“Do not waste your money on this miserable excuse for a resort!!!!” 1 of 5 bubbles
Review of Grand Paradise Samana

Grand Paradise Samana
Ranked #1 of 5 Hotels in Las Galeras
Bonshaw, Canada
“Do not waste your money on this miserable excuse for a resort!!!!”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 March 2012

Buyer beware, do not go there!!!!! Beautiful on first site but this ???resort is a wolf in sheeps clothing.

We were on vacation at athe Grand Paradise Samana from March 21-29, 2012. When we checked in we told the lady at the check in that we didn’t want the beach towels and she said no problem. We never received any card for them nor did we sign for them and they never even gave us a remote control for the TV. No one showed us where our room was so we ended up in the middle of a torrential rainstorm dragging our suitcases. When we finally found our room, there was a flood in the room. There was a puddle in the middle of the main room and the room where we hung our clothes was about 2 inches deep in water as well as there was another puddle in the bathroom. The water was running down the walls. Turns out the roof of this building was thatched. There were big cracks in the ceilings. We do have pictures of the rotted wall in the dressing room and water running down the walls. I will enclose them with this letter. We cleaned up all the water. Every time it rained (which was every day but 1) there was water running down the walls and always a puddle in the dressing room and bathroom. We did ask the maintenance man about all the leaks but he didn’t do anything about them and I doubt he could have fixed this problem. We did report the leaks to the front desk but nothing was done. The safe deposit box we paid for was in pieces and the a/c didn’t work. We called the desk and they did send someone. There was a problem with the room key. The maintenance man fixed the safe and the key or so we thought. We left the room to get something to eat and when we returned the a/c didn’t work at all. We went down to the front desk and they had to recharge the key again. Also our patio door wouldn’t lock. The maintenance man fixed the locks.

The next morning there was more water on the floors and when we showed the maid she looked at us like we did that ourselves. Again we cleaned up the leaks. We booked our trip to the National Park with Joel (A/C rep) on Friday. Unfortunately we did not tell him about the conditions in our room nor did we tell him about the towel paper that we never received. We have travelled extensively in the Caribbean and have never had any problems til this trip. We have never had to go to an agent about anything. Joel is a very good rep.

On Saturday I was sick and on Tuesday as well. My husband has been sick for 3 days now. We were not alone being sick. There were many people who became ill and one friend of ours and her little boy were in hospital on ivs. Another girl we met at the airport, who was on our flight, hadn’t eaten anything for 2 days due to being sick. Some of the Westjet people were also ill.

The morning of the 29th, we were scheduled to leave and we tried to check out. The time was 6:15 a.m. and the bus was coming at 7:00 a.m. We were told that we owed $30.00 for our beach towels. We never use the hotel towels because we always bring our own. I offered to show him ours but he wouldn’t listen to me at all. I told them we never had their towels nor did we have the paper for the towels. He called me a liar and refused to deal with me unless I paid the $30.00 immediately. He bullied me into using my Visa card to pay for these towels. He said that we would go to jail if I didn’t pay this amount. He kept me at the desk for over 40 minutes. He wouldn’t talk to me at all unless I paid him. I even asked for the manager who conveniently wasn’t there. When the bus came he said we couldn’t leave and the rep on the bus tried to reason with him. This guy wouldn’t listen to him or me. By this point in time my husband was extremely upset. My husband has high blood pressure and a blood disorder and is diabetic. I didn’t want him upset. This kind of behaviour is deplorable and unjustified. The staff didn’t care. They just wanted to con money out of us. I ended up paying for this but when Joel (your rep) got on the bus I told him what happened. He asked why I didn’t call him. I told him I didn’t know I could and did tell the guy at the desk to call Joel but he refused. When we got to the airport Joel spoke to the manager at the hotel and told him to reverse the charge. Joel did get the charge reversed but to be honest, this never should have happened. I am not a liar nor is my husband and we didn’t do anything wrong. This hotel should be banned from Air Canada Vacations. They are crooks and con artists. They had people on the resort peddling vacation plans and one guy even tried to sell us an extra night on the resort. I asked him if he was paying to fly us home if we took his deal.

This is a beautiful resort but there is no need for people to mean and nasty to paying customers. They need to find out why people are getting sick and need to get their facts straight when they are checking people in and out. We will never go to the Dominican again after this experience.

You should also know that sanitary conditions do not exist at this resort. We were made to put all used toilet paper in the garbage can (the only garbage can in our room) regardless of what was on it because the sewer system can't handle any paper. The ladies washroom at the beach restaurant one day was so backed up that we knew exactly what everyone did that day and none of it was pretty. I have seen that much crap floating in one place in all my life. Also ran into this problem in other washrooms on the resort and we had a major backup in our room one night as well. Four star resort my eye. It isn't even worthy of a one star!!

Room Tip: don't know if there is anything such thing as a good room
  • Stayed March 2012, travelled as a couple
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
19 Thank bcjoslin1

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (543)
  • Czech first
  • Polish first
  • Slovak first
Alliston
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 March 2012

We recently had the pleasure of staying at the Grand Paradise resort for a two week family holiday. Having never been to the Dominican before, we were a little scared of what to expect (we usually spend our vacation time in Cuba) especially when we were advised by our doctor to get our twinrix & cholera vaccines, and to take malaria medication before we went (we took our chances with the malaria but did take our doctors advice re: vaccines). The bus ride from the airport was approx 1.5hrs (...and I must admit, I was a little surprised we didn't have any casualties along the way. I thought for sure we were going to hit one of the many pedestrians). We were very excited when we arrived at the resort. It was better than we had expected and much more beautiful than any of the pictures we saw on-line. Our bungalow was spacious and quite comfortable for our family of four. The beds were not the greatest but we put the mattresses on the floor and felt that improved the comfort level immensely. The resort food was fantastic. We played it safe for the first week and stayed away from ice cubes and anything that may have been washed in water (lettuce, tomatoes...) but by the second week we were eating everything and anything and we were all totally fine. The hotel's retaurants and bars are very cautiou, all the water and ice cubes are purified. We did make sure to use bottled water for drinking and brushing our teeth as was advised by the resort staff. I recommend you take advantage of booking dinners at the two a la carte restaurants on site (seascapes and Michael Angelo’s) you can visit each twice per week. The fish is fresh and melts in your mouth and the deserts and aperitif cart offers a heavenly assortment of treats to indulge in! We also ate lunch every day at the snack bar as well. Our kids loved the thin crust pizza, hotdogs and shoestring fries. The breakfast buffet is also amazing. Every day they offer custom homemade crepes or omelets, and there is always a large supply of soft fresh bread which we never seemed to get tired of. The resort had plenty of things to keep us and our kids occupied. There is a different show every night (although after two weeks they all feel kind of the same). Our kids really enjoyed the mini disco which happens every night at 8:30pm. The pool show on Wednesday night is definitely a must see. The whole animation team were great. Our youngest daughter was quite enamored by Silpader (sp?) one of the animation crew. Much to my daughters excitement he took the time to talk, pose for a picture and he offered to join us for dinner on our last night. There is a Kids club (day care) is open from 9:00-12:00 and 2:00-5:00pm and is included at no additional cost for parents who need a break, archery, beach volleyball, poolside dance classes are also free to participate in. There is a fantastic natural aquarium where you can snorkel and see hundreds of HUGE fish and lots of colourful aquatic life for $15/person right on the beach (if you bring your own snorkels -which we did- you can snorkel anywhere along the shore and see still quite a bit of fish, there are locals who offer horseback riding for about $20/person (they have helmets available too) I recommend going to the little German owned restaurant/B&B built into the cliff side on the right side of the beach- it's worth seeing (you also won't get bombarded by locals trying to sell you handicrafts if you go that way). We went on a few excursions off the resort as well. One was a half day trip (about six hours long) to El limon. A breathtaking waterfall that you get to on horseback (highly recommend) and the other was a full day trip (10 hours long) to los Haitises where you can spelunk in magnificent caves and see ancient native carvings and sketches (I do not recommend if you have young children, but for older children it is worth seeing). If you do decide to go on this trip be prepared to sit a lot....it’s 2 hr bus ride to the port and 2 hr boat ride each way (bring gravol). We booked the hotel taxi and made two day trips to bolca del diablo (mouth of the devil)- a huge blowhole, and playa ricon (the 7th most beautiful beach in the world) both were bumpy but scenic drives. Ricon beach is very beautiful and the waves are unreal but not very relaxing (you have to rent beach chairs for $5 a piece and then get harassed by local sales people). We wished we had the time/money to do the whale watching tour as we heard many wonderful reports but we will save that for next time as we definitely plan to return to the Grand Paradise again soon!

7 Thank WSMILNE
Toronto, Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 March 2012

Staying at the Grand Paradise was truly a memorable experience. With an extremely enthusiastic staff, grand paradise is a great place to go to raise your spirits and enjoy some time off.
The was always a variety of food to choose from, with newly themed buffets each day, always found something to eat with no complaints.
The room was beautiful, and nicely decorated and cleaned for our welcome. Kept clean daily no complaints with polite and courteous maid service...the bungalow is worth the extra money, and view of the beautiful ocean and palm tree view...
The entertainment staff made sure everyone had a great time through out the day, and always had smiles on their faces. The shows were spectacular and had humour enjoyable for all ages, good audience interaction too. You can tell which dancers put alot of effort in their routines (Victor Santos, Antonio Michael Jackson, Mykyky, La Blondie, Abraham Mexico)
Front desk workers were charming, and very helpful to my needs with answering general questions and making our stay more comfortable!
Walk the plank zipline is worth the money to do, book outside of the hotel as it will be cheaper!
The beach itself is breath taking surrounded by mountains and blue skys.
Its truly Paradise, see you all in August..

• Stayed March 2012, travelled with friends
1 Thank Farah I
Canada
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 March 2012

First off, I want to clear up all the rumours about the food making people sick. It was a virus and not the food!!! (We received proof when two of our family members were tested upon arriving home.)

The food was delicious, and we preferred the evening buffets to the a la carte restaurants. (The selection of the food changed every day to a different theme). We all loved trying new dishes, along with the staples and regular dishes.

The resort is rather large and there are so many places to walk. My husband's and my favourite thing to do, after dropping off the kids at the kids club, was to walk along the water to where the horses were feeding. (off the property)

Another thing I want to address is the low, all-inclusive price that we all paid, and the high number of petty, complaining tourists that we encountered. The low staff wages are the main reason in why we paid so little. (Under $5,000 for 6 people and two rooms, all in, including airfare, taxes etc...) Once one realizes that the majority of workers are paid between $50 and $150 per MONTH, and work long, 16 day stretches before getting two days off, then it's hard to complain about the little things.
For example, people were complaining about the workers not speaking English. Our family learned a few Spanish words and got along just fine.
Another thing we heard that there was not 27/7 entertainment on the beach. Or that there was only one type of beer. We avoided the beach commotion as much as possible and consumed plenty of beer. (It was good and cold, the way beer should be.)

This is what I have to say...If you want to enjoy time with your family, experience a picturesque, lush, gorgeous view, have good food, and pay way less than other resorts, then this is a great place to go.
If you're generally a content, easy going person, then you'll have fun.
If you try to look for faults, you will find some here, and will not enjoy yourself.
This is not a five star, but can be a great family vacation spot.
I keep going back to this stunning place in my mind.
We got way more than we paid for.

Room Tip: Building 7, 8, and 9 are all new, but geared to people from France. We stayed in building 7 and it...
3 Thank Bajanwannabe
hamilton
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 March 2012

let me start off by saying that this resort is not a 5 star resort and no where does it advertise that it is....BUT it is advertised as a 3 1/2 to 4 star and that it definitely is. i think i can confidently say that my family is seasoned,experienced travelers that have previously been to jamaica, mayan riviera,cuba and various places in the d.r. we have stayed at many 5 star resorts and if that is what you are looking for or expecting than you should book and pay the big$$ for that because this resort is not for you, but if you are an open minded traveler looking for a beautiful beach, nice resort, decent food and wonderful people than this place is for you. prior to traveling to grand paradise samana we had read many negative revirews about the resort and we were very nervous about going but let me assure that we had absolutely no problems with this resort, food or people.. ok, so now i will start with my review. the hotel is very clean with very comfortable rooms.(we stayed in block 7 and had 2 rooms there and had no problems with either room) the rooms are cleaned daily and mini fridge stocked daily with water and pop, very comfortable pillow top mattresses and we slept great every night for 2 weeks.. yes, i would say they could spend a little $$ to replace all of the beach and bath towels but not a big deal, they were always clean and available for changing daily. the hotel is not huge like some so very easy to get around. food, breakfast at the main buffet was very good with a crepe station, egg station(made to order), great fruit with a huge varity of breads and cakes, cereal etc.lunch we had everyday at the beach snack bar that was more than enough with fresh pizza being served continually, hamburgers, chicken, pasta, rice, french fries,salads, desserts...always something to eat. dinner we had nightly at the main buffet and again there was always something to eat, bbq,pasta station, meat, fish, veggies,potoatoes and so on(the food could have been alittle hotter when served but i think they are working on that)again, we were there for 2 weeks (myself, husband and 14 and 17 year old daughters) none of us were ever sick from the food or drinks and we were never left hungry.(if you want shrimp or lobster you won't get it hear unless you are willing to pay and try the seafood a la carte, which we didn't do as we didn't want to spend the money $30 per person in case we were not happy)the beach is short but warm, beautiful water which somedays had some seawweed that you would have to step over to get into the water but they worked everyday at cleaning it up and once you got passed that the water was wonderful.(very safe to walk the beach and to the left you could walk right into the town of las galeras for shopping or to mingle with the locals.(not much to buy though)lots of daily activities that you were invited to partake in if you wished and ok if not. we were not bothered by the french group at all they did their own thing which was fine with us.volleyball, bocce, water areobics, free kayaking, crazy games and much more was available.(horseback riding on the beach for a fee)now as far as ALL the staff at this resort.... they were all very very very friendly, welcoming and we had so much fun with them. the maids,gardeners, restaurant staff, front desk staff,animation/dancers were some of the nicest people that we have ever met. i don't know what other reviews were talking about. the front desk staff were always so friendly and we had so much fun with them and made it a point to stop by and see them everyday before or after dinner and their english was great too. i was in touch with a WONDERFUL LADY by the name of NORIS before we arrived and she was so helpful and friendly. she was able to make sure our stay their was fun and she was a pleasure to deal with, as was the sunwing rep their by the name of annie(anis) always available at the front desk and very knowledgeable and big smile on her face all the time even when she was having to deal with unrealistic difficult people.juan kelly and roberto in the main dining room were always so kind and trying to make our vacation memorable and providing great service lastly, the animation/dancers...the shows that these non proffesionals put on every night was GREAT and very entertaining. we saw every show 2 times and were not tired of it. they work so so hard for so little $$ and deserve huge recognition for their efforts and long hours.special mention goes to some of them and we made some great friendships with them and hope to see them again next year. mikiki, micheal jackson(best impression ever seen),jessie, blondie, victor,youseff, alfonso,eduardo,frank,zabata,mexico. you should all take a bow for your great work and friendliness to all the guests we were very lucky to have met such wonderful people. please be kind if going to this place and bring along some small gifts as a token of appreciation, we did and they sure did like it. we brought lots of snacks and my girls had so much fun sharing them with the staff there....by the way the bus ride from the airport is almost 90 minutes but on a beautiful air conditioned coach bus so remember you have lots of time to relax when you get there, so just BOOK AND GO. i promise you will not be dissapointed if you go with an open mind and remember that you are not in canada you are in the d.r.we were there march 5-19

5 Thank roston
Montreal, Canada
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 March 2012

First of all, peeps, don't bother about negatives reviews about this hotel (or another) because you should go and make your own opinion because everyone standards are not the same. So go and discover the world !

This hotel was awesome from A to Z ! The staff was overall very welcoming and helping at all times ! Somehow some of them where speaking 3 languages (spanish, english and french) and some (a few) were hardly understanding english. The check in was quick too !

The rooms were average-good, larges enough with a nice bathroom ! We had HOT WATER the entire stay ! AC was working well too ! We were in the building 13, room 5201 and we can not had a better location on the resort. Near the beach and one of the buffet (and the a la carte), in front of a beautiful pool (overcrowded with europeans who seems to think the whole place was theirs ! hello lookea club ! :) ) but we didn't mind !

The beach was beautiful with white and soft sand and clear water. There was a little bit of sea weed on the beach though.. they should have clean it more but it was still beautiful don't worry !

The food was good in general ! The morning buffet was pretty good in general ! The evening buffet was good too ! Maybe lunch buffet should add a little bit of variety since it was pretty repetitive but everything was tasty and good !

Also make sure to buy your rum in Las Galeras, a little village next to the hotel (10 min walking distance). It's a lot less expensive there !

Overall it was a memorable and romantic vacation for us. We will definitely go back to that resort again ! I'm a travel agent and Ioved that hotel ! :)

**Note that the grand paradise samana hotel is known to have Samana's prettier beach !

Room Tip: Ask for a second floor, not a third floor, ask for a quiet place near the beach and the pool.
  • Stayed March 2012, travelled as a couple
3 Thank FiestaSun
Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 March 2012

I don't know where the people who say this place is terrible were staying but that is not the place I stayed at. The staff were amazing, always there when we needed them, the dancers we have gotten address' to keep in touch they were so friendly. The rooms were not the greatest but honestly I didn't spend much more time then to sleep and get ready in the morning in my room because I was on vacation and I was going to spend it outside. We left a little present for the maid and that always helps, not sure their cleaning without it but she desirved it there was one maid to do our whole building so she was busy. Location, really can't ask for much better, a little bit of grass and stuff in the water but once your past it, beautiful, no huge waves, good for kids and you could go far out because there was really no drop off point it just slowly got deeper. There were unreal excursions, I highly recommend. We traveled with a 10 year old girl and she was really nervous and went with her father for 3 runs and the staff made her feel so safe she went alone! And we also had 2 people in their 60's zipline with us. At the end of the week the dancers and some front desk staff knew our group and were so nice and did everything they could to make our trip amazing. Some say they had a run down bus, I personally had one like you would see all through canada, airconditioned and yes it was a little over an hour drive but honestly that was one part of the trip I enjoyed, you seen all through Samana and the tour guide told us all about it. I think I got just as many pictures on the way to the resort as I did on the resort!
HIGHLY RECOMMEND!

Room Tip: Go into the town, and go to walk the plank zipline excursion!
5 Thank JennaCanada
#6 of 60 in Samana Province
4.5 of 5 bubbles 3,771 reviews
Luxury Bahia Principe Cayo Levantado Don Pablo Collection
Luxury Bahia Principe Samana Don Pablo Collection
Luxury Bahia Principe Samana Don...
#3 of 60 in Samana Province

Been to Grand Paradise Samana? Share your experiences!