“Child friendly”

Price range: US$5 - US$12
Cuisines: Scottish, Cafe
Good for: Local cuisine, Child-friendly
Dining options: Breakfast, Reservations
Description: At Kirktown Garden Centre we aim to take full advantage of this beautiful part of the world we live and work in by celebrating the local. Restaurant: We use local suppliers and even use our own reared Aberdeen Angus where possible. We offer a ever changing menu that has traditional Scottish favorites, homemade soups and sandwiches & great options for kids. On top of this we have a great selections of fresh homemade cakes. Food Shop: Bring the local home with you. We sell our own veg and an extensive selection of our Aberdeen Angus cuts. We also have a wide range of products from other great local producers. Garden Centre: And of course, we are still a garden centre. With a large range of plants and a great team of experts to help you.
Reviewed 16 August 2014 via mobile

Popped in here with my son while on a long journey. It was an ideal place to pull in as the wee man was well catered for, high chair, changing facilities and kids menu. the service with very quick and we were back on the road in no time feeling refreshed

1  Thank SaladinBay

Reviewed 14 August 2014

Hadnt been here for 4months or so dropped in for a full breakfast which was very very good !! Fast service from a smiley friendly waitress who could not do enough for me . Food all freshly cooked and top quality !!
Bought a couple of fillet steaks from butcher department and had them at home for dinner. Full of flavour and we both loved them !
Well done you guys .we will be back before too long !

1  Thank capricebar
Reviewed 7 August 2014

Been a regular customer here for many years, today went from bad to worse.
My invalid wife in wheel chair (mushroom omelette)
Myself (full English)
Grand daughter (sausage, egg & beans)
Waited far too long for our morning breakfast to be delivered - not busy at the time.
Noticed some of the food was ready and was placed on the hot counter waiting for delivery to table (heat lights were not switched on.) Tried to encourage waitress to deliver what was ready so that we could at least start with freshly cooked food, didn't happen and wait was longer.
All meals finally delivered to table.
Two eggs on my plate were not well cooked, one had the yoke broken and fried hard, the other looked OK but the yoke was solid, complained to waitress who brought the lady cook over, who didn't seem to think anything was wrong, bit of a stand off, but eventually she asked me what I wanted and I told her a decent fried egg with soft runny yoke! She obliged and eventually turned up with a well done yokey egg which was placed on top of the other two poor examples at my request as I did not want the rest of my breakfast being delayed and taken away. I completed my breakfast, leaving the original egg for disposal. The rest of my full English breakfast was OK, but it did look as if it had been prepared for some time and was waiting to be delivered to my table hence the delay in service initially.
The above would have been OK and no more would have been said especially via this feed back service, however whilst I was eating my breakfast, my wife told me that she couldn't eat her omelette, and complained to me that it was too dry and very greasy, consequently she left it uneaten. I was waiting to get the waitress attention to this matter, normal service staff will ask customers if all is OK with their food/service, however this did not happen, so I made my point on the omelette to the waitress when it came to payment and told her the problem with the omelette and said I hope you do not expect me to pay for the omelette, she couldn't make this decision and went back to the lady cook, who said I had no option but to pay as this is the way we cook our omelettes, she was told I do have an option and can I speak to do manager, the cook went away to find the manager, she was gone a very long time which further frustrated my experience as was left amongst other customer coming and going. I went to find the cook whom I located in the main shop area and she said the manager was not here. I then wondered what was next, I soon found out as a very angry looking elderly gentleman came walking over to confront me, so I began to explain my complaint _ I assumed he was some form of management and I requested that we talked somewhere in private rather than create further embarrassment in front of other customers and staff, but he was insistent that we talked there and then in full view of all. With complete disregard for decent customer relations he began to quiz me on my complaint in a very aggressive, threatening manner, I did tell him I found his attitude and manner was not conducive to showing respect to his customers and quickly realised he was not really interested in my complaint, he mentioned my story on the full English I ate, but this was not my complaint, poorly cooked eggs happen and it was sorted. I think he was under the impression that I did not want to pay for any of our meals, so he was told I was willing to pay but not for my wife’s omelette. More heated words were had between both of us as he was not willing to listen, he did mute something about not wanting his staff talked to like that - like what I wondered. Obviously customers are not entitled to complain about poor service and poor quality cooked food. He angrily told me to go, not to pay and no payment was made.
Now I know that there are two sides to every story and I apologise for being drawn out with my side but I feel we need to grasp the whole situation, I may have not been so diplomatic with the cook on the standard of her cooking, but she obviously thought there was not a problem and was defending the meals as being ok, but insisting on payment was clearly not going to be an option from a customers perspective - a stand off between us developed and became more apparent when there was no sympathy showed from the elderly gentleman who eventually confronted me.
Confrontation it was as he obviously lacks people skills and the more important customer relation skills.
So to conclude I would suggest Training to the elderly gentleman in the above and perhaps anger management. (Sorry I should have asked whom I was talking to, but names would not matter in this case- he will know who he is)
Training to your cook in presentation, cooking eggs and making omelettes and handling complaints about her cooking.
Myself, I will continue to taste the wares of the many other cafes, restaurants, pubs etc., when I am in Stonehaven, regretfully Kirktown will not be on my list from now.
I trust there will be a constructive review of my comments as I have always in the past enjoyed my visits to this garden centre and the many others around the Shire but this experience was not good.
Good luck for the future

3  Thank Bernie P
Reviewed 31 July 2014

We stopped here for lunch after visiting the Dunnottar castle. My wife had the Lunch Time Filler which was a scone with ham, cheese, and tomato while I had the beef pie with gravy and chips. Both were very good. The tomatoes with my wife's dish were fresh and so good. They say that they use local fresh produce and I believe it.

Service, while a bit sparse from what I'm used to, was very friendly. Prices were also reasonable.

1  Thank Michael S
Reviewed 7 July 2014

First visit for a long time, the menu, the specials and the service were all good. The quality of food was very good and given its location on what was a warm day, it was great to be able to sit outside and enjoy the sun. Given how close it is to the main road, the noise from it was well muted and screened. We enjoyed it so much we bought some home made cakes for home consumption and we were not disappointed. Recommended for day time food, also the adjoining garden centre looked interesting.

1  Thank Aberdeenvoyager