“No Worries”

Ranked #2 of 3 Hotels in Lucea
Windy City
“No Worries”
Reviewed 7 August 2009

I spent my 30th b-day at the Palladium....I was very worried after reading reviews for this place....keep in mind I paid for this trip 5 months in advance... I read reviews twice a week for 5 months! I have to agree with the travelers who say that "if you are a nick-picky person, dont stay here" I had absolutely NO complaints while I was there...Food-great. Remember its all inclusive so you can order more than one plate at the a la carts...Drinks A+....I had a drink in my hand the entire time I was there!! :)...Staff--wonderful, no worries mon...Rooms--beautiful. The rooms are georgeous no matter what view you have....We went did the zip line, shopped in Negril, Rick's Cafe (yes I jumped), Margaritaville in montego bay is ladies night on thursdays (like a typical club at home!) The Palladium gives a free shuttle there on friday nights. I am very happy with my choice and will be back asap!!!

2 Thank kells007

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,836)
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
  • Slovak first
  • Turkish first
Akron, Ohio
Reviewed 7 August 2009

Arrival: After we got our luggage and were headed out to find our transfer to the resort, we were greeted with a warm “Welcome Home!” Our driver, Courtney, told us, “In Jamaica, we drive on the left. So left is right and right is suicide!” which is the closest thing to the truth I can imagine. I can’t recall seeing a speed limit sign or hearing tires screech on the pavement. Brace yourself! Courtney also pointed out that they have Burger King and KFC in Jamaica. He said his grandmother told him KFC stood for Keep da Fat Comin’! You will want to save at least $2.50 USD per person for the return flight home. We were told this was an airport service fee.

Check-In: Our room wasn’t ready so we helped ourselves to a complimentary Rum Punch and the little make shift bar to the left of the check-in desk. Also, down the hall fro that were individual changing rooms complete with towels, a shower, a hair dryer and other amenities like soap and shampoo, so you could swim until your suite is ready!

Room: If you haven’t already, log onto www.fiestahotelgroup.com to see the rooms. Ours was exactly like the pictures but it was still just as exciting to actually be there! Absolutely gorgeous! The A/C ran fine. We kept it on during the day, along with the ceiling fans and the room was nice and cool when we returned. There were 2 flat screen TV’s, an iPod docking station in the bedroom and the mini bar was included! It was stocked with two pops, two bottled waters and two beers daily. If you want more than that, there would be a $20 per day added to your room. There was an outlet in the living room area, one in the bathroom and two in the bedroom that were pretty universal. Be careful in the bathroom. It was extremely slippery when it was wet. We also left small tips for our maid in the forms of money, costume jewelry, a small bath and body set or makeup and nail polish.

Resort: The grounds were beautiful and well maintained. They were even adding things while we were there. Looks like there’s going to be a rock-bottom stream of some sort that flows outside of each villa. The restaurants served good food. We ate at the Mo’Bay Buffet twice on the first day and we tried Bubba’s Steak House (delicious!), El Mariachi’s, another good meal and Pastafarian. I had heard from someone else’s review that the ketchup in Jamaica was different than ours. So I took a bunch of ketchup packets from Wendy’s with me. But a friend of mine who used to live in Jamaica said that Grace ketchup the closest thing to what we have in the states and she was right. I never used any of what I took. Every morning, Nicketa will great you with a smile when you eat at the buffet facing the main pool!

The best beach was Sunset Cove. It’s on the far end of the resort property but it was so beautiful and relaxing. We spent an entire day there in our swim suits, drinking from our Bubba Kegs (another great idea!) and enjoying the water sports. One woman took out a Hobie Cat by herself and some how it fell over in the water and the life guards raced out to help her. It was like watching Baywatch Jamaican style! There’s a restaurant and a bar on the beach so you don’t have to go far. Bring a large insulated cup or Bubba Keg because they will make a drink for you in whatever you bring to the bar!

For all of you who find it hard to disconnect from the outside world, they also have an Internet Café that is open daily from 9 am to 7 pm. It costs $5 for 15 minutes; $10 for 30 minutes and $18 for an hour.

Don’t forget to get your towel cards from the desk BEFORE you walk all the way to the pool. You get one towel per card. And, yes, there were tiles missing from the pool but no one cut themselves while we were there. The pool bar seemed to be a popular spot but after being at Sunset Cove the previous day, I wasn’t too interested. I didn’t like the entertainment, at least not until they did the Dirty Dancing number and the Michael Jackson tribute. Be sure to bring a few sheets of newspaper. I bought a few souvenirs that were made of glass and the only thing they had to wrap them in was plastic bags.

Tours: JUTA, while a little pricey, was a great taxi service. Instead of going on a shopping tour with lots of other people and risking being left behind or rushed in order to get to the next destination, JUTA provides a personal driver that takes you where you want to go and stays with you the whole time. Our driver was Sharpe. He was very nice and conversational. He took us shopping in Negril and waited outside for us, popping in occasionally to see if everything was alright, then he took us to Rick’s Café to see the famous cliff jumpers and watch the sunset. At no time did he hover over us or hunt us down.

We took the Black River/YS Falls/Appleton Rum tour which was also fun. For $110/pp you get to see three different sites in one day. Cicely was our tour guide and she was a lot of fun. When she asked us a question, she made us say, “Yea Mon” when meant yes, “No Mon” when we meant no and “Everyting Irie” when we wanted to say we were having a good time! We also went horseback riding with Chukka Tours and I have a new respect for Clint Eastwood! My horse was Mr. Burke. I was told Mr. Burke had been there about ten years so if he seemed lazy it was because he has walked that trail a hundred times. And here I thought he didn’t like me! After riding through a small village, we gave the horses a rest and then we rode in the water on the beach. That was fun and the water was just right, however, we didn’t have saddles like we did on the trail. It was more like a blanket and I could feel the spine of my horse, which began to hurt as he galloped in the water, bouncing me up and down.

All-in-all, it was a wonderful trip and I would definitely go back again. There was one power outage (probably due to the fact that everyone was leaving their A/C running during the day). But it only lasted two minutes or so. Seems like longer when you’ve been drinking, though! Have a great time! You’ll enjoy this resort!

• Stayed July 2009, travelled as a couple
3 Thank trinket307
Toronto, Ontario
Reviewed 6 August 2009

Im gonna make this short and sweet
My friends and I stayed at the Grand Palladium Resort and Spa from July 24 - July 31, we've been to many resorts before and nothing holds a candle to this one!!
Rooms: The rooms are amazing we stayed in a junior suite and it was spacious and really clean! Our maid Maxine was the best always had the bar stocked and the rooms really clean.
Resort: This resort will take your breath away! The views are incredible, there are 3 beaches and the pool is huge! dont listen to people complaining about the tiles THEY ARE TILES GET OVER IT, if that ruins your vacation its pretty sad! The beaches are beautiful and the watersports are fun , i suggest everyone go out on the water and have fun. The activities team are full of energy and there is always something going on during the day, and in the evening the shows and dancing at the big piano bar are awesome as well! The people are the most friendly ive ever encountered in an all inclusive vacation! The pool bar has some of the funniest and coolest guys making the best drinks ive ever had! you have to get a bob marley shot and ask Terrence for his Terrence love potion. The disco is alot of fun at night , and the sports bar is always full of people having fun!
Food: The food is in one word INCREDIBLE! The buffet is good for brekfast and lunch with lots of selection you'll never go hungry, and at night theres a different theme like mexican, italian and they are good as well. The jerk hut is a must you'll never eat better jerk chicken or paella in your life so take advantage and eat! The italian restaurant was awesome, along with the mexican, indian and you must eat at the seafood restaurant too. No matter what your taste is, you'll always find something to eat here!

dont listen to any of the bad reviews this place is the most elegant and gorgeous ive ever been to! Hope you have a great stay!

2 Thank MissMangos
USA
Reviewed 6 August 2009

My husband and I just returned from the Grand Palladium Jamaica resort. I, like many others, read all the reviews before we left and had some apprehensions. But if you don't expect perfection, you will be just fine and have a GREAT time!! Here is a brief recap:

Arrival/Check-in:
We flew into Montego Bay, about 45 minutes to the resort, so not bad, you can take a drink on the bus with you. Check-in at hotel was efficient and friendly, welcome rum drink good way to start! Just make sure you know if you are checking into the Jamaica or Lady Hamilton side as there are two lobby areas.

Room:
We stayed in Villa 13, not too far from bars/restaurants/main pool, and had a King size standard room. Very big, clean. We did not have trouble with the air as there was a key in the slot at all times and actually was chilly at night. The bathroom is nice, jacuzzi tub, walk-in shower, not the warmest of water all the time, but not a big deal. Also, people need to realize that you are only requesting an "ocean-view" room, so you are not guaranteed anything, but you can see the ocean from anywhere!! Don't left something this small start your vacation off wrong!

Food:
This was maybe my only small complaint about the resort. We ate only at the Italian and Steak al-a-carte restaurants and also did the beach BBQ on Friday night. The Italian was okay, the tiramisu was very good though! Bubba's, the steak place, was good. I had the Ribeye and it was tasty, but the rest of the meal was just okay. The breakfast buffet was okay, they do make omelets, but the fruit was not very good. The lunch buffets I was not fond of, but there is a hut on the Lady Hamilton side that has the BEST Jamaican Jerk Chicken ever!! Definitely worth the walk over to the Sunset Cove area.

Bars/Entertainment:
The drinks are very good! Mojito's were my favorite and the bartenders are friendly and the Infinity Bar is a great place to end the night with a reggae band on the roof top overlooking the pool. The bartenders will make you what ever you want or will make up a drink for you too. Miami Vice - Great! And if you like banana, try the Dirty Banana. The entertainment at night was good in the theater area, good for the whole family. The entertainment during the day at the beach was also good. Volleyball to play if you want, dance lessons. We did bring our own mugs for drinks, but not a must, just more convenient if you don't want to get up all the time to get a refill.

Pools/Beach:
The main pool is huge! Yes there are pool tiles coming off, but really not a big deal at all, just watch where you walk and they really are trying to fix it, there are covers on the bottom over the worst parts. The beach is a bit rocky, so if you want to spend a lot of time in the ocean, maybe bring water shoes. The water is gorgeous though and the view is incredible. There are also a few other smaller pools that were not as busy and there are bars at those as well. Stay long enough to watch the sunsets in the evenings, some nights they are just incredible!

Tipping:
While your gratuity is included in your room price, we did still tip. The staff does not expect it, but you can tell how much they appreciate it when you give them a tip. We gave $5 each day to the room cleaning staff, $10-15 for each dinner, and then LOTS of $1's to the bartenders. Stick a few bucks in your mini-fridge with a request what you want and you will get it. To put thing in perspective, the minimum wage in Jamaica for a week of work is equal to $50, (American $). Now that should make you want to tip!!!

Overall:
Jamaica is beautiful! The people are friendly and if you treat them with respect, that is how you will be treated in return. This resort is huge, so be prepared to walk off all those drinks! When we were there, it was not anywhere near full, so that was great!
If you read the reviews, you will have a much better idea what to expect. If you want perfection, then maybe this isn't the place for you. If you want to relax, see beautiful scenery, have great drinks, then this is the place! Our vacation was great and we would go back to the Grand Palladium!

• Stayed August 2009, travelled as a couple
3 Thank Traveler13Usa
Philadelphia
Reviewed 6 August 2009

This is my 6th all inclusive and the 1st time I have felt compelled to write. I read all reviews prior to any vacation and found this particular set quite confusing. I have only been to the Dominican Republic for all-inclusive vacations prior to GP Lady Hamilton, so my opinions are only in comparison to top 10 Dominican resorts.

For starters, this was my favorite resort ever. I have never even considered staying at a resort twice; however, I believe I will be going back next year.

With that said I am going to explain the negatives first. There are numerous issues with any resort and the GP is no exception.

1. The pool: It is a mess. Tiles are everywhere and the grout is not holding up well. I would never go back if it wasn't fixed, but it is being completely retiled over the next 3 months. Even though the pool was not attractive and quite annoying, we still spent hours enjoying our time there. The pool bar is awesome and the pool form is great.

2. The beach: The sand is hard and there are a lot of rocks in the water, but I loved the beaches. There are multiple, each with their own quirks. The resort was 65% full (1300 people) when we traveled and there were times when there were only 10 other people on the beach beside our group. The views from the beach are also so beyond amazing due to the man made rock features and such.

3. Beef and Pork: Most food items containing these 2 ingredients are not good at all. All other food was very good. Obviously you are not paying $5000 for a vacation so it is not the most incredible ever, but very good.

4. Restaurant Closings: Some restaurants were being renovated. All menus were being served, just on different nights at different locations. After renovations are done, I expect no issues with this.

5. Check-in: This was not good for us because of miscommunication between us, our travel agent, and the hotel. If you do not care on the location of your room then you will be fine, but if you want a location this could be a stressful time.

6. AC: I personally did not have a problem with this, but others in my group were annoyed. They are no doubt working on it, as the power was scheduled to be out a couple of times during the day to work on the system. I found my room to be plenty cold to sleep, other rooms in our group were even colder. It is not US AC though.

Now those were the negatives but I want to explain that these negatives did not take away from our vacation. Now to the positives:

1. The layout of the resort is perfect. I do not use that word lightly. It is large but everything is very centrally located. If you do not like to walk, ask for a room close to the lobby. Every single part of the resort is within 60 seconds walk to an amazing Caribbean view.

2. The staff is fabulous. A smile is all you need for great service however a small tip helps get above and beyond service.

3. The rooms are fabulous. We upgraded to a one bedroom suite for a very small fee and it is sooooo worth it. You have two large rooms and a huge bathroom. Everything in the room is top of the line. If you upgrade to a one bedroom, you have 2 balconies. We had an ocean front room (reason for the check-in issues) and literally woke up a stone's throw from the Caribbean every morning. I questioned how I had such an amazing view without spending thousands on this vacation. (there are ants at the resort: I used bug spray on the first day in the room and had no further issues)

4. Restaurants: Breakfast and lunch buffets are very good, something for everyone, best service at buffets I have ever received. Italian, Creole, Asian (huge menu), Indian (1st time I tried Indian food) are great. Dinner buffet is above average. I thought Bubba's and Seafood were ok to below average.

5. Bars and drinks: This was a big strength for the resort. Bartenders were personable drinks were strong. Red Stripe is at all major bars now. White wine is not great but drinkable, red is not good. Every bartender has a specialty drink and will make anything on request. Drinks are cold. Frozen drinks are frozen. The only issue I had was not getting too much liquor in each drink. You can solve this problem by asking for only one shot in the drink (if you are in the mood for more, you can ask for 2 or 3). We had insulated mugs and enjoyed using them but you do not need them.

There are bars everywhere. One of my favorite parts about the resort is the wide variety of things to do at night. I feel that I can make my own fun during the day, but night entertainment is sometimes thin at all-inclusive. Besides the typical show and nightclub, the resort also had a very good band each night at the main bar. My personal favorite addition this resort had that past resorts did not was the sports bar. It was large, had games (pool, foosball, ping pong), TVs, a bar, and made to order snacks. This is a nice air conditioned place open all the time.

6. Upgrades: Some people think construction and upgrades are an annoyance. I see it as one of the biggest strengths a resort can have. This resort cares and is working towards being better in every way.

7. Spa is huge and very nice. I had a massage and it was in the top 5 of my life.

Wish I was still there!!!

6 Thank Vacationsforever2000
Newark, New Jersey
Reviewed 5 August 2009

I read a number of reviews before deciding to book at this resort. There were a few negative reviews concerning this resort, but most of them were positive. Knowing and understanding they were all opinions, I decided to go for it. One of my main concerns was it's location, it was several miles from a major city. To my surprise that was not a problem or a concern at all. There were enough activities and amenities at the resort to keep you busy. The drinks were on the money, needless to say my lady friend and I were a little tipsy before our room was ready, and yes had a hangover before 7pm :-) The food was good also, but its a must to visit Bubba's Grill & Steak (get the steak) Steak was close to a Morton's & Chris's Steak Houses. Yes it was that good. The room was great for a standard room, did I mention there is a Jet Tub in the room :-)
This resort is huge and there fore there is still some building/cosmetics being done. But if you are a perfectionist then you may want to wait until all is done on the grounds. These very small issues did not impede on our vacation at all. There were many activities for the kids, only thing that I would suggest, not only to this this resort, is to not allow kids to sit or/and order at the bar. This is a place for adults and adult conversation. Never the less my lady friend and I had a great time, so much of a great time we did not take a lot of pictures. Again Best Resort I Ever Been To - PS Also best resort my lady fried has been to also.

• Stayed August 2009, travelled as a couple
4 Thank Geeman76
Reviewed 4 August 2009

anybody that stayed and did nothing but complain should stay home. Rooms were terrific. Asked for an upgrade and was given a great room on first floor with a great view. No problems with hot water or leaks or any of the stuff. asked for wash cloths and promply received and they were replaced regularly. Minibar was restocked daily. No problems with housekeeping. I did tip our housekeeper the first day but never say her again but others were very courteous and efficient. I didnt see a single person going around harrassing visitors about purchasing marijuana. In fact i heard several people complaining that they were looking for some and couldnt find it or staff refused to help finding some. Yes there are some tiles coming off several parts of the pools. Doesnt help little kids were helping to pry them off. They were barely even a nuisance and i didnt notice on any trip to the swim up bar. The staff everywhere were terrific. The food at the restaurants was good and i never left hungry. If i didnt see something i wanted the staff accomondated any special request. Couldnt decide on which dessert to try so they brought me all 4 at a meal. Wasnt an abundance of premium liquors but it jamaica and rum is the name of the game and appletons is as good as it gets. If you insist on a bottle of premium liquor simply buy a bottle at the liquor store on premises. Lots of great bartenders(roman,andre, owayne should be consulted for their "special drinks"). Bring or buy some larger mugs if you dont want to stand in line for the 8oz plastic cups. I usually just ordered 2-3 at a time. no worries. It would be a crime if you dont hang out around the main pool and take advantage of the entertainment staff and their many varied activities. Our first morning there we settled in early for some sun on the beach and immediately were corralled into merengue lessons. It was a blast. Those led to drinking games, other dance lessons, and several other activities to keep you busy. Look up Garrett(aka "superman"(the guy is great at everything)), happy feet, and 007. They are sure to keep you entertained. If you win one of the activities make sure you attend the shows at night to receive your prize. i missed my first one not knowing that. If you take an excursion to montego bay or negril dont waste your time purchasing liquor anywhere but at the duty free shop at the airport. and dont buy from the first place a shopping tour drops you. and be prepared to negotiate. almost nothing is sold at full sticker price.Nobody will touch their prices, especially the resort. make sure you find your way to sunset cove. Great jerk chicken for lunch and paella. The watersports team is terrific. Look up Curtis for some sailing and scuba. These guys are kind of secluded from the other staff members but the beaches at sunset cove are some of the best. There is even some decent snorkeling there. All in all our week was terrific. A couple of spot thunderstorms to cool things off but plenty to keep you occupied during those brief spells. The ala carte restaurants were all pretty good although the mexican restaurant was closed during our stay. No reservations were needed and we never waited more than 15-20 minutes for a table. Bubbas steakhouse was probably our favorite but the Jamaican restaurant was very good as well. For the money it was hard to complain about anything here and i would easily reccommend the resort to all travelers.
steve
yorktown,va

• Stayed July 2009, travelled with family
3 Thank rumdrink
Also consider these accommodations in or near Lucea
Grand Palladium Lady Hamilton Resort & Spa
Secrets St. James Montego Bay
Secrets St. James Montego Bay
#11 of 63 in Montego Bay
Secrets Wild Orchid Montego Bay

Been to Grand Palladium Jamaica Resort & Spa? Share your experiences!