“Loved it!”

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Amazon River
Tariri Amazon Lodge
Oslo
“Loved it!”
Reviewed 11 March 2014

This is a very special place. For us this was exactly what we were looking for when we came to the Amazon. We deliberatly avoided the larger more luxurious options like Anavilhas and Juma, hoping for a more personal experience at Tariri. This was just perfect and everything we has hoped for! The cabins are simple and rustic, but very clean and well kept. No damp or funny smells from the bedding, towels e.t.c. Beds were comfortable. No airconditioning, but good mosquito nets on all the windows so you can keep windows open and fall asleep comfortably to the sound of the jungle.

The setting is so beautiful and the people are so lovely. Fabiola and Germano are such good hosts, and we felt so lucky to be their guests. The food was absolutely delicious, definitely the best fish we have had in Brazil. Homebaked fresh bread and cakes several times per day, lots of fresh vegetables, fresh juice e.t.c.

We also loved all the excursions. Our kids loved every moment of every day and they will always remember this trip. I would warmly reccomend this place to anyone!

• Stayed March 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank sildre

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (26)
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 7 February 2014 via mobile

I read all the reviews on TripAdvisor and knew to expect good things from Tairiri. What I didn't expect was to fall in love with it and everything about it.  Would I change anything?  I ponder this in detail.

We travel by speedboat (not worth the extra cost) to the lodge and there's a great deal of laughter because the ramshackle 'speedboat' breaks down about 5 minutes from the shore.  Should I call it a port instead?  I don't know but to me it looks coastal as the River Negro is so vast, occasionally stretching to the horizon where water meets blue sky.  Eventually,  and after a few false starts, we continue on to Tairiri Lodge at good speed.   After about 2 hours, we spy the lodge and receive a wonderfully warm welcome from Fabiola and Germano and a drink of fresh juice.   It's made using a native fruit which is different from anything else I have tasted before.   It is not unpleasant.

We are shown to our cabana, a wooden cabin on stilts with a palm topped roof nestling harmoniously in the shade of the forest facing the water with the sounds of birds and cicadas all around.  It is lovely and we immediately settle in after we all jostle each other to lay in the only hammock right outside our cabana.  This good natured jostling continues for the week we spend at Tairiri.  There are other hammocks and chairs on the raised terrace near the entrance to Tairiri, a perfect spot to read or watch the sun go down and to maybe escape each other.

The cabins are wooden. Inside is basic yet comfortable and facilities are adequate but equally basic.  Don't expect a modern, totally kitted out cabana or you will be disappointed.   There's no fridge.  The shower runs cold until the sun warms it up in the afternoon but cold showers are refreshing in the heat and humidity of the jungle anyway.  The lighting inside isn't the best.   There's no mobile phone network coverage and no internet. Expect insects.   Having said all that,  the lack of facilities added to the overall relaxation, experience and ambience of the lodge and I wouldn't change a thing.  Even my step daughter said she enjoyed not being connected and it was a nice escape from the drama of teenage life.

Breakfast is wonderful and consists of bread, muffins, cake, fresh fruits, scrambled eggs, cold meat, eg. ham and cheese.   There's also tea, coffee and juices.  Other feathered guests also drop in hoping for tid bits.  The beautiful macaw especially likes a variety of morsels. The parrots are welcome and are rarely a nuisance.  The family put out bird seed for them in bird trays and in addition to the parrots you can see other beautiful birds in the trees if you watch a while and in between activities there is plenty of time to while away the day. We chatted,  played cards, read,  put videos together,  swung in the hammocks, etc. Some people swam in the river and we meant to but never did.

Lunch is also delicious and at this time there is, for example: rice or cassava chips,  manioc flour,  a fish mousse, chicken curry, salads and a desert.  It may be worth noting that I only liked the Brazillian chips and manioc flour here.  I didn't like it when I'd tried it elsewhere in Brazil.

Dinner was much like lunch, although not the same menu, and there was also the addition of soup.  Fabiola's soups are worthy of a separate mention because they are just so nice and every guest seemed to compliment her on it daily.

We were never hungry,  except perhaps after an active couple of hours walk in the jungle led by Germano and followed at the rear by his Father who watched out for us all making sure we were all safe.  It was a very interesting and informative walk and myself and my husband and the other adults all enjoyed it.  The teens, one being my step daughter and the other two belonging to an American family didn't; however, I was happy and proud of our daughter's behaviour in that she participated without grumbling at all. Perhaps it was just becsuse she didn't have a brother or sister along on this trip to verbally spa with.  It was wet, hot and very humid after the overnight rains but it's to be expected and to some, but not to us, it may be considered to be more a test of endurance.  We all needed a shower on our return before lunch to wash the dirt and sweat away.   Definitely don't miss the jungle walk as it is a good experience. Ideal attire for this activity is strong,  thick soled boots.  I wore DM's and I was glad of them as hubby got an fire ant in his training shoe and a spike from one of the trees through the sole.  A hat to protect against falling items, long trousers tucked into socks in your boots. A long sleeve cotton shirt.  Jungle spray to protect against mozzies although we were rarely bitten and other guests said the same.

The cayman hunting at night was exciting and a lot of fun and I suggest you take a kagool or waterproof jacket as it rained heavily on the return back to the lodge which made us feel a little cold.

The fishing was both leisurely and exciting when we felt a nibble on the meat on the hook.  I didn't manage to hook one.  One man in our group did but in his excitement he flung the little fellow out of the water and far out back into the black, velvety water. I strongly recommend that you wear sunscreen and a sun hat or cap.

As we were there for 6 days, we also went canoeing.  I am not sure if this is a regular activity and if not - what a pity.  It is a lovely tranquil time without the sounds of the motor on the boat and other people.  We also saw cormorants and eagles.  The area is stunningly rich, lush and fertile.

We were going to do an overnighter in the forest but my step daughter wasn't at all impressed by the prospect of sleeping in  hammocks out in the open even if we would be watched by Germano, his Father and the ever watchful, friendly,  cross breed Dalmatian dogs - so although I had previously arranged this activity we were able to cancel without being penalised.

The activity where we got up close with the pink dolphins was fantastic.  You really appreciate the size and strength of these animals during an encounter with them.  I was really happy we decided to do this as it was one of the highlights of our trip and we got some great photos.

We are now in Rio De Janeiro getting ready for the frantic excitement of the New Year 2014 celebrations and I awoke this morning at 3am and 5am to people in the streets still partying.  There are cheers and whoops of delight, whistles being blown and the odd car beeping as someone dances in the road oblivious to the traffic and I cannot help but long for a return to Tairiri.  Being awoken at 5am by the dawn chorus as I have never heard the likes of before is wonderful and I would like to replace the street sounds with it right now.

So, would I change anything about Tairiri Lodge? The answer is a resounding no.  It is simply perfect the way it is and I hope they don't make any 'improvements' and if I am lucky enough to return one day, I find it unchanged.

Thank you to Fabiola and Germano and the extended family,  some of whom work tirelessly behind the scenes,  for being such wonderful hosts. We felt as if we were guests of friends in their home such is the warmth and hospitality provided. I left feeling enriched, recharged,  blessed as never before after a holiday.

If you are considering staying at a lodge in the Amazon, I wholeheartedly recommend Tairiri Lodge

Stayed December 2013, travelled with family
7 Thank nicksibubs
Vancouver, Canada
Reviewed 26 December 2013

Tariri was precisely what we were looking for an in an Amazon "adventure." Fabiola and Germano were excellent hosts, the lodge is big enough to be comfortable and capable, but small enough that the guests feel more like friends and family than customers.

Our sweet spot for what we were looking for was pretty tight - we didn't want a sheltered, Disney experience where we would feel like we were being pandered to, but we also didn't want to be scooping snakes out of our bed on the end of a stick. Tariri hits a perfect note between being rustic enough to really feel like we were in the jungle, and smartly built and well maintained enough that we always felt safe.

We arrived in Manaus late, with no luggage, thanks to Air Canada. The driver who picked us up - Mario - went so far beyond the call of duty that we can't begin to thank him enough. He was patient, tireless, helpful, and friendly. We arrived at Tariri wearing the clothes we'd left Vancouver in and holding a carrier bag with a fresh change of underwear, under the mistaken impression that our luggage might catch up with us sometime before we were scheduled to leave again. Even that appalling and exhausting beginning couldn't take the shine off the next three days.

Germano is friendly and extremely knowledgeable from first hand experience in the jungle all his life. Fabiola is equally warm and helpful, and presents meal after meal of delicious local food. She deserves to be very proud of the quality and presentation of the food at Tariri. It was full of personal touches. I can't imagine two better hosts.

Tariri is spartan, but they are well organized and take great care in maintaining the facilities. The cabin was roomy, comfortable, clean, and quiet. Well... this is the jungle. During the day you hear a few birds singing, but at night the place is a riot with insect noises. There is a small thrill in walking down the walkway, suspended a good 20 feet above the jungle floor, in the dark, completely surrounded by a howling chorus of unseen creatures. Don't get me wrong - it was amazing and fantastic. I loved every second of it.

We were scheduled for a four day stay, but the airline mess-ups shortened that to three. Fabiola and Germano made extra efforts to adapt their schedule of events to make sure we were able to do the things we wanted.

We fished for piranha, went out caiman hunting at night, trekked through the jungle, visited a small caboca community and learned all about manioc and brazil nuts, and swam with the famous pink dolphins. It always felt like a friend was showing us around his neighbourhood, rather than a package tour.

Tariri is the kind of place that I'm nervous about giving it the review it deserves because, frankly, I want to keep it as my little secret. My hope (and suspicion) is that rather than turn their successful business into a sprawling mega-lodge, they will instead keep it small and personal, with a waiting list for reservations that extends years into the future.

Thank you Fabiola, Germano, and all the lovely staff. It was experience of a lifetime and I can't imagine it any better.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple
4 Thank Adam S
New Haven, Connecticut
Reviewed 11 December 2013

Germano and Fabiola are amazing!
Fabiola's food is great!
The small details make a huge difference and it was a factor for us to really like this place!
Tours were great....attention was outstanding... Germanos' knowledge of the area was eyeopening....our "lodge" was really comfortable.
Thanks for an amazing time!

• Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank briana618
Rockville, Maryland
Reviewed 9 December 2013

We just came back from our stay at Tariri. It was absolutely wonderful. The place is owned and run by Germano and Fabiola, along with their extended family.
Germano is a fantastic guide, extremely knowledgeable about the Amazon and the area. The excursions that he led by boat or the walk through the forest were very informative and fun. He knows all about the plants, the animals, and the communities in the area.
Fabiola took care of the hotel and the cooking. The food was well-presented and very tasty. She bakes and cooks from local food sources, mostly fish. She takes special care to bake bread in the shape of jungle animals and flowers. The hotel is kept very clean and well-maintained.
The accommodations are rustic wood cabins with straw roofs. The cabins are on stilts to keep them above the water during the flood season. They are served by walkways that are also on stilts. Each cabin has a bathroom with a toilet, a sink, and a shower. The sleeping area is spacious and has an electric fan. Our cabin had a queen size bed and a single bed. Some of the cabins have more beds, up to one queen and three singles, so they should be better for families. The cabins have lots of small windows that bring in the view of the trees. Each window has a wood pane to keep the light out if you wish, and mosquito net to keep the bugs out. We kept our windows open at night to let the air in and to listen to the sounds of the jungle. In front of each cabin there is a small verandah with a hammock.
The lodge doesn't have swimming pool, but the lake serves the purpose. There is a long sloped walkway that continues into the water, so you can enter the water through there or through the floating dock. Bring plenty of sunscreen and a hat. Most of the excursions are by boat out in the sun.
There are very few mosquitoes in the area, but bring bug repellant anyway. Some of the excursions go through areas that might have bugs.
Tariri provided service beyond our expectations and fantastic value for our money.

• Stayed December 2013, travelled as a couple
3 Thank Henrique K
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 6 October 2013

This is a family run lodge on the Rio Negro. It is run by Germano and Fabiola and their family. The warmth and hospitality of this lodge are evident from the moment you contact them via email and it only gets better when you get there. The cabins are rustic, but perfectly good for being out in the forest. The activities offered are good fun, interesting, relaxing and educational. Seeing animals in the Amazon forest isn't easy and it's not like in the Pantanal. If you want to see animals, then you must go to the Pantanal. Nevertheless, we saw sloths, monkeys, all kinds of birds, caimans and river and pink dolphins. The lodge is located a couple of hours from Manaus and feels much farther away. It's a perfect location, really. Fabiola's food is off the charts delicious. She bakes at least three times a day - breakfast, lunch and dinner cakes!!! The mains are primarily fish, which is super fresh obviously. The sides are terrific. Her cooking was some of the best we had in Brazil. Overall, the lodge is also one of the best value deals we experienced in Brazil. Bonus: There are no mosquitoes because of the colder waters of the Rio Negro.

• Stayed September 2013, travelled as a couple
2 Thank emiana
Los Angeles, California
Reviewed 4 October 2013

Difficult to know where to begin! As with many other reviewers, we found Tariri to be an incredible experience and so much more than we had anticipated at the outset. The location and accommodations surpassed our expectations, but what really makes this place exceptional is the warmth and service provided by Fabiola, Germano and the rest of the family members who make up the staff of Tariri, not forgetting 2 delightful children. Food was terrific, mostly based on local fish. Transportation arrangements to/from Manaus were handled very efficiently. The lack of internet service is a blessing, as this place is not geared to the big city lifestyle but rather as a refuge from the normal stresses of living in a city environment. A big plus - no mosquitoes!
Plan to return!!

#4 of 13 in Careiro
Amazon Village Jungle Lodge
Amazon Village Jungle Lodge
#18 of 220 in Amazon River

Been to Tariri Amazon Lodge? Share your experiences!