“An ok place to stay.”

Ranked #2 of 3 Hotels in Lucea
Mirfield, England, United Kingdom
“An ok place to stay.”
Reviewed 6 June 2014 via mobile

All previous comments were valid and we seemed to experience them all. Total confusion when we arrived. We had two rooms one of which smelt awful. However we were moved and then got on with our holiday and had a great time. Restaurants were all open and food was excellent. Pools were clean although the main pool was a bit too noisy with all the activities etc.Staff in general were a bit miserable but did do their jobs but a noticeable difference in the restaurants where the staff seemed to enjoy their jobs as well. Maybe that was the expected tips not sure but there was a definite improvement in attitudes in the restaurants. Maintenance staff were really chatty and always went out of their way to say hi in particular Andy Williams the painter . All in all a great holiday was had.This would suit families well with children but if all adults I would suggest stay well out of school holiday dates.

• Stayed May 2014
2 Thank Julie W
FiestaJamaica, Manager at Grand Palladium Jamaica Resort & Spa, responded to this review, 19 June 2014
Dear Julie W,

Thank you for sharing with us your review. We appreciate the time which you have taken to bring to our attention the pros and cons of your vacation experience here at the Grand Palladium Jamaica. We are overall pleased that you and your family enjoyed your overall stay with us.

We are grateful for your positive comments about the accommodations, the delicious meals and the dining experience at our a la carte restaurants.

We look forward to your visit in the near future as it was our pleasure hosting you on this visit. Until then, best wishes.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,776)
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
  • Slovak first
  • Turkish first
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 5 June 2014 via mobile

I stayed here mid May, albeit on the Lady Hamilton side but seeing as this page is used more often and all the facilities are shared I thought I would post my review here.

I wont go on too much about the room but we had a junior suite which was a great room. I have read some reviews of people moaning about small tears in the mosquito nets for the door and small cracks in bathroom tiles... do people really expect and hotel to replace a whole door net for a small tear or re tile a bathroom because of a small and non dangerous crack in a tile... get over it, you're on holiday not buying the place!

Check in was smooth, not much more to say about it.

Wi-Fi in the lobby was always reliable, plenty of seating around there but the only thing I woukd say if you are using the wifi, try not sitting on the stairs as some of the elderly guests need to use the hand rail to get up and down these stairs and people sat all the way up and down the sides really isnt helpful to them!

Went to all but the Mexican restaurants, all of them served great food. We had 5 course meals each time we visited a restaurant and there was a good variety of fish, meat and vegetarian options. Steakhouse was by far the best, although we did wait for 45 minutes to get a table but we knew it was going to be like that so wasnt too fussed.

The one down side to the restaurants is definitely the trousers only rule for us guys. I think it would be greatly appreciated if the management rethink this as it doesnt really make sense. Im sure a quick survey of the guests would show an overwhelming choice to scrap this rule and it really isnt going to lower the tone of the hotel, still say sleeved tops only but shorts are a must.

Infinity bar is fantastic!! The atmosphere can be great when the right people are drinking up here. Luckily for us there were quite a few weddings going on so quite a few people dancing away after a few drinks and the reggae bands were brilliant, particularly the young girl singer and her band. Had a really good steel band playing a couple of nights but every band I saw was awesome to be fair. I was up here most night of my 2 week holiday and the table service was by far the best I have ever experienced on an all inclusive holiday. The girls work very hard to get around everyone as quickly as possible and I couldnt fault them at all. Tipped a dollar or 2 each time and it was definitely appreciated but not expected. There were a couple of times that we would be chatting away and forgot to tip but they didnt hold it against you and continued to top you up. Even remembered what we drank and bought our drinks over without ordering as soon as we sat down most nights.

I do agree sonewhat with some reviews that say the nightly shows can be a bit tedious. Don't get me wrong, the entertainers involved in the shows were fantastic and very talented but I would prefer either these shows trimmed down to 3 times a week or at least continue the bands up in the infinity bar for those who want to give the show a miss.

Was good to have the nightclub open up from 11 if you wanted to carry on partying, I did hear few grumbles (and agree) that if the music wad a bit more varied and they through in some 80/90's dance floor tunes then they may get more people dancing away. The constant stream of heavy rnb songs did put alot of people off coming back which was a problem when some nights there were only a handful of people in the club.

Sunset Cove was awesome. A great little hideaway that never get too busy. Went out on the free boats and was good fun.

Before I write too much about the entertainment team, I want to say they were brilliant. Every single one of them worked so hard to get people involved in the daytime stuff and in particular Happy and Sunshine were so funny. But all of them were great. There is only so much that they can do when only 1 percent of the guests want to involve themselves, they worked all day long and never lost their smiles or fun factor! Great asset to the hotel.

Pool was one of the biggest I have been in, pool bar was handy but the people who decided to grab a seat and stay there all day got on my nerves. Luckily I wernt too fused about getting drinks from there but I did see some people waiting ages to squeeze into the queue simply because people took up all the space. Selfish and annoying but not really the hotels fault.

Sports Bar was a good place to pop in amd grab some quick food during the day. Got quite hot at times but your in jamaica so guess what.. its going to be hot! Help yourself snacks and ice cream and nachos, went in there most nights in the early hours after drinking and grabbed a burger and chips, if only the UK Had this!! :)

Buffets were absolutely fine, huge variety every day, some days they had some awesome choices, some of the soups were better than I have eaten at expensive restaurants in paris.. and im not joking! Fresh made to order omlettes at breakfast and fresh pastas at lunch as well as another 15 options if you wanted something different. Cant complain 1 bit.

Beach looked man made but they have done a great job of it. A very nice looking beach both at the main pool and sunset cove. Watched the sunset a couple of nights and got some nice photos.

From my experience on my 2 week holiday, the bar staff were really really good. I cant understand people moaning about waiting times or bar staff attitudes, I would say 1 trip to the bar out of 10 might be a little bit of a wait if it was busy but certainly no worse than the UK or the US. Every bar in the world has busy spells but why people whinge and moan in reviews is beyond me.

And touching on other negative reviews that I have read on here, I cant say enough times that they must either be royalty and used to being waited on hand and foot or they are crazy. I have never been to a hotel where I have been served in 0.1 seconds and I never will because thats stupid. Nothing about this hotel let me down, I chatted to quite a few different people from different countries and paid a similar price if not more and I have no problem with what I paid and what I got for my money. If I went to book this again next year and it was £500 more for the 2 weeks, I wouldnt hesitate because I definitely got value for money.

It's a shame that the staff here cant write their own reviews on guests because I saw some guests behave embarrassingly. Speaking to the staff like dirt, moaning about the most pathetic things and it was cringey to hear them at times. Get over yourselves and enjoy the jamaican culture.

Ive probably forgotten loads of things that I wanted to mention when I thought about writing a review for this place but if you are a normal human being with a good sense of humour then you will love this place.

I will definitely come bacm and have already recommended this place to friends.

Stayed May 2014, travelled with friends
19 Thank ox1987
Dear ox1987,

Thank you for sharing your review about your recent vacation here with us. We appreciate your positive comments and we are pleased to read about the wonderful time and experiences that you have had.

As a 5 Star Resort we pride ourselves in the level of service which we provide to our guests. It is important that our guests have a grand vacation and it is great to know that you enjoyed all that we have to offer.

It was our pleasure hosting you and we welcome you to visit again in the near future for another vacation nothing short of Grand!
New York City, New York
Reviewed 5 June 2014

Stayed for 7 nights and before I booked I checked the reviews and saw some very negative things that had me worried. If looking to book or have booked worry not, those negative reviews must be from negative people cause this place was good. It is not 5 star and no one will be delivering your drinks while pool side so pay the extra thousands to stay at a resort with that if that’s what you want. Truly comical with one reviewer here complaining about the thickness of his steak at the steak house, stay home if something like that is a concern cause get this when you go to the beach you will get sand on you and when going into the pool or water you get wet..

Been to a few Caribbean islands and of the all-inclusive this was the best food we had and we are foodies from Manhattan. It of course is no Le Bernardin, but it is good food compared to other all-inclusives.

Drinks are weak, but unlimited and ask for a shot to make it stronger or drink beer and it will get the job done.

Staff for the most part are very nice, but as in all jobs some may be having a bad day and can come off a little rude, but to be nice 24/7 is impossible… Someone is rude say no problem and ask someone else, def find a happy worker to help.

Always something going on which is great and tons of options. Can eat at 6 different places and we tried the Asian, Jamaican, Italian, and Mexican and all were good. No reservations which is a pain at other all-inclusive were you have to wake up at 9am usually to sign up, here its first come first serve (can reserve at certain wrist band levels though too) while you wait there is a bar, relax with a drink. If starving go to the buffet.

At night the POP shows are good, better than any other island shows I’ve seen. Want to dance club is opening till 2am and so is the bar.

Only negatives would actually be some of the other tourists, people get sloppy drunk, but place is big enough to avoid those types. Very clean as well, I have a phobia of water bugs/cockroaches and saw none which in every other island I’ve been too I have seen walking around, not here. I even went to Bora Bora for my honeymoon and saw them there, but not here, and that trip to Bora Bora was 10 times the cost of this trip. Room was clean and AC worked great, even had to turn it off at night cause got to cold, but no AC in the restaurants.

Sadly the reason I will never go back is the beaches, they are not very good. Pool is great, but I do not travel to an island for a pool I love the beach and this place is lacking in that. I love to snorkel and this place is awful for that unless you pay for a snorkel trip.. But even with that said I was able to see a sting ray 20 feet off the Sunset cove beach, of the three beaches they have that one is the best. Bring water shoes. If still looking for were to go and want a beach check out the Negril resorts. If booked, no worries you’ll have a great time.

Room Tip: Upgrade to an ocean view room for $10 a night more or a bungalow for $30.
8 Thank Corin C
Greetings!

We have read your reviews and was very happy to know that you had such a great time while you were on vacation with us at Grand Palladium Resort & Spa. Most of all we are happy that you enjoyed the overall facility.

We really appreciate the time you have taken to write to us and share your reviews as this will help us to improve our product and services.

We look forward to your return visit on your next vacation.

Best wishes
Workington, United Kingdom
Reviewed 5 June 2014

This hotel is stunning.however, the service defiantly needs to be improved drastically. The al a carte reset rants were excellent but the general food places were terrible.took us 15 mins. To get a cup then another 15 for coffe then another 15 for milk . I lost the will to live many a morning.,our clothes often felt damp and moist. But think that was the weather. Won't be returning to grand hotels again , will stick with iberostar in future . They really no how to treat customers . When you pay 5 star prices you expect 5 star treatment . Really sad because the hotel is stunning.

Room Tip: Block 25 near all amenities or 11 in Jamaica Side
1 Thank Kathryn G
New York
Reviewed 5 June 2014

The resort was larger than I had thought. You have have to walk a lot or be prepared to wait for a shuttle. There is no lobby bar, but there is an infinity bar with premium liquor and music at night. The food was good, however, no air conditioning in the restaurants and men had to wear long pants. The beaches are beautiful, but no bar or wait staff at the sunset cove beach. You had to go up and down a flight of stairs for drinks. The pool bar was in the sun all day, no shade. There was usually one 1 bartender and he didn't seem too happy. The staff is hit or miss with their friendliness. We also said hello when passing, but only received responses some of the time. There was 1 girl at the salad bar, I think her name was Anida. It was Italian night at the buffet and she was extremely friendly and pleasant. Our room was in Villa 12, thankfully not too far from pool or restaurants, but far enough from the beach. The hotel is so big, it is hard for the entertainment staff to get to know you. Also, we had no idea of what events where being held at the pool or at night. Also, air conditioning in rooms could have been better.

Room Tip: Ask for a Villa close to pool, if you don't want too walk much.
Carlisle, Pennsylvania
Reviewed 4 June 2014

The Grand Palladium resort was much better than I expected. I was there with my 22 year old daughter for 4 nights in late May 2014. Some highlights.
-The hotel is only 40 minutes from the airport which is great. There is however nowhere to go outside of the resort. It is literally in the middle of nowhere so if you want to get off the resort you have to book some kind of trip. It didn't even seem that there were taxis. The nearby town (Lucea) is NOT charming (despite what it says on the website) and not a destination.
-The food was much better than I expected. The a la carte restaurants were terrific with excellent bars (better than the beach bars). You can go as many times as you want. You cannot take food out of any restaurants and there is no food at any of the beach bars (except lunch at the Jerk Hut). So food is plenty but snacks are not.
-The beaches were much better than I thought and had excellent snorkeling. Make sure to bring your own mask and snorkel. Although the website says that it is available for free it is not really. You can borrow it for a $25 cash deposit only (which I literally did not have), only for 45 min, and only swim in one tiny area of one beach.
-The inside spaces are all air conditioned but are definitely warmer that one would expect for inside spaces (compared to what you would be used to in the US). Not hot but not exactly cool either. In the room we had a couple of warmish nights until we figured out to leave the A/C on with one of the key cards. The gym was nice but impossibly hot to use for exercise (I thought I was going to have a heat stroke).
-The stores have snacks, alcohol, souvenirs, clothes, toiletries, etc. at prices you would expect in an expensive resort. The spa prices are also quite high.
-The room was terrific. It was well worth the $10 per night upgrade to get a ocean front room. The resort is HUGE and our hotel was at one end. Be prepared to do a lot of walking.

Room Tip: Well worth it to pay $10 more a night to upgrade to the ocean-front room.
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled with family
4 Thank MarieHL_11
Greetings!

Thank you for taking the time to share your review based off your recent stay here at the Grand Palladium Jamaica. We are elated that you have enjoyed your vacation and all that our Resort has to offer. We are grateful for your positive comments about the accommodations, the delicious meals and the competent service received from our staff.

Houston, Texas
Reviewed 4 June 2014

My daughter had her wedding here on last week. We stayed 7 days and had a great time. The best part....the staff! They were absolutely amazing. Everyone was super friendly and nice. Food was also great! Loved it and plan to try another Palladium resort!

• Stayed May 2014, travelled with family
2 Thank Tara W
FiestaJamaica, Manager at Grand Palladium Jamaica Resort & Spa, responded to this review, 13 June 2014
Greetings Tara W,

Thank you for sharing your review based off your last vacation experience here at the Grand Palladium Jamaica. We are pleased that you thoroughly enjoyed all that our Resort has to offer, from the luxurious accommodations to the delicious meals which were had. We are also elated to know that we were chosen to host such a memorable event . We welcome your return in the future as it was our pleasure hosting you on your last stay. Until then, best wishes from our Palladium Family!
Also consider these accommodations in or near Lucea
Hilton Rose Hall Resort & Spa
Grand Palladium Lady Hamilton Resort & Spa
Hotel Riu Montego Bay
Hotel Riu Montego Bay
#1 of 1 in Ironshore
Iberostar Rose Hall Beach Hotel
Holiday Inn Resort Montego Bay
Iberostar Rose Hall Suites

Been to Grand Palladium Jamaica Resort & Spa? Share your experiences!