“Family Friendly Resort”

Grand Palladium Jamaica Resort & Spa
Ranked #2 of 3 Hotels in Lucea
Reviewed 21 December 2013

The Grand Palladium Jamaica/Lady Hamilton is an excellent resort. There is a ton of things onsite to keep you busy and a travel team onsite to help you book your excursions. The Junior Suite is spacious although the mattress was not all that comfortable. My suggestion is for the hotel group to replace mattresses with pillowtop or sleep number ones in the near future. The resort is family friendly. If you get Paula as a housekeeper you will be blessed. She is amazing! I also wish there were more adults only locations on-site. I found the Palladium map slightly difficult to interpret. The bottom line is that if I was ever to visit the area again I would stay at The Grand Palladium Jamaica/Lady Hamilton Resort & Spa.

1  Thank SWilliams5597
FiestaJamaica, Manager at Grand Palladium Jamaica Resort & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded 23 December 2013

Dear STaylor593,

Thank you for sharing with us your review based off your wonderful vacation spent here at the Grand Palladium Jamaica. We are pleased to know that you enjoyed all that our Resort has to offer and that your expectations were met. We are also grateful for your feedback as it is your comments that will aid us to improve on the product that we have. We hope that in the future we will be your Resort of choice for another vacation nothing short of Grand!

Write a ReviewReviews (7,083)

Reviewed 21 December 2013 via mobile

I recently styled at this resort for my wedding with my closest 50 family and friends ... What I thought would be an amazing experience was the worst vacation I have ever been on. I have been to the island 3 times now (the first 2 times were amazing.. Reasons why I decided to get married there) however my stay at the grand palladium was horrid. The resort is dirty, service is slow, pot is one drug I don't care for but when u were offered cocaine every hour by someone it gets annoying. We paid for a honeymoon suite which was nice however our room wasn't cleaned for 4-5 days and on the days they did come it was 8am(I don't get up at 8am on vacation) we didn't have hot water or air conditioning for 4 nights 5 days. Our room was hotter then it was outside, which made for what was supposed to be a memorable romantic trip horrible we couldn't even sleep near each other. Front desk staff are more then rude. The wedding was beautiful however I had to go find my own wedding coordinator since she didn't make an appointment with me ahead of time. I had picked a wedding package that included having my dress steamed they took my dress on the day of my wedding and didn't bring it back to me till 1:55 my wedding was at 2 and it wasnt steamed then I was advised I was supposed to request it the day before but I was never advise of that, they don't advise you of much. 3/4 of the people in our group did not enjoy their stay at this resort. I could go on and on but I'll leave it at that I would not recommend this resort to anyone. The iberostar in Montego Bay is my normal go to resort it's amazing I hope highly recommend the middle resort or the grand (adult resort)

Stayed: December 2013
1  Thank Ecsu
FiestaJamaica, Assistant Accommodations Director at Grand Palladium Jamaica Resort & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded 2 January 2014

Season Greetings Ecsu,

We would like to apologize for the inconveniences experienced during your stay. At the same time, you can feel assured that your comments helped us identify or focus on any possible deficiencies that may exist in our hotel and take whatever corrective actions may be necessary.

We would be grateful to host you again, to show you our usual warm hospitality and service standard, as the experience you had is not typical of our guests.

Kindest Regards,

Assistant Accommodations Director

Reviewed 19 December 2013

It has been 10 days since I sent the following email to Grand Palladium Hotels and to Palladium Travel Club. I've made two phone calls and I still have yet to receive feedback from either group. I think this speaks volumes about their lack of concern for guests and members.
In my email I didn't even mention the little things (including but not limited to): no tomato juice all week at the bars for bloody marys, large electrical connection box with no cover located in the pool area, eroded beach areas, the spa soon to charge guests $10 a day to use facilities that frequently have operational issues, waiting every morning for plates in the buffet and concierge desks left unattended for extended periods making it a hassle to get ala carte restaurant reservations.

I just returned (12-7-13)from a 10 day vacation (my 7th stay) at the Grand Palladium in Lucea Jamaica. I enjoyed the resort so much in the past that three years ago I joined the Travel Club for added benefits. The reservation and trip verification process for this trip went extremely well and without issue. The problems occurred when I reached the resort (11-28-13@1305). There was no Travel Club representative there to provide "private check-in" as per membership. I waited for 8 other guests to be checked in only to be told that they were still attempting to find the representative. A representative finally appeared (@1330) and check in was completed (@1345). I was quite hungry so I headed down to the sports bar leaving my companion to identify our luggage so it could be tagged with our room number. Our luggage was gone. It seems somehow our luggage had been placed on a bus to who knows where. We had something to eat but I was still angry so I went to the Travel Club office. After being ignored for almost 5 minutes I was approached by a representative. I told him I wished to speak with a manager. He phoned someone and told this person that there was an irate guest who wanted to speak with him. This person told the rep to tell me he was unavailable. Not that he would be there later or that he could see me first thing in the morning. During the 10 days I was at the resort no one from Travel Club management ever contacted me. The check in rep appeared in the bar (@1500) saying our room was ready and he had our luggage. All these events happened in the first 2 hours. So much for being "Family" as the Travel Club likes to promote.

The next few days passed without great incident. No personnel issues only minor management process issues. The next major issue involved air conditioning or should I say lack of. For 2 days and nights there was no air conditioning in our room and at least 150 other rooms. There was no communication from the resort, nothing from the Travel Club reps, no notice under the door on status, NOTHING. In fact we and others were lied to when we called guest relations by being told it was repaired and to wait an hour or so and it would cool down. The rooms by this point smelled. The stone floors were wet and slippery from the humidity. Our clothes were damp and smelled moldy. Taking a shower was futile. Upon our departure from the resort the AC was still broken.

As a member of the Travel Club you are entitled to, among other things, private transport to and from the airport. While waiting for our cab to take us back to the airport we started talking to another couple who were leaving and who were also members of the Travel Club. The next thing a minibus pulled up and the 4 of us were told to join another two already on this bus. When questioning this the other couple were told they should have ensured their return paperwork had stated private transport. I very calmly said no and demanded to see a rep. After a few minutes I got private transport. Joining the Travel Club was not cheap. I paid quite a bit for these added benefits. As this was the final days of my membership I would have expected to have been treated better so that I might have considered renewing my contract.

In the 6+ years that this resort has been in operation the attention paid to guest comfort has decreased drastically. Management needs to take a step back and ensure guest comfort outweighs cuts for profit. In doing so guests will happily return, spread great reviews and profits will increase. I believe the Travel Club at this site places more emphasis on sales rather than on the purported "family" relation. This resort is a visually beautiful place. The workers are friendly and proud of their island. However, the tension between white management and black workers is palpable. Might this be the greater issue?

Room Tip: Pay the extra for a room on Lady Hamilton side. That side is closer to amenities.
  • Stayed: November 2013, travelled as a couple
2  Thank vpn2009
FiestaJamaica, Assistant Accommodation Director at Grand Palladium Jamaica Resort & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded 21 December 2013

Dear Guest,

If you have any further questions please do not hesitate to contact us.

Assuring you our best care and attention at all time we remain at your service,

Cordially,

Assistant Accommodation Director

Reviewed 19 December 2013

The Grand Palladium has potential to be a great destination for all holiday makers. The hotel itself has amazing grounds and a fantastic pool.
The rooms were great, very spacious, air conditioned with a Jacuzzi bath, comfy beds, pillows a bit hard for my liking .Basic minibar restocked daily. Rooms cleaned to a high standard daily.
overall the food was of a good standard . There were seven speciality restaurants to choose from but only three were open at any one time ,which led to big queues and sometimes a two hour wait .You cannot pre book the restaurants so you never knew whether you would get into the restaurant of your choice or end up in the buffet restaurant. we started going out to eat at 18.00 just so we could get in a speciality restaurant.
in the buffet restaurant for breakfast and lunch although the food was great the service wasn't I finished quite a few breakfasts before my coffee arrived ,and onto my desert before my wine arrived. it would help if you could serve yourself drinks.
There was a good selection of bars, and there was always good nightly entertainment ,but the service in the bars was the same a bit hit and miss.
The gym and the SPA area is great, spa a bit overpriced ,but no different to other hotels.
A couple of great little beaches and coves .
We enjoyed the Miss Lou bar the best, had a good selection of drinks and service was good. (very good measures)
It was a shame not to give it an excellent review but the speciality restaurants, and service was disappointing. The staff were all very friendly, always had a smile for you,
We were invited to attend a management cocktail party!, its the first time that we have ever attended a cocktail party with no welcome drink, and no cocktails, the person introducing the staff/management didn't actually know the names of the people he was introducing, it was funny if nothing else.
Overall my view on this hotel, is that it has potential to be excellent but requires the management to step up, get better organised and make some changes.

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled with family
1  Thank Paul H
FiestaJamaica, Manager at Grand Palladium Jamaica Resort & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded 20 December 2013

Greetings!

Thank you for taking the time to share with us your review based off your stay here at the Grand Palladium Jamaica. We are elated that your vacation with us was a wonderful one and that you enjoyed all that our property has to offer.

We do appreciate your feedback as it will help us to take corrective action to improve on our present service in those areas which you have mentioned.

It was our pleasure hosting you and we welcome you to visit again in the near future. Please feel free to contact us if there is anything that we can do from this end. Until your next stay, best wishes from our Palladium Family.

Reviewed 18 December 2013

The Grand Palladium is a great hotel in lovely grounds. rooms were clean and fresh. The main pool with swim up bar was excellent. There was an extensive range of drinks and cocktails in the bars, on the whole staff were generally happy to make whatever you wanted. In particular Ricardo Steele in the Miss Lou bar was brilliant, with general chat and advice and great cocktails and cappuccinos too.
The hotel let itself down by the lack of attention to detail: we always had to chase up getting the stocks in the room replenished, some staff simply couldn't be bothered. The management should seriously consider a booking system for the restaurants, while the odd half hour is fine, 2 hours is extreme! Not all restaurants were open, adding to the waiting time and this sometimes showed in the the food, the Italian in particular was very poor quality. Don't think of asking for a coffee after a meal, it'll never arrive! This is simply a three star hotel because they couldn't make the effort to make it better.
The airport transfers/booking in/check in were a complete shambles and Thomsons couldn't care less.

1  Thank Nicky C
FiestaJamaica, Guest Relations Manager at Grand Palladium Jamaica Resort & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded 21 December 2013

Dear Nicky C,

At the outset, please allow us to say thank you for having stayed with us on your last vacation.

Complete guest satisfaction is our goal, and for this reason we regret hearing your stay was not completely satisfactory. while we take pride in, and thank you for all the positive comments, we have to give special attention to those less than favourable areas.

We want to assure you that the necessary action is being taken by our Food and Beverage directors to make this aspect of ones vacation as hassle free as possible.

As for the specific team member who is made mentioned in your review, we will ensure he is aware of your appreciation for his brilliant service.

Thank you once more and we hope you will return in the near future to witness all improvements made.

Best regards,

Reviewed 18 December 2013

Our Party of 4 stayed here in October and I really don't have any complaints, I just put that down to either whinging americans or my standards are low :-). The food was amazing and we went to all the restaurants, which all bar the Mexican were fantastic,(you can give that one a miss). My hubby and friends love the Jerk shack, and my fav was the Jamacian restaurant.

All but one of the staff were fantastic and the service brilliant and I found them all to be accomodating if we had any requests, always smiling and happy (apart from miserable bar man at the adult pool one day).

The entertainment, these guys work very hard, we went most nights but then prefered to go to upstairs bar where they would follow on after with music, disco's after etc.

Although I prefer smaller resorts I like that GP was big enough and that you could get away from people and chill, not so sure it would be like this in peak season...I would be retreating to the adults only pool/beach.

The beach over the far side of the resort was nice and sandy and they had a great beach party here on our 1st night. The other beaches you do need jellie shoes but the pool and bars are really close if you prefer not to swim in the sea.

Our room was clean and spacious with a sea view, yes we were at the other end of the resort but it really wasn't a problem to walk less than 5 mins to the reception etc.

I would definitely go back here as we all had a great time and met some lovely people...Jamacia is awesome.

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled with friends
3  Thank Raunchesque

Dear Raunchesque,

Thank you for sharing your review about your recent vacation here with us. We appreciate your positive comments and we are pleased to read about the wonderful time and experiences that you have had.

As a 5 Star Resort we pride ourselves in the level of service which we provide to our guests. It is important that our guests have a grand vacation and it is great knowing that you enjoyed all that we have to offer.

It was our pleasure hosting you and we welcome you to visit again in the near future for another vacation nothing short of Grand!

Reviewed 17 December 2013

The Grand Palladium is a beautiful resort located in the middle of nowhere Lucea, 45 minutes from Montego Bay.
There isn't much to do during the day besides swimming in the pool or hanging in the small poolside bars; the man made beach is for looks only as most of it full of sharp coral and rocks. I found that there is a swimming section at the end of Las Brisas beach. Oh, if you ant to have a drink be ready for tipping at least a dollar a round for 3 ounce glasses of beer and sub-par drinks. Now, I have been to all inclusive resorts and I know that tipping is a must, but in this resort, and sorry to say, in Jamaica in general it seems to be the only way to get people to do their jobs. For example, we always left a couple of bucks on the night stand for the maids and every time we got back to our room it was spotless with a nice heart made out of folded towels with rose petals; and the one day we forgot to leave a tip because we got up early to go to an excursion the room was not cleaned, the fridge was not restocked and of course not only was there not heart of towels, but the bed wasn't even made. I also saw the airport shuttle bus driver cursing at a passenger who did not tip him.
Of course there were exception and for the most part the waiters and waitresses at the a la carte restaurants were exceptional. The buffets' service? Well, that's different story.

4  Thank EdRoblesJr
FiestaJamaica, Assistant Room Division Director at Grand Palladium Jamaica Resort & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded 21 December 2013

Seasons Greetings EdRoblesJr,

Thank you for sharing your comments. We are happy you found our resort “beautiful” as it truly is, with the sun, beaches, varied cuisine appreciated worldwide and the cheerful nature of our staff alike.

I am sorry that you did not find our beaches to your liking as, we are proud to inform you that we are one of the few Hotels who have earned the Blue Flag certification which speaks directly to natural, clean and healthy beaches. We also have three of the best beaches at our resort and majority of our guests would differ with you on your opinion. Our Sunset Beach is first choice by most of our visitors. Similarly, our Coral Beach is a natural sanctuary with live coral areas for incredible scuba or snorkeling. Our Las Brisas beach is also wonderful and facilitates daily activities to keep our guests entertained.

Regarding tipping, this is optional and always at the Guest’s convenience, it is certainly not our intention for our guests to feel hassled and uncomfortable. We humbly apologize for any discomfort you experienced and assure you that this is not the typical experience of our guests.

We encourage guests with issues or complaints to make them known to our Guests Relations Manager or Front Office Manager, in order for us to immediately address the situation, especially if it concerns the cleaning of your room. We are sorry for that experience with your room.

It would be our pleasure to host you again and offer you our usual warm hospitality.

Best regards,

Assistant Room Division Director

Also consider these accommodations in or near Lucea
Hilton Rose Hall Resort & Spa
Holiday Inn Resort Montego Bay
Hyatt Ziva Rose Hall
Hyatt Ziva Rose Hall
#3 of 6 in Rose Hall

Been to Grand Palladium Jamaica Resort & Spa? Share your experiences!