“Not bad if you aren't fussy” 3 of 5 bubbles
Review of Grand Palladium Jamaica Resort & Spa

Grand Palladium Jamaica Resort & Spa
Ranked #2 of 3 Hotels in Lucea
ohio
“Not bad if you aren't fussy”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 June 2009

My husband and I and another couple just returned from the GP - Lady Hamilton. We are not big time world travelers but have been to a few all inclusives and I think we all would give this resort a "C". Why? Well, it's a gorgeous resort but it appears that it was constructed in a hurry and for being only a year old, it was in disrepair. Examples: yes-the pool tiles are missing in many places and this can cause injury, the room and restaurant air conditioning never really gets cool, the crickets start chirping about 6 PM and continue through the entire night until about 7 AM. Thankfully, they haven't been killed off but definitely bring ear plugs if you are a light sleeper. After all, their territory was invaded! The nightly entertainment is always the same - loud and the same beat. Items are very overpriced in the gift shop so bring all the necessities such as toothpaste, mouthwash, suntan lotion, etc. On the plus side - food is really pretty decent. And, yes, the jerk chicken at Sunset Cove is wonderful. Sunset Cove is amazing if you like the beach. Lots of non-motorized things to do without paying extra. Staff was very friendly and tried to be accommodating. If you treat people with respect, you will be treated likewise. They are very hard working - 6 days/week with one day off. Leave housekeeping a couple of dollars a day and they will make sure you have towels, a clean bathroom and room as well. We asked and received extra towels one day with no problem, mon. The Jamaican people are genuinely happy and love to show their country off to tourists. Being able to afford a Caribbean vacation is a luxury and we surely don't take any of it for granted. So if you do get the chance to go there, enjoy every minute. We live in Ohio so, hopefully, the beautiful memories of Jamaica will get us through those long, dark and cold months ahead! I will add some photos on my next visit to Trip Advisor.

1 Thank thesabs

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,755)
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
  • Slovak first
  • Turkish first
south florida
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 June 2009

From check in to check out of the Grand Palladium was nothing but a dream come true. What a perfect short stay at a truly great hotel. I read all the reviews and decided to plunge ahead and I am so truly happy I did. I went with a positive attitude and it must have showed because I was upgraded to a suite with two balconies - heaven. Nice, and clean and breathtaking compared to where we just spent three days (we split our trip between the Palm Resort, Negril and here). Let me say that I am an AI virgin, GP being my first AI experience and I think I am hooked. This hotel is gorgeous and fun. I feel sorry for the people who experienced anything out of the normal here. They should not sleep on the same of the bed because I cannot honestly say one bad thing about this place. My one wish was about the beach. Does not compare to Negril but hey, we just made the best of it. I did not have to wear any rubber slippers. I just avoided the rocky part which was just a little part of the main beach. I cannot believe some of the reviews and am wondering if it is the same place.
Bottomline is go with a positive attitude. Do not spend your time trying to find cracked tiles and chipping paint on walls. That is not what a vacation is all about

1 Thank tussle
Pittsburgh
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 June 2009

BACKGROUND - Just returned from GP Jamaica and since I used this website both in making and preparing for our trip, I felt obliged to post our experience. My husband and I are in our late 20s and have traveled fairly extensively both with our families and together. We have cruised, stayed at All-Inclusives, and fine hotels; however, we are simple people. We tend to eat at chain restaurants and we do not expect top notch service for every detail. So please keep in mind, while we might have travel experience, we are not people who enjoy the highest end products or the finest dining experience. If we were looking for absolute luxury, we would have stayed at a known location for that type of experience.

ROOM - We emailed ahead of time and requested an upper floor room with an oceanview in one of several buildings. We got a second floor, 1 bedroom, in building 26 on the Lady Hamilton side and ABSOLUTELY could not have been happier with this location. The room was enormous, the view from both balconies was fantastic, and the location was close to everything. I got to know the layout of the resort because I went running every morning. I think I would have been OK with any of the buildings on the LH side because they all had benefits (as well as negatives) to their locations. Building 26, for instance, was near the activities center so there was some noise. It never bothered me, and I often sat on the balcony reading before dinner. It also seemed that the LH side was laid out so that more rooms would have an oceanview. We never had issues with maid service or re-stocking of the bar. The fridge and coffee pot are tucked away in a cabinet. I thought the in-room coffee was great. Very strong! We tipped daily. Some days we got washclothes, some days none. That minute detail certainly did not make a difference in our vacation. AC was inconsistent - sometimes it was too cold and others we could barely tell it was on. The fan helped and I never had a problem sleeping (then again, I never do).

INTERNET - Because we were so close to the lobby, I used the lobby WiFi daily to log into work. I rarely had any problems - I found if I was on the second floor, it was a faster connection. Maybe twice I got booted off for a connection problem, but this was a minor issue. I took it as fate that I was done working for the day.

FOOD - I am a vegetarian and my husband is "picky." The breakfast buffets were great with a nice variety daily - especially the juices and milks. My husband often had a "pre-lunch" at the sports cafe and really enjoyed their club sandwich. The lunch buffet was not my favorite - by the end of the week I was tired of the same old food, but that is mostly due to my diet, not the variety available. Trust me, I did not go hungry! Dinners were great - we did a different a la carte until our last two nights and repeated our favorites - Italian and Bubba's. We also enjoyed the Indian restaraunt - you must have Clive as your waiter and trust him with your order. We had a very fun evening with him. The only wait we had was on the last night at Bubba's and then we just went to the bar to enjoy the sunset. We tended to eat around 6:30-7PM. I would put the dining on par with your typical Olive Garden type experience - which as stated previously, is fine by me. I don't think you get a true fine dining at an all-inclusive - you'd be paying far more than your per night fee for that type of meal! We brought plastic cups for drinks and that was better than the small cups. I am not picky about liquor or type of drink - I tried something new almost every day. Rum punch was a good stand by. My husband does not drink alcohol and he enjoyed the "innocent passion" although it was made differently at every bar. We tipped after almost every service, but we didn't see many others doing this. I didn't get the impression that it would have made a difference in service. We brought $100 in 1s and spent all of that.

POOLS - We visited the main pool several days. It is enormous. There was always an available chair with shade. Yes, the tiles are coming off. It didn't seem dangerous, but I have no idea how the hotel will get that situation under control. We were not fans of the main pool bar - its just not our "scene." It was more of a party atmosphere and the bartenders worked hard to get everyone involved. We also used the Spa pool - my husband really enjoyed the giant hot tub.

BEACHES - I think we visited them all. We really enjoyed being able to go to different beaches each day. We enjoyed Coral Beach for morning snorkeling - lots of beautiful fish. We enjoyed Las Brisas for just hanging out and spending the day. We enjoyed sunset cove for a little of both. We brought our own snorkel gear and water shoes. I'm a little "iffy" on putting my feet on unknown things in the water, so I kept my shoes on and used a floaty. We rented a kayak one day - it was a simple process.

GYM - The gym was large enough and had plenty of equpiment. It was usually busy all morning and then empty in the afternoon.

LOCATION - We were not interested in shopping or nightlife so the location was great for us. There are excursions available to those things. If you need something to do every night and want to go shopping a lot, perhaps staying closer to Montego Bay would be best. I really enjoyed the bus ride to and from the hotel to see the Jamaican countryside.

OVERALL - I would return to this resort - especially if I could be guaranteed the same room/building. We really enjoyed our week and I thought this was a great value for the money we spent. Sure, there are small things I could complain about, but again, we were not looking to be waited on hand and foot. If you are looking for a good value and enjoy all-inclusive resorts, I think you will enjoy this one. I'm not sure that I have anything new and insightful to offer, but I hope that this review is helpful to those of you planning or preparing for your trip. I also recommend using the website http://palladiumaddict.net. It was very helpful for getting a map, menus, etc. ahead of our trip.

4 Thank NEEDAVACAPittsburgh
boston, ma
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 June 2009

This review is of the hotel, not Jamaica. We have been to Jamaica numerous times and loved it.
Size, quality and service: Resort is extremely large and you should be physically able to, and enjoy, walking.
Every time we took the cart, my husband tipped the driver, which added up to a lot throughout the 10 days we were there. Pick-ups are sporadic at best. Priority is given to checkout, so you are in for a long wait or long walk in the mornings.
We were in Villa 19, which is on the Jamaica side and the furthest from the lobby.
We had the first floor. Air conditioning was fair. Fountain in lobby was broken for three days. There was no coffee maker in our room and it took us three days of asking manager, lobby, maintenance, really anyone we saw until we asked the maid and she brought us one. Coffee makers are suppose to come in the room. My husband is a big coffee drinker, and since this is a resort with NO room service, this was a huge issue.
Seems so silly management of a four-five star resort could not come up with a coffee maker ...we were told that they had no more, we would have one in one hour, by the end of the day, etc etc. When it rained, the bathroom ceiling leaked through the light. The toilet was clogged/overflowed twice during our stay. We begged for a room change and were willing to pay for upgrade but it did not happen. I had pre-arranged and requested night passes for friends and when my friends arrived, the lobby personnel said they would not sell me the passes because they were overbooked that night. I eventually was able to buy the passes after wasting and waiting over 2 hours to speak with four different people, while my guests stood uncomfortably in the lobby after driving 45 minutes to get to the hotel. This was a huge issue and although it was resolved, it was an argument and a time wasting battle involved. I do not enjoy conflict anytime let alone on vacation.
When it rains, the main lobby floors flood and become extremely slipperly. There is also a big flight of stairs where we saw people fall from the rain. Employees are there to "sweep" the water, but that is a never-ending job. There are many roof leaks in lobby and restaurants, which, as mentioned, are the reason for towels and cloths to be thrown on the floor. Power outages are at least 4 or 5 times every day. My husband needed to use WIFI for his job, and the outages interfered with the minutes purchased for the internet. We lost numerous minutes of internet because it did not re-set properly after an outage, and the internet store would not be responsible. Throughout our stay, answers were always that it was "someone else's fault", even from management. The power outages blew out our TV and we waited a day for a replacement tv. I made an appointment at the spa and when I arrived they said they did not have me booked and could I come back in middle of the day. I could not because we had plans. I asked for manager and was told I was talking to her and there was nothing she could do. I spoke to guest relations who said the spa is a separate company they have no control over...passing the buck again. Had manicure three days later. Lower management was really nice and tried their best to be accomodating. They just did not have the authority to make changes.
Food was average. Overall maintenaince was lacking. Grounds were picturesque.
One pool is marked that it is under 4 ft 11 deep, and it is OVER 5 ft. This is really dangerous. I went under for a minute and observed others do the same.
We paid $130 per night average so I guess we got what we paid for, just not the quality or service we would expect of a resort like this.

• Stayed May 2009, travelled as a couple
Washington, DC
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 June 2009

Please take heed to my warning about this resort. I read the comments here after I paid for the trip and I am extremely disappointed that I went.

I really ran out of room on my title. This resort ruined my hard earned vacation. Here is the rundown:

Restaurants:

Men have to wear pants to dinner. Who packs pants to wear in Jamaica? Women wearing bathing suits as tops can not enter any dining facility. Keep in mind, it is over 80 degrees all day in Jamaica. They DO NOT accommodate large groups who want to eat together. We had to leave the Asian restaurant because the “manager” argued at us and lied about our seating request, even though she wasn’t present when we asked to seat 11. Yes I said Asian. The had all types of food there EXCEPT Caribbean food. I was not pleased to say the least.

Facility:

You are at least 45 minutes from Montego Bay and Negril. That'll cost you a lot of money plus tip.

This is a beautiful place on the outside but it's the small things that make it so unattractive. I submitted some pictures to prove this is not over exaggeration.

The place is filled with cigarette smoke no matter where you go. My sister’s second room was infested with it. The housekeeper said she didn’t have spray and with no Air Conditioner in her room she kept a headache for the rest of her stay.

Washcloths seemed to be a hot commodity because nobody in my party could get one until we threatened not to tip them.

Mildew and dampness. The phones reeked of mildew, the beds, couches, everything in the room was damp. The mildew caused my sister to get sick.

Casino:

Stole my money. Literally, they never had change so they owed me. When I went to collect the money they owed me, she said the person who owed me the money was not in and I couldn’t get it until she arrived. I was leaving that day so I couldn’t get my money from them.

The pools closed at 6 p.m. and the adult pool closed at 12 a.m. It was the smallest pool on the resort. The tiles in the pool and barstools are missing and broken, not to comfortable on your feet.

I mentioned my sister’s A/C not working, it took the last day of our stay for an engineer to ask about the ac unit in the room as she was packing up.

The ipod dock in my room was broken, they lied about replacing that. I couldn’t use it the entire stay.

The Staff:

They did not care, they lied, they do not follow through, they had attitudes, they are in serious need of Customer Service Training. They constantly lied about getting us washcloths, they simply brushed us off whenever we needed something. Horrible.

The Engineer Shawn, stalked my cousin, walking in the room while she was asleep without knocking first, constantly knocking on the door while she was in the room, following her to the gym. He commented on us at the adult pool and what we did at the adult pool (he watched us the night we arrived). He even showed up to fix the stopped up shower in her room after she requested for him not to come to her room.

Internet:

You were forced to sit in a smoke filled hot lobby to use the internet because the pricey wireless internet connection in the rooms were WEAK! I’d rather pay the $20 plus dollars a day than sit in those lobbies. No one was safe from the high levels of cigarette smoke in the whole resort. There are no Ethernet cables in the room.

I really can go on and on about this place but I’m getting frustrated. Sunset Beach in Montego Bay was so much better. They didn’t have all of the frills that this place has but it wasn’t falling apart and the customer service was 10 times better.

• Stayed June 2009
1 Thank IamMiAmor
Tamarac, Florida
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 June 2009

My spouse and I went to Jamaica for our one year anniversary,
We met up with four other family members that where staying at
The hotel with us. We arrived and while waiting in the line to check in
7 people came up to the desk with complaints from no A/C to getting
A key to a room that was already occupied. Our room had no A/C for the
Entire stay. IT WAS HOT! The room stank, and sheets were moldy.
We saw the cleaning lady using water from a pond to clean the floors.
The service was horrible, no room service, no wifi in the rooms(you have to pay extra). It's an all inclusive hotel but they charge you for every little thing you can imagine. The staff is not trained, so they have no idea what's going on. The bar never had any drinks, they just kept saying they don't know how to make that or they are out of drinks. Its like WHAT ARE YOU KIDDING! Anyway, I tried my best to make a bad situation good, I played mini golf, basketball, tennis, and went to the pool. The pools are nice, the nightly plays they put on are nice aswell. The excurtions they offer aren't bad either, but overall service and stay in or on the hotel grounds is unpleasant for the amount of money you have to spend. I must say that I did get a good deal on the package to stay here. Air fare and hotels stay for a week was around $750.00 per person. CHEAP! But you get what you pay for or worse. Next year I'm going on a cruise, or back to Cancun Mexico, the people are more friendly. I am a jamaican native and my people can be very nice but not here in this hotel.

Pittsburgh
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 June 2009

13 of us visited from June 16 thru the 23rd. 6 kids ranging from 11 to 16 years old. Mostly everything above average except the beach. Sunset was the only one worth going to. Sand was hard and brown not the white fluffy sand like Riveria Maya. But it was enjoyable there. We had 4 rooms and ours was the hottest by far. Avoid the 3rd floor. I was told at the front desk that they were having problems with all 3rd floors. All staff including the front desk were very nice. My nephew did cut his knee on a broken tile in the pool that required 5 stitches. Some food was warm at best but overall it was very good.

• Stayed June 2009, travelled with family
2 Thank CATMAN3
Also consider these accommodations in or near Lucea
Hilton Rose Hall Resort & Spa
3.5 of 5 bubbles 5,782 reviews
Iberostar Rose Hall Beach Hotel
Holiday Inn Resort Montego Bay
Iberostar Rose Hall Suites

Been to Grand Palladium Jamaica Resort & Spa? Share your experiences!