“wow yeah mon- irie”

Ranked #2 of 3 Hotels in Lucea
Bolton, United Kingdom
“wow yeah mon- irie”
Reviewed 13 January 2011

well where to start apart from wow what an amazing place i have not 1 fault with the grand palladium it was amazing and in paradise for 2 weeks food was great rooms beautiful and clean all staff was so friendly helpful entertainment staff was great always some enteratainment through day and night and the sports bar did the best burgers and you can get food and drink at all times weather was amazing no rain, will advise a trip to margaritaville negril in 7 mile beach it was amazing and to ricks cafe to watch the cliff divers i did not join in them guys are amazing i would recommend this hotel for everyone as it caters for everyones needs it is very big place but have golf buggys available to get you around it is a beautiful place and definatly good value for money it was so much better than expected will be booking again without a doubt.

• Stayed January 2011, travelled as a couple
2 Thank dereve

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,815)
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
  • Slovak first
  • Turkish first
Savanna La Mar, Jamaica
Reviewed 12 January 2011

This was my third visit to this hotel in eight months. Stayed (as before) in a villa on the Jamaica side. Wonderful staff in all departments. Unfortunately our suite had some challenges and we had to be moved to another.
The sheets and all bedding are white and obviously laundered with lots of bleach. Did notice this on my first two visits but seemed stronger this time around. Needs more thorough rinsing. My daughters face swelled up and it gave my nose a burning sensation.
The jacuzzis need to be flushed more often. Bits of dirt coming out of the jets.
Food was generally o.k. but the desert pastries were not so good. Too much of the same, as if the pastry chef mixed one batch of something, colored and decorated it differently to give the impression of variety. The pastries in the Miss Lou Bar so much better.
The entertainment needs much more variety. Other guests I spoke with who had been there for a week or more also expressed disappointment with the entertainment. After the first couple of nights they were thoroughly sick of the dance troupe.
Despite the problems I experienced this time I have not been deterred. This is still one of my favorite resors and I should be back.

• Stayed January 2011, travelled with family
DimitrisGM, General Manager at Grand Palladium Jamaica Resort & Spa, responded to this review, 23 January 2011
Greetings sir. We are particularly excited a fellow Jamaican has visited and commented on our property. I have passed your comments to the appropriate departments with the view to analyze and review your suggestions.

I have also asked laundry to assure all cycles are working properly. I am confident it was an isolated incident with your sheets.

Please contact me directly next time you decide to visit. I will be happy to sit and talk to you when you visit next.

Kind regards,
dtorgeneral.jamaica@fiestahotelgroup.com
st catharines
Reviewed 11 January 2011

First of all, I have to thank Dimitris for accommodating us as requested and Dominick at the front desk for changing that at my husband request. Check-in was 2 minutes and that includes the room change from bottom floor to top.
Rooms are great, huge jacuzzi tub, clean and big, everything worked, pillows were not good but did not disturb my sleep and I'm not a good sleeper. If you leave your card in, the A/C will keep the room cold. If I needed anything, I wrote little notes and the girls always supplied me with whatever I needed.
Staff always happy, always smiling and saying "hi". Always working. I watched my 8 year old hopping on a bar stool and the bartender was right with him. No problem.
Kids club very helpful, Thanks Miss Barbie and Miss Bubbles. They have a Wii for those kids that are addicted.
Spa was great, free hot tub, sauna, steam room and heated pool ( we experienced a bit of a cold front). Beautiful place, if you're not interested in the spa, go over to take pictures.
Miss Lou's bar was awesome, always made me fresh coffee with bailey's, always good selection of top shelf alcohol, champagne.
Buffet- huge selection even for Americans (pasta, burgers, steak), you can always find something, my husband did not get sick and he ALWAYS, and I repeat ALWAYS does. A la carte were hit and miss, some food great, some ridiculous. Even the same restaurant on two different nights was different, maybe a different chef.
I did not mind the man made beaches, took some good pictures.
Cannot advise on tours, did not go on any because we enjoyed the resort and did not want to leave!
Overall, good rooms, good food for the most part, never a problem finding 4 loungers at the pool, whatever spot you wanted, top shelf alcohol if you ask, very good staff, never asked for any tips, I tipped because they were worth it! So far one of the best resorts I have been to.
Another thing - they catered to everybody, kids, teens, young and older couples!
The big pool was kind of cold, but it was generally cool at the time, if you want heated, go to the spa.
As far as safety, I never used the safe, I would leave my expensive camera, purse, everything lying around even at the beach, did not have a problem. Also, did not have any inappropriate propositions, but yes, they did let me know that they appreciate beauty in a very settle manner.
Thanks to Dmitris for running a solid resort, don't have one complaint. Thanks to Sunwing, first time I used you guys and it was a wonderful experience, everybody was sooo nice and attentive!

• Stayed December 2010, travelled with family
Hartford, Connecticut
Reviewed 11 January 2011

This was my second trip to Grand Palladium this year and I am already planning my return in the Spring. The resort is truly magnificent and has a place for everyone. If you want activities just stop by the main pool and you will have a blast. In addition to the dancing, volleyball and other fun things you will enjoy the the massive pool and many never ending drinks. If you are looking for relaxation there are smaller pools or some cozy spots on the beach.

The food was great and you will have several options. My dinner at the Steak House was unforgetable. The food was delicious and the staff was absouletly wonderful. My waiter was very attentive, he even sang a Bob Marley song for my wife-excellent! After dinner, the fun would continue with the reggae band and/or the disco.

• Stayed December 2010, travelled with family
2 Thank Lodge1975
waterloo, ON
Reviewed 9 January 2011

Visited the resort in November 2010 for one week for a family wedding.
The resort is on a huge property with many spots to relax. The views are beautiful and the rooms were nice - ocean view was breathtaking.

Problems, problems, problems
Hotel Orientation - didn't exist - our Sunwing rep was horrible and didn't give us any real information about the resort - just pushed the outings for 45 minutes. She was never at her designated desk in the 5 times I checked for her over the week.
This resort cannot accommodate large groups unless you're interested in paying extra for booking private dinners, etc.
If you're booking a wedding - be careful - there are a lot of extra charges for guests, such as chair fees for the wedding services and dinner - it's an ALL INCLUSIVE RESORT - why would you need to pay extra for chairs and dinners???
We had 54 people in our group and the management did nothing to make us feel special - eventhough the resort was at least 1/3 empty. Entire buildings were closed and still, there were not enough bartenders or waitstaff.
No one ever visited you around the pool to ask if you'd like a drink or food. No restaurants near the pool! Not even nachos!!!
Free wireless is only in the lobby - which was not convenient.
Security - didn't see many security guards around the huge property.
Shuttles - really good and quick - if you can find one! They forgot to pick us up for the wedding - and it was pouring out - not acceptable.
Room stocking - our bar fridge didn't get stocked until our second day - and after that, we're not sure it was ever stocked again.
Room cleaning - mediocre at best. Not sure they ever cleaned the floors and the bed linen was grubby.
Liquor at bars - if they weren't running out of liquor, they ran out of mix. It was unbelievable how understocked most of the bars were.
Sports bar - was open 24 hours - which was good - except the music was so loud you couldn't speak to the person next to you.
Towels - most pools didn't have clean towels until after 11 each day, and often ran out of towels before the end of the day. I spent a lot of time walking around the resort trying to get clean/ dry beach towels - and then found out you can get them at the lobby.
We tried to book a restaurant for everyone to have dinner at the same time - they would not accommodate. We all showed up together for dinner at the same time - and could not put tables together without having the staff attack us. The staff were absolute unequipped and had zero customer service skills in the steak restaurant. The split our group into 2 rooms and tried to tell us there were reserved tables. We watched the tables and no one showed up for the 1.5 hours we were in the restaurant.
Beach BBQ - again - completely unable to accommodate any groups. There were long tables that would seat 20 and they told us they were reserved. We watched the table for 1/2 hour and then noticed that some people from our group were seated at those tables with strangers - it was ridiculous.
On our last day - we were not allowed to have a late checkout - even by paying extra - AGAIN - the RESORT was very empty - yet they would do nothing to let us check out later.
On our last day, our bus to the airport was scheduled to leave at 6:30 and the Sports bar was closed due to renovations. A makeshift bar was created, but had no food, no drinks, no staff. I tried to locate the Site Manager - no one bothered to try to speak to me - we had over 30 people who needed to eat and they would not open the buffet 15 minutes earlier - so at 6 pm - we had to sprint to eat before our transport showed up.
The transport itself - frightening. Our luggage was piled from floor to ceiling and we were afraid we all were not going to fit on the bus.

The buffet food was really good, with a ton of variety and the staff was efficient, friendly and the best on the resort.
The spa was lovely - especially the many covered pools and beautiful sauna. You HAVE to bring your credit card - as you cannot charge to your room. Another horrible policy showing more bad service.
Jerk Hut - amazing - give them a tip and they'll love you!
Snorkeling off the resort was excellent if you're into coral and plant life.
Rooms were spacious.

Bottom line - the service at this resort is horrific. No one cares if you complian - so it's not worth wasting your time. Even in slow season, where the resort has huge vacancies - management is clueless about making their customers happy.

We've been to a number of resorts - non inclusive and all inclusive in the Caribbean, Mexico, Hawaii, Florida, Dominican, Cuba, etc. and this was, by far, our worst experience at any resort for service.

Check out my other reviews if you like - I'm really honest and balanced in my feedback. I would never return to this place unless it was at a huge discount and I was assured there was a serious improvement in Management Philosophy on customer service.

Find a different resort - as this island has many alternatives.

• Stayed November 2010
6 Thank endsun
boston
Reviewed 7 January 2011

This resort was beautiful...however I was very disappointed when my wallet and phone were stolen from my room within the first two hours of the trip. I usually always lock up my belongings in the safe, however we had just arrived and went to get a quick lunch only to return to an empty purse! Housekeeping was the only one with a key. When the authorities were notified they took a report but did not bother replacing the money or offering a resort credit. Unfortunately this ruined our trip and made us feel very unsafe. Be wary of this resort and make sure to lock up your belongings!

• Stayed February 2010, travelled as a couple
4 Thank travellette33
DimitrisGM, General Manager at Grand Palladium Jamaica Resort & Spa, responded to this review, 9 January 2011
Greetings. We are sorry you believe our staff may have been involved in the disappearance of your personal items. Please note, we engage in a very thorough recruitment and background process to assure only the best people are employed (this includes a criminal background check). No where in the world can any employer guarantee that his staff won't breach company policies. Additionally, we do encourage all our guests to use the free safe provided in all rooms - one is ultimately charged with the responsibility of safeguarding their belongings.

As you can imagine, we are unable to provide compensation everytime one of 2500 guests alleges missing items from their room. Much like you believe there are dishonest employess, I can cite several examples of at best, forgetful, and at worst, plainly unscrupulous guests that use the Hotel's good faith to exort financial benefits.

In fact, the law in most jurisdictions, Inn Keeper's Liability Act, equally state that a Hotel is not responsible for items missing or stolen from a room where a safe is provided and the guest has chose for whatever reason, not to use it.

While we extend our apologies, we hope this unfortunate event has not tainted your entire wonderful experience at our property.

Thank you for your attention. Kind regards,
marlton
Reviewed 5 January 2011

I'll keep the review short to be effective.

Jamaica & the resort were absolutely breathtaking, beautiful pool, great outside bars & constantly getting the party going (there were people on staff who would make you dance, be silly, have fun). Having travelled to Mexico in the same year, there were a few things that we found aggravating...to say the least.

1. The resort is split into 2--The Lady Hamilton & just the "standard" Grand Palladium. Without being a guest at the Lady Hamilton, dinner reservations were not able to be made in advance (for anyone who's been to an all-inclusive, this is ESSENTIAL!!) Out of our 5 nights , we managed to get squeezed in ONCE. This was not mentioned anywhere when you book your vacation, surely I would have chosen the upgrade or a different destination.

2. The resort was extremely large--beautiful-- but large. Our room was on the third floor of our "villa" and there was not an elevator (in any of the villas). This would have been fine, even with bringing our suitcases up & down, except the fact that our room key/door opener stopped working on 3 different occasions during our stay. When you have to go up and down that many stairs...that many times, you get angry.

A. While I'm on this topic I'll mention that the AC barely worked, the fridge
was "stocked" with 2 beers -- oh, and if you requested more, kindly expect a
$25 (USD) charge to your room.

B. Our room was "cleaned" once in 5 nights.

3. Tipping became excessive. Yes the staff was friendly & attentive...if you tipped. If you didn't, kindly expect to be ignored.

4. Because of the lack of air conditioning, windows & doors were left open, this meant flies on the food (buffet/outside dining)

5. No Room Service. None.

When you travel & your destination isn't what you expected, of course you make the most of it. But when it comes to recommending this resort (country), I doubt I would unless I know the person would thoroughly enjoy the culture that transcends into the service.

• Stayed December 2010, travelled as a couple
5 Thank pa2us
Also consider these accommodations in or near Lucea
Hilton Rose Hall Resort & Spa
Hotel Riu Montego Bay
Hotel Riu Montego Bay
#1 of 1 in Ironshore
Iberostar Rose Hall Beach Hotel

Been to Grand Palladium Jamaica Resort & Spa? Share your experiences!