“Wonderful location, pricey though”
3 of 5 bubbles Review of Cluanie Inn

Cluanie Inn
Price range: US$30 - US$40
Cuisines: Bar, British, Scottish, Brew Pub, Pub
Good for: Child-friendly, Kids
Dining options: Breakfast, Lunch, Dinner, Full Bar, Highchairs Available, Parking Available, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff
“Wonderful location, pricey though”
Reviewed 5 July 2014 via mobile

Had lunch on the way past...one lovely Balmoral chicken, one not quite so nice steak pie (thick stodgy pastry and dry) and an ok kid's pizza and chips. Good selection of beers and a friendly barman. Great location with great views.

Would have to say let down by charging too much though, it was expensive and the menu showed £5.95 for a cheese toastie...really! Also seemed to charge £3 per half an hour (?) for wifi which feels outdated to me as free wifi is becoming the norm in places like this. Money making seems the priority here a little too much.

Hertsberge, Belgium
“simple but yummie”
Reviewed 28 June 2014

Passed this place on the way to sky and as it was rather late before we could get to our holiday home we decided to stop and ask if we could still have something to eat. It was around 20h-20h30 but no problem for the nice staff. I had the fish and chips and my partner a double burger. i can still taste that excellent crust on that fish… it was so good! And everything was so fresh, loved those big green pies that came with the dish. Also my partner was very satisfied with his fresh an juicy burger. Maybe a bit pricy but compared to other places were you can get fish and chips it certainly is worth the money. Also the next day i suddenly remembered i forgot my sunglasses in the ladies room so i wrote an email to ask for them; within the hour i got an answer back from the owner of the Inn.

• Visited June 2014
“legal tender notes (or n ot)”
Reviewed 27 June 2014

unfortunately, not a good experience. My husband and myself were touring Scotland and loved every minute until we stopped for lunch. were told the £50 note was not legal tender. Luckily we had some other notes. When we went to bank they informed us that it should have been accepted. The young man was not very pleasant. when we explained that the £50 notes had been accepted in other establishments he said he hoped they had fun. Also to be careful of the tea pot on the table - not to spill tea!!!

4 Thank aideenl_12
“It's the only thing around but their hot sandwiches are worth the price”
Reviewed 21 June 2014

We stopped in on the way from Inverness to Isle of Skye. Their hot sandwiches are great... amazing bread and pressed to perfection.

Visited June 2014
1 Thank Floridian32308
Inverness, United Kingdom
“This used to be such a great hotel...”
Reviewed 15 June 2014

Hmmm...what to say here! Went in for lunch on Sunday 15 June with elderly mother and husband. Was looking forward to our meal as my Late Father's parents used to own the hotel and we were looking forward to a nostalgic visit.
We were met by a woman who told us to find a table and order at the bar. Fair enough. The place was pretty busy but there were tables however, my mother had difficulty getting into a chair at two separate tables because they were so big and we couldn't navigate our way past other people. Eventually we found a table. 15 minutes after sitting down, someone came and cleared the (filthy) table but they failed to wipe it. I had to ask for a cloth at the bar to wipe it myself (wasn't too bothered but shouldn't have had to do that.
Whilst waiting for our food, I noticed the person who was serving food to other guests was carrying a young baby (I assume it was her own) at the same time. Now I'm not sure this would be well received by the Food Hygiene inspectors as hands on nappies whilst serving food did not fill me with confidence in their standards of cleanliness.
Our food was okay. I had haggis, neeps and tattles with 'whisky sauce' which was more like white sauce with a bit of whisky which had a strange taste. My husband had the steak pie which was okay but the steak was tough and my Mother had a starter of whitebait. we also had two glasses of wine and a lager shandy. The bill came to a whopping £53, which I thought was excessive for what we had.
Throughout our meal, the person serving addressed us as 'guys' or 'you guys'. now, I'm pretty liberal but I do think my mother, a woman of 85, should be addressed a bit more appropriately...maybe I'm old fashioned...
Lastly, the toilets were a pretty unpleasant experience. They were dirty and desperately in need of a refurb.
What a shame. This hotel used to have a fantastic reputation. It has always been a bit rough round the edges but the food and hospitality were second to none. It is situated in one of the very best locations for hill walkers, for Skye, for fantastic mountain scenery. Unfortunately, the present owners/managers need to know it falls way short of the excellent Highland hospitality it used to offer.

6 Thank SAW1958