“A smile would have been nice.”

The Tolbooth Seafood Restaurant
Ranked #5 of 37 Restaurants in Stonehaven
Price range: US$26 - US$58
Cuisines: Seafood, Contemporary
Good for: Local cuisine, Romantic
Dining options: Dinner, After-hours, Lunch, Reservations
Description: Intimate fine dining serving fresh local seafood in beautiful historic surroundings.
Aberdeen, United Kingdom
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“A smile would have been nice.”
Reviewed 4 June 2014

Lovely setting and lovely meal. Just wish I could say the same for front of house/manager. All other waiters/waitresses were lovely but the manager didn't smile once when we were there.

Visited May 2014
1 Thank Gayle545

Stonehaven, Aberdeenshire, Scotland
“Over priced and little atmosphere”
Reviewed 28 May 2014

I'm not one to write a less than positive review, however, the Tollbooth in my opinion is over priced and lacks any ambience. I suppose dining is a personal thing, I'm sure there are those that like to spend a fortune on wine and a drizzle of sauce on their plates, but not me. It was the lack of atmosphere that was the disappointment, a large room that felt empty. Would I recommend the Tollbooth, but if you want to flash your money and get little change from £100 this is the place for you.

• Visited January 2014
2 Thank DavidandVal7
Edinburgh, United Kingdom
“Unfriendly and overpriced”
Reviewed 24 May 2014

Food was ok but the front of house staff had the warmth of the slightly over cooked fish I just ate.
Average meal meal with an expensive price.

• Visited May 2014
Newcastle upon Tyne, United Kingdom
“Mediocre and very expensive.”
Reviewed 23 May 2014

I dined in this establishment on a Sunday lunch with my friends, The set menu was £26 for lunch but nearly everything worth eating had a supplementary charge so it was a very expensive Sunday lunch in this small Scottish town.
The restaurant is on a first floor in a converted warehouse and although recently converted the décor is unimaginative and mediocre.
likewise the staff were smartly dressed but lacked flair.
My lunch was only Ok but when I commented on one of the dishes to the waitress the Manageress came rushing up in an aggressive manner and demanded to know if I was complaining! With an attitude like that I wouldn't dare! I was already eating and it was extremely bad manners to interrupt my lunch.
Overall it was a very poor and expensive experience . I will definitely not be back.

• Visited May 2014
Aberdeen, United Kingdom
“Very unfriendly and unreceptive.”
Reviewed 12 May 2014

We climbed the steps to the restaurant to be turned away quiet abruptly with 'sorry, we're closed' - which would have been fine if we hadn't noticed their sign stated that they were open again for dinner time in only half an hour.... we would have waited or come back after some time but were put off by the way we were treated. Went elsewhere.

Visited May 2014