“Search for something else....”
Review of Elvetia Hotel

Elvetia Hotel
Ranked #13 of 14 Hotels in Karpenisi
Athens, Greece
“Search for something else....”
Reviewed 10 January 2012

Well...I 've been to that hotel 2 weeks ago and I have to say that its site is way too misleading. Rooms seem in the site large and comfortable, bathroom seems really large and clean, they say that they have a buffet with abundant delicacies, wi fi, a comfortable lobby where you can enjoy your drink and good overall services...the truth is this site is a total LIE!!!!!!!!!
First of all, my room was soooo narrow and small that I had to climb the bed to go from the other side of the room where was the closet (which by the way was awful!). The bathroom and especially the shower was so narrow that honestly I had had a claustophobic crisis in there. They had soaps anf shampoos probably from the stone age and their towels smelled something between moisture and mildew. When I've actually asked for new towels because these stinked, an old lady in the reception told me that this was impossible as they are FAMOUS for their clean towels! (OH MY GOD!!!!!!!! PLEAEAEASE!!!!!!!!!!!!!)
Breakfast was tragic. You had to wait at the line (YES! at the line!) for at least 15 minutes to find a table to sit. And regarding the buffet...what buffet?????? They didn't have even cereals, fruits or green tea (in fact I'm not sure that they know what green tea is!). Another thing that really annoyed me there was that they allowed smoking in the lobby. I think this was totally unappropriate.
And speaking about unappropriate things...well in this lobby you will find stuffed animals (yes, you've readed correctly...stuffed animals...) How stupid and uncivilized is this anyway? What are we? Hunters in the 18 century? Badger, fox and wolf are protected species and in this hotel they have three stuffed ones in front of their main window in the lobby. PETA please take a position!
Furthermore, wi fi? This must be a joke! They have had a router hanging in their main door and that was all. This of cource means that you don't have wifi in your own room but basically only in front of the reception.
Air condition was also terrible there! You either had to freeze or sweat. There was no middle situation!
And the best part of all, I payed 80 per day for this place and I'm still waiting for the receipt to be sent...

Room Tip: There are no good rooms there!
  • Stayed January 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Olgatravelling

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (3)
  • Greek first
athens,greece
Reviewed 7 January 2011

I stayed in this hotel during christmas for 3 days. The hotel's lobby is great,you can spend many hours there, you have internet access totally free, nice and comfortable coaches. The only problem is that everyone smoked inside, which really annoyed me especially in the morning. And i have to mention that i am a smoker. But i can't stand smoking inside. Anyway, it was really cold outside, but why me and my smokers friends went outside? Secondly, the tables used for breakfast were few, so you had to eat not in a table. I didn't enjoy much of my breakfast, because i had all the time on my mind that someone else needed the table. The room was just okay. Okay, the whole scenery of the room was a bit misery, i mean the walls' colour etc, but in general terms you could relax in them. The TV's were very small and the bathroom was awful. There was no curtain at all, tobe honest i bathed myself only once. The breakfast was simply ok, but don't expect much of everything. For example i would like to eat cheese pie or croissant, just the basics.
The only great thing about the hotel is the location. It is in the centre of the town, that means that any time you can buy without thinking things from outside. I have to mention that the only alive place in whole city is near the hotel. There are creperies, fast foods, bakery near there, anything you wish. The bars are opposite the hotel, but to be honest i was not annoyed from the noise, maybe because we were not in the front, i mean our room was not from the front.. Also it was great for kids. There was plenty of room for running and playing, a big tv with child cd's , in general i consider it very safe. It's a family businness. And of course it was really value for money. We checked another hotels in the vicinity of Karpenissi, they were marvellous and not much expensive, but they are remote. So, i think in general i recommend it.

• Stayed December 2010, travelled with family
2 Thank katerinanz
Greece
Reviewed 8 November 2009

We travelled with my girlfriend on Apr, 2008 and stayed there for three nights. The hotel was easily found, as it locates a few steps away from the central (main square). Parking was not easy and is forbitten outside, but we could park 150m away. This means that you 'll find some traffic and noise in this part of the town, but also you are in the center of everything as all stores, cafes and tavernas are around. The reception and the lobby area are spacious and very welcoming, especially in winter. Our room, on third floor was in front side, but it was spacious and had nice view. Clean and tidy, but not luxurious and special, it provided all basics. Breakfast was good and rich with many options and local goods.

Although it's a typical option (there are not many in this town) and nothing was exceptional, we really had a pleasant accomodation, with no problems and I would return again to the hotel

• Stayed April 2008, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Dimitrios-GR
Volos
Reviewed 5 May 2009

When visiting the area with some friends, we decided to stay at Hotel Elvetia as its price was fair. Located next to the square in the centre, seemed like an ideal plae to spend a night.
I was not satisfied by the service at first because I asked for help with my luggage as I had my baby girl along and could not carry everything. Help did not come and I had to get the stuff on my own on the 4th floor, using a small elevator which hardly ha any space for me and the baby.
Nevertheless I went up to te room only to find out the following:
- ALL walls were cpvered in black from foams and dirt
- basin was broken
- 3 out of 5 lamps were not working
- power points were exposed
- one window overlooked a wall and second window was blocked and could not be opened, so the room was really dark midday
- there was a smell of petrol everywhere
- bedspread no tthe clearest I had seen

Anyway, it was the first time I asked for another room, which I got. On the condition that I would move all my stuff on my own and right away!! As if I did not do it in the first place......This time it overlooked the entrance of the hotel. As a result, we could not sleep before 4 in th morning due to loud voices and noise. As for the rest, yes it had a better view and the window could open, but otherwise it was similar to the first room. Oh yes, the walls were fresly painted.

Breakfast was poor. Thank God there was an excellent bakery nest door...

Prior to booking we were told (by the manager?) that the hotel was recently renovated....

• Stayed May 2009, travelled with family
5 Thank elenipellie

Travellers are raving about these Karpenisi hotels