“Not 5 Star”

Grand Palladium Jamaica Resort & Spa
Ranked #2 of 3 Hotels in Lucea
Reviewed 27 August 2014 via mobile

We are sitting in the pool side bar on our last day writing this.
Upon arrival our check in was fairly fast, however it wasn't very busy. We didn't receive a welcome cocktail, but saw that others did on some days.
We got to our room and there were no hand towels and the minibar had two cans of soda. This was quickly rectified once we informed reception, however we would have expected this to have been checked prior to our arrival.
Housekeeping was not great, toiletries were not replenished and the floor wasn't cleaned.
Our room also had a leak by the aircon unit so we left a towel on the floor permanently, we thought housekeeping would report and rectify this, instead they just placed a fresh towel on the floor to catch the water!
The food was "ok".
This was a holiday joke for us, all the restaurants were mediocre with varied levels of service - some good, some bad. Many of the staff seem disinterested.
The best restaurants were Indian, Creole and Steak House.
The Sports Bar was good (24 hour) but only opened for one day of our holiday and services transferred to the Poseidon due to refurbishments.
On the last day of our holiday we went to the Poseidon for a late lunch....
The restaurant was about half full. We waited 10 mins and weren't seated so we sat down and found a menu. We then waited 45 mins before a waitress came over to take our order. We were then advised that we needed to speak to the chef as the kitchen was no longer serving food. We were a little confused and frustrated as they were meant to serve for an hour longer. We then spoke to the chef and he reluctantly said he was still serving. Some guests nearby told us that they had waited for 2 hours for their food to arrive. According to the waitress the kitchen were not happy to be serving the same food as the Sports Bar and it showed by the chaos.
Water Sports....
The Tubing and Banana Boats were broken so not available. The Kayaks, Pedallos and Paddle Boards were all first come, first serve. You had to hover near the shore to grab them as there was no queuing system.
The beaches are very rocky and quite small. The infinity pool was very nice.
We got slightly annoyed when constantly being asked whether we had been given our welcome pack or if we wanted spa treatments. We understood you had to listen to a presentation and you got a discount at the spa. We really weren't interested and resented the hassling and pushy nature of the staff.
We would be concerned if we were here in high season as they seemed to struggle with a half full hotel in low season.
If we came back to Jamaica we wouldn't stay here again.

Stayed: August 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Rupert C
FiestaJamaica, Manager at Grand Palladium Jamaica Resort & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded 29 August 2014

Dear Rupert C:

Thank you for taking the time to share with us your review about your stay here at the Grand Palladium Jamaica. We have read your review thoroughly and have made note of your comments about those areas which fell short of meeting your expectations.

While we are pleased that you enjoyed dining at the Indian, Creole and Steak House restaurants we regret that you did not favor all our menu items and that the service received from some of our staff was not up to our usual standards. We will see to it that more attention is paid to customer service in our regular training sessions. Also we will ensure that corrective action is taken to rectify the issues outlined.

We would love to be given the opportunity of hosting you again in the future so that you may have a vacation nothing short of Grand experiencing the improvement that will be made. Feel free to contact us if there is anything further we can assist with from this end.

Best Wishes

Write a ReviewReviews (7,166)

Reviewed 27 August 2014

I went in February for a bachelorette this hotel is great and I would go back

Pros: lots of entertainment, great food, beautiful beaches, huge pool, large rooms and pretty good drinks

Cons: the food is great but seems like there's lasts nights left overs for breakfast, you need to bring your own cup if not you'll be back and forth a lot to the bar my room had a moldy smell and after a few days I couldn't even sleep and was coughing a lot. Some staff just don't care and will ignore yoU. Really long wait for food at the sports bar
I read a lot of reviews before I went to this hotel and a lot of what people say is true but it's really not enough to ruin your stay if your planning on being at the beach and enjoying yourself I would definetly go back to this hotel overall it's a great place

• Stayed: February 2014
1  Thank Jaynisaa
FiestaJamaica, Manager at Grand Palladium Jamaica Resort & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded 2 September 2014

Dear Jaynisaa:

Thank you for taking the time to share your reviews with us. We were delighted to hear about the wonderful time you had and we were very pleased to know that your overall experience went well. However, while we strive for a perfect vacation we sincerely regret the cons you have outlined and we apologize for any inconvenience caused. Rest assured that your concerns were not taken lightly and that corrective action will be taken

We really appreciate the time you have taken to write to us and share your reviews as this will help us to improve our product and services.

We look forward to your return visit so that we can make it another grand vacation experience.

Best wishes,

Reviewed 26 August 2014

We stayed at the Grand Palladium Resort (not the lady hamilton)
Just like everyone else - I checked the reviews before choosing this resort for my husband and I for our anniversary - and of course like any other review - you will have the off ones and who were not satisfied with certain things - but again it all depends on what your expectations really are.
Just a little overview of us: Married couple In our 30s - wanted a relaxed vacation - with a pool/beach - good food - good music to go dancing. We are laid back and make the best of everything.

Rooms: I was VERY impressed with how big, clean and nice the rooms were - we had a standard room and did not ask for anything grand (since we weren't going to spend much time in the room) and it was beyond our expectations - we stayed in villa 21 which was about a 5 minute to the reception/pool/main area - we figured since we will be indulging in lots of food - the walk would be a good exercise :) - and it was actually a nice walk with great scenery so we didn't mind at all. Everything worked in our room - water pressure was fine, room was always cleaned, towels were always replenished - and I am not sure what smell people are talking about? We did not experience such a thing - I mean it didn't smell like roses but there was no bad "odor" in our room at all....maybe other rooms had that?

Food: There is so much variety of food at this resort - that even if you don't end up liking food from one of the buffet's there is always some other buffet you can go to OR the sports bar! We ate the Jerk Chicken at the sports bar almost DAILY! it was by far the best jerk chicken - even better than the beach jerk hut they have (btw the sports bar is open 24hrs, and they have a great variety of food there - the burger was pretty amazing too and the patties!). We also did a couple of the a la carte - service was great! Food was good - I will not say it was amazing because I am used to spice and lots of flavor - which at times lacked at the restaurants, BUT again they have so much to choose from that you can't go wrong - you WILL end up liking something and being full and satisfied afterwards.
AC? I get you're in a hot place but isn't that the whole reason why you are in Jamaica to begin with - there was no problem with the AC anywhere! - it was comfortable for me and my husband. Again I prefer to be warm than cold - so that may be personal choice - but definitely not one to complain about? Jump in the pool then :) Just saying...

Kids resort? When I was researching which resort to go to - one of the reasons why I choose this resort because there weren't many kids activities - which again was our preference as we didn't want to be surrounded by SO many kids on our anniversary.
There were kids/families there though, but it was never a problem since kids love the pool and the pool was so huge that they would stay in the shallow end while adults would swim around the pool bar area - it was completely fine - although I probably would not recommend this resort if you want a more family/kids resort - I would say it is more of a couples/friends resort.

Wifi: only in reception area - which to us was COMPLETELY fine since it was nice not to have our phones with us - except to take pictures.

Staff: They are very nice - you get to know them and they will make sure you have a great time - give them some slack, like I said they are only human and they actually will assist you with whatever you need - but of course the way you ask them is important - if I was asked to do something in a rude manner - I wouldn't care to be nice back. Be nice, give them a break and they will help you with anything! We even made friends with some of the workers and can't wait to come back and see them again!

Tipping: we made sure we had tipping money as we like to appreciate the workers there - so if you're on a budget, plan out for some tip money - again they never ask or make you feel like you HAVE to tip - but you just want to because they are sincerely nice people who try to make your trip worth it - every time we would be walking - not one worker didn't stop to hi - always a smile on their face! It was nice to see

Boogie Woogie Club: My husband and I LOVE to dance - and boy was this club happening every night! we went the disco 2 nights (Friday night and Sunday night) and the music was the most recent songs you will hear anywhere else - majority of the music was hip hop, reggae, soca, top 40. That was more than enough for us - we would decide to leave the club than hear the next song come on and go back in! SO much fun! lots of room to dance - people are great!

Excursions: We only ended up doing the Rick's Cafe/Negril/Shopping excursions - we booked through Air Canada Vacations - which was located on the lower level under reception area - I believe it was $25/pp US - it is a day trip - you spend 3 hours in Negril on the beach - which was just amazing! head to shopping at their little markets afterwards (bargain! you can get a good deal - get their Jamaican Jerk Sauce - Walkerswood is the best brand) try to get these at the grocery store(which you will stop at when they take you to the two shopping places - they are cheaper there - it was too late for us as we bargained at one of the smaller shops and managed to get 4 bottles for $23 - we thought we got a great deal until we saw the same jerk sauce for $3 each at the grocery store - ah well - after shopping you make your way to Rick's Cafe to relax and chill out and watch the divers dive into the water - which you could also do as well - so bring your swim suits and towels for this - then you get a chance to the sunset over the water - beautiful - unfortunately for us - there was 10 minutes left till sunset than a huge cloud came in the way and we weren't able to see it :( but all in all it was a great experience.
Another excursion that we wanted to do was Dunns River - we just didn't have enough time for this one as we were enjoying the resort itself - but will definitely do this next time.

Beach: In all honesty - we didn't really feel the need to go to the beach at the resort since we got plenty of it in Negril - 7 mile beach. Water shoes at the resort beach is definitely necessary (even though the hubby didn't mind the rocks - I just personally don't like stepping into rocks or whatever else is in the beach water - although it was pretty clear water) We spent majority of our time at the HUGE pool this resort has! That was more than enough for us!

Pool: This pool is by far the most amazing pool I have experienced in all my all inclusive Caribbean trips (Cuba, Dominican, Mexico) This pool is clean, had beach chairs inside the water, workout bicycles inside the water if you want to do some exercise. It was the best part of our trip really! (remember we went to relax)

Pool Party - Let me tell you how much fun this pool party was! Again, in order to make our trip worth it - we included ourselves in everything - the music was awesome! I was on top of the bar at one point just dancing away! It was just a fun party - the entertainers are so great! You are bound to have a fun time at the pool party.
They also have so many games you can participate in - my hubby did a drinking competition which was hilarious.

Drinks: I had so many drinks that unfortunately I don't remember the names for it - I like my drinks fruity and strong and that's all I would say to the bartender and they would make me a new drink that tasted AH-MAY-ZING every time!

Towels: never a problem - we would call to reception and the maid would be at the door with towels within 20 minutes - again take into consideration on weekends they are probably VERY busy and it may take them some time to get you the towels - but hey to me that is totally understandable - Don't be SO picky - they are humans too!

Shows: Their shows are just amazing - so entertaining and funny! We were invited to do an adult competition show and had the most amazing time doing it - again - so out of my comfort zone to go up in front of people and do crazy fun things - but that was our whole point for going on vacation - let loose and have fun! That was an awesome night!

Tid Bits:
US Cash - if you go shopping in the little shops - some of them will give you back Jamaican money - so make sure you bring small bills
Water shoes - if you're not a fan of rocks - however in my preference since we REALLY wanted to go to the 7 mile beach - I would recommend taking this excursion for $25/pp and go to Negril beach - at least you get to experience the beach that everyone talks about in Jamaica.
SUNSCREEN!
Camera! - this resort had the most amazing sunset views - it was unbelievable - especially since the resort looks so grand

I think that's about all I can recall at this moment - if anyone has any questions - feel free to ask!
We loved this resort - and is definitely worth going here! Go with the flow, be laid back, don't be so picky! The workers really do try hard to make sure you are taken care of and if you come across the odd worker that doesn't do that great - not everyone's perfect! Move on and don't let it ruin your trip.

Hope that helped! We will DEFINITELY be back to see our friends again :)

Room Tip: We stayed at Villa 21 - 3rd floor (no elevators) and was not noisy at all - 5 min walk to reception...
  • Stayed: August 2014, travelled as a couple
23  Thank milly a
FiestaJamaica, Manager at Grand Palladium Jamaica Resort & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded 27 August 2014

Dear milly a:

Thank you for sharing your review about your recent vacation here with us. We appreciate your positive comments and we are pleased to read about the wonderful time you have had and the memorable experiences.

Being a 5 Star Resort we pride ourselves in the level of service which we provide to our guests. It is important to us that our guests have a great vacation and it is a delight to know that you enjoyed all that we have to offer.

It was our pleasure hosting you and we welcome you to visit again in the near future for another vacation nothing short of Grand!

Reviewed 26 August 2014

My wife and I have never experienced anything as wonderful as this before, and for several reasons we will be back to the Grand Palladium. The first and most important reason is the unbelievable staff. Literally everybody was very friendly in a most sincere way. It seems to me that they must be hired based on their personality traits and willingness to smile. The first impression is always the most important, and that role was performed in a most admirable manner by Collington who greeted us at the Negril Restaurant. We were not just given a table to sit, but were escorted and seated. It's difficult to remember everybody. Collington was great and gave us hugs when we were leaving to come back home; He was a great conversationalist and an excellent manager too! Ask him were is best to dine, and he is ready to make you a reservation at any of the Restaurant. The ride from the Montego Bay airport is almost 30 mins long, and the seats in the busses are cramped. Some of the other guests were inconsiderate in being very noisy late at night also. We went to Ocho Rios during the day for a couple hours to experience the "real" Jamaica, which of course wasn't the "real" Jamaica-just the tourist stores, but we were provided a bus with a driver from the Resort who escorted us everywhere and gave us advice on where to buy stuff. This service was at an extra cost, but very reasonable. This resort advertises "all-inclusive" which we were skeptical of, but it really is all-inclusive. The food was out of this world, and lots of it. The bars all opened up at 10:00 AM and stayed open until very late. Never any indication of any limits on anything. We were with family, including one four year old granddaughter. We got to experience Jamaica's Independence Day celebration which was very cool and very beautiful! Every day there was something different and fun to do. My wife and I renewed our wedding vows in the Carribean Ocean too!

• Stayed: August 2014, travelled with family
5  Thank Dave F

Greetings Dave F!

Thank you for taking the time to share your review based off your recent stay here at the Grand Palladium Jamaica. We are elated that you have enjoyed your vacation and all that our Resort has to offer. We are grateful for your positive comments about the accommodations, the delicious meals and the competent service received from our staff.

As a 5 Star Resort we pride ourselves in the level of service which we provide to our guests. It is important that our guests have a grand vacation and it is great to know that you enjoyed all that we have to offer.

It was our pleasure hosting you and we welcome you to visit again in the near future. Please feel free to contact us if there is anything that we can do from this end. Until your next stay, best wishes from our Palladium Family.

Reviewed 26 August 2014

My husband and I chose the Grand Palladium to celebrate our 5th year anniversary and it was a fantastic choice. This resort was awesome....great food, great service and awesome activities. This was a Great choice!!!

Room Tip: Rooms were beautiful
  • Stayed: August 2014, travelled as a couple
7  Thank toniford

Greetings toniford:

Thank you for taking the time to share with us your review. We are pleased that we were your Resort of choice to celebrate you 5th wedding anniversary! It is delightful that you enjoyed all our property has to offer and that your expectations were met. It was our pleasure hosting you and we would love to be given the opportunity of doing the same in the future.

Best regards,

Reviewed 26 August 2014

We read the comments before we left the UK and were a little wary of staying here.... but what we were very pleased indeed! We had a brilliant holiday there! The staff were really friendly (not so much in the main shop), we engaged in conversation with everyone around the complex and were treated respectfully and in a friendly manner. Maybe, it's how the guests treat the hard-working staff is the issue?
We have been coming to Jamaica for many years and feel that this hotel needs to be defended against all those negative people who enjoy ranting about the most insignificant things! For example, "The noise of the indigenous creatures at night " was a problem, also questioned, "were they for real or a recording"? REALLY?
Or, the hilarious, "the room wasn't available for 3 hours, it ruined the whole day"???!! Was it during this time that the ‘complainer’ compiled the negative rant, as they had nothing else to do?
We have experienced some holidays were we needed to change rooms, or the electricity was off, or there was a lack of water for 20 minutes but some problems do occur in hotels and there may be frustrations, but do yourself a favour- remember you are on holiday and it’s up to you to deal with the situation, give it time and trust that those who are trying to rectify the situation are doing their best!
We ate in every restaurant available, and if one was very busy, (e.g., on Independence Day), we ate somewhere else on the complex. My husband needs a Gluten Free diet as he has Coeliac, and was given a card to show the server at the table. The level of understanding, training in this area and helpfulness was outstanding! We cannot praise all of these people enough!
Over and above recognition should go to the young Chef in the Indian restaurant, for his exceptional care and attention, and the Pattisier/Pastry Chef, who was mostly at the Buffet Restaurants, who was so accommodating and keen to please, one evening, even personally delivering dessert to my husband in the Mexican Restaurant, as there was no gluten free option on the menu. You guys are amazing!
This thoughtful and understanding service was what we found to be the norm at the Palladium and as well as the cleanliness everywhere, approachability of all staff, standard of the buildings/décor/grounds, made for a brilliant time at this hotel!
Message to the management, please praise your servers, cleaners admin staff, entertainment, bar staff, gardeners etc, on our behalf! It is very much appreciated. Thanks to Hyacinth, an amazing Thomson Rep, you are a star!

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple
7  Thank Nick B

Greetings Nick B:

Thank you for sharing your review about your recent vacation here with us. We appreciate your positive comments and we are pleased to read about the wonderful time and experiences that you have had.

Reviewed 26 August 2014

The food was consistently good, waiting area at the restaurants do not have air conditioner. if you enjoy hot humid temperature even while your waiting to be seated for dinner, this is the place to go. The rooms were big, however, there was a bad odor, we complained and were moved to another room but the odor was the same, it seems like the humidity was causing the bad mold odor.

I choose to stay at this hotel because of the kids club, however, the staff did not seem interested in having kids there, I asked many questions about the activities and was given a simple "look at the schedule that was left in your room"....... we like to travel with our 8yr old son, we also enjoy being able to leave him where he can be entertained for a few hours. For this reason, we will not consider this hotel for future vacations.

Pros: food, pool, room size, kayaking, pedal boats, snorkeling, sports bar (open 24hrs)
Cons: Kids Club, Man made beach, no room service,

I recommend, all inclusive hotels in Punta Cana, Dominican Republic, best service from all the resorts we have visited. to name a few: Hard Rock, Paradisus, Esmeralda.

• Stayed: August 2014, travelled with family
2  Thank Esther P

Greetings Esther P:

Thank you for taking the time to share your reviews with us. We appreciate your positive comments about the delicious meals had throughout your stay and the daily activities that we have on property. However, while we strive for a perfect vacation we sincerely regret the mishaps you have outlined in regards of your room and your experience at the Kid's Cove. Rest assured that your comments have been noted and corrective action will be taken.

Best wishes,

Also consider these accommodations in or near Lucea
Hilton Rose Hall Resort & Spa
#11 of 63 in Montego Bay
Hyatt Ziva Rose Hall
Hyatt Ziva Rose Hall
#3 of 6 in Rose Hall

Been to Grand Palladium Jamaica Resort & Spa? Share your experiences!