“Shabby”
Review of Belvedere Hotel

Belvedere Hotel
Ranked #15 of 27 Stonehaven B&B and Inns
Reviewed 7 October 2013

Nothing like the website photos. Really shabby and desperately needing refurbishment. The breakfast is advertised online as offering a vegetarian option and there isn't one! The only positive thing I can say - and the reason it gets 2 stars - is that it was clean enough (barely). A huge disappointment!

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled as a couple
Luv_ur_town, Owner at Belvedere Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 13 October 2013

I'm very sorry that you didn't enjoy your stay with us and I appreciate that the hotel needs updated. Our refurbishment project is actually starting this month.
I would however like to respond to a couple of points which I feel were unfair and inaccurate: The only difference between the website photo and the actual room you stayed in was that the furniture had been rearranged and new curtains installed.
Also, we offer cereals, porridge, croissants with grapefruit & mandarins, any type of egg dish and also potato scone with mushrooms, tomato, baked beans & egg as standard on our breakfast menu. If you had informed us in advance of a particular requirement, it would have happily been met.
Regards

Sheila

Reviewed 9 August 2013

I visit reugularly and find this small friendly hotel ideal for my need , good food great staff and a clean comfy bed for the night what more can you ask for
i travel regularly so i would advise booking in advance as there can be nights when i am sitting there and see them turning people away

Room Tip: first floor rooms are great
  • Stayed: August 2013, travelled on business
Reviewed 3 August 2013

Enjoyed a lunch sitting out in the rear of the premises in what was a lovely secluded beer garden. The garden was well attended too and we were with friends who had a young granddaughter with them. The set up of the garden allowed her to run about and play on the grassy area in safety, while we were able to enjoy our lunch. The food was of a good standard, the service pleasent and attentive. I was last in these premises over 15 years ago and the change in both the standard of food and appearance of the place was very different, all to the better. A bit of a hidden gem and one in which I fully intend to revisit soon. To be able to sit in the rear garden and enjoy the food, the sun and not be able to hear the traffic in the middle of the town was indeed a bonus. Well worth a visit.

Stayed: August 2013, travelled with friends
Reviewed 3 August 2013

We stayed 2 nights at a cost of £150 for a double room & breakfast. We in fact booked a double room, but were presented with a very run down twin. The owner, to be fair, changed our room from the second floor to the first floor when I explained because of a small mobility problem, I would hace difficulty climbing two flights of stairs. She said the other room was a twin also, as the people who were staying for a week had been given a double, we were only staying for two nights......But I Booked A Double!!! Why did they not tell me at the booking stage??
The washbasin was in the bedroom, bathroom had shower and toilet only - very inconvenient. The shower was tiny, and I and my average sized large husband had great difficulty getting in and out. We were given only one handtowel between the two of us on both days, we did get two bathtowels - call me old fashioned, but we don't normally share our handtowel.
The taps to the washbasin (in the bedroom) constantly dripped, I found them very difficult to turn off, had to get hubby to do this for me.
No chair of any description in the large bedroom, no residents lounge, only a couple of tables in the bar available to just sit and have a drink, as other tables used for non-residents dining.
The food served was very good, and this is obviously a popular place for local people to eat, and was very busy.
The staff were very pleasant, and the owner did say they were refurbishing as they were going along, BUT I think they are charging far too much for the facilities offered.
Would NOT stay here again.

Room Tip: The above rating, please note, there was no swimming pool or room service. Please ensure that when...
  • Stayed: August 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Sandra R
Luv_ur_town, Owner at Belvedere Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 18 August 2013

I'm sorry that you weren't satisfied with your stay in our hotel recently, we do endeavor to make our guests feel welcome. I would like to take this opportunity to respond to a few of the points you made: Your booking was made directly through our website, and if you check your automated reservation confirmation (as I have done), you'll note that you did indeed reserve a twin room NOT a double. In our hotel, you get the room type requested, we do not disrespect peoples' choices. Also I think that you've misunderstood my remark regarding people staying a week.... what I said was that the slightly larger of the two TWIN rooms had been allocated to people booked in for the week (the assumption being that they would have more luggage. However, because of your requirements I gave you this room instead of the smaller one upstairs. With regards to pricing, we are average for this area, the local Premier Inn charges £139 per night. I would also like to say that in the 20 months that we've owned the property, we have not only not increased the prices, we have actually reduced the prices of the larger rooms. The bathrooms as you've said are not the best, but they are going to be refurbished this year. Rome wasn't built in a day! We don't have a residents lounge, we don't claim to. Finally, you mention that we don't have a swimming pool (Room tips), I'm afraid I don't know of any two star standard hotels who do, and it certainly isn't listed as one of our facilities on our website. I hope that you find somewhere that better meets your needs on your next trip. Kind Regards Sheila (owner)

Reviewed 16 July 2013

We stayed here for one night and enjoyed the pub downstairs. The room was ok but there were no real drapes on the windows to cut out the light so we didn't really have the best sleep. I have to say that the staff and owners were very friendly and there were quite a few "regulars" in the bar. The breakfast was great and made to order so our stomachs were filled when we left the next morning. The hotel is within walking distance to all the shops, restaurants and the bay so the location is excellent.

Room Tip: There is no elevator to you have to hump your luggage up the stairs.
  • Stayed: July 2013, travelled with family
1  Thank Connie W

Hi, thanks for your review. I'm sorry that no-one offered to carry your bags for you - that's generally what my husband is for! Please accept my apologies. As to your comment re the curtains - this has now been addressed and full curtains put up in the room Regards Sheila

Reviewed 28 April 2013

Have been for lunch twice since the new ownership. The food is fabulous. Top quality restaurant style and very well presented. You can have smaller portions which are quite adequate. I had a smaller main meal of lasagne today at just £5.95 and along with a pudding at £4.95 it made a very cheap meal. I had the apple crumble again as it was so delicious (I attach a photo). It is a most unusual crumble in that the apple is in slices so is soft but still with a bit of firmness, but the crumble sits nicely on top. The first time I visited was with my family who ate a range of dishes and all enjoyed them. The only downside is that the bar area is looking a bit shabby. However I believe that the whole place is under renovation. The view out to the garden is lovely though and as it is now Spring (at last!) it is looking bright and cheerful. It will be nice to sit out there in the summer as there are tables and a smokers corner. The owners and staff are very friendly and welcoming. Would recommend to anyone for a cheap lunch or evening meal.

• Stayed: April 2013, travelled with family
1  Thank RobRoys
Reviewed 5 April 2013

We were planning on having dinner in another restaurant, but because i had failed to book a table, we ended up at the Belvedere. Ok, the place looks a bit run down, but the food was excellent. My husband enjoyed a nice meat pie, I had a delicious curry chicken balti and my son had a tasty hamburger and chips. We would certainly recommend this place if you want to have a nice, honest meal.

• Stayed: April 2013, travelled with family