“cant wait to go back”

Grand Palladium Jamaica Resort & Spa
Ranked #2 of 3 Hotels in Lucea
Reviewed 13 July 2010

My wife and I went to this resort with every intention of having a relaxing trip. All I can say is that it was an excellent vacation but not nearly long enough. The staff was great. spent most of our time relaxing at the relaxing pool with our great bartender simone. Wonderful person. Our favorite restraunt was the lotus. remember it is all inclusive so order as much as you want. the steel drum entertainment was great. we went to ricks cafe and did a full day trip to margaritaville and shopping. it was 30 dollars a person and our tour guide was great. All the bad reviews you read I feel are due to one small thing that might have went wrong and people over react. It was a very relaxing time villa15 is a great location. Dont forget to walk to the jerk chicken shack, very good food. Thank you to all the staff at the resort. next time we come we are bringing our whole family. this time of year it is the rainy season but with it still being 80 degrees plus who can complain too much.

• Stayed: June 2010, travelled as a couple
1  Thank dryfly25

Reviewed 12 July 2010

Stayed Jul 3-10th 2010. Words cannot describe the wonderful time we had. Everyone treated us like royality. Food was fantastic, hotel-roo m everything was wonderful. Traveled out in the surrounding area- real eye opener. Look forward to return trip. Prior post about how rude staff is is very untrue- anything we requested was made available without any problem and very little delay. Would highly recommend- We were surprised that there was a tribute to the American guest on the 4th of July.

• Stayed: July 2010, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 12 July 2010

This is by far the best resort we have ever stayed in. I've been to DR, Cancun, Bahamas, and Puerto Rico, this is the nicest resort. The rooms were great, the pool, the beach, and the employees who worked there were fantastic. Everyone who worked there made our stay great. When people go on vacation they want to relax and enjoy themselves. I give this resort five stars. There were so many restaurants and bars to choose from. I will highly recommed this to all my family and friends. Thanks for making our stay great.

Stayed: July 2010, travelled with family
2  Thank aj4040
Reviewed 11 July 2010

The ride to the hotel is not bad at all, under an hour. Let me start off by saying the main pool is enormous and it caters to children. Half of the pool only goes up to 3 feet which is perfect for kids and the other half goes up to 4.43 feet, perfect for me since I don't swim. There are always chairs and the pool does not feel overcrowded. There are also tons of activities for everyone during the day from bingo to volleyball to pool aerobics and salsa.

The best villa to stay in is Villa #11 if you have the choice, it's right off the lobby and next to the pool. I stayed in villa #23 which was not that bad.

The food at the hotel is average, not bad and not great. There are tons of options for children and all the restaurants share the same kids menu (pizza , pasta, hot dog...etc). The best bar in the hotel is Miss Lou's up by the Infinity bar. It serve the better liquor and they will fill up your 24oz. bottle. If you drink Grey Goose, Absolut, Patron or Hennessey, don't expect that there. We stuck to Baileys and Gran Manier.

The entertainment was good and the kids love the first half of the show. The entertainers are good the performers are a little stiff. The show is about and hour. The sports bar is opened 24 hrs and serves food.

My only problem with resort is that the AC went out on our last day. I made the mistake of opening the balcony. The condensation made the tiled floors slippery. Very dangerous for kids.

We did visit the beach (sunset cove), it was the bes at the resort. This is where you get the jerk chicken and paella. The paella was great and so was the roast corn. The jerk could be a little hotter, but makes for a nice lunch.

For the most part, everyone was very nice at the hotel and very accomodating. I did tip the maid to get extra towels. When we arrived we had 3 for the four of us.

I would definitely visit this resort again.

• Stayed: July 2010, travelled with family
1  Thank aye1111
Reviewed 11 July 2010

We stayed July 4th --10th. We had no problems with any service or staff. If you need anything just ask a staff member and they will help (including the staff in the restaurants- even if they weren't assigned to your table). The pool and pool bar are fantastic. Never had any problems finding loungers at the pools or beach. The activities center was A LOT of fun! Blaze, Tweety, Happyfeet, Smurf , Supaman and all the others (sorry can't think of your names at the moment) are extremely friendly and outstanding hilarious employees. Always fun stuff at the activities center: trivia, bingo, treasure hunt, bellyflop contests, volleyball (beach and water), horseshoes and so much more, plus if you win you get a free bottle of rum and a certificate for memories. The drinking game "Love Juice" was a blast! I have never laughed so hard. We really enjoyed our stay and will definitely be back! We also took advantage of the tours the resort offers-- zipline, black river, rum tour and YS falls tour. Truly an awesome resort

• Stayed: July 2010, travelled with friends
1  Thank britvin
Reviewed 10 July 2010

My wife and I stayed in GP Lady Hamilton for 10 days. We were out there from the 28th of June till the 8 of July and we enjoyed everyday out there. This was our 2nd visit to Montego Bay, Jamaica. Our first trip we stayed in Iberostar which is also a great hotel.At arrival check-in was quick. We had to wait 10 to 20 minutes while they prepared the room for us, but it went by fast b/c we went to the buffet and ate while we waited. The room we stayed in was nice. It was big with a mounted flat screen tv and an alarm radio with an ipod dock. The bathroom has a jacuzzi also. Our Villa was #34 right next to Sunset Cove.

GP is bigger and has more pools. Majority of the people stay in the infinity pool where the swim-up bar is at, but if you want something more relax and quiet you can pick any of the other pools away from the infinity pool. There's one by the spa and another on the Jamaica side of the resort. There are also 2 more pools (adult). The beaches aren't that impressive. They're all man-made and rocky. The activites, like cayacking and paddle boating are free after signing a waiver. The weather was ok. There was an overcast everyday and it rained in the afternoon almost everyday. Raining season started while we was out there.

The food was ok, depending where you ate at. Our first night my wife and I ate at Poseidon and it was terrible. We stayed away from that restaurant, only eating lunch there bc that was the only place that had fried fish. For the most part we ate dinner at each of the restaurants and my favorite was the Italian spot, Creole, and Asian. The only thing was the waiting time after making our order. It sucks! Too long of a wait, especially if you're skipping appetizers. I saw a couple of people get up and walk off. It's not the waiters' fault it's kitchen staff. For lunch we would go to eat at Negril buffet. Can't go wrong with buffets. It's basically eat what you like and leave what you don't eat. It was nice how they had an American theme for 4th of July. That was cool. I was coming from the US so I sticked to eating Jamaican dishes.

The hospitality from the workers was great. Everyone was friendly, greeting you each time you walked by them. Only the women had screw faces.
I loved the guys at the bar. They were very personable. My spot was the sports bar. Faithlyn and Igol were great with my drinks. I was always there b/c I'm a soccar fan and it was a great spot to get away and join the World Cup aficionados.

The theatre was cool. It was dancers every night except one when firebreathing performers visited the resort and did a play on Lion King. It was cool. The entertainers at the resort are ok. Some were rude and obnoxious.

For recreation there's a basketball court, soccer field, mini golf course, and tennis court at the resort. The basketballs suck though! They're not even synthetic leather. They're rubber.
The atm's were always down.

I would visit GP again. Overall all was great and I would return.

• Stayed: July 2010, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Tbonez627
Reviewed 8 July 2010

On paper this hotel appeared to offer everything we wanted, however it did not live up to our expectations at all. Last year we stayed at the Royal Decameron Club Caribbean in Runaway Bay which we loved but we wanted to stay in a different area this year and thought that a hotel with more facilities and a greater choice of restaurants would be better for a 2 week stay.

General Vibe (1 out of 5)
The hotel does not feel Jamaican at all. It felt more like being in a holiday camp or in Benidorm on a Club 18-30's holiday. The hotel panders to the Bubba Keg brigade who start drinking early in the morning and spend the entire day yelling at each other. It was hard to find peace and quiet anywhere on the resort.
There was also a lot of public ganja smoking, which really shocked us as this is supposed to be a family resort. I'm not naïve enough to think that this doesn't happen in Jamaica but when someone is openly smoking a spliff on the way to breakfast or lights up behind you at lunch or in the packed Theatre bar or Infinity Bar it really is too much!
In addition, the behaviour at the swim up bar was really appalling for a family pool. Girls doing body shots on the bar and yelling orders of drinks with rude names really isn't appropriate when there are 5 year olds swimming past.

Rooms (3 out of 5)
The website photos make the rooms look beautiful but, whilst the living space was fine, the finish was very poor in the bathroom. Fittings were falling off the wall and the lighting was bad. Although the hotel has been open for less than 3 years the rooms look much older than this. On a positive note it was very handy to have a decent hairdryer and iron in the room and we were lucky enough to get a great view.

Restaurants (4 out of 5)
Generally the food was quite good. We preferred the outside restaurants as they offered a much more relaxing environment (Bhogali, Reggaitoni and Poseidon). The mussels followed by garlic shrimp at Poseidon was the best meal we had. We tried all the restaurants except for Bubbas and the Jerk Hut as we just didn't get round to eating in these.
Lotus, the Asian restaurant, was bizarre. We had no issues with the taste of the food but the portion sizes of the dishes were really strange. I ordered the Singapore Noodles which was a big portion and my husband had the Indonesian rice which was served as a tiny amount of rice on a saucer! The Udon soup is also shown as a main but was minute. If something is shown as a main course you'd think it would be a reasonable size portion.

Drinks (4 out of 5)
No complaint with the drinks. They say the only bar with premium drinks is Miss Lou's bar, however at all other bars the vodka is Smirnoff, the gin is Gordon's and Jim Beam is available. A really good range of cocktails was available, the Mojitos were delicious. The only thing letting the drinks down was the red wine which was cheap and nasty (I believe the white wine wasn't much better). Surprising for a Spanish hotel chain – however that's probably because they want you to pay $36 minimum for a bottle in the restaurants.

Entertainment (5 out of 5)
We watched the Silver Bird Steel Band both Fridays during our stay and they were excellent! The dancing that accompanied it was some of the best I have ever seen. On Wednesdays there is a steel band on at the Infinity Bar which again was excellent. This is the kind of thing we came to the Caribbean for. Towards the end of the set the entertainment team had a dancing show down – absolutely amazing dancing – do not miss!!!
I really enjoyed the beach BBQ on a Friday too.

Excursions
We did the Negril shopping, beach and Rick's Cafe. Loved it except for the shopping. None of the shops we were taken to were Jamaican owned so you didn't feel like you were helping out the local people by buying from them. Negril beach is fabulous and we'll stay there next time we visit Jamaica. Rick's Cafe was great fun.

We did the sunset cruise from Montego Bay which was very enjoyable but should be 3 hours instead of 2!

We also did the Black River, YS Falls and Appleton Rum. We booked our own taxi from Juta tours at the taxi desk for this and were glad we did as we weren't rushed and our driver, LaToya was lovely.

We also attempted to do a helicopter tour but they wanted a minimum of 4 people in the helicopter so it never happened during our 2 week stay. Unfortunately we wasted a lot of time trying to sort it out so unless there are 4 of you don't bother!

Hotel Activities
I was disappointed that glass bottom boat trips and snorkelling trips weren't included. These are included in the AI package at many other Jamaican resorts. The pedaloes and kayaks were in good condition and you can snorkel right off the beach. I saw loads of tropical fish from the adult beach.

Hotel Shops
Ridiculous prices!!! $13 for some insect bite cream. $30 for a Red Stripe cap which I paid $18 for outside the resort. They also sold wine (Yellow Tail Shiraz) which costs $10 equivalent in the UK for $25 and $120 for Veuve Cliquot champagne which costs $30 - $40 equivalent in the UK.
We walked in, laughed at the prices and left empty handed!!!!

Overall
We were very disappointed in general, mainly due to the vibe in the hotel. I'm glad I had visited Jamaica previously and had seen how great the people are and what a beautiful island it is. However if this had been my first visit, staying at the Grand Palladium, I would never have returned. I doubt I will ever stay at another Grand Palladium resort on the back of this stay either.

• Stayed: June 2010, travelled as a couple
1  Thank aliglobetrek
DimitrisGM, General Manager at Grand Palladium Jamaica Resort & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded 17 July 2010

Greetings to our guests from the UK. I was actually amused by the use Benidorm especially when compared to the other bed and breakfast property in St. Ann. We cater to families and couples equally. If our guests are happy with our drinks and continue to enjoy drinking, we are delighted. No all - inclusive Hotel in the world would limit the amount of drinks serves simply to give the appearance of class... Similarly with the use of marijuana, we do have a zero tolerance policy on all drugs. However, if one in the 2100 people we have staying on property at any time, decide to smoke marijuana, we can reprimand, ask to leave the property but we can not conduct arrests. It is also amazing how guests expect the Hotel to control other adults' lives when on vacation.

Thank you for the enforsement and compliments on our restaurants and bars. If you found the portions small, you are more than welcome to order and re-order and re-order until you are content. That is part of the beauty of our Hotel. You are free to enjoy the facilities to the max.

We are equally confused about your mention of lack of vibe. We have daily entertainment, including lessons in patois, reggae dancing, daily live bands, disco, games, las vegas style shows... If that wasnt vibe enough, we apologize.

Once again, thank you for taking the time to write-in, we remain at your service, if there is anything at all we can do. Perhaps we could have assisted you in maximizing your holiday, if you had spoken to us whilst on property.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Lucea
Hilton Rose Hall Resort & Spa
#11 of 63 in Montego Bay
Hotel Riu Montego Bay
Hotel Riu Montego Bay
#1 of 1 in Ironshore

Been to Grand Palladium Jamaica Resort & Spa? Share your experiences!