaJamaica, Manager at Grand Palladium Lady Hamilton Resort & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded 12 August 2014

Dear honestly44:

Thank you for sharing your feedback on your recent return vacation here at the Grand Palladium Resort & Spa. We are truly happy that your vacation experience met your expectations and most importantly you were satisfied with the overall facility and service offered.

Your kind words will definitely be shared among our team as this is one of the ways we grow and improve our product and services.

We thank you for your business and off course our guests means so much to us therefore we will continue to do our best. Again, we thank you for your business and we hope that you will allow us another opportunity to make it the perfect vacation.

Regards,

Reviewed 8 August 2014

My partner and I have just returned from the grand palladium spa in Jamaica was our most expensive holiday and was really disappointed you can't fault the grounds and the pools but for food they cater more for Americans and Jamaicans not great lot of choice for English but the steak grill was beautiful we had problems with the water in bathroom it was far too hot the workman said the mixer was broken but it never got repaired we also had 2 days without towels as maid forgot to bring them there was days round pool when there was no towels and the female staff in the buffet restaurant are so ignorant we actually walked out 4 times due to waiting for a hot drink at breakfast or a refill of wine on a evening this hotel is not platinum more like 3* very disappointed and a waste of £3,200 it cost us also low key entertainment on a night I expected a lot mire but won't be going back we stated in a 3* in Mexico last year far better hotel and country

2  Thank gillensmick
Reviewed 7 August 2014

Just returned today from Jamaica staying at the Grand Palladium Lady Hamilton, Lucea. Hotel was lovely, plenty to do, food in the retauarants was excellent. The views of the sea and jamaican landscapes was all you could ask of a carribean island. The staff in the Hotel were most helpful especially Merlynn and Winsome, two of the bar staff, two lovely, friendly people. The entertainment staff do a wonderful job keeping the guests entertained throughout the day and in to the night. II must also say the Thomson/First Choice Rep Hyacinth is a delight, informative, helpful, funny a lovely lady a credit to Thomsons/First Choice. If there was any negative comment to make it woud be the organising of the a la carte restauarants. The food was excellent in each them but gettin a booking was the challange. A booking system needs to be put in place to allow guests an opportunity to each there and possibly more staff to cope with the demand. As I said my husband and I had a great holiday at this hotel and will return in the future.

Room Tip: I would choose a high floor, towards sunset cove, quiter area but still within walking distance to a...
5  Thank marion c
FiestaJamaica, Manager at Grand Palladium Lady Hamilton Resort & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded 8 August 2014

Dear Marion c:

Thank you for your feedback regarding your recent vacation here at Grand Palladium Resort & Spa. We are happy to know that you had a wonderful time.

Your comments and concerns are very important to us as this is one of the many ways we grow and improve our products and services.

Again we thank you for your feedback and we look forward to your return visit so we can make it another grand vacation experience.

Warm wishes

Reviewed 7 August 2014

This hotel is over ran with ants and cockroaches. The food is terrible nothing like real life Jamaican food. Night entertainment ends to early . No snacks are the pool bar. Lots of drug taking tourists. The first aider leaves at 4pm each day . The rooms are unclean with a poor maid service.

• Stayed: July 2014
3  Thank Chants90
Reviewed 7 August 2014

This is a great place to get away for a few days AT LOW COST. Remember as you are reading reviews that this is a really low price for all you get, so just keep your expectation in line for what you are paying. I came here before and I will come back again because it was so easy once you arrive. There is always something to do all day. There are plenty of beaches on site to try and different restaurants to try, and water activities and drivers on standby ready to take you to see the rest of the island. The first time here I never left the resort for 5 days and we always had things to do. The second time here we hired a tour company and saw the island. If you are OK with just paying a base price, expecting basic room and food and nothing more, you will love it. If you are expecting people to give over the top service and not to be offered additional items for sale you will be annoyed and disappointed. For example there's a photographer to take your photo for a fee, nicer bottle of wine for a fee instead of house wine, boat cruise for a fee, massages for a fee. Just say no if you don't want it and enjoy the place for what it is, a convenient and low cost way to vacation. For the price, the beaches were good beaches, the room was a good room, the food was good food. Our first trip was in 2009 and second trip was in 2014 and we'll probably go back again in a few years.

Room Tip: On the Lady Hamilton side: Ask for ocean front near a pool or beach access. Building 26 is a good on...
  • Stayed: August 2014, travelled with friends
4  Thank Heidi F

Dear Heidi F:

We have received your feedback on your recent return vacation here at the Grand Palladium Resort & Spa. We are truly happy that your overall vacation experience went well.

We appreciate your business and we do strive on improving our services so that our guest at all times can enjoy the atmosphere, warmth and friendliness of our staff.

Our repeat guests means so much to us therefore we will continue to do our best. Again, we thank you for your business and we hope that you will allow us another opportunity to make it the perfect vacation.

Best Regards,

Reviewed 6 August 2014

We visited the Grand Palladium Lady Hamilton in Feb 2014 to celebrate my 50th Birthday with friends.
We loved everything about this place….The Weather, The Food & Drinks and the Amazing people that work there, who are so friendly and went out of their way to please you…Especially on my birthday, I had celebrations, cakes and special drinks at every bar and restaurant I went to that day!!
I spent the day of my birthday with the ladies at the incredible Spa, where we all got massages and spent a few hours lounging around the spa area pools and lazy river, while the men had a great time golfing at White Witch Golf Course.....My birthday dinner was at the Seafood restaurant and was surprised with balloons on my chair, bottles of Champagne and a delicious Birthday Cake.
We also took a fun Catamaran Snorkeling tour at Margaritaville, that went to Rick’s Café.
We had such an amazing holiday that we have already booked to go back again in December and bring our 3 grown children to celebrate our 30th Wedding Anniversary.

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled with friends
1  Thank Heather F

Dear Heather F:

We have received your feedback regarding your recent vacation here at Grand Palladium Resort & Spa. We are happy to know that you had a great time and everything went well especially on your birthday.

Best regards,

Also consider these accommodations in or near Lucea
Hilton Rose Hall Resort & Spa
#1 of 1 in Ironshore
Secrets St. James Montego Bay
Secrets St. James Montego Bay
#11 of 63 in Montego Bay

Been to Grand Palladium Lady Hamilton Resort & Spa? Share your experiences!