“Beautiful and freeing”
Review of Dunnottar Castle

Dunnottar Castle
Ranked #1 of 17 things to do in Stonehaven
More attraction details
Owner description: Majestic 14th-century castle located on a rugged cliff overlooking the coast.
Reviewed 23 March 2018

We got lucky with the weather and the trek from Stonehaven beach till the castle was great! Beautiful scenery, peace like no other though you're still aware of the bustling life in the distance, and just a very nice place to visit in general for anyone who likes long walks and history!

Write a ReviewReviews (2,697)
All reviews
in 51 reviews
"per adult"
in 17 reviews

Reviewed 22 March 2018 via mobile

My husband is not into castles but seemed to enjoy himself . We looked in every section, watched the seagulls, looked for puffin, gazed at the sea and saw a pod of dolphins and effectively walked over every part of the castle we were allowed into! I loved it and too many photos. I’m not a great walker but I managed the steps.

Reviewed 20 March 2018 via mobile

Visited here as it was to be a highlight of our time seeing family up north. Unfortunately the polar freeze had shut the castle so could only see from far. People still came to look by the bus load even though the resort was closed...pity a lot of revenue on hot cuppas are going a miss. I was also disappointed to notice that motorbikes are not welcome. As a biker I find this unfair when massive busses are visiting why is a motorbike not allowed...

Jim_Wands312, Manager at Dunnottar Castle, responded to this reviewResponded 21 March 2018

Hi Lechop,

Thanks for taking the time to leave us a review.
We can't control the weather unfortunately, and I dislike losing revenue probably more that you! I'm glad you still think we are a 'must see' and you got to see the views from the clifftops though, they are spectacular and the Scottish weather often adds to the drama of the setting.
Motorbikes, and their riders, are more than welcome at the Castle, there are 21 designated parking spaces from them in the coach park, and we sometimes manage to squeeze more than this in at busy times.

Kind regards
Jim

Reviewed 18 March 2018

One of the most unspoiled castle I have ever visited. All the paths around the area leave space for the imagination. Fantastic castle, one of the best attraction I have visited.

1  Thank andrei_petrescu