“Lovely hotel”
Review of Ship Inn

Ship Inn
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Stonehaven
Reviewed 5 April 2014

My boyfriend and I stayed in Stonehaven just for one night and we were very glad that we chose the Ship Inn. The staff were absolutely lovely and the restaurant and bar had a nice homely atmosphere. Our room was perfect - nicely decorated and it had a lovely sea view. The modern bathroom was great too and the whole place was spotless. We didn't have dinner in the restaurant but on the second day we got our included cooked breakfast and it was amazing! We had to check out at 10am and our train wasn't until 4 but the lady allowed us to leave our bags with them while we explored the town until it was time to leave. Overall, I would definitely recommend the Ship Inn to anyone wishing to stay in Stonehaven!

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled as a couple

Reviewed 27 March 2014

I have stayed at the Ship many times and have never been disappointed yet. Not sure about the remarks from Ritchiescotland think they may just be tight!! Food has always been very good and the staff are very welcoming. I will be back again soon.

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled on business
Reviewed 23 March 2014

We visited the Ship around eight months ago. And the food was good. However we visited today and it was average, and in some cases poor.
The starters were ok at best, but very over priced. in particular the two very small haggis spring rolls priced at £6.50.
The mixed grills that the boys had were not that nice, over cooked and greasy. The special of the day I had was pork, it was dry and not nice. The three mixed grills got two small bowls of chips to share, the steak pie had by one of our party had a small bowl of veg that had to be shared with my dry pork.
Unfortunately it was a bit of a greasy spoon with nearly everything fried. Such a shame, as it was so nice last time we went.
The staff were busy, not friendly, perhaps it was because they were busy that they never asked if we wanted wine with our meal. However when we went to ask it was brought promptly.

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled with family
Reviewed 23 March 2014

Stayed for 2 nights and will stay again. Had a front room with nice views over the harbour. Room was clean with lots so space. It is double room.
Had a few beers, real ales were great, and food in the restaurant was also very good. Only stayed here as Aberdeen was full, but next time will check this place first. For variety, also a nice pub next door. Recommend the ship inn for stays, food and beer.

Stayed: March 2014, travelled on business
Reviewed 6 March 2014

I stayed at the Ship as an alternative the Aberdeen business hotels and was disappointed. Despite the hotel being empty they put me in a room at the back overlooking a shed and back alley with lots of kitchen noise. I'm annoyed with myself for not complaining and asking for a better room. However, if they want business, it is up to them to recognise they selling points such as the harbour view! The service was 'wooden' too. To add insult to injury I got stuck in traffic going to Aberdeen the next day!

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled on business
sjcshank, Owner at Ship Inn, responded to this reviewResponded 12 March 2014

This guest reserved his room (without harbour view) through Booking.com, so we did not "put" him in the room - he put himself in it. We make it crystal clear on Booking.com (and Laterooms and our own website) which rooms have views (7 out of 11 do) and reduce the price of the rooms without views. All the rooms were available when he made his reservation so he could have had a harbour view room if he wanted one - I can only assume that he didn't want to pay the slightly higher tariff (his room was £75.00 and he could have had a single room with harbour view for £80.00)

He was shown to his room by one of my staff so, if he wasn't happy, he could have said so at the time. I served the gentleman's breakfast and, as I always do, asked him if he had enjoyed his stay and he said that everything had been fine.

We are not in the least complacent or indifferent to our guests' satisfaction but, if a guest decides to book a room online, we respect their right to make their own choice. If any guest is less than satisfied with our service, they should do the decent thing and say so at the time - that way we can do something about it.

Simon Cruickshank - Proprietor, The Ship Inn

Reviewed 4 March 2014

This is the second time we've stayed in the Ship Inn, and we both really enjoyed it. The harbour view from the room was amazing. The restaurant food is excellent, althouigh not cheap - and very busy at friday/saturday dinner. The breakfast was great too - I just wish they served breakfast a bit later at the weekends like most other places do. The bar was good, but it was full all day saturday, so we couldn't really enjoy a quiet drink together there, and ended up going elsewhere. Victim of it's own success I guess. Overall I would definitely recommend the Ship Inn.

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 19 February 2014

This hotel is perfect for a visit to Aberdeen, without the cost and bustle of the city. My room was a double with a lovely view over the harbour and was clean, warm and very comfortable. The staff were very pleasant and the food first class and value for money. The malts behind the bar were many and varied, reasonably priced. I would definitely stay here again the next time I am in the area for business.

Room Tip: Face the harbour of you can - great to wake up to.