“Worth every penny - A great place to relax and unwind!”

Grand Palladium Lady Hamilton Resort & Spa
Ranked #1 of 3 Hotels in Lucea
Reviewed 20 January 2010

My husband and I were at the Grand Palladium Lady Hamilton January 3-8. I am an avid trip researcher and therefore, knew exactly what to expect. For what we paid and for a last-minute getaway, it was great. Was it a 5-star, lap-of-luxury resort? No. Would we return? Probably not.

That being said, our room was clean and spacious. We were in Villa 36 on the second floor with a partial ocean view. I had emailed the resort prior and requested an ocean view so I was not that disappointed. We found that the Lady Hamilton side was better situated and closer to all of the restaurants, beaches etc. If the price is the same, I would say book this side, if not, do not bother. We did have some minor issues with our sink and shower. The sink issue was fixed immediately while the shower issue was not. My husband simply switched the shower-head and we were fine! Lovely jacuzzi in the bathroom, an iPod clock radio, and a very small fridge stocked daily with beer, water and soda.

The beaches were decent. Yes, they are not white-sand beaches with crystal clear waters, however, the ocean was warmer than the pool. We found that Las Brisas beach to be the best and the quietest if you went towards the end towards the romance villas. Tons to do at Sunset Cove if you get bored; kayaks, paddle-boats etc.

The main pool was always lively with games, music etc. They also have a nice palapa area on either side where you can nap, be alone etc. The adult pool was small, but nice and did not have any kids at it while we were there. We also explored the property one day and found the "relax" pool which had no one at it.

Food: Pretty disappointing, but again, we were not expecting it to be that good, so we made the best out of it. We actually had our best meal the last night there and if I had known how good it was, we would have returned there more than once. It was at Poseidon's Sunset Cove. The Mexican restaurant and the grill house were really the only other two good meals. The Italian was awful and the Oriental was rough as well. My husband is a sushi eater however, and did find it edible. The good thing is that all of the restaurants have a nice appetizer and salad buffet you can hit up before your meals. Breakfast was excellent with made to order eggs at the buffet, mimosas, and strong delicious coffee. Unfortunately, your only options for lunch are the buffet and the jerk hut. The jerk hut is AMAZING but it is hard to pin down what time it actually comes out. We found that late in the day was best. Lack of room service was a real downer for us (we knew ahead of time.) Sometimes you just want to go back to your room and relax and have a sandwich!

The bars were okay as well. The premium bar is probably the best, offering a wider selection that the rest. The Real Rock beer on tap at all the bars is a little too sweet for our liking, so try and drink Red Stripe when you can. I found the champagne drinkable as well. House wine wasn't bad either. For the first time, I agree with posters when they say bring a insulated cup of some sort! The drinks were SO small and melted by the time you got them to your beach or pool chair.

I disagree with some posters that say the service at Grand Palladium is out of this world. We have been to Mexico twice and let me say, their service blows this place out of the water. I did not find any of the staff to be overly friendly. They were not rude by an means, just not that friendly. Be aware that everything is done at the "Jamaican" pace so if you are in a hurry, do NOT come here! Yes, you will have to wait for a table some nights at the restaurants and yes, there might not be towels at the pool, but get over it, you are on vacation!

We visited the spa one day and were disappointed to see that none of the jacuzzi's were warm.

Our favorite part about the resort was the entertainment staff. These young people must work from 8AM until 2AM and are always smiling and upbeat. They engage the guests in games, dancing etc. They also come and dance to the live music that is at the Infinity bar every night. DO NOT MISS THE LIVE MUSIC AT THE INFINITY BAR! It was so enjoyable and made our trip a memorable one.

You get what you pay for. We felt for what we spent on this trip, it more that exceeded our expectations. Have an open mind, relax and enjoy!

Any specific questions, feel free to message me!

4  Thank AlisonF143
Write a ReviewReviews (5,363)

Reviewed 19 January 2010

Bottom line..this is a beautiful resort. I'm sorry ..but people complaining about not having a 'face cloth' and it ruining their week are nuts! Please people..if a face cloth is as important as you make it out to be..bring a precious one with you!
Also if you are aren't able to scale two flights of stairs (no elevators in villas) or walk two city blocks..DON'T COME HERE. The resort property is very large and walking is necessary.
That aside.. the resort is clean (and I mean very clean), the rooms are spacious and nicely done up. The buffet restaurant is good for a buffet..they are never that great ~ who wants to wait in line? The a la Carte restaurants were very good. The Mexican, Steakhouse and Creole were excellent. The Asian was good ..just not my thing. Yes..Men need long pants (even jeans are ok). How hard is it to wear a pair of pants? There is also Italian, Indian and Seafood.
The Posideon at the beach was great at lunch and has a menu and salad bar. The Sports Bar is good until around 8pm when it gets loud and crammed with drunks and the smoking in a small area can become quite toxic.
The bars are good..I esp liked the Infinity bar at the top of the complex. There is bar service there as well as in the open air theatre. Miss Lou's bar is a nice break with A/C and NO SMOKING. Some of the bars can get very crowded at night with people on stools and make it hard to get a drink.
There is a jacuzzi in the spa and you can use it and the pools without cost. It's nice and quiet around there with no music and kids if you like quiet and no crowds..which I do. The big pool and area around it are quite loud and busy during the day. Some simply sunbathe and some play beach volleyball etc. There's lots for everyone to do. We tended to stick to the "Lady Hamilton" side of the resort which is quieter and has few to no kids around. The adult pool and beach is a nice place to kick back..there's even a bar there.
The Pros: You can snorkle right off the beach ..there are tons of coral reefs and fish to see. You will want to bring your own water shoes or even flippers.
There are lots of food choices and restaurants. A la Carte, buffet and casual (Sports Bar and Beach BBQ)
Beautiful views ..get Ocean view if you can. We had a Honeymoon Villa and it was fantastic. It has a jacuzzi made for 4 people in the bathroom!
Fantastic service: We had great service at all of the a la Carte restaurants. The buffet breakfast could be a little spotty with coffee and water..but it was usually quite busy and they were trying.
Pools: lots of pools with different atmosphere. Quiet to as loud as you want.
Walkways: covered walkways are nice for shade and getting around when it rains.

The cons: There is WAY TOO MUCH smoking in the public areas. Within the main complex..around the restaurants and pools..you had to wade through a cloud of smoke and it was GROSS. Smokers sure like to light up extra on vacation.
The beach is a little hard and bumpy. It's man made so I get it. From a review standpoint it is a 3/5 for walking on..to look at it's gorgeous.
The tiles can get very slick when wet. I fell myself and hurt my food. I heard of others that fell and hurt their backs etc.
It would be nice if there was room service..even for breakfast.

I would def recommend this resort and return myself in the future. I've stayed at 5 other '4-5 star' hotels in Jamaica and this one def measures up..esp for the price.
Any specific questions about this resort..just e-mail .. cheers!

5  Thank anythingdeco
Reviewed 19 January 2010

I can't say enough about how pleasantly surprised I was with our 5 day vacation at this resort! The place is absolutely gorgeous, the spa is beautiful with every service you could think of, the food was delicious (and I'm a royal PITA about food) with a fresh juice bar for breakfast, lovely salads for lunch and dinner (my husband and I became vegans 4 months ago so I was concerned about the abundance and variety of vegetables and grains) and they had from A to Z for all of the carnivores inlcuding our son.
The weather wasn't the best so we used the gym everyday, they also had excersize classes twice daily. The rooms are spacious with marble floors, a jacuzzi in the bathrooms, a small living area and a balcony, most overlooking one of the many beaches and most of them had their own bar! If you are a snorkeler, every beach had coral along the edges (bring your own mask).
There were 13 restaurants, the buffet had the most variety, the Jamaican was delicious as was the Asian but it was too busy so our food was room temperature. The Indian was excellent especially for vegans, the Steak house always had a line out the door but can't tell you what the food was like, the Mexican was the only so-so restaurant.
The attendents were very attentive as were the bartenders and all of the servers in the entire resort along with the maids, gardeners and securtiy!
I have nothing negetive to say about this place and we are looking forward to returning as soon as possible!!!!
PS If you have young children, they had a mini club and teen club that seem to have much going on with lovely sitters. Plus there was entertainment with some professional dancers most evenings.

• Stayed: January 2010, travelled with family
2  Thank travlin'cook
Reviewed 18 January 2010

lots of walking involved but service was very good rooms very nice and clean staff great food good property maintaned there are lots of steps to get from lobby to downstairs, restaurnats etc there is an elevator which I had to find out about myself (had a bad leg) Marvin at from deck Lady Hamilton was great and so very helpful- beaches are rocky but good for snorkeling pools are beautiful but water cold also in spa area we are used to hot tub jacuzzi these are cold water so not too many people in them my suggestion would be that thay do actually heat the one in the spa area for those of us that would enjoy - I didnt find the night life that entertaining , they have a small casino GREAT TOUR AND TAXI - Jackson Tours [--] Rocky - great people to deal with for any kind of tours or rides arount the island!!

• Stayed: January 2010, travelled solo
1  Thank sandyjamaica
Reviewed 17 January 2010

We found the resort to be very clean. The quality of the food was superb! At the buffets as well as the ala carte restaurants. Our favorite restaurant by far was the Xaymaica. The filet and the red snapper dishes are not to be missed...went back twice. Keanute provided excellent service. There are several beaches and pools to choose from on the property depending on what you're looking for. We spent most of our time at the "Sunset Cove" beach area. There's an open-air restaurant there that features a salad bar and small grill menu as well snack shack on the beach w/ grilled hot dogs and the like. Amazing views, beautiful warm beach that's protected from the wind that whips up in the main beach and pool area. The spa area is nice though the hot tub was broken for our whole stay. We got a couples massage that was very reasonably priced...not a lot of frills, but we paid for a rub down and that's what we got. Work out room is adequate, clean and well organized.

The only thing we can really ding the resort for were some snafus with bath towels (they were tough to get and they like to stick to the one person - one towel rule) and some annoying issues with slow drains...which, to their credit they fixed - or at least made better - fairly immediately. The room itself was lovely, but the bathroom could have been better.

This vacation was wonderful. The people made us feel welcome and we will return...probably to this very resort. Final reccommendation - don't sweat the small stuff. Remember, you're on vacation, mon. Chill out and enjoy yourselves.

5  Thank jfox112074
Reviewed 17 January 2010

We have stayed at Grand Palladiums in Punta Cana and Mexico but this was our worst
experience. I must say that the weather played a major roll in our opinion but the location
of the resort did not help (situated 45 min from Mo Bay and 1 hr. to Negril, taxis and excursions seemed pricey if you feel the need to "escape" the hotel). We found little representation of Jamaican culture and this nice but rather plain hotel (as compared to other Grands). The beaches are nice but rather rocky and stoney....the sand only in certain places felt nice to walk on in bare feet. The food, service (sometimes slow...but hey...your on vacation, what's the rush),entertainment and room was good a good value for the money. Everyone gets something different out of a vacation, we tend to see the good and accept the bad. Will we go back?...never! but that does not mean someone else will have the same experience. If you have any questions we will respond with a fair and unbiased answer.

Brian & Tracy
(bmelnike@mountaincable.net)

4  Thank nim-and-num
Reviewed 17 January 2010

We visited this resort from Toronto Dec 31st thru Jan 7th. New Years Eve food and entertainment were outstanding and all the staff worked very hard to make the evening fun. As previously mentioned the property is beautiful, rooms very spacious and clean, buffet and a la carte food very well done with good service, entertainment at the theatre was mediocre but the lobby bar entertainment was great. I do have to commend the Indian a la carte on their taste and presentation. If you know good sushi you will not enjoy theirs at the Oriental restaurant. Lamb at the Creole was wonderful. The Jerk Chicken Hut is great, I would have loved more Jamaican cuisine, a lot of the food was like eating in any US restaurant.

The infinity pool is quite beautiful, however we did not spend any time there as we prefer the quiet and less crowded areas. If you are a pool and activities person this would be the ideal place for you.

We hung out at the adult pool which is small but nice. Some people did bring their kids into this area and also the adult beach, however security will move them along if you ask.

We chose this location knowing the beaches were not great, however I was still quite shocked at how bad they were. The views are beautiful but if you are used to Cuban beaches you will not be happy here.

To sum up this review.........we enjoyed our stay and the very friendly staff but would not return soon due to the beach situation.

2  Thank Jaymars1
Also consider these accommodations in or near Lucea
Hilton Rose Hall Resort & Spa
Hyatt Ziva Rose Hall
#3 of 6 in Rose Hall
Holiday Inn Resort Montego Bay
Grand Bahia Principe Jamaica

Been to Grand Palladium Lady Hamilton Resort & Spa? Share your experiences!