“It was a brillant Holiday”

Grand Paradise Samana
Ranked #2 of 4 Hotels in Las Galeras
Reviewed 14 August 2014

The animation staff was friendly and i had a Lot of Fun
Mikiki was the best of them:)
I will come back soon
The Dinner was always very Fine everybody had something to eat

• Stayed: August 2014
3  Thank Crocker008
Write a ReviewReviews (3,867)

Reviewed 10 August 2014

I have visited Grand Paradise Samana with my mom and it was not the first time in Dominican Republic for us, but first time in Samana and in Grand Paradise. Few years ago we stayed in Bavaro (Punta Cana) so I could compare the diferences well.
Location: Grand Paradise is in a quiet area surrounded by mountains, palm trees and within walking distance to a small town of Las Galeras with several shops and restaurants. The distance from Santa Barbara de Samana town is app. 40 min by bus, from Puerto Plata Apt. 4 hours, quite long journey, but no problem. The place is really so nice, not so big as the resorts in Punta Cana. You can easily walk anywhere. The garden is really fabulous, with many palm trees and flowers, the gardiners are working so hard all the time to keep it nicely maintained and clean! The beach is so nice, no umbrellas but you do not need it since there is always a lot of places with shade. Sea is quiet, no waves, sometimes you can see fishes..We loved this beach so much. In the hotel area near the beach there is also eco-lake (lagoon) where there are many fishes and turtles and you sometimes can go cayaking there. Also there is a sport bar on the beach where you can find biliar, table tennis etc. There are 3 pools, not so big as for example in Punta Cana, but they are really nice, nicely surrounded by garden and palm trees and always clean.You can safely walk around, nobody will attack you etc and the walks are really amazing via beatiful nature. Sometimes there are even horses and cows since very near there is Rudy´s Ranch (there you can book horse ride).

Reservation and Check-in: quick, professional, each member of front office staff was nice, helpful, smiling and in case of questions they tried their best to help. We must give our best compliments to Mr. Samuel Vasquez whom I contacted prior to our arrival and asked to have rooms next to each on the first floor and we got really so nice rooms...Samuel was always on site, professional, with smile, ready to advice. Any manager should be like him. Thank you.

Rooms: nice, clean and spacious, we simply loved this. On the first floor, not so many stairs so even my mom who has problems with her knees could easily climb it. So nice view! I loved to sit on the balcony and watch she sunset. We did not find any bucks, moskitos or any other insect in the room, realy it was kept clean with fresh air. Air condition was quiet and working properly. What was important that there was no problem with hot water, we had hot water every time, no problems with pressure as they had in hotel in Punta Cana. Minibar is stocked with bottled water, sprite and cola. And yes! I almost forgot - the bed - two large beds, so comfortable, my mom said she wanted to take it home with her:) The only thing we were not used to was shower without flexible hose, only with shower head, it would be better to have possibility of having shower with hose especially for some people with disability etc., anyway no big problem for us but maybe tip for hotel.

Food and restaurants: buffet restaurant is close to reception and only 100 meters from the main pool. The restaurant is caribbean style, no walls, fantastic, so you can breathe fresh air always there. There is also beach restaurant on the beach opened for lunch and sometimes for dinner. In both restaurants the food was excellent, great variety, not cold, nicely decorated. I loved pasta station. Also at least 3 kinds of fruit every time, so we really appreciated it, especially maracuja, pina, fruit salad. For dinner there was also great selections of sweets etc. Always vegetable salads, great variety of meat, rice, potatoes, fried cheese, cheeses, ham, salami, 2 types of soups etc. I could not even write here everything. If someone writes here, that he got hungry or bored from food - do not trust him. Each day there was theme dinner, international, spanis, dominican, asia, italian, french etc. The asian one was for me the best. Every evening´s dinners were nicely decorated as well. We loved lemonade as well, unfortunatelly they did not have it for almost 2 weeks, as well as they did not have orange juice and sparkling water sometimes, but understand that they must order everything in advance and the delivery distance is pretty long.

Staff: almost everybody was really so nice, friendly, helpful. When we needed something to be repaired in our rooms, it was fixed almost immediatelly. From the auxiliary workers, gardeners, receptionists, waiters, bar staff, security staff to general manager - always greeting, saying hola and smiling. i am also working in a hotel business and I must admire I would love to have staff like here in my hotel if I am hotel owner. We would like to give our thanks especially to Samuel Vasquez (already mentioned above), David (restaurant waiter who always was remembering what we want to drink and was always highly profesional), Maria (bar), Susan (hostess) and many others. The service is not fast and not slow, it is tranki en spanish.. I like it better then to see everybody beeing in a hurry and running for something. We felt kind of family atmosphere there. We stayed in a hotel in lower occupancy time, so maybe it was also the reason for this. The only not really nice behavior was the behavior of 2-3 animation staff members (they did not say even hello to us, maybe they felt tired that we were there so long time or they simply chose to speak to other people, since we saw them really behave nice to some other guests, two guys wanted sex and money saying their salary is very low and when I refused, one got little bit annoyed and furious but ok it happens all around in Dominican republic). Anyway majority of animation staff was also nice, especially Jonathan, Pinky, Boombie, Margarita and the guy from tennis courts. And photoshop team of course I cannot forget. They and of course others whose names I did not write since there are so many nice people are really hard working, smiling and bringing good mood to you.

Entertainment and night shows, disco, excursions: there are many things to do if you do not enjoy quiet day on the fabulous beach. On the beach there are vendors selling excursions anyway they are OK, not bothering you, always ready to give you advice. You can go to many different excursions, I loved the los haitises national park, playa fronton and madame. If you decide to stay on the beach, during day you can take water aerobic lessons, step aerobic, zumba lessons, volleybal, archery, sometimes competitions, There was also possibility to borrow katamaran or kayak there, but we did not use this so I cannot tell more about this, but the guys from the spot for excursions and katamaran were nice, always saying hello etc even we did not buy anything from them.
The only real problem (especially for me, not my mom) was when the night started. The hotel is really quiet one and not the style like Punta Cana party and dancing. If you want to party and dance it is not the place to go, there is nothing not even in the village. In the night there was each day show in the Areito theatre (next to the buffet restaurant). First there was program for children but since it was low period with not so many guests, there were not so many children or no children at all. From cca. 9pm there was 2 songs when the animation staff went to dance with guests. From Punta Cana we were used to 30 minutes so it was really not so great since I love dancing especially merengue and bachata and I thought it will be like it used to be in Punta Cana. It is little bit pitty since dominicans are so good dancers and many guests I talked to were little bit surprised that there is almost no possibility of dance (see later). Who was dancing second song was taken into competiton (dance or other type), unfortunatelly almost the same all the time and not so great fun as we were used from Punta Cana. After this there was show and also in comparision with Punta Cana it was not so great and professional - they were almost the same moves, style, conciped for guests who are staying 1 week. After one week you get bored since it is almost the same choreography, only the name of show was different. In Punta Cana even in tunisia the variety was really great, you did not get bored (Lord of the Dance, Lion King, Grease show, Egyptian Show, Phantom of the Opera show, Hip Hop Show, Sketch show etc.). In Punta Cana were also sketches made for international guests so that everybody was laughing. Here the best show was pool show, which was really nice. On the other hand even there were only few guests the animation staff was trying to do their best and they performed show even for a few guests and it is not really easy job. As I have seen the animation staff is so good in dancing that I really do not understand why they do the same choreography all the time. They told me they are not professionals, but they are. So I think it is not a problem of animations staff, they do their best and they perform how they are required to do it, but maybe their manager and choreographer should consider to change choreography and widen (extend) the variety of shows - it is not the question of money but time and training. Also I would rather prefer if the hotel song is not performed only by animation staff, but why do they not try to involve guests to go to dance these hotel songs with them? It would be fun and I am sure many clients felt the same way since I spoke to them.
After the show the animation chief was inviting guests to visit their disco, that was located near the beach bar. The disco is in the hotel area and the drinks are included. Unfortunatelly this was second point that I was not so happy with (and not only me, but some other guests I spoke to, but I understand that not everybody is like me and not everybody is looking for night entertainment too) - there were very few people at disco, only on Friday and Saturdays there were more since the hotel was occupied these days with local dominican people. The music was really good, they also played merengue, bachata, reggeaton, sometimes dembow - so the real dominican music that I expect to hear in Dominican Republic. The pity was that almost nobody was dancing. Even the animation staff was not dancing so much, they mostly danced alone. In Punta Cana this was really different, here they did not seem mostly to try to involve guests (also the same in the shows). If I am manager there I would better permit other workers to go to disco or open disco to public so that there are at least some people.

Comment: For the weekends there were always many dominican people coming to the hotel. We do not have anything against local people, but what was not so nice was that they really did not value (respect, esteem) this hotel and its beautiful area - they did not respect that big effort of all employess to keep hotel area clean - is it so hard to give the cigarette to the nearest bin and not to throw it into the grasso or for example after their visit the toilets on the beach were always broken, dirty etc. It was really pitty.

The end: once again thank you Grand Paradise Hotel and staff. We appreciated the service as well as lovely beach, area and of course rooms and so good food. I am sure my mom would definitelly love to go back to this hotel if she can. And me too even I did not have so many chances to dance:) but other things were so nice.. Also many thanks to Mr. Vasquez and Mr. Ulloa and many others.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled with family
7  Thank Van V
Reviewed 8 August 2014 via mobile

We had an awesome time. It's a quite place, good to relax, but there's lots of excursions if you are a person that can't sit still. People are very friendly and service oriented which makes your stay there much more enjoyable. The food is very good, and the resort very clean.

• Stayed: July 2014
3  Thank fernanda m
Reviewed 8 August 2014

The surrounding area & Samana region are beautiful. The resort is clean, staff great, with working air con, water and all the other necessities. Food was better then I thought it would be. Some dishes were actually very good. Lot's of variety, wait staff attentive and pleasant. Drinks a plenty. Beach was great...did not like they block you off the small reef area (they make you pay to go out with guides). So snorkel time was limited unless you went off the resort. Whale watching close by (but check seasonality - they are only there for a while). Beaches are public in DR so be watchful of bringing expensive things down to the beach with you. On that note no one had anything stolen during our stay. Rooms & Bathrooms huge and spacious all with a balcony/terrace. Pools spread across the medium size resort, very walkable and beach access is very easy (Why swim in a pool when you have a beautiful ocean though). Adult pool was crowded with Quebecer's heavy smoke clouds followed...but they are wonderful people a bit of a tease ;). Small town near by was great but not much in terms of keeping you there...though we would stock up on local foods, alcohol and local snacks much cheaper.

Day trips from the resort to the surrounding areas are all great the falls are great, and make sure you get to Playa Ricon close by...it is fantastic and one of the best beaches in the islands (very little development). Bring your sunscreen and some water. Money for value this was a great buy. Weather was fantastic, sunsets beautiful, water awesome, local people welcoming and nice. If your complainer or high maintenance or expecting 5+ Star resort this is not it. If you want safe, local feel, solid money for value in a less developed tourist area...then book this. DR is beautiful and if your an active traveller...this region is bang on for you. DR is a diverse and stunning island...it quickly stole my heart.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled as a couple
5  Thank eBismarck
Reviewed 8 August 2014

i travelled solo to Grand Paradise Samana for a second time this year and had a lovely vacation.
The resort is the size that you can meet and get to know people very easily. It was quieter in May than it had been in March, when I first visited, but the quality of my vacation was still excellent.
I travelled around the Dominican Republic most of my first week, staying at different resorts along the way, so have others to compare to Grand Paradise. I feel that Grand Paradise is comparable to the other 4+ resorts I stayed at and deserves to go up in rating.
The staff work incredibly hard to make your vacation fun and worry free.
Thank you again to Yessi and everyone in animations, I look forward to seeing you again soon.
A big thank you also to Samuel Vasquez for listening and your professionalism always. You shine!!
I look forward to my next trip to Grand Paradise Samana. Thank you again my friends.

Room Tip: I love block 5, stayed in 5301 this time, it was a lovely big bright room.
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled solo
4  Thank Carolyn L
Reviewed 6 August 2014

My entire family of 19 relatives had a wonderful trip at Samana. The staff are warm and welcoming. Most importantly we enjoyed the night time entertainment provided by Kiko,s team. I will never forget Yessi, Lima, Judith, Pinky, Olga, Youseff, Jonathon, Anissio, Kaky, Margarita, Alexis, Andujar, and Bomby. The entertainers kept my children and myself glued to the end of our seats for the entire evening, every night. The costumes were elaborate, the dances filled with energy, the lighting spectacular. Kikos team consists of performers that can go places, if only they had the chance to get discovered. Wonderful really!

Last night we were treated to dances from around the world. We do not miss a single night of entertainment. It is well worth it. The children love it too and look forward to the kids mini disco, as they not only have games but also have a chance to win prizes. My family wishes Kikos team the best always. They are truly wonderful and we mean it from the bottom of our heart.

Room Tip: Stay close to the beach...having said that even the other rooms are easily accessible.
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family
2  Thank Antonio R
Reviewed 6 August 2014

The resort was way better than expected including the food, beach and activities. The best part was the staff. Met a really nice fellow named Mikiki, he made my stay awesome by participating in the activites and he was very friendly overall. Really reccommend staying here.

• Stayed: August 2014
#3 of 35 in Las Terrenas
The Bannister Hotel & Yacht Club
The Bannister Hotel & Yacht Club
#9 of 54 in Samana Province

Been to Grand Paradise Samana? Share your experiences!