“Great Family Resort”

Grand Paradise Samana
Ranked #2 of 4 Hotels in Las Galeras
Reviewed 2 March 2014

We stayed the week for Feb 18 - 25. The first few days they appeared to be understaffed but by Friday, this was rectified. Other reviewers complained about the lack of loungers, but they had received a very large shipment of new ones the Saturday before we arrived, so we never had an issue getting a lounger either on the beach, or either pool. We loved the quiet pool by the lake. No loud music playing, but a great bar, food available at happy hour, and a washroom. The beach is great for walking and the trails were very good for a morning jog. The food at the buffet was good, and lots of it, particularly the dessert table. Pass on the al a cartes. We waited 2 hours for food at the seafood restaurant. Then all plates were either undercooked, overcooked and stone cold. They have a going away beach meal, and party on your last evening that has lobster etc, but they share staff with the al a cartes so if one of those is happening, service is lousy. The last night party was very good though so don't miss that. We met a group of really super people that we enjoyed hanging out with. We went whale watching which I highly recommend if you go between Jan 15 - Feb 25. After that they are few and far between. We say 3 large humpbacks and our guide Leo, was very informative. I learned more on that trip than any other. Also tried the acquarium snorkelling offer by Kao on the beach. $15 for an hour. I thought it was a bargain, and saw starfish, eels, and many other species. The rooms were super clean. I would definitely go to this resort again, and would recommend it. The price was very good too. Almost forgot, wild horses can be seen early morning, by the ocean. Beautiful.

Room Tip: Rooms, and Villas available, depending on what you need. Ocean view from most rooms, so don't pa...
5  Thank Fran4666
Write a ReviewReviews (3,876)

Reviewed 2 March 2014

This vacation was just absolutely amazing! I stayed with my boyfriend feb 18-25 2014. The weather was BEAUTIFUL. The resort itself just stunning with the palm trees everywhere, many different places to spend the day; the beach, grass area, one of two pool areas or one of many sitting areas. We were greeted by dancers into a beautifully done lobby. From the moment we stepped off the bus, it was amazing.

The food was far better than expected after reading previous reviews. There was so much variety, the food itself was great, as well as the staff who served the food, in all the places were so kind and always smiling.

The activities that the resort provides are fantastic. We did snorkelling, kayaking, played volleyball, as well as went on an excursion provided to the hotel which was beautiful- we went to the waterfall

With the amazing weather, gorgeous room and beautiful resort, the best part of our vacation, and what would make us go again was the staff! The bartenders were always smiling; especially Newman! he was just fantastic. The animation staff was fabulous and the ones who made our trip extremely fantastic were Youseff, Mikkiki & Railyn. These were just a few of many who woke up each morning with a goal to make our day the best possible. They were always approachable, and ALWAYS doing everything and anything possible to make sure we were enjoying our time.

Thank you Grand Paradise Hotel, I would love to come back. This was my first vacation, and I could not have asked for anything better. You exceeded my expectations for any all inclusive vacation.

I highly recommend to anyone who enjoys having a good time in a nature filled resort to go here. If

Room Tip: we stayed in 1226 on the second floor and the room itself was gorgeous, but the VIEW was beautiful...
4  Thank Raeanne F
Reviewed 2 March 2014

Stayed February 22- March 1 and had a great time. The Los gallery's area has some world class beaches and it's easy to find a nice quiet one or even one to have to yourself. We were checked in very quickly, and the staff were great. We had no problem getting chairs on the beach even after 9 or so in the morning. We found something great at every meal, crepe's for breakfast the make your own pasta for dinner were always stand bye's. You can get dinner items and have them included in your pasta also, don't be limited, had the nights seafood thrown in several times. Really enjoyed the aquarium for 15 dollars we saw eels, crabs, tons of fish, corals, anemones, many conchs in their shells, awesome! Go to playa rincon, and see the whales. Take the path to the right on the beach and u end up on a hotel on a cliff over the ocean for a drink, very nice. Not to say there aren't areas for improvement, the food NEEDS more variety. Chairs on the beach need to be replaced, they have new ones at the pools so maybe their coming. A few cabanas or something similar on the beach to get a lil shade would be awesome. But you can definitely enjoy yourself and get some serious r and r. Would definitely visit again.

4  Thank Ben H
Reviewed 2 March 2014

This was my third time here and because I'm a return guest they upgrade you to VIP. Had the most amazing ocean front room with a fresh fruit platter. The staff went out of their way to make sure we had the best experience Geury at reception is the best! All the animation crew make you feel a part of the resort. Shout out to Riley (sorry I know that's not how you spell your name) participate in the activities and get to know the animation crew, they all work very hard to make sure you're having a great time
The beach is so incredible and the pools are clean and inviting.
I never had a bad meal and I'm vegetarian- always something good to eat. The Caipirinhas and Margarhetas are the best!!
Get off the resort and visit Playa Rincon and order fresh grilled red snapper the freshest most delicious fish I've ever had!!
This beach is incredible!!! There's nothing better than sipping a cold El Presidente on the beach while sharing lunch with friends!!
I love this place and you will too!

• Stayed: February 2014
Reviewed 1 March 2014

We staying from Feb 11-25, 2014. The renovations were a great upgrade from our visit last year. The weather was absolutely magnificent and the beach and grounds were impeccable. We enjoyed the entertainment especially Yoseff and Jessy. Margerita and I have a nice dance. Daniel was also very friendly. The manager Norris was very accommodating with our room selection, and it was very appreciated. The buffet was very enjoyable with an excellent variety, and the waitresses were always attentive and friendly. We would recommend a trip to this resort to all our friends and family. The only recommendation we could offer is that wifi be included with a stay. We will definitely be returning next year. Nino.

Room Tip: The second floor rooms beside the lobby was a great choice for us.
2  Thank Nino D
Reviewed 27 February 2014

I stayed the week of Feb 17th to 24th and it was perfect.

Our overall stay was fantastic in every way. We were greeted after a 90 minute bus ride by the costumed dancers and check in was very quick (book with Nolitours - Diane the rep is great. The grounds were well kept, The food was good with lots of options. The beach had a beautiful breeze and the grassy area was great for relaxing and staying sand free. I loved the private walkway with the turtles and fish and the private lake area for canoeing.

It is a very relaxing and beautiful spot in a very natural setting.

The entertainment team worked so hard all week to keep the guests engaged in many activities. A special thanks to Yonathan (good job with the towels and learning those dance routines), Abdujar (DJ at the disco!!), Erick (furry bear water aerobics - looky looky no touchy touchy), Lima, Jessi, Mikkiki, Margerita and Railyn, just to name a few, really made the week stand out.

The bartenders always served with a smile especially Louis and Gabriel.

And not to forgot the photographers! They were so much fun !

I will definitely return!

Room Tip: I stayed on the bottom floor of unit 5 and it was close to everything!
  • Stayed: February 2014, travelled solo
5  Thank leacoultz
Reviewed 27 February 2014

We stayed in Grand Paradise Samana from November 29th until December 21st. It was great, superb! We will definetly return there someday...

We landed in Puerto Plata and drove to GPS for about 4 hours. I liked it, because we saw a lot of the country on our way there, so it was like a trip.

Our CHECK IN was fast, so no problem there.

Our first ROOM was in building 2. It was a bit outdated (the bathroom is old, the furniture also), but all that mattered to us was the area surrounding the hotel, the grounds, the beach etc. We only needed the room to sleep in and to take a shower. I actually hope that the hotel won't renovate all the buildings, because if that happens, the hotel will most likely become too expensive.
The second room was in building 1, it was "renovated", which means that the furniture was new. The bathroom and floors were still old, which we didn't mind at all.
The important thing for us is, that the hotel overall was CLEAN. If you mind an old bathroom and expect luxury, maybe rooms in the newer building would be appropriate for you.

The FOOD was very good. We stayed in GPS for 3 weeks and were NEVER hungry. I don't know what kind of expectations some people have, but we were ALWAYS able to find a lot of great food to eat. The buffet was never too crowdy, which is probably because we visited right before the peak season. All in all - the food is great, whoever has a problem with it must be extremly picky and snobby.
I would also recommend to everyone to buy coconouts on the beach. The coconout water is refreshing and the cocnouts itself is delicious. In my opinion, it's really "a must".

The activities were ok, I guess. The animation team (with exeptions) was really unmotivated, but so were the guests. I, for example, would love to participate more, but the animators were not "pushy" enough, and I am not the type to run on stage all by myself, if you get the point. So I think it was a combination of boring guests and the team, who knew that the peak season was about to start so they were saving their energy. I did however go to stretching (about 4 times, Mikiki was really nice), water aerobics (I loved it, but lots of times it was cancelled) and I played volleyball, which was great fun. Maybe the animators aren't pushy when the majority of the guests are Europeans, that don't participate in the activities a lot...
One more thing - the Photo crew was amazing!! I got to know all of them, we had a lot of fun, it was great spending time with them... I expected the animation team to be like them! They were really, really nice, welcoming and great to talk and joke with. Too bad their photos were extremly expensive though.

The other staff were also very friendly and chatty. I got to know a lot of cooks, maids, bartenders.. All of them were SO nice.

The bars are beatiful, the selection of cocktails was great! They are all very nice and make the cocktails the way you like them, if you tell them how that is. I LOVED the carpirinha in the sport-bar, the girl thta works there was EXTREMLY nice, communicative, she remebered our favourites... She really was THE BEST.

The beach and the surroundings were the reason we came to GPS and it was well worth it!! It really is PURE paradise.. There is quite a lot of seaweed, so I would recommend to bring "water-shoes", just to be comfy. But if you only plan to lay or sit in the perfect carribean sea, the seaweed won't be a problem, because there is none in the shallow water!
Again - the beach and the whole area is really a nature paradise. I don't know any other words, to describe it better. PARADISE.

We went to National park Los Haites and to Cayo Levantado. It was ok, but the next time we'll be there, we will only book the trips with Rudy (Rudy's Rancho). I can guarantee that everyone has AMAZING time on his trips, that are really original and unforgettable.

If anyone has any other questions, you are welcome to ask!

All in all - I would recommend GPS to EVERYONE. It truly is a GRAND paradise and I can't wait to go back, although I usually don't go to the same place twice.

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled as a couple
#3 of 35 in Las Terrenas
The Bannister Hotel & Yacht Club
The Bannister Hotel & Yacht Club
#9 of 54 in Samana Province

Been to Grand Paradise Samana? Share your experiences!