“Good Hotel but needs work”

Grand Palladium Jamaica Resort & Spa
Ranked #2 of 3 Hotels in Lucea
sartell
“Good Hotel but needs work”
Reviewed 8 May 2014

I stayed at Grand Palladium Jamaica April 23rd-28.The hotel is beautiful.There are a few things that bothered me about it.There seams to be no air in any of the restaurants.The sports bar is by far the worst.The room air is not very good either.The fridge in the room did not work properly and our drinks were always warm.They only included two bottles of water in our fridge each day and we had three people in our room.It seems like it was hard to get water any where in the resort.This tends to be a problem because it is like 90 degrees there.The food was overall pretty good.The people working there were wonderful.Very polite and friendly. The beach there is not very good.It is rocky and small.They do have a wonderful pool.The resort was average at best.

7 Thank sheila s

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,840)
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
  • Slovak first
  • Turkish first
Brentwood, California
Reviewed 7 May 2014

Well, I'm a little late in writing this but I just had to share regardless. I'm one of those people that will check ratings up until the time I leave. My husband and I and two other couples went and we had the best time. We followed all the tips. However the one thing I have to say is the restaurants are not as strict as the reviews said. My husband whose and island boy thru and thru can't stand to wear long pants in any form so making him wear long dress pants and shirt and shoes only to find out the men could wear nice walking shorts with nice sandals....yeah...not the best first night there. So dress nice, but cool. No tank tops at dinner for the men, even in the buffet restaurants. Now for the resort. Loved it. One of our family members had a problem with his ankle so walking for him was a bit hard and having to weight for the shuttle was frustrating for him. But we loved walking all over the resort. Regarding check in..we had to wait just like the reviews said so we just planned on it being that way and it was fine. We originally were booked on the Jamaican side but when we got there they put us on the Lady Hamilton side which was perfectly fine with us. Food was fine. Didn't really care for the Chinese restaurant. It was a bit slow in the service and the food was "ok" at best. We brought our tumblers everywhere and it was great. They just filled them up everywhere we went. The little sports bar was a really fun getaway. Sometimes in the afternoon we'd just want something quick and we'd go in there and order burgers or chicken burgers etc... Our room was great. There were some tiny bugs in the closet shelves but....we are in Jamaica so we didn't sweat it. The staff from those that cleaned our room to the staff at the restaurants were just wonderful. Yes there were some that may not have been the friendliest but we just killed them with kindness and won them over. I know we are on vacation but the way some people treat the staff is just rude. They aren't our servants and I hate when people act like that. We planned on tipping and we did. Didn't go overboard but let me tell you they appreciate it so much. I loved Jamaica so much and can't wait to go again. I'd definitely stay here again but I want to see the whole country so it may take some time to get back there. Oh one more thing. We booked the city tour and got Everton but I can't remember from what company....the man is gold. He showed us the most wonderful time. We booked the city/shopping and Rick Café and he was our guy. Great great wonderful time there. I was so sad to leave. 10 days versus 7 would have been perfect. We are from California/Hawaii so meeting all the other wonderful people from Canada to Russia was amazing. Aloha Jamaica. We love you!!!

• Stayed October 2013, travelled as a couple
4 Thank ginaa0468
FiestaJamaica, Manager at Grand Palladium Jamaica Resort & Spa, responded to this review, 21 May 2014
Greetings!

Thank you for taking the time to share with us your review based off your stay here at the Grand Palladium Jamaica. We are elated that your vacation with us was a wonderful one and that you enjoyed all that our property has to offer.

It was our pleasure hosting you and we welcome you to visit again in the near future. Please feel free to contact us if there is anything that we can do from this end. Until your next stay, best wishes from our Palladium Family.
Reviewed 7 May 2014

First I would like to start with telling you that we had a group of 48 people go to The Grand Palladium Resort & Spa in Lucea Jamaica April 17, 2014. ( Yes we did book this thru a travel agent.) I want to start out with the air port we had people waiting to pick us up when our planes arrived we didn’t wait at all for them they were waiting for us. We couldn’t have asked for any better. On our ride to the resort which took about 35-40 mins they stopped so we could get a beer for the rest of the ride. Checking in at the resort was smooth we check in 21 couples/families at this one time only 1 couple had a problem where they couldn’t find there reservation but with no question they found them a room and said everything was all set.

The next day we met with the wedding coordinator Melony to finish up on the final wedding plans. She was great she had a folder of everything we had spoke about we changed a few things walked the resort as she showed us the location that I had choose for the wedding and than the back up location just in case it rained. She was extremely friendly and helpful. She walked us thru what the wedding day would be like from receiving the flowers / photographer plus making sure all of the guests knew where to be to get a ride to the wedding. It was just perfect.

They day of the wedding it was great all of us girls got ready in my room plus we had our friend who is my hair dresser with us so she did all of our hair than Melony showed up with our flowers and made sure everything was good and told us when she would be sending a cart for us. Just perfect! When getting over to the ceremony site she was waiting for us and made sure we all knew when to start walking and when the music was ready. It was absolutely perfect. The minster was great made us laugh and had everything in order for us. After we did pictures and went to the reception where we did appetizers for a meal and had a DJ. At this time Melony was still around making sure everything was running smooth as it was. We had some great bartenders and a great waitress. Nathan was one of the bartenders for the reception who danced with us plus went and worked setting up the disco bar after but waited to take his break so he could come set off the Chinese lanterns with us. Also Gillian Lewis was fantastic waitress for the wedding. She went out of her way to make sure I had what I wanted to drink. I only like bottled water so she went and found me a few. Also we all went to the sports bar after the reception where Gillian continued her shift. She also waited all day to take her break so she could go set off the Chinese lanterns with us. They were fabulous people that make you have fun.

For the rest of the trip the pool was beautiful could use a little different filtering as there was a lot of hair clumps floating thru out the day but I did see them treat the pool at night with chemicals. The restaurants we good men make sure you have long pants on and a shirt with sleeves or they wont let you in. I can say if you want to do the specialty restaurants make sure you get there around 5 or you will have like a hr wait. Well worth the wait. Our group really enjoyed the sports bar the most I think they had some of the best people working there Gillian and Marvette Gordon made this place fun. Its employees like these that made us hang out there in the day or night to play pool , eat and of coarse drink. The only thing about this is they need to get AC in hear and some air flow as its hot inside.

As for the hotel I think they did a good job cleaning and stocking my mini fridge. The maids were right on cleaning our room and friendly. The only thing I can say is for a resort this large I don’t think they give our cleaning folks enough towels and wash clothes to do there job properly. These folks try really hard and yet I blame the resort for this. I also think that for a resort as large as this they should have more carts to pick people up. The day of the wedding we ( the bride and groom ) went and did pictures and when we were done from the beach we waited 15-20 mins before we could get someone to pick us up. There was a hotel person calling for one and it took forever. Now as a bride in a long dress a groom in pants and a jacket at 95 outside 15-20 mins its way to hot. We were going to walk to the reception but they were pressure washing so everything was wet. But as a whole this place was fabulous !! We all had a great time and will return in the future!!

4 Thank Bridget T
Dear Bridget T,

We have reviewed your comments and was very delighted to hear about the wonderful time you had while you were and most importantly you wedding went very well.

We are happy to know that you enjoyed the overall facilities and we will share your comments with our team. We really appreciate the time you have taken to write to us and share your reviews as this will help us to improve our product and services.

We were extremely happy to have served you and we look forward to your return visit in the near future.

Best Wishes.
Portland, Maine
Reviewed 7 May 2014

We recently stayed at the Grand Palladium resort from April 23-May 1st. The drive from the airport was just short of an hour. The resort itself is huge. They welcomed us to the 5 star resort. I am sorry, but this is a 3 star resort. Lots of work needs to be done to this resort. I cannot believe it is only 6 years old. Looks much older. The check in was horrible. The lady was extremely rude, telling us that our room was not ready because we requested 2 beds. Well excuse me- we have 2 adults and 2 children. One bed will not do. She told us to go eat and come back. I must tell you that it was 4:00. We came back at 5:30 and the room still was not ready. We were very unhappy. Finally at 6:00 the room was ready. The room was on the Lady Hamilton side #40. The furthest possible room. Not good with kids. The room was alright. We called multiple times about ants. We also waited 6 hours for towels. For a huge resort like this, they ought to have more supplies.
The food was ok. The steak house was the best, but you need to get there early or you will never be able to eat there. The staff did not seem happy at all to be there. We only met one happy housekeeper who went above an beyond. The rooms were very hot. Limited A/C. There was a managers chocolate dessert bar that we went to and it was there that I met the manager of the resort. Told him our complaints and he said he would compensate us. Ya right- NOT. Nothing was done at all. We even complained to Apple Vacations- nothing again was done.
This is our third time in Jamaica and we will go back to the island, but NOT THIS RESORT.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled with family
7 Thank michelle l
PA
Reviewed 7 May 2014

Group of 22 were there last week, April 26th to May 3rd, we all had a fantastic time. Front desk Ingrid and Elizabeth were excellent and check in was no problem. Everyone in the entire resort were very friendly.
Service was good at most of the restaurants, food was the best at the Steak house and Asian...
Our Villa was 26 which is the best Villa on the Lady Hamilton side and Ingrid did her best to have the whole group in the same Villa. Great Job !! 3rd time there and I got my same room each time 2635 which was a plus for us...My maid Cami was really good, took good care of her.
Lawrence by the pool was the best and all the activity girls were super...Kitty Kat, Sunshine, Honey, Buttercup and Happy, and Mr. Go too, they made our day everyday !!! We had a ball with them...
Sunset Cove has the best jerk chicken we ever ate and no problem getting it no matter what time of the day we would go there.
Most of the group said they will return to the Lady Hamilton, if we get Villa 26...

Room Tip: Villa 26 on the Lady Hamilton side is the best villa
1 Thank Blueeyes630
FiestaJamaica, Manager at Grand Palladium Jamaica Resort & Spa, responded to this review, 14 May 2014
Dear Blueeyes630,

Thank you for sharing your review about your recent vacation here with us. We appreciate your positive comments and we are pleased to read about the wonderful time and experiences that you have had.

As a 5 Star Resort we pride ourselves in the level of service which we provide to our guests. It is important that our guests have a grand vacation and it is great to know that you enjoyed all that we have to offer.

It was our pleasure hosting you and we welcome you to visit again in the near future for another vacation nothing short of Grand!
Hamburg, New York
Reviewed 6 May 2014

Check in was horrible the woman at desk are not welcoming at all. Very unfriendly.
Room was nice but many small bugs on bathroom counter all 9 days. Extremely large centipede found in bathroom (approx 7 inches)
Buffet excellent
Italian rest excellent
Steak house terrible. Over cooked tough steak no air cond
Other than check in all other staff were awesome
Pool was clean and nice
Grounds could be a bit better on grooming
Bushes in front of infinity pool block ocean view from pool what a error in landscaping!!!!!!!!
Our ac in room worked but the couple we went with had no air in their room

• Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
3 Thank uollab12
new york
Reviewed 6 May 2014

I traveled with my Husband and 21mth old baby.
The drive tot he property was about 45mins. Upon arriving at the hotel we were directed to where the a woman was serving the arrival drinks not butler style service.
We arrived about 2pm. We went to have lunch. our rooms were ready by 3pm. We stayed at Villa 16 on the Jamaica side. it was not close at all to anything.

This property is HUGE! it's a lot of work to keep it maintained. the grounds are well treated. The hotel is a eco friendly hotel so the practice energy saving. the AC in our room never got cold.We have the temp at 55 degrees F . it felt like 75. That was my major issue. There are no elevators to the rooms. So I would not recommend the property for older people or people with disabilities. the food was ok. The Jerk hut was a hit but the Jerk Chicken sold out one day by 1pm and they opened at 12pm??? That is a problem for a hotel of that size.

The kids club takes babies from 1year. Which is great. They have car buggy's that you can sign out and use through out the property. Which was a lifesaver, our little one loved it.

Overall, I felt like i had a good vacation, the property is nice, not HORRIBLE. It was def. better than being at home.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled with family
Dear deltagrl,

Thank you for sharing with us your review. We appreciate the time which you have taken to bring to our attention the pros and cons of your vacation experience here at the Grand Palladium Jamaica. We are overall pleased that you and your family enjoyed your overall stay with us.

It is delightful that you enjoyed the delicious jerk chicken by the Jerk Hut. We must apologize for the unfavorable happenings throughout your stay and will see to it that corrective action is taken to rectify each.

We would love to be given the opportunity of hosting you again in the future so that you may have a vacation nothing short of Grand. Feel free to contact us if there is anything further we can assist with from this end.
Also consider these accommodations in or near Lucea
Grand Palladium Lady Hamilton Resort & Spa
Secrets St. James Montego Bay
Secrets St. James Montego Bay
#11 of 63 in Montego Bay
Secrets Wild Orchid Montego Bay

Been to Grand Palladium Jamaica Resort & Spa? Share your experiences!