“The Best Vacation Ever”

Ranked #2 of 3 Hotels in Lucea
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
“The Best Vacation Ever”
Reviewed 19 January 2011

I traveled to Jamaica with one of my friends, as my first experience to the carribean I can't imagine a better place to go than the Grand Palladium. From the time we arrived to the time we left there is nothing bad I can say about the Grand Palladium.
Check-In was quick and we were even served rum punch, we were taken to our room in a golf cart. Damien was our driver, and he even called us every night to ask if we needed a ride to dinner and made suggestions on where to go. Everyone we encountered was so friendly. The BEST place to go is the Infinity Bar, there is live music every night and the bartenders are the greatest (Jo, Gavin, Dexter). The food was good, definately recommend going to the Jerk Hut located by the beach! The entertainment crew was amazing and always made for a great time at the pool (happy feet, smiley, blaze and panther were our favorites). We were never bored to say the least and the drinks were always plentiful (I would recommend bringing your own LARGE cup if you don't to refill your drinks often). All of the bartenders have their "specialty" drinks which was my favorite part. The shows every night were always entertaining and a chance to win a bottle of jamaican rum was a good incentive and a great way to start off the evening to say the least.

If you are looking for a relaxing yet fun environment I would definately recommend going here. I cannot wait to go back!!

• Stayed January 2011, travelled with friends
2 Thank fhockey16

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,829)
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
  • Slovak first
  • Turkish first
Calgary, Canada
Reviewed 19 January 2011

This was the first time we visited Jamaica and would definitely go back again. Can't believe anyone can say a negative thing about this place. Staff was always efficient and more than happy to help at any time. Our maid, Shirley, was the best and Lawrence and Glen at the seaside bar were just awesome. The people here are genuinely happy to make your stay the best possible and will miss their smiles and hugs immensely. The food at the buffet was varied and more than enough to suit anybody's tastes. If you didn't see what you wanted, they were more than happy to cook it for you. We found the food exceptional and the ala carte restaurants were topnotch. We went on a side trip to Dunn's falls in Ochos Rios and had a good time. Going to Negril shopping, we hired a cab driver, Dalton, who took us to the smaller markets and the more intimate areas around Negril. Not once, did any of our servers, or cab drivers expect a tip, but we were more than happy to give one as the service was impeccable! The one tip I would give is to check out the prices of day excursions around the hotel. We booked through Air Canada and one trip we paid $28 for two and the same trip through Thompson Travel was $70 for two. Day deep sea fishing prices ranged from $175 to $500. We thought Rick's Cafe was a rip off, drinks were expensive and food was mediocre and divers badgering everyone for money. We just stayed away from the cliffs and were not badgered again. Chukka tours were a great tour company to deal with.

3 Thank SemiRetired79
Toronto
Reviewed 18 January 2011

This resort it very nice. Its half way between Mo bay and Negril, but not really near anything (no walking to a neighbouring town) so its peaceful. It was a 45min cab ride from the airport, with a super friendly and informative driver. Upon arriving to the resort we were greeted with a rum punch and many smiling faces! Throughout our stay the staff were friendly and attentive. The resort was only half full so there was no waiting for tables at meals, and lounge chairs at the beach and pool were abundant. (We usually travel in February and the resorts are packed - meaning you have to reserve lounge chairs early and wait in line for meals). We thought the service was great, especially compared to the previous reviews, but maybe it was due to the number of vacancies.

The food was good, nothing spectacular but standard resort food, with a large selection. The restaurants were ok, basically the same as the buffet, but different scenery and being waited on was nice for a change. Particularly the asian one was not good.... pad thai had spaghetti noodles???never saw that done before!

The pool is massive and it was cold, but we found it refreshing after a lay out in the hot sun! The beaches are nice for lounging and beautiful views, but I only liked swimming at sunset cove. It is the only one with nice sand, the others are rocky/coral. The adult beach is calm but has a stream run off near it that kinda stinks. Sunset cove is beautiful, treed for shade, sandy, lots of chairs, plus it has water sports stuff....we enjoyed our paddle boat ride.... the water is so clear and aqua!

The room was lovely, clean and had a comfy bed. Sleeping for us was good. The fountain in the middle of each complex was a soothing sound. There are loud!!!! crickets but they tend to get quieter later in the night 11pm ish. For us...after being out in the heat all day, we were zonked and slept just fine.

Word of advice, they will try to get you to buy a time share in the resort and it takes up half a day of your vacation!

We went on two excursions. The first one was to Negril ....7 mile beach and shopping and Rick's Cafe. It was a huge bus of people the first stop was for 4hrs at the beach. Another bus got there first so there weren't enough lounge chairs and there is basically no shade (only 3 umbrellas)!! very hot! They take you to a designated spot with a restaurant, bar, and 1 bathroom (yuk). There is security guard who did have to chase someone away while we were there. We walked the beach which is long and beautiful!!! however locals are constantly trying to sell you stuff the entire time which takes away from the beauty of it all. The beach is all tourist. The restaurant was good! grilled chicken was excellent. The shopping was crappy touristy places. Ricks cafe was packkkked full of tourist, but the sunset was beautiful and the cliff diving neat to see. I would have liked to have jumped from a low spot of it wasn't so busy.

Our second excursion was to appleton rum, black river and YS falls. We went through the grand palladium tour cause it was cheaper then our own travel company. It was a van and only 4 of us which was great. We got to YS falls early in the morning and rode in with the workers so we basically had the place to ourselves! we swam in the falls and our pictures are tourist free! Appleton tour was short, but they let you drink as much rum as you want. If you want to purchase any rum however, it was at least $5 cheaper at the duty free shops at the airport. The black river boat was nice. saw crocodiles and mangrove trees are so interesting! The drive to get to these places was also an adventure! Winding through the hills, cliffs, villages, forests! great to see how locals live and the gorgeous scenery! However gravol was a must, its a 2 hrs roller coaster ride!

Finally....the resort is nice, service fine, food fine, no long beach for walking but we had an overall good time. Jamaica itself boasts friendly people and the scenery lush and beautiful! HOWEVER................we were to go to this resort last year but were bumped the night before our booked stay, so we were given a voucher to stay this year. We were not that impressed with the grand palladium resorts for bumping us last year, and they made it ridiculously hard to book our voucher stay this year. Also no one acknowledged the inconvenience of bumping us, not when we checked in, or out, or when dealing with the palladium time share people. They actually blamed it on our travel agent. Numerous people were bumped last year form all over the world. It was grand palladium's fault. We also happened upon another family that had been bumped last year and they arrived a couple days ahead of us. This was interesting to us since grand palladium would not allow us to arrive on jan 2 due to a black out period. We tried for weeks to allow this and they refused. Plus the resort was only half full, so why we could not go is ridiculous. So I would not recommend Grand Palladium to a friend simply due to the way they treated us. The resort itself is nice as I said, but hopefully you can actually go when you booked it!

Atlanta, Georgia
Reviewed 16 January 2011

Where do I begin?? I have visited Jamaica on several occasions and I have never been so disappointed with a resort. The staff was very RUDE, the food is AWFUL, the room was in HORRIBLE shape. The drinks come in a small cup so your getting up every 10 minutes for a refill. Oh yeah, and you get your own drinks there is no pool servers. We had so many issues with our room we asked to speak with a manager and we were told he was unavailable. If you go to this resort.......GOOD LUCK!!!!!

5 Thank Stella449
DimitrisGM, General Manager at Grand Palladium Jamaica Resort & Spa, responded to this review, 18 January 2011
Greetings. While we appreciate your contribution, we must add that it does not give us much information to constructively use your comments in improving our Resort. I also cant help but add that it appears to stand alone among many, many wonderful reviews of our property.

The one specific comment you are making about drinks merits attention as, very likely along your other statements, it is inaccurate. Our bars (11 full time running bars) serve drinks in conventional 8-12 oz glassware. We free pour, which means, you generally get more than your traditional serving you may be accustomed to in N. America. All our vessels are glass. We do not serve in plastic or small cups except for the pool areas where we use pebble optic material in order to prevent breakage and subsequent accidents.

While do not have servers walking around the pool, we do have 3 bars around the pool: Las Brisas, the swim up bar and a rolling Bar on the Jamaica side of the resport.

I would love to hear the issues you had with your room. Please do not hesitate to contact me, if there is anything at all I can do.

Take care.
Winnipeg, Canada
Reviewed 13 January 2011

I just got back from a week here with my mom and 10 year old daughter. The trip couldn't have been better! ALL the staff were friendly and helpful. The guys at the water sports were great and tried to make everything you did extra special (thnx Carl). The bartenders are hilarious and friendly, always dancing around and singing. The entire trip was perfect.

I was a little worried about not being in Montego Bay or one of the other popular spots, but after seeing the hotels (when we picked people up for excursions) and hearing about their hotels, I am so happy we picked this place. All the excursions are still available, the beach is beautiful, the staff are amazing, the food was great, the service was great, the rooms are gorgeous! We stayed in a supersaver room and it was huge! and everything was very very clean :)

I could go on forever about how great everything is, but you can see for yourself. I am shocked by people's complaints. There are miserable people in the world that try to look for things to be upset about and you can see it in the reviews. This place is unbelievable. The pictures don't do it justice. I will definitely be going back asap, but this time for 2 weeks :) Enjoy!

• Stayed January 2011, travelled with family
5 Thank Terrylynn-2011
Bolton, United Kingdom
Reviewed 13 January 2011

well where to start apart from wow what an amazing place i have not 1 fault with the grand palladium it was amazing and in paradise for 2 weeks food was great rooms beautiful and clean all staff was so friendly helpful entertainment staff was great always some enteratainment through day and night and the sports bar did the best burgers and you can get food and drink at all times weather was amazing no rain, will advise a trip to margaritaville negril in 7 mile beach it was amazing and to ricks cafe to watch the cliff divers i did not join in them guys are amazing i would recommend this hotel for everyone as it caters for everyones needs it is very big place but have golf buggys available to get you around it is a beautiful place and definatly good value for money it was so much better than expected will be booking again without a doubt.

2 Thank dereve
Savanna La Mar, Jamaica
Reviewed 12 January 2011

This was my third visit to this hotel in eight months. Stayed (as before) in a villa on the Jamaica side. Wonderful staff in all departments. Unfortunately our suite had some challenges and we had to be moved to another.
The sheets and all bedding are white and obviously laundered with lots of bleach. Did notice this on my first two visits but seemed stronger this time around. Needs more thorough rinsing. My daughters face swelled up and it gave my nose a burning sensation.
The jacuzzis need to be flushed more often. Bits of dirt coming out of the jets.
Food was generally o.k. but the desert pastries were not so good. Too much of the same, as if the pastry chef mixed one batch of something, colored and decorated it differently to give the impression of variety. The pastries in the Miss Lou Bar so much better.
The entertainment needs much more variety. Other guests I spoke with who had been there for a week or more also expressed disappointment with the entertainment. After the first couple of nights they were thoroughly sick of the dance troupe.
Despite the problems I experienced this time I have not been deterred. This is still one of my favorite resors and I should be back.

• Stayed January 2011, travelled with family
DimitrisGM, General Manager at Grand Palladium Jamaica Resort & Spa, responded to this review, 23 January 2011
Greetings sir. We are particularly excited a fellow Jamaican has visited and commented on our property. I have passed your comments to the appropriate departments with the view to analyze and review your suggestions.

I have also asked laundry to assure all cycles are working properly. I am confident it was an isolated incident with your sheets.

Please contact me directly next time you decide to visit. I will be happy to sit and talk to you when you visit next.

Kind regards,
dtorgeneral.jamaica@fiestahotelgroup.com
Also consider these accommodations in or near Lucea
Grand Palladium Lady Hamilton Resort & Spa
Secrets St. James Montego Bay
Secrets St. James Montego Bay
#11 of 63 in Montego Bay
Iberostar Rose Hall Beach Hotel

Been to Grand Palladium Jamaica Resort & Spa? Share your experiences!