“Simple but fabulous fresh seafood on the East Coast”

The Captain's Table at the Ship Inn
Ranked #2 of 39 Restaurants in Stonehaven
Cuisines: Seafood, Scottish
Good for: Local cuisine
Dining options: After-hours, Dinner, Breakfast, Lunch, Delivery, Reservations
Description: Historic inn (1771) on the edge of Stonehaven's picturesque harbour. Stylish glass-fronted restaurant (38 covers) with extensive and varied menu. Seafood a speciality and daily specials board. Meals also served in cosy bar which offers a good range of draught (including real Ales)and bottled beers and ciders. Wine available by the glass or from wine list. Over 100 Single Malt whiskies. Wide selection of soft drinks and excellent freshly ground coffee.We also have an outside terrace overlooking the harbour where we serve meals (weather permitting).11 luxurious ensuite bedrooms (7 with harbour views).
Reviewed 26 June 2014

Plenty to drink and eat here, but we came for the razor clams, the crab claws and the mussels. Possibly the best razor clams I have had. Juicy, so fresh and tender. The weather did not disappoint this day and it was very busy, but there were plenty of staff on hand to take our orders and serve us drinks in a timely fashion. Well worth the visit as well as a walk around the harbour afterwards.

1  Thank StevieHK

Reviewed 22 June 2014

When arriving at the Ship Inn we were greeted by the owner who was very friendly and helpful contrary the review below. He immediately got us a table and we were seated promptly by a girl who I believe was called Laura (very polite young lady). The menu was amazing and when the food arrived it looked and tasted superb! The other waitress with the pink bow (Nicole I think her name was) was very attentive and smiley. Overall a great dining experience and ideal setting for a first date.

I think she may let me take her out for a second ;)

Reviewed 19 June 2014

Fathers day is suppose to be a special day of the year, we decided to head to the Ship Inn for dinner as we have eaten there many times before and the food is ok for the money. A friendly young girl asked us if we wanted drinks which we ordered. I ordered my usual alcoholic beverage (which incidently I have drank for over 25 years), when the drink was brought to my table I refused it on the basis of the liquer was 'off' (my words) cointreau goes a cloudy colour when lemonade is added to it and this drink was clear and tasted of nothing no orange flavour at all. The very rude owner proceeded to approach my table in a very abrupt manner and told me that there was nothing wrong with the drink and I was wrong in saying what I was saying the only drink he said went cloudy was pernod, he would not go and get another bottle (claiming he had none, oh how convenient). For someone in the trade he really should update his knowledge with his products. We ate our meal which was mediocre and paid for the priviledge of being insulted. Needless to say we will not be dining back there again and have already been spreading the work at work as too my experience with the owner. Subsequently my daughter wrote a review to which the owner reported her to trip advisor and she was told to amend the review, every word she said was accurate. If you dont like the reviews owner of the Ship Inn then give better service and try and be nicer to your customers people dont appreciate being called 'liars'.

17  Thank J M
sjcshank, Owner at The Captain's Table at the Ship Inn, responded to this reviewResponded 21 June 2014

I do not generally comment on Tripadvisor reviews as I believe you should take the rough with the smooth, and about 85% of our restaurant reviews are "excellent" or "very good" so we must be doing something right. That does not mean that I am complacent or enjoy receiving negative reviews. I always endeavour to ensure that any shortcomings - on the part of my staff or me - are addressed.

The only reason that I requested that the previous review - which this lady claims was written by her daughter - be removed, was that it was personally abusive and defamatory. Not because it was a gross distortion and exaggeration of what actually happened - which it was.

Other than the removal of the personal abuse and defamation, this seems to be pretty much a re-telling of the daughter's story. I will not comment further, other than to state that this is not at all how I, or my staff, remember the exchange.

Simon Cruickshank - Proprietor, The Ship Inn, Stonehaven.

Reviewed 9 June 2014

We are regular visitors to The Ship. We enjoy the relaxing views that surround it and the food is always great. Carol and the other waiting staff always have a friendly face even when they are rushed off their feet. It's also a great place if u just fancy a little drink on a hot sunny day. X

Reviewed 8 June 2014

We had fish and chips today and the food was good. Enjoyed the little view also on the old harbor in Stonehaven. Will go again definitely.