“Overall worth the coin”

Grand Palladium Jamaica Resort & Spa
Ranked #2 of 3 Hotels in Lucea
Reviewed 28 July 2010

First let me tell you about arriving in MBJ int'l airport.....
My wife and mother-in-law arrived several hours before my daughters and myself.
They arrived before noon and were thru customs and immigration in 20 minutes.
Of course they had to wait on the tour bus for an hour before being shuttled to the hotel.
Being that they "need" to fill the bus, they wait. I wonder how long they would have waited if no one else wanted to go to the palladium, all day?
Time is money, they could have been enjoying the resort experience that was paid for instead of the inside of a manual transmission van.
My kids and I waited 2.5 hours to get thru customs. What a nightmare!!! We arrived at 2pm. So i say to anyone wanting to go to MBJ, no matter what resort, catch an early inbound flight!!! The airport is tiny and not equipped to handle the amount of inbound flights currently. To be fair, the airport is under some renovation so perhaps this will change in the near future. Then of course the tour bus guys at jamaica tours were arguing about who would take us, and of course we waited 20 minutes for the bus to leave. Guest headed to other resorts were off in minutes. This is due to the distance. GP is one of the furthest resorts away from the airport. A personal taxi would have been worth it!!
So on to the resort!!!!
negatives? a few....
-Buffet food is not hot enough. Yes i know its a buffet, but some hot water sternos are cheap and go a long way. I did see a staff meber checking food temps...so I dont get it. maybe for show?
-The crickets...Wow are they loud. Their songs echo in the villa hallways. Cute at first but it wears on ya, unless you choose to drink enough.
-the liquor is of poor quality. you'll taste it but the buzz wont be there. even if you tip and they give you more, the drinks just dont do it.
-dp the restaraunts take reservations? yes..no..maybe? we heard it all.
Positives?
-value!! yup the benefits far outweigh the costs.
-free wifi in the lobby
-the resort itself is gorgeous, the pools, beaches etc!!
-The restaraunts were pretty good. I recommend bubbas!!! asian was good too. you may wait tho, unless you somehow have a reservation...
-The rooms are nice, although a loose toilet seat and a few loose tiles may be found. i'm not too nitpicky tho.

Overall for the money spent, the experience was worth it. Some other reviewers here obviously cannot be pleased so if you're an anal retentive traveler who suffers from nose up in the air syndrome, dont bother and just stay home!! Try not to get stuck in a villa thats far from the lobby. Tip the check in desk a few bucks and get yourself hooked up.
Also, be sure to pay the extra 20 bux a night for the suite as it provides alot more space. Its like a full sized one bedroom apt with 2 balconies!! The resort pictures dont show this at all.
The workers were all nice, regardless of whether or not we tipped. Although my wife did get the stink eye from a few female employees, but attractive women get that from other women anyways. Here it was a but more pronounced.

We got the one hour massage at the spa for 60 bux!! yup that was awesome. The jerk hut? I was semi drunk and still my nouth was literally on fire!!!! yes it's THAT spicy.

• Stayed: July 2010, travelled as a couple
1  Thank alfredosanch
Write a ReviewReviews (7,078)

Reviewed 26 July 2010

This is 1st of 3 reviews of Grand Palladium Jamaica Resort. The late posting is the result of previously not being able to post more than one review to the same property.

The sole purpose of our vacation was to rest and relax and our mission was accomplished.

We arrived at the Grand Palladium on Dec-2, 2008 at 4:00 and Check-in was quick and efficient and we would like to thank to Lucy for her warm smile, professionalism and for the upgrade to a one bedroom suite in building 1518. The room was as beautiful as the on-line photos if not better. We were extremely grateful for the upgrade but were a little disappointed the ocean could not be seen from the bedroom. No Problem! Lucy indicated she would see what she could do for us the next day so we decided not to unpack and left the room to explore the resort.

The Grand Palladium name is fitting as this resort is GRAND with spectacular views from every angle. We have been guest at many resorts in Jamaica, Bahamas, Dominican Republic, Mexico and countless resorts in the states and the GP resort is among some of the best IMHO. After looking at the surrounding beauty we decided to dine at Xaymaica, the Creole Restaurant where we were treated to some of the finest cuisine. Seafood Gumbo, Coconut Shrimp, Rack of Lamb (mint Jelly) and Crusted Tilapia were delightful. Xaymaica receive a five ***** rating for EXCELLENT cuisine and customer service.

Now that our palate was satisfied, we headed back to the room for some much needed rest.

The next morning Mr. Morgan called to make sure there were no problems with room, at which time we expressed our gratitude for the upgrade, but also voiced our passion for an ocean view. Again, many thanks to Lucy and Mr. Morgan for granting our wish placing us in the room next door 1519 with an AMAZING view of the ocean from both balconies, two mini-bars and a delicious fruit plate. I can still feel the warm air, visualize the deep blue ocean and hear the waves crashing against the rocks.

After unpacking, we headed to the Blue Lagoon for a delicious lunch and spent the rest of the afternoon hanging out by the pool, indulging in some great drinks such as “Bob Marley”, “Caribbean Joy” and meeting other guest and just having a great time.

The remaining five days were spent swimming in the relax pool and in the ocean at Sunset Cove which we enjoyed immensely. We did not experience any rocks on the beach or in the ocean, and did not notice any missing tile in the Relax pool.

Entertainment:

The steel Drum players and dancers were very talented and enjoyable.

Ala Cart Restaurants:

Bubba’s Grill House: Great service and excellent Grilled Salmon.
Poseidon’s: Our favourite selections were Seafood Soup, Red Snapper & Grouper.
Bhogali-Hindi: Great service and superb Mulligwany Soup with apple and coconut, Vegetable Pakora: deep fried vegetables and Butter Chicken.
Pastfarian: Linguini with seafood in lobster bisque sauce and Tiramisu was very tasty.

We also enjoyed lunch at the Blue Lagoon: Jerk Chicken, Stewed Lamb, Fried Chicken, Pasta Salad and Salad/Fruit Bar at the.

In closing, Grand Palladium Jamaica Resort and Spa is not perfect by any stretch of the imagination, but we did not go expecting perfection. Yes, I agree with some of the concerns many of the reviewers have already stated and my hope is that management will re-visit these issues. Having said that, our vacation goals were met and in some instances the staff exceeded our expectations to the point we were making plans to return to this resort before leaving.

So yes, I would highly recommend this resort to those considering GP, and I would encourage those who already have reservations to go and have a BLAST!

Prior & future visits:

Grand Palladium Jamaica – December 2-9, 2008
Grand Palladium Lady Hamilton – March 17-24, 2009
Grand Palladium Lady Hamilton – February 16-23, 2010
Grand Palladium Lady Hamilton – October 13-20, 2010

If you have any questions, please feel free to email me at debbie@ddgpublishing.com.

Respectfully,

Jamaica4u

• Stayed: December 2009, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Jamaica4u
Reviewed 26 July 2010

Wow, what a resort.The good reviews are right. We had it all. Food , drinks and what a pool. Everyone that worked there was nice and helpful. It was sooo relaxing. The drinks were good and all you had to do is ask for a double shot in your drinks for a stronger drink. the Jamacian rum cream was the best, we are hooked.Bought a bottle to bring home and drank half bottle already.All I can say is we are very pleased with Palladium Resort. We are going to stay at a Palladium resort again for sure.The beaches are man made and not a lot of waves,but the pool was so cool. It took me half an hour to walk across the pool from side to side.Only thing was they shouldn't allow kids to sit at the pool bar. It should be for adults only.Other than that not a complaint. We also got a couples massage and was the best we ever had!!!

iThe

• Stayed: July 2010, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 25 July 2010

We travelled to the Grand Palladium-Lady Hamilton Side and it was a very pleasurable trip. It was my husband, my 10 year old son and myself. As many have mentioned, we also read the reviews before hand and thought there was much more positive feedback than negative. (We are positive thinkers, tho!) I think you will always find people who are not happy, complainers, and negative. Overall I would say this is one of the best vacations that we have been on. We travel frequently and have been to many islands (Cuba, D.R., Antigua, and cruises), this trip being my 3rd to Jamaica and my husbands 4th. I'll break the trip down as follows:

Grounds: Impeccable! The resort was well kept, lush, beautiful and very well maintained. It is a huge resort, so be prepared for some walking, altho they do have shuttles - golf cart style.

Bars: Excellent! There were many bars to choose from and occasionally you have to wait a bit, but its because their busy! I loved the swim up bar and used it A LOT!! :) There is nothing that they can't or won't make for you.

Restaurants: Very Good - There is so much to choose from, if you can't find something you like, its your own darn fault! Some of the items were not as hot as I would like, but you know what? They're cooking for lots of people and I didn't have to cook! Again, I choose to enjoy rather than let it ruin my holiday. The service in all the restaurants was excellent, and especially in the a la carte restaurants.

Tipping: It is not required and I truly didn't feel hounded and like hands were out all the time. I don't think the service I recieved was dependant on a good tip. We did tip while there. We tipped our maid $3/day, the man who filled the fridge $2/day. At the a la carte we tipped between $3-$5 depending on the service. We tipped the bartenders when we felt like it and not for every drink. I don't think it was expected and before they knew if they were getting tipped or not, I received very genuinely attentive service.

Staff: These people work hard!!! I got the feeling that they cared if I enjoyed my vacation and were very hospitable. They are always doing something and always busy. Jamaicans are very hard working, proud people. They have all my respect, mon.

Pool: Amazing! The pool is huge! It was always kept clean except for the odd cup floating around from the rude guests. There are loungers in the pool, a swim up bar and it so big, its never over crowded. There is water volleyball and water aerobics daily, There are always lots of loungers around the pool and even have some straw huts - never a problem getting either, and you don't have to be there at 7am to secure a good spot!

Beaches: Beautiful. To be honest they are not the best I have been at, there are lots of rocks and seaweed, but its certainly not the worst. The pool more than makes up for it!

Room/Housekeeping: Excellent! Our room was kept clean, stocked with clean towels everyday. We left notes for our maid if we needed anything and we always had what we needed. She even made animals on our bed with the towels everynight was something new. Our fridge was stocked daily with beer, water and softdrinks. We had a view of the ocean that was amazing. The decor was nice and I loved the huge walk in shower. The room was large and we had a pull out couch for our son, while we had a kingsize bed. We had no problems with the airconditioning-worked a treat.

I would definitely recommend this resort, it was a wonderful week and I wouldn't hesiate to return! I think the people that complain are negative and find a fault with everthing. If you are thinking of booking, don't hesitate, you will love it!

3  Thank crazeecanadian
Reviewed 25 July 2010

As everyone states, I read reviews before I take my trips. However, I didn't allow other opinions discourage me! I mean, we are going to paradise right! My wife and I loved this resort as well as the staff and we mey many kind travelors as well.
Ok, the resteraunts were good, no rush and most food was good. I see some ppl complain that about limited menus! For god sakes! It is an all inclusive resort! They can't have full menus. I highly suggest the mexican and bubbas steak house.
Staff was p?olite and gracious. Go see laurence at the main pool bar. He will make you some drinks you won't soon forget!
Rooms were very nice, yes some times the sheets felt damp. You are on. A tropical island during its rainy season! I personally enjoyed the jaccuzzi tub!
The pools were cool, me and my wife spent a lot of time at the spa! To top it off they were running a special on massages! A dollar a minute.
I chose to zipline, ill say this, if you've never done it... you have to do it in jamaica!
Overall I rate the resort an a plus, saff great, food great, pools great, entertainment great! Oh, one more thing... the person who said the jerkhut is overated is looking for something to complain about! Its awsome! Have fun! Do yourself a favor, enjoy paradise, don't ruin it by looking for something to complain about! And don't forget your water shoes/and bubba kegs!

3  Thank david2242
Reviewed 22 July 2010

This is our 9th trip to Jamaica in 20 years. Certain expectations were made when we chose this 2 year old resort. Was ther July 4 for a week. Positives: Great pools and bars. Lots of activities. Overall a beautiful place. Negatives: Midnight...1st night...found bedbugs in our bed and pillows when covers were pulled back. Changed suites at midnight...but kinda ruined trip. Beds are bad. Beach is horrible. Coral and rocks everywhere. Couldn't even wade in the ocean. Food was just OK at best. Kinda what was expected in the buffets...but the restaurants were lacking in quality. Nothing to dress up for. Putt putt course and soccer field were ruined and junk...basically unusable. Have never been asked to pay a deposit on free items like snorkeling, etc until now. wouldn't accept room key. Who goes to the beach at an all inclusive resort with cash in their pockets?? The walks from the rooms are forever and to get a ride is rare...except at check in and check out. Sweat through your dinner clothes before you ever get to dinner. Air conditioning was out for 3 days.

Nice looking place...but needs a lot of help. For a 2 year old resort....very disappointed. They should probably continue to discount their trips.

1  Thank Luvcash
Reviewed 22 July 2010

We were a large family group..given rooms close together..lovely rooms with great air conditioning and always plenty of towels and face cloths. Frige was restocked daily and the rooms well cared for. Every hotel staff member we encountered could not have been more friendly...always greeted with a smile. The a la carte restaurants were very good and did not ever feel rushed..sevice was impeccable.The entire place was clean as a whistle..pools fabulous and ocean and beaches great. Water shoes came in handy as the ocean had some rocks. The only negative was the nightly entertainment..seemed the same every night and the music to loud for my liking. All in all..a great hotel. pretty good food and wonderful staff..would absolutely return again.....one suggestion......expand the casino..13 working machines is not worthgoing but I am sure if it was larger it would be a popular and bustling place every night....

• Stayed: July 2010, travelled with family
Also consider these accommodations in or near Lucea
Hilton Rose Hall Resort & Spa
Holiday Inn Resort Montego Bay
Hyatt Ziva Rose Hall
Hyatt Ziva Rose Hall
#3 of 6 in Rose Hall

Been to Grand Palladium Jamaica Resort & Spa? Share your experiences!