“Hotel still being built”

Grand Palladium Jamaica Resort & Spa
Ranked #2 of 3 Hotels in Lucea
NY
“Hotel still being built”
Reviewed 12 August 2009

I must say the hotel staff, restaurant staff and security they were super friendly but the reception was terrible. My room wasnt ready til 5pm. Room tub was dirty, broken ac and no hot water. Villa 15 and up are too far from everything. Hotel front, mexican and negril buffet isnt built yet. Ceiling falling in rest. Ammenties sent to my room for my grief was wrapped in foil with a dessert and bugs in it. Hotel is pretty tho.

• Stayed August 2009, travelled with friends

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,840)
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
  • Slovak first
  • Turkish first
Pennsylvania
Reviewed 11 August 2009

I decided almost after 3 months of returning from the Grand Palladium to write a review. I cannot say enough things about my wife's and my stay here at this resort. I was skeptical about all the negativity that I read about this resort, especially since we picked this destination as our honeymoon. I have done alot of traveling over the years and concluded that this was one of the finest resorts for the money. Our stay was of 7nights/8 days and enjoyable every second we were there. I cannot say enough about the tasty foods at the restaurants. You must try the international dish of Jamaica which is ackee and saltfish. Unbelievably good! The staff was amazing. I forgot the pass code to our safe in our room and that was resolved within 5 minutes. No problems with our ac unit, worked 24/7 perfectly. Did have a power out in the middle of the night. That was resolved in 10 minutes.The beaches where breathtaking, especially the one at the lady hamilton side where they serve jerk chicken and rice every day for lunch. Be sure to buy some plastic mugs or water bottles to put your drinks in. The cups they give you are very small. I would advise you tip everyone that serves you. You get better service and they remember your name. All the bad reviews I read where from cry babies who want everything for nothing. Those people don't deserve to go on vacation. As for the rest of us, Grand Palladium rocked. I plan on returning in Feb/2010 to the place I would call home.
P.S. Yes they are constantly improving the facility and working out the bugs on the campus. It won't affect you and you won't notice. Also go to Rick's cafe. You'll never want to leave!!!

4 Thank Islands4ever
Waldorf, MD
Reviewed 11 August 2009

I'm really shocked that some people are giving bad reviews. Like others, I too read all the negative reviews regularly and was actually looking for all the negativity when I arrived and found NONE!! I've stayed at various AL resorts and this by far has been "the best ever." The resort itself is the largest I've ever seen; the grounds are well maintained and yes they are being worked on but that's only to improve the beauty of it. The views are definitely breath-taking. Everything you see on the brochures and online is how it actually look. Check-in was a breeze. We arrived in the am and they greeted us with drinks and the receptionist informed us that the room was not available and to enjoy the resort while they prepare our room. We checked back @ 2pm and our room was ready. The complaints about the rooms...didn't experience any of that. The suites are VERY nice and spacious. We actually kept our air OFF b/c it was so cold in our room. Didn't have any problems with our bathroom either. The food, if you travel to various resorts are the same...a hit/miss. But, overall the food was good. If there was something you didn't like, you have the option of trying another restaurant. What I did like about the restaurants was the fact you did not have to make reservations. There are lots of activities for everyone to enjoy. This is a "family resort" so expect to see kids around. The pool...HUGE!! but room for everyone. Tiles...who cares if a tile or two is missing (I'm sure you have a tile or two missing from your pool at home - are you complaining? and I'm sure you haven't fixed it....). This resort was so amazing you never have to leave unless you like to site-see or do excusions. We did the zipline (amazing) and horseback riding. STAFF - WONDERFUL....nice, polite and very talkative. The only thing I can say that would need some improvement would be their nightly shows, otherwise 5 STARS from me!!

We are actually planning a family vacation at this resort for next year...that's how great it was. So, for any travelers who are reading the negative reviews....you will have a wonderful time. Don't let those negative reviews discourage you. Go and enjoy!!

• Stayed August 2009
4 Thank Reeball
Clarksville, TN
Reviewed 11 August 2009

First I have to say the grounds of this resort and the beach were absolutely amazing. I am not a beach person, but I found myself wanting to be by the water more than in the pool. It is very rocky in the ocean, and hard to move around but once you get past the rocks, its amazingly calm and beautiful.

The food was very good, and there was always tons to choose from at the buffets, and the foods for breakfast and lunch were always fresh. The dinners were a little overcrowded, and many nights there would be a ton of open tables with lines backed out the door. We weren't sure what the problem was, but we finally got a table after about 45 minutes. NOTE: IF YOU LIKE RED STRIPE AND ARE EXPECTING IT HERE, YOU WILL BE DISAPPOINTED. MISS LOU'S BAR IS THE ONLY PLACE, AND IT IS ALL THE WAY UPSTAIRS. YOU CANNOT GET IT BY THE POOL, THEY ONLY SERVE THE REAL ROCK STUFF...BIG DISAPPOINTMENT

It was also easier to get drugs than it was a bottle of water or a smile. It was a pain to have to pay for bottled water at the gift shop when it should have been included. I was highly upset to have to buy water at an all-inclusive resort.

Most of the staff here is very rude, with the occasional few that will talk converse with you like you are not just wasting their time. The bartenders make okay drinks, they are not very strong. I actually had a bartender ask me if my husband and I could come back in 10 minutes to get Bob Marley because if other people saw her make one for us, then they would want one too. I thought that was rude because she could have just made them for everyone who asked.

Our room was a big, and had more than enough space for the both of us. However, the air conditioning works terrible in the buildings, and the room was so hot, one night we actually slept on the hard floor on top of our comforter. We called several times about the air, and the guy came to our room, waved his hand in front of the duct, and said "yes its working" and left. The next time we called, no on ever showed up, and not one time did we receive a call back about the questions we had for the front desk. Our jacuzzi bathtub was filthy when we arrived, and it had a yellow and brown scummy ring around the outside. Our shower also gave off a god awful sewer smell, which was enough to make me not want to get in there at all. The mini-fridge was never restocked, and we actually had to pay a bell-hop 20 for 12 beers to be brought to our room. There is no room service, and you are not supposed to take food back to your room, but we did anyway because we didn't feel like sitting down in the pool table area or the bar when we were tired.

All in all, this is a great place. It is a lot of walking as some of the rooms are far away from either the restaurant, beach, or pool. I would consider going back again if they would give their staff better training in customer service, get room service, and definitely serve Red Stripe at multiple locations. We also did not know to bring mugs with us for the bars, but we will definitely remember for our trip to Couples San Souci this Xmas.

• Stayed May 2009, travelled as a couple
1 Thank connell0618
West Virginia
Reviewed 10 August 2009

My review is pretty lengthy but helpful. If you just want the highlights-

Keep in mind the Jamaican culture is very different! They don't get in a hurry over anything. Some seemed rude but, again, I think it was just a difference in culture.
Jamaica does not observe DST, so you lose an hour if you live on the East Coast.
Watch the tiles in the pool! I did end up injuring myself.
Go to the Sunset Cove Beach!
Creole restaurant=AMAZING!
Just don't be picky, keep in mind you are on VACATION. Don't get bent out of shape over little things!

Arrival:
Our flight to Jamaica went smoothly. We booked our trip through Apple Vacations, so upon arrival to Jamaica we found our representative. We were shown to our bus, as we carried our own luggage and it was loaded. As we were trying to get onto the bus, the man who showed us to the bus said, "Show some appreciation, mon!" and rudely asked for a tip. We gave him a couple bucks but were upset that he asked for a tip when he did not do that much work! We ended up sitting on the bus for an hour waiting for other flights to arrive so they could transport everyone at once. Once we got going, the trip wasn't too bad. They are doing construction in Montego Bay, so it took us about an hour to get to the hotel. The bus driver was very nice and stopped at the rum cake factory so everyone could take a bathroom break, sample some cake, and get a drink.

Check-In:
We arrived at the resort and were dropped off on the Lady Hamilton side of the resort. There were several people checking in at the same time. If you don't want to wait you can walk over to the Jamaica side where there is also a check-in desk. They are doing construction on that side, so the buses won't drop you off over there. Our room wasn't quite ready so we went to the sports bar to eat. About an hour later we got into our room.

Room:
The room was beautiful!! We were in Villa 11, which is the perfect place to be!!! We could see the ocean and were close to all the restaurants and entertainment. We kept a key in slot the whole time and our room stayed nice and cool. The maid service was great, we tipped a couple bucks every few days. They create neat little towel creatures on your bed every day! We went with friends and their room kept losing power on our first day. They eventually ended up switching rooms and everything went well. There was a resort-wide power outage on the 6th. I think it was due to the Independence Day celebration. No big deal-the power came back on in about ten minutes.

Food:
The food was delicious!! I've been to a few inclusive resorts before and have been disappointed in the food. The Creole restaurant was our favorite, and of course you have to get the jerk chicken on Sunset Cove! They are also doing construction on the Mexican restaurant and Bubba's, but they are serving those menus in other restaurants on certain nights. Just check at the reception desk for a schedule of menus in the restaurants. We were also told there was a beach BBQ every Friday. You have to sign up to attend. We signed up, but arrived from our tour late and ended up missing it. We heard that it was a lot of fun though. Also keep in mind the weather. One day it rained really hard. The lobby and some restaurant areas are open, so these flooded quickly. The staff was working rapidly to clear the water, but it can be slick so be careful! They also ended up closing the Blue Lagoon restaurant and Pastafarian because of the water. These places ended up opening after they were cleaned up.

Beach/Entertainment:
The best beach by far is Sunset Cove on the far end of the resort. These beaches were man made so they don't have the smooth white sand that other Caribbean beaches do. Las Brisas beach in front of the pool is a little rocky. My friend ended up kicking a rock and breaking off her toenail! Just be careful. This beach has cute, tiny seashells for collectors. There are also wonderful mattress beds you can lay on to catch some sun! Sunset Cove is where the water sports are located. You can kayak, paddle boat, catamaran, or wind surf. Someone in your group must take lessons on how to sail the catamaran before you can go out. These lessons are not included and are $25. There is also a $25 rescue fee if you tip the catamaran and the lifeguards have to come get you. There is also another smaller beach that is optional topless. We did not go there, but just a warning if you have children. There are shows at night and activities during the day. We only went to one show and it was kind of boring. We didn't participate in any daytime activities, but they seemed like fun. The schedule is at the front desk and posted at the bar beside the pool.

Pool:
The pool is beautiful. I love that it is an infinity pool. There are several tiles missing, so be careful! There are places where they have laid down sheets of vinyl to keep you from stepping on the tiles, but they are coming up all over the place. I actually cut my toe on a broken tile while trying to get in. No big deal though.

Tours:
We were told to book our tours through Apple, but they were pretty expensive. We ended up using the tour group set up within the hotel. We paid $14 a person and went shopping in Negril and to Rick's Cafe. It was fun, but we seemed rushed when shopping. We went to a craft market and the people were very pushy! Everything was supposed to be hand-made but it oddly all looked the same. Things seemed very overpriced there also. We only spent a half hour there, then were taken to a duty free shopping center. Our driver was very nice and helpful and gave us valuable advice. When at the shopping center go to STORE 10! Everything is waaay cheaper than at the other stores. We only had 45 minutes there, so don't waste your time looking at other stores. Rick's Cafe was awesome! They had a steel drum band which was great! It was cloudy, so we didn't catch the sunset but watching everyone jump off the cliffs was fun. My friend jumped off and was climbing to get the rope swing. A man (not an employee) leaned over and grabbed it for her. He then started bugging her for a tip. She didn't have any money at the time, and told him she'd give him money later. As we were leaving the man chased her down asking for a tip. She was upset that he stalked her and only gave him a dollar. He then had the audacity to ask for more! Her husband told him no and he rudely replied "Don't come back!" The drive back to the hotel was only supposed to take 45 minutes but there was a huge party in Negril so it ended up taking us 2 hours!! We missed the beach BBQ but it wasn't anyone's fault.

Transportation:
The Juta taxi service seems well priced. Due to construction, Apple wanted us to leave early enough to make it to the airport and not miss our flight. They scheduled for us to leave the hotel at 7:30am. Our flight did not leave until 12:45pm!! We talked with the Apple representative about possibly leaving later, considering the drive to Montego Bay is only 45 minutes and we were leaving on a Sunday so there shouldn't be any construction. She told us it was not possible, so we booked a taxi through Juta. It was only $50 for four people and our driver was VERY nice. We left at 9:00am and arrived at the airport at 9:50am- no construction.

Resort:
It was pretty obvious to us that the resort had been built too quickly. The taxi driver confirmed this, stating that the whole resort was built in two years. They are already having to refurbish many areas. He also informed us that after the refurbishing, they are planning to add 800 more rooms to the already 1056 room resort.

In conclusion, we had a great time! We overlooked the problems and everything went well!!

• Stayed August 2009, travelled with friends
4 Thank ward103
Windy City
Reviewed 7 August 2009

I spent my 30th b-day at the Palladium....I was very worried after reading reviews for this place....keep in mind I paid for this trip 5 months in advance... I read reviews twice a week for 5 months! I have to agree with the travelers who say that "if you are a nick-picky person, dont stay here" I had absolutely NO complaints while I was there...Food-great. Remember its all inclusive so you can order more than one plate at the a la carts...Drinks A+....I had a drink in my hand the entire time I was there!! :)...Staff--wonderful, no worries mon...Rooms--beautiful. The rooms are georgeous no matter what view you have....We went did the zip line, shopped in Negril, Rick's Cafe (yes I jumped), Margaritaville in montego bay is ladies night on thursdays (like a typical club at home!) The Palladium gives a free shuttle there on friday nights. I am very happy with my choice and will be back asap!!!

• Stayed July 2009, travelled with friends
2 Thank kells007
Akron, Ohio
Reviewed 7 August 2009

Arrival: After we got our luggage and were headed out to find our transfer to the resort, we were greeted with a warm “Welcome Home!” Our driver, Courtney, told us, “In Jamaica, we drive on the left. So left is right and right is suicide!” which is the closest thing to the truth I can imagine. I can’t recall seeing a speed limit sign or hearing tires screech on the pavement. Brace yourself! Courtney also pointed out that they have Burger King and KFC in Jamaica. He said his grandmother told him KFC stood for Keep da Fat Comin’! You will want to save at least $2.50 USD per person for the return flight home. We were told this was an airport service fee.

Check-In: Our room wasn’t ready so we helped ourselves to a complimentary Rum Punch and the little make shift bar to the left of the check-in desk. Also, down the hall fro that were individual changing rooms complete with towels, a shower, a hair dryer and other amenities like soap and shampoo, so you could swim until your suite is ready!

Room: If you haven’t already, log onto www.fiestahotelgroup.com to see the rooms. Ours was exactly like the pictures but it was still just as exciting to actually be there! Absolutely gorgeous! The A/C ran fine. We kept it on during the day, along with the ceiling fans and the room was nice and cool when we returned. There were 2 flat screen TV’s, an iPod docking station in the bedroom and the mini bar was included! It was stocked with two pops, two bottled waters and two beers daily. If you want more than that, there would be a $20 per day added to your room. There was an outlet in the living room area, one in the bathroom and two in the bedroom that were pretty universal. Be careful in the bathroom. It was extremely slippery when it was wet. We also left small tips for our maid in the forms of money, costume jewelry, a small bath and body set or makeup and nail polish.

Resort: The grounds were beautiful and well maintained. They were even adding things while we were there. Looks like there’s going to be a rock-bottom stream of some sort that flows outside of each villa. The restaurants served good food. We ate at the Mo’Bay Buffet twice on the first day and we tried Bubba’s Steak House (delicious!), El Mariachi’s, another good meal and Pastafarian. I had heard from someone else’s review that the ketchup in Jamaica was different than ours. So I took a bunch of ketchup packets from Wendy’s with me. But a friend of mine who used to live in Jamaica said that Grace ketchup the closest thing to what we have in the states and she was right. I never used any of what I took. Every morning, Nicketa will great you with a smile when you eat at the buffet facing the main pool!

The best beach was Sunset Cove. It’s on the far end of the resort property but it was so beautiful and relaxing. We spent an entire day there in our swim suits, drinking from our Bubba Kegs (another great idea!) and enjoying the water sports. One woman took out a Hobie Cat by herself and some how it fell over in the water and the life guards raced out to help her. It was like watching Baywatch Jamaican style! There’s a restaurant and a bar on the beach so you don’t have to go far. Bring a large insulated cup or Bubba Keg because they will make a drink for you in whatever you bring to the bar!

For all of you who find it hard to disconnect from the outside world, they also have an Internet Café that is open daily from 9 am to 7 pm. It costs $5 for 15 minutes; $10 for 30 minutes and $18 for an hour.

Don’t forget to get your towel cards from the desk BEFORE you walk all the way to the pool. You get one towel per card. And, yes, there were tiles missing from the pool but no one cut themselves while we were there. The pool bar seemed to be a popular spot but after being at Sunset Cove the previous day, I wasn’t too interested. I didn’t like the entertainment, at least not until they did the Dirty Dancing number and the Michael Jackson tribute. Be sure to bring a few sheets of newspaper. I bought a few souvenirs that were made of glass and the only thing they had to wrap them in was plastic bags.

Tours: JUTA, while a little pricey, was a great taxi service. Instead of going on a shopping tour with lots of other people and risking being left behind or rushed in order to get to the next destination, JUTA provides a personal driver that takes you where you want to go and stays with you the whole time. Our driver was Sharpe. He was very nice and conversational. He took us shopping in Negril and waited outside for us, popping in occasionally to see if everything was alright, then he took us to Rick’s Café to see the famous cliff jumpers and watch the sunset. At no time did he hover over us or hunt us down.

We took the Black River/YS Falls/Appleton Rum tour which was also fun. For $110/pp you get to see three different sites in one day. Cicely was our tour guide and she was a lot of fun. When she asked us a question, she made us say, “Yea Mon” when meant yes, “No Mon” when we meant no and “Everyting Irie” when we wanted to say we were having a good time! We also went horseback riding with Chukka Tours and I have a new respect for Clint Eastwood! My horse was Mr. Burke. I was told Mr. Burke had been there about ten years so if he seemed lazy it was because he has walked that trail a hundred times. And here I thought he didn’t like me! After riding through a small village, we gave the horses a rest and then we rode in the water on the beach. That was fun and the water was just right, however, we didn’t have saddles like we did on the trail. It was more like a blanket and I could feel the spine of my horse, which began to hurt as he galloped in the water, bouncing me up and down.

All-in-all, it was a wonderful trip and I would definitely go back again. There was one power outage (probably due to the fact that everyone was leaving their A/C running during the day). But it only lasted two minutes or so. Seems like longer when you’ve been drinking, though! Have a great time! You’ll enjoy this resort!

• Stayed July 2009, travelled as a couple
3 Thank trinket307
Also consider these accommodations in or near Lucea
Grand Palladium Lady Hamilton Resort & Spa
Secrets St. James Montego Bay
Secrets St. James Montego Bay
#11 of 63 in Montego Bay
Secrets Wild Orchid Montego Bay

Been to Grand Palladium Jamaica Resort & Spa? Share your experiences!