“Beautiful All-Inclusive Resort”

Grand Palladium Lady Hamilton Resort & Spa
Ranked #1 of 3 Hotels in Lucea
Reviewed 13 May 2009

I always read reviews prior to booking hotels so I feel compelled to write about the Grand Palladium Lady Hamilton. What a beautiful all-inclusive resort with excellent value. This was our first trip to Jamaica and our stay at this resort was great. We had a one bedroom suite and our 2 teenage daughters had a junior suite next to us. The rooms were huge, very clean and well appointed. Our room had 2 balconies! We were situated very close to Sunset Beach Cove and basically spent all 5 days hanging out on this beach. There was kayaking, paddle boats, hobie cats and GREAT snorkeling. We never had to wait for any of these activities and we took our own snorkel gear. The beaches and hotel grounds were impecably clean. The staff throughout the resort were very friendly and helpful. The food was good, not great, but good and some restaurants were better than others. On our last night we decided to eat at one of the buffets and we were very surprised at how good it was, probably better than the themed restaurants overall. The daily breakfast buffets were wonderful with a huge variety of items to choose from. One evening they had a beach barbeque with a band whose lead singer was fantastic. Other entertainment offered was also good. The sports bar had pool and ping pong tables as well as large screen tv's. We were able to watch March Madness!! As far as some of the reviews we read prior to booking, I would like to say that we do not get to upset over a few missing tiles and we always had hot water!! There were people constantly working to make improvements and keep the resort clean. We took a few hundred dollars in small bills to tip those who went out of their way to make our stay the best. We found that we were tipping all the staff as they all tried so hard to make things great. The people of Jamaica are the BEST...friendly and happy. The resort seemed very safe and with 2 daughters, that was important to us. We would definitely return to this resort and will request the Lady Hamilton side again. Our only complaint is that we didn't stay longer!!

• Stayed: March 2009, travelled with family
10  Thank Foreverbeachbums
There are newer reviews for Grand Palladium Lady Hamilton Resort & Spa

Reviewed 12 May 2009

My wife and I've been to 13 all inclusive resorts in Jamaica, Mexico and Punta Cana in the past three years. We're pretty seasoned travellers. We stayed in a bungalow with the outdoor shower, ground floor and the view was awesome. The shower was great and the whirlpool tub large enough for four people.
We did have tiny ants all over the room. Tiles are definitely missing in all the pools. The food is mediocre. Breakfast buffet was pretty much limited to omlets and coffee service was slow at best. The beaches aren't powder white, and the main beach is pretty much as other reviews have stated: a dusting of sand over what feels like concrete. We tipped very well and didn't receive any better service than anyone else. One day we had a female groundskeeper ask us for a soda from our minibar. Another day a maid asked to come in our room to make a call on the phone. Both situations made my wife very uncomfortable. We requested in advance for champagne in our room upon arrival as we were celebrating an anniversary. We got a knock on the door at 10PM with a champagne bucket with our champagne resting in warm water.
On a scale of 1-10 I'd rate the resort a 4 and don't see any chance of it getting better.

5  Thank handy101055
Reviewed 11 May 2009

We stayed at the resort from May 6- May 10. We had originally booked a suite in the Lady Hamilton section of the resort. When we arrived we inquired about the possibility of upgrading to the adults only section and were told it was booked. We were not too concerned, until we arrived at our room and found out they had placed us on the Jamaica side. We decided we would let it go as we did not see too much of a difference, but wish they would have at least told us they were doing that. We had no problem with the bed being too hard and always had towels and wash clothes. We also always tipped our maid well though.

We loved the beaches and coves. They were very relaxing, and that was what we cared about most. We did have one unfortunate event that happened on our first day- a dead rat washed up on shore right next to my beach chair. It was disgusting. My husband went to notify a lifeguard so that they could remove it. They acted like he was overreacting, but still came down to see. They then poked it with a stick and dug a hole right in front of my chair and the entire beach and burried it- righ there. Sick.

I would say that our biggest issues with this resort were the food and the staff. We found that a lot of the staff was pretty rude. The bartenders were all pretty friendly, but most of the waiters and desk staff that we came in contact with were not so nice. As far as the food goes, it was not all bad. We only ate buffets for breakfast (your only option) and lunch once. The lunch buffett was horrendous. Burger must have been grade D beef. It was horrible. Our favorite restaurants were the indian and italian. We also enjoyed posiden's fried fish at lunch and the jerk chicken shack- both of which are located at sunset cove, our favorite spot at the resort.

The resort has awesome reggae music outside Ms. Lou's bar every night and we really enjoyed this.

Overall we enjoyed our stay because we got to lay on a pretty beach for 5 days which was our goal. I think you could do this in better resorts though where the food is better and the staff does not treat you like you are a huge inconvenience.

3  Thank harmdm
Reviewed 11 May 2009

This may be long - but the short of it is we will not return to this resort. I'm guessing that all those people that are raving about the resort and service have never been to a real 4 or 5 star resort.

The resort is HUGE - but this is both an advantage and a disadvantage. Bring good walking shoes as it will be a good walk to get to anywhere. The advantage is that the large number of people are spread further out - it does not feel quite so crowded.

Yes - it is having some maintenance issues - must be poorly constructed.

The rooms are just beautiful and we stayed in both a junior suite and a honeymoon suite. BUT the floors are SO slippery even with flip flops on! My husband took quite a fall and is sore. The water pressure was not very good in our rooms - took ridiculously long to fill up a jacuzzi tub! The outdoor shower in the honeymoon suite is wonderful. (The slippery floors are not limited to the rooms - they are also within the resort)

Check in was the worst experience ever - they insisted we did not have the correct paper work from our travel agent - spent time over a few days straightening that out - then they also DOWNGRADED us - supposedly our rooms needed maintenance. So we were in a Jr. Suite for 2 nights. They offered a tour or a massage (per person) as compensation, but when we found a tour that we wanted - they said it had to be a tour offered by the hotel. At this point we are just hoping to be compensated for the difference in cost for the room nights. IF they really wanted repeat customers they would have taken better care of our situation.

Service - other than from the reception desk - was just wonderful - no problems.

Food - this is the first time I have been bothered by the food and drink - can't definitely say it was because of anything in particular - but I'd make sure you bring appropriate medications for indigestion.

Pools are lovely - but the main pool is really TOO large. The bar is in the middle of the pool and it is a long walk to get out (and further to find a restroom). I spent most of my time at the relaxation or the adult pool - but watch that last step - it's a big one!

Beaches - This is NOT the 7 Mile beach - no comparison - it is a coral beach and not very comfortable to walk on barefoot. Only one really decent beach for swimming. But a beach is a beach and they are so lovely so sit by and listen to the waves!

Beer - Only Real Rock in the rooms - no other alcohol could be stocked in the mini-bars. An entire vacation without a Red Stripe? Yes, they are available at the Infinity Bar.

Do ask each bartender for the specialties - always good. The best dirty banana can be found at the relaxation bar!

Tipping. This is supposed to be all inclusive, but it was obvious that many employees were eager for tips - almost had their hands out expecting them - every day - not just at the end of your stay that might be customary.

But the weather was beautiful! How could it not be if you're in Jamaica!

• Stayed: May 2009, travelled with friends
4  Thank btysklind
Reviewed 11 May 2009

Stayed at The Lady Hamilton from 5/3 - 5/10 on our honeymoon, I'll keep this short and sweet - basically, anyone on here complaining just likes to complain, its what they live for, you know who these people are in your own life.

Basically, this place is a steal at the rates it is currently going for, because it is so new...

Negatives:

-Beaches are manmade, but there are like 7 of them, and they are beautiful, especially Sunset Cove - great snorkeling too -- so not that much of a negative
-Our electricity didn't work (and not just sticking the card in the slot, it really didn't work) when we first got there but we called the front desk and they fixed it.
-Bit of a weird smell in the room (building 39, Lady Hamilton)
-They don't serve you bottled beer, I was disappointed in this as I pictured drinking red stripe bottles all week.
-Floor was dirty in our room, when we arrived, but again - called the front desk and they sent someone right over
-Tiles missing in the pool, its true, but its really not a big deal

Positives:

-Food is great, like 8 a-la-cartes, all good (the food is not what you would get in the US, but it is Jamaica, its a 3rd world country, the food was fine -- the Jerk Chicken stand on Sunset Cove was phenomenal, I ate 2 plates every day for lunch)
-Great Views everywhere, including a better sunset than at Rick's Cafe down on the Sunset Cove beach - if you go, you'll see what I mean...
- Miss Lou's Bar, a great place for playing cards at night, a really nice indoor a/c bar with top shelf liquor
-Marble everywhere
-The place is huge, there are more bars than you can count -- some people think the size of the resort is a drawback, I loved it, a lot to see and do
-Great entertainment every night outside the infinity bar, live reggae, steel drum bands, breakdancing - it was awesome, you really don't need to leave the resort
-Location - if you want to leave the resort only 45 mins from Negril and 30 mins from Montego Bay (I liked that it was outside Montego Bay and not in it - Montego Bay seems touristy and crowded)
-Rooms - the rooms are awesome, they upgraded us to a suite with a living room, hallway and separate bedroom, had two balconies
-Honeymoon dinner - one day we had a note in our room inviting us to a honeymoon dinner, it was a nice surprise
-Service - the Jamaican people are awesome, everyone at this resort was extremely nice - they made us feel like valued guests
-The Pool, simply the largest and most beautiful pool I've ever seen at a resort, and the water temp was great, not cold - plenty of chairs around the pool and plenty of towels
-No resevations needed at the restaurants, only place there was a wait was at Bubba's Steak House, and thats because its good, just get a pager and go get a drink.
-Fitness Center, brand new, great fitness center

Anyway, thats it, wasn't as short as I wanted to be - the people that do nothing but complain really had me worried as we were heading on this trip, but we were pleasantly surprised, we LOVED it, we would go back again - the place was aesthetically beautiful, the service was great - enjoy yourself, you are on vacation.

6  Thank dddPhiladelphia
Reviewed 11 May 2009

We stayed at the Grand Palladium Lady Hamilton side May 2nd - 9th and absolutely loved it. Following is a break down of our trip:

We arrived at Montego Bay at 1:15 PM and it took us at least an hour to go through immigration then on to baggage claim and onto out bus which took another 45 minutes. The drive to the resort took about 30 minutes and when we pulled into the Palladium I was in awe. I grabbed two rum punches and went to check in realizing we were in the wrong lobby. No problem. A guy loaded our luggage onto one of those carts and whisked us over to the Lady Hamilton side where we were promptly checked in and taken to our room 2819. We recieved an upgrade to a two room ocean front suite, second floor directly facing the ocean. In my opinion it was probably the best room on the entire property. It was only a short walk to the main pool/lobby/restaurants and also just around the corner from the Adult pool. The room was nicely appointed with marble floors/jacuuzzi tub, two balconies, two lcd tv's, plenty of towels, facecloths etc. Our new Canadian friends, Shelley and Shawn left us a note at the front desk telling us which room they were in. I met Shelley on this site to share a tour with and have to say that they are the coolest couple I have ever met anywhere. We spent the entire trip hanging out with them and the company could not have been better. The AC could have been a few degrees cooler but we were never hot or uncomfortable and slept well. The beds were fine in both my wife and my opinion.
After changing into our bathing suits we headed to Las Brisas beach and took a swim in the ocean. There are rocks for sure so wear water shoes and you will be fine. We then took a swim in the main pool and had a drink from the Las Brisas Bar before heading back to the room and changing for dinner. We just ate at the buffet that night but found it to be very good with a wide selection of foods to satisfy nearly all palates.

I spoke with Shelley on the phone the next morning and we planned on meeting a Sunset Cove.
The wife and I headed to the buffet for a satisfying breakfast (eggs, good bacon, sausage, fresh fruit, yogurt, cereal and awesome fresh juices). You must try the celery and parsley juice and the beetroot. Also always had fresh espresso every morning. Shelley had asked me if I had any identifying marks at which I had to chuckle as I am one big tattoo. Needless to say when walking the beach I heard a "you must be Mikhail". So we set up camp under a palapa with our new best friends and proceeded to have a glorious afternoon under the Jamaican sun. Sunset Cove is not rocky at all and is great for swimming. After several dirty bananas and Humming birds we went snorleing on the left hand side of Sunset Cove and saw a lot of colorful fish and lots of large sea urchins. Shawn saw something swimming by the rope and it turned out to be a baby puffer fish which was cute. We gently picked him up in the palms of our hands and released him back in the water where he swam around in circles and eventually darted off. We has lunch at the jerk hut which was pretty good and also Paella. That evening we had dinner at the Xamaicyan which had to die for coconut shrimp appetizers. I had the cracked conch for dinner and my wife had the blackened chicken which was very good.

Monday we met Shelley and Shawn for breakfast and headed to Coral Beach and the Adult pool. Tip: do not even bother with your towel cards as they leave big stacks of fresh towels at the adult pool or just pick some up left on the beach and exchange them for fresh ones. Leroy was the bartender and he was awesome. His specials were very good, Fresh papaya, pinepapple, banana, rum, coconut rum and other stuff. Also be sure to try a Bob Marley shooter. We went snorkeling on the left hand side of Coral Beach and were blown away. Lots of differnt types of corals, sea fans, anenomeas. There are coral walls approximately 20 ft in depth. We saw two squid or cuttlefish, a barracuda, trigger fish, parrot fish, clown fish and may others. Several other people said they even saw an octopus. We had the pleasure of meeting a couple. Joey and Louie from Boston and they were absolutely hilarious. After some Jamaican libations they had us rolling in the sand laughing our posteriors off. I felt like a kid again. I think we went to the Poseidon that night for dinner. I had the snapper which was really good.

Tuesday was one of the highlights of out trip. Carlton from Reggae tours picked us up in the lobby at 9:30 AM for a daytrip to Mayfield Falls and Negril. We stopped at a local store and picked up some Red Stripe and Dragon Stouts for the cooler and then stopped at the water wheel which is on an old sugar cane plantation. It is right on the side of the road from the Palladium towards Montego Bay. The locals gave us a tour and then showed us their crafts which were very good quality. I had absolutely no intention of buying anything but they were so nice and such good salespeople we ended up spending like $80.00 on assorted wood carvings, a bamboo Red Stripe beer mug and a hat for my wife. We then proceeded into the mountains up a bumpy, potholed curvy road to Mayfield Falls. We saw mango, ackee and breadfruit trees, lots of goats and chickens and local dwellings etc. After arriving at Mayfield Falls we hiked down like 150 stairs staright dowm the side of the mountain where they gave us a guide, Sheldon and a hut to put our things in. You hike up the stream and climb up like 14 waterfalls and swim in the plunge pools. It was very refreshing and cool. You can even drink right from the stream as it is springfed. I did and did not have so much as a cramp. We met the Bush Doctor , a local Rasta while climbing the falls and he helped m tie things up. Once at the last falls we hiked back down a trail to our hut where we had a cigarrette and some water and petted some of the local dogs. One actually followed us up the stairs and we wanted to take her home with us.
We then headed to Negril with a stop for the famous Jamaican patties on the way. We all had a serious case of the munchies by this point and proceed to scarf like 3 a piece. They are awesome!!! Once in Negril we went to the beach at Margaritaville which was very nice. Powder white sand as far as the eyes could see in either direction. We went for a swim and after polishing off a Dragon Stout we headed to Ricks Cafe, which is definitely a tourist mecca. We had a few Red Stripes and a rum punch watched the locals dive from the trees watched the sunset and listened to a live reggae band. I was going to jump but was too lazy after a long day. We then went to Best of the West but they were out of jerk so we stopped at Ossies and I had jerk pork and the others had jerk chicken. I used a lot of the Scotch Bonnet sauce which lit me up and only after a cold Guiness and about 30 minutes did the pain subside. We arrived back at the resort around 8:30 PM and met Greg from Reggae Tours and then went out to eat at the Indian Restaurant which was quite good.

The next day we went back to Sunset Cove and hung out on the beach all day and went to the Italian which was also very good. After the meet and greet in the Infinity bar Beth and I got the munchies and went to the Asian which was also very good. I highly reccommend the duck.

Thursday we hung out at Las Brisas beach. Shelley saw a sting ray swimming by the beach which unfortunately I missed. We had dinner that night at the Mexican which was also very good.

Friday we hung out on Las Brisas beach again and also went to the relax pool and checked out Gully Beach. We got caught in a heavy rainstorm which was very cool. That night Beth and I went to Bubbas and only had about a 10 minute wait and the steak was very good although I could only eat half of it. We then went to the infinity bar, had a drink and then went to Las Brisas beach and layed in one of the Bali beds until about 2 AM.

Our last day we skipped breakfast and went snorkeling again at Coral Beach. Apple tours picked us up at 10:30 AM and it was off to the airport, sadly.

Overall our experience at the Grand Palladium was great and we have no complaints whatsoever. We would definitely return. We never once encountered someone who was rude or indifferent and found everyone to be cheerful. Whenever we had a request we really felt like they went out of their way to meet it without rolling their eyes. The property is beautiful, the food is good, the drinks are plentiful. The maid service was very good and prompt and we always had turndown service.
My wife had a massage at the spa and siad it was very good. The have two saunas there and one is an aromatherapy. They also have a large hot tub that is shaped like a swimming pool.

Drinks I recommend are the rum punch (very strong), Dirty Bananas, Humming Birds, Jamaican Smiles and the bartender specials. Bring a Bubba keg you will not regret it. Miss Lous bar is where I went for my mandatory martini and a Heineken. Appleton rum is served at all the bars and is a premium liquor so if you stick to rum you cannot go wrong.

I brought a $100 in ones for tips and tipped a buck or two to almost everyone and still had like $20 left at the end of the week. I never felt like anyone had their hands out or expected a tip.

If 420 is your thing you will have no problem at this resort. It is everywhere.
i
Once again I want to give a big shout out to our new family Shelley and Shawn from Halifax. I could not imagine two better people to spend our week in Jamaica with. Very good conversation, great sense of humour and very laid back. You guys made out trip to Jamaica that much more special. Hopefully we will see you guys in Cuba next year.bh

7  Thank Snickerbilly
Reviewed 10 May 2009

We had planned on taking a repeat trip to the Grand Palladium White Sand in the Riviera Maya, Mexico, but on the day before our scheduled departure, the CDC advised against all non-essential travel to Mexico. At the time, very little was known about the H1N1 flu strain, and since we were traveling with a child, at the last moment we canceled our Mexico trip and sought alternate arrangements. The GP in Mexico was kind enough to refund every cent of our money even though we gave them less than 24 hours notice of our cancellation. Since they were so nice, we decided to look at other GP resorts. Flying from Denver to the Dominican Republic, where they also have a resort, was cumbersome, so we opted to fly into Miami and then hop over to the GP in Jamaica.

When we got to Jamaica, we were still a bit disappointed about our Mexico cancellation, and on top of it, the weather in Jamaica was gray and gloomy. In addition, we hadn't had time to research private transfers, and ended up waiting on a bus for almost an hour before we left for the resort. When we arrived at the resort, our room wasn't ready, and neither were many others. It turns out that the resort's laundry facility had experienced a major malfunction and so sheets, towels, and all other linens were in short supply. Some people were pretty upset, but everyone got their rooms eventually, and I felt sorry for the staff for having to deal with such an unexpected glitch.

When we arrived at our room, we were absolutely stunned. We had a gorgeous room on the Lady Hamilton side with incredible views from two balconies. The resort had actually upgraded us to a suite. (Thanks again, Mr. Jose Morgan.) I was so touched by this I had tears in my eyes. It was absolutely beautiful.

Anyway, the beaches in Jamaica look nothing like the one in Mexico. In Jamaica, they are little coves, and the sand isn't all that white or soft. I am a beach person, and I will admit that this did disappoint me a bit. However, over the course of our vacation, I grew to love those little coves. My daughter especially liked Sunset Cove. The coves generally are very calm places to swim. If you have sensitive feet, I would recommend water shoes; however, there are plenty of places to enter that have soft sand in Sunset Cove.

Sunset Cove is also cool because there is a jerk chicken shack on that beach where you can get lunch, and there is also a small buffet and beach bar in the restaurant above the beach. This restaurant turns into an ala carte at night. We also did most of our snorkeling off Sunset Cove, although we did snorkel off Coral Beach as well. The snorkeling was not as good as it was in Mexico, but we saw quite a few varieties of fish, a ray, some sea cucumbers, and an octopus. It is well worth bringing along your snorkel gear to Jamaica.

I think where Jamaica shines, for the most part, is in the friendliness of the staff. They treated my daughter like a princess, and they were so friendly and welcoming in general. Special people there were Fiona, our absolutely wonderful, outstanding maid; Clive, the bartender at the quiet pool; Gillian, who was both bartender and waitress, and the kid's club staff. We also enjoyed talking to others like Karlene in the Sunset Cove restaurant. There were others, too, who were awesome. So many, in fact, that I can't list them all here. In addition, although my daughter didn't use the Kid's Club often because we went when there were very few kids on the resort, she did a few of the mini shows and visited with the staff there frequently. So thanks to Barbie and Sugar and Spice for being so nice.

We ate at the Jamaican restaurant twice, in addition to the Indian, Asian and Mexican ala cartes. Never had much of a wait at all. The food was uniformly good. The service was incredible except for once when we had a looooong wait for drinks and food. But that was definitely the exception. When we ate in the buffets, the service was also generally very good. However, I preferred the buffets in Mexico to those in Jamaica for reasons I can't quite put my finger on.

We had a few glitches, but nothing that is worth mentioning specifically. The resort is fairly new and it is definitely getting up to speed, but I think it's almost there. I think some people go on vacation just so they can complain, based on the reviews I've read. We had a wonderful time and would recommend this resort to our friends.

The resort is absolutely gorgeous, and the orientation of the resort to the sea is really special. Have fun.

• Stayed: May 2009, travelled with family
4  Thank MLawArvada_CO
Also consider these accommodations in or near Lucea
Hilton Rose Hall Resort & Spa
#1 of 1 in Ironshore
Secrets St. James Montego Bay
Secrets St. James Montego Bay
#11 of 63 in Montego Bay

Been to Grand Palladium Lady Hamilton Resort & Spa? Share your experiences!